Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CharlesM posted:

Get a second opinion

Yes.

As a sidenote, my mechanic built my trust immensely when I was convinced my car had a serious, expensive problem and they came back saying it was almost nothing and could be fixed for less than $100 (which included the $70 diagnosis fee).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

bung posted:

Baby's first snow!

My current thoughts are to go for a blue WRX like yours a few years down the line... They look pretty nice now that I've gotten used to the new gen body.

But in the meantime am enjoying the only two-tone Subaru color I've ever loved: My MiniBack (outback sport) in some snow with a crappy cameraphone.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Finally, after years of wanting one, it's finally mine.

I stopped at a park on the way home from work to take another pic. I need to get all dealer and "the beauty of all-wheel drive" stickers off of this car asap. It's easy in the summertime.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Here's the very important Rally Armor pic.

ScaryFast fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 14, 2010

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

ScaryFast posted:

Finally, after years of wanting one, it's finally mine.

Here's the very important Rally Armor pic.

Nice car, congratulations. Looks very businesslike with the black steelies(?) No studs?

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

geegee posted:

Nice car, congratulations. Looks very businesslike with the black steelies(?) No studs?

Not sure what you mean by no studs. Who do you think drives? :P It occurred to me while I was brushing my teeth that you meant studs on the tires. Studded winter tires don't seem to be all that common around here. We usually just have to deal with snow rather than lots of ice.

ScaryFast fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 13, 2010

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

kimbo305 posted:

DiRT's driving model is really unsatisfying for some reason. You don't have that kind of braking power on dirt; I don't get how it works. But it's insanely fun to play the big Dakar trucks and ram your opponents on hairpins.

You don't necessarily need swaybars to do well in rallycross or rally driving in general. But I don't know that's what you were saying.

No, I'm just currently broke due to a job offer not panning out, so the upgrades I was saving up for are going towards rent and car payments instead.

However, I was driving down from Irvine, CA to Riverside, CA earlier today and took Ortega Hwy. I was lucky enough to get some serious speed down some of those S-curves, and man, while the WRX has some body-roll, I really enjoyed the ride.

(also I see now how so many moto guys die on that highway, I got passed by four or five sportbikes in full leather around the TURNS.)

Oh, and btw, is it worthwhile to get my coolant OEM, or does it matter? I've been reading poo poo about coolant additives preventing headgasket issues, but I'd rather have AI's advice on it.

adnam fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 14, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I like to use about 75% water, most of a bottle of redline water wetter, and the rest oem coolant. During the winter you'll want more coolant, though.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
OK, so I want to buy this. But it's in loving Washington, and I already have two SVXs. :sigh: Anyone near there looking for a project?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1595333807.html

$100, christ.

rendicil
Mar 30, 2003
I like to piss in the cheerios.
So I'm new to the whole Subaru thing, but I test drove a Tribeca (I have two kids in diapers and probably more on the way) and I just can't see what the fuss is all about. In the same day I test drove the CX-9 (hated), Acadia (hated), and Acura MDX (it was nice.) My wife likes the car and I wanted to hear if anyone one of you subaru people had one and could tell me how you like it so far.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Haven't driven the the Acura, but their SH-AWD system is supposed to be pretty good.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

rendicil posted:

So I'm new to the whole Subaru thing, but I test drove a Tribeca (I have two kids in diapers and probably more on the way) and I just can't see what the fuss is all about. In the same day I test drove the CX-9 (hated), Acadia (hated), and Acura MDX (it was nice.) My wife likes the car and I wanted to hear if anyone one of you subaru people had one and could tell me how you like it so far.
I can't speak for everyone but most subaru people are interested in everything but the tribeca.

If you have time you should try driving a forester 2.5xt, its about 700 pounds lighter and has a turbo, unless you're set on that class of vehicle.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think the Tribeca has more cargo room and 3rd row seating, which the Forester does not. This may be crucial if you have a third kid because the Forester will fit two, but not three comfortably. Plus the Tribeca interior is much more luxurious. I have a Forester and the interiors and dash are kind of "primative" if you know what I mean. I like it because I like stuff simple and minimal and I expect my wife and kids to spill poo poo all over it and knock into poo poo. But it's not in the class of stuff of what I imagine the MDX is.

Vladimir Putin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 15, 2010

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think the Tribeca has more cargo room and 3rd row seating, which the Forester does not. This may be crucial if you have a third kid because the Forester will fit two, but not three comfortably. Plus the Tribeca interior is much more luxurious. I have a Forester and the interiors and dash are kind of "primative" if you know what I mean. I like it because I like stuff simple and minimal and I expect my wife and kids to spill poo poo all over it and knock into poo poo. But it's not in the class of stuff of what I imagine the MDX is.

I certainly see what you're saying now. I was just thinking that it's no surprise he doesn't see the fuss about Subarus in a NA 4200 lb SUV

zephyrthebreeze
Dec 30, 2006
sine qua non
Local dealer just got an 04 STI in. Stopped by and it's spotless. Completely stock.

Dealer's website has it listed, http://www.roanstreetmotors.com/Search/Details.cfm?IID=501284783

Worth it to give it a drive?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
The wing delete throws up a flag, wouldn't be surprised if it's been put back to stock. Check to see if the heat shield is still there, and if you can see any of the turbocharger bolts easily to see if they're evidence of heavy wrenching.

zephyrthebreeze
Dec 30, 2006
sine qua non
The heat shield wasn't there, which did throw a flag for me, but after poking my head around it didn't look like anything had ever been changed out. The normal road grime that was on the piping matched all around. I spent a good half hour grilling the salesman that came out to talk to me about it but he was pretty clueless.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Ahhh... Sweet silence! I finally got around to getting rid of the creaking noise that the a-pillar covers were making. I taped some felt to the two tabs at the bottom of the cover that attach to the dash. The noise was driving me crazy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

rendicil posted:

The Tribeca is the Subaru even the most die hard fan boy avoid.

I'd look at an Outback instead.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Black88GTA posted:

OK, so I want to buy this. But it's in loving Washington, and I already have two SVXs. :sigh: Anyone near there looking for a project?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1595333807.html

$100, christ.

I was about to offer to go check it out for you, but it looks like it's already gone :(

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

zephyrthebreeze posted:

The heat shield wasn't there, which did throw a flag for me, but after poking my head around it didn't look like anything had ever been changed out. The normal road grime that was on the piping matched all around. I spent a good half hour grilling the salesman that came out to talk to me about it but he was pretty clueless.

if there's no heat shield, the car definitely had an aftermarket downpipe at some point. Compression check before you buy it.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

I was about to offer to go check it out for you, but it looks like it's already gone :(

Eh, I couldn't pick up another project right now anyway, seeing as how I already have 3 cars vying for space in the driveway, with two others slated to find their way here in the next few months. Although, if i had the room and was a bunch closer, I would have been all over it. I mainly posted it as a heads-up to anyone else who may have been looking for a clean project. Thanks for the offer anyway. :)

rendicil
Mar 30, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

The Tribeca is the Subaru even the most die hard fan boy avoid.

I'd look at an Outback instead.

Can an outback fit two kids in diapers, with a potential third and all of their stuff (including twin stroller and pack and plays and all of my wife's and my stuff (clothes) for a journey to Grandpa / Grandma's once every two months? I'm looking at the class of car because of the potential of having 3+ kids and or needing to carpool those kids.

For the most part I just can't stand the fact that I need to really buy a minivan, so I'm looking at options with three rows of seats.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Outback or Forester can haul a lot of kids/dogs/cargo but if you need that third row then I don't think Subaru has anything on offer thats any good really. The Tribeca is poo poo.

If you want something fun that can haul a lot of people then I'd recommend the Mazda CX9 "crossover". Its a minivan that isn't called a minivan so that people will still buy it, and its actually a lot of fun for something with 7 seats.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

rendicil posted:

Can an outback fit two kids in diapers, with a potential third and all of their stuff (including twin stroller and pack and plays and all of my wife's and my stuff (clothes) for a journey to Grandpa / Grandma's once every two months? I'm looking at the class of car because of the potential of having 3+ kids and or needing to carpool those kids.

For the most part I just can't stand the fact that I need to really buy a minivan, so I'm looking at options with three rows of seats.

3 kids in the outback should be fine. 3 adults fit in the back seat with ease (2010, dont know about earlier models)

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

8ender posted:

Outback or Forester can haul a lot of kids/dogs/cargo but if you need that third row then I don't think Subaru has anything on offer thats any good really. The Tribeca is poo poo.

If you want something fun that can haul a lot of people then I'd recommend the Mazda CX9 "crossover". Its a minivan that isn't called a minivan so that people will still buy it, and its actually a lot of fun for something with 7 seats.

Does the CX-9 come with the turbocharged 2.3 MZR motor like the CX-7 does?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

TurboLuvah posted:

Does the CX-9 come with the turbocharged 2.3 MZR motor like the CX-7 does?

No, its a NA 3.7L V6 producing 273hp.

rendicil
Mar 30, 2003

8ender posted:

No, its a NA 3.7L V6 producing 273hp.

I hated the way it drove and the interior was crappy compared with the Tribeca. The third row is a must really because my in-laws live right around the corner and we're buying a car specifically because we don't live in a car friendly city (Boston) and the more room we have in one car, the better to transport people around town.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

rendicil posted:

The Forester I used to have towed or stored a rally car, 8 tyres, 400 kgs of spares, luggage and recovery equipment and four passengers. Hwo the gently caress we fitted it all I dont know but if we could do that, you'll piss in 3 kids and everything else in a car that's quite a bit bigger. And an Outback drives like a car and you have the third seat option I believe.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
What's a good place to buy OEM parts (04 WRX)? The glass on my passenger side mirror is cracked and the dealership wants like $150 to replace it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

rendicil posted:

I hated the way it drove and the interior was crappy compared with the Tribeca. The third row is a must really because my in-laws live right around the corner and we're buying a car specifically because we don't live in a car friendly city (Boston) and the more room we have in one car, the better to transport people around town.

Suck it up and get a used Honda Odessey. A minivan is what you want image issues aside. It will ride and drive like a car with all the space you'll ever need and be easier to navigate with children than the alternatives.

"SUVs" are way so much cooler I know and no one wants to be seen in an uncool minivan, but you've got two small kids. Cool is not the name of the game in transporting them. It'll probably be safer and get better gas mileage too.

I don't mean to sound angry or pretentious or anything, but if basically the Outback isn't big enough, then you probably need one of those awful 3 row big time SUVs or a minivan.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Or a Mazda 5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cat Terrist posted:

And an Outback drives like a car and you have the third seat option I believe.

Not in the US you don't.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

bull3964 posted:

Not in the US you don't.

...which is a travesty. What is more American than the "wayback?" :mad:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Zsbaug24 posted:

Suck it up and get a used Honda Odyssey.

seconding this... my mom's got an Odyssey, it's a dream to drive compared to her old plymouth voyager from the mid-90's.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

MMD3 posted:

seconding this... my mom's got an Odyssey, it's a dream to drive compared to her old plymouth voyager from the mid-90's.

The Toyota Sienna is also a really solid minivan. My mom's on her second one, the only gripe she had is ground clearance. I drove the thing on a few family trips and it's pretty nice. And it's one of the non-recalled Toyotas :unsmith:

More on track, there was/is an Outback with 3rd row seats!? That should definitely be a US option. Especially in the new Behemoth Outback generation.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PabloBOOM posted:

Especially in the new Behemoth Outback generation.

the new outback is shorter than the old one.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Don Lapre posted:

the new outback is shorter than the old one.

Well paint me purple and call me Edna. I didn't really believe you until I looked up the measurements. That's... bizarre. The newest generation seems so porky compared to the old wagon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

PabloBOOM posted:

Well paint me purple and call me Edna. I didn't really believe you until I looked up the measurements. That's... bizarre. The newest generation seems so porky compared to the old wagon.

its the design, its basically grew a little taller and a little wider, but its like, inches.

if you park them next to each other they look really close in size.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Not in the US you don't.

Well, gently caress.

I guess it's the Tribeca then if you dont want a minivan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Don Lapre posted:

3 kids in the outback should be fine. 3 adults fit in the back seat with ease (2010, dont know about earlier models)
Fitting 3 full sized adults in a 2005-2009 OB/Legacy wagon for more than 15 minutes is actually a crime under the Geneva Convention.
You won't fit 3 baby seats in the back of a 2005-2009 OB, but if it is just 1 seat and the other 2 can sit in the seats or booster seats it might work.
There's more than enough room in the back for all the poo poo though.
However, you probably want something with more space or you could just stop having kids. With 2 kids, the OB is perfect.