Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

metaxus posted:

Some of the early players have 14 bit DACs, but from mid 1983 onwards, they were pretty much all 16 bit.

Talking about bits as a measure of a DAC's quality doesn't make much sense, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quartknee
Mar 20, 2009
I have a question regarding cartridges. I have a Kenwood KD-3077 and a Yamaha CA-800 receiver. I have noticed recently after moving when playing records the volume will jump up dramatically randomly and stay for a few seconds, then go back down. When this happens the midrange is being boosted as well. It is rather annoying to say the least. I have ordered a new cartridge (Shure m97xE) in hopes of remedying this. I cannot find the number of the cartridge on it now, but it is a yellow Audio/Technica. I read that the Shure is a Moving Coil cartridge, will this work with my current equipment?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Quartknee posted:

I read that the Shure is a Moving Coil cartridge, will this work with my current equipment?

A moving coil (MC) cartridge would most likely not work with your integrated preamp, since the output levels are much lower for such cartridges. Don't worry though, according to this web site, what you ordered is actually a moving magnet (MM) cartridge, which should work fine since that's the "old sort" (and still the most common).

Quartknee
Mar 20, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

A moving coil (MC) cartridge would most likely not work with your integrated preamp, since the output levels are much lower for such cartridges. Don't worry though, according to this web site, what you ordered is actually a moving magnet (MM) cartridge, which should work fine since that's the "old sort" (and still the most common).

Oh wow, I even looked at those specs and missed that!
the last page of this thread is actually what got me going!

Owsla posted:

...running an MC cart like the Shure m97xe I run on my setup...
maybe Owsla just had a typo, thanks for the help!

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Yep sorry about that, my bad. You're going to love that cart though! After well over 2 years on the first one with regular use and no reduction in sound quality I just put on another one for good measure and I don't think I'll ever buy anything else. They track perfectly and sound great all the way across the spectrum.

Quartknee
Mar 20, 2009

Owsla posted:

You're going to love that cart though!

Thanks, I've heard a lot of good things, including yours from this thread. I just really want the volume spike problem to be solved. I figured I would start at the source.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a manual for my turntable, Kenwood KD-3077? I guess it's a rare model and vinyl engine doesn't have it. The images of the manual imply that the kd-3070 uses the same manual but that is evasive as well.

Quartknee fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 12, 2010

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I'm looking at picking up a used SL1210 on the weekend, can anyone think of any problem to look out for (other than the obvious)? It will need a a new cartridge and stylus, what should I look at that's cheap and decent for home listening and ripping vinyl?

BK Dymacel
Dec 23, 2009

stupid little gayby posted:

I already asked in the general questions thread, but I figure I'd be better off here: I have a harman/kardon 330c stereo receiver, and the right audio channel isn't working, through speakers or headphones. I'm uh well retarded and have no idea how these things work, but I opened it up to see if there was any obvious damage, and noticed this little guy here was loose. Could he be the problem orrr any other ideas

Hard to say what that exactly goes to, but if it's indeed loose, it very well could be causing an open in the right channel's circuit. If you can solder, or if you know anyone who can, try resoldering it back on (probably from the other side of the circuit board)

Oh yeah, and make sure its off and unplugged when you try fixing it.

Best of luck.

-BK

Face Of Bear
Oct 29, 2004
I can't figure out what's wrong with my turntable.
I tried to hook it up for the first time today hoping to hear classic madness with some charming lp crackle, but the result was discouraging.

-Only sound from one channel
-More static than music
-skips grooves all the time

I've tried adjusting the anti-skate and counterweight but it's only making it worse.
It's a Technics SL-B2 with a new stylus and drive belt, any help would be appreciated.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Static and only one channel seems to indicate that your cartridge is incorrectly wired, or a connection is loose. I guess you could start with checking the phono cables for bad connection, then proceed to check the connections to your cartridge, then check the wires inside the tonearm (since those are the most difficult to get to).

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 20, 2010

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I picked up a $5 turntable from a kijiji ad last summer. It's a JVC QL-A5. Nothing spectacular, but better than nothing. It's been sitting in my closet until a few weeks ago when I finally broke down and bought a new cartridge/stylus and a preamp for it. I went with an AT110E cartridge and an ATPEQ3 preamp. Did I do good?

Turns out something was wrong with the gears inside the turntable, and all its automatic functionality was not working. I removed a single spring and adjusted some levers inside so that as long as it was plugged in, the platter spins and I can manually place the arm onto the record surface. The quartz lock works spot-on, and it sounds very nice. I need better speakers, though. I am currently using a set of 5.1 logitech's. Shameful, I know.

:smith:

My one gripe is that it skips very very easily if I walk by the table it sits on. I have hardwood floors, so a lot of vibration travels up into it, I guess.

e: looking at the vintage receivers in this thread makes me want one very badly. The problem is my living room setup doesn't really allow for any more electronics what with video game consoles, dvd players, satellite receivers and the such.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 24, 2010

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

iamthejeff posted:

I picked up a $5 turntable from a kijiji ad last summer. It's a JVC QL-A5. Nothing spectacular, but better than nothing. It's been sitting in my closet until a few weeks ago when I finally broke down and bought a new cartridge/stylus and a preamp for it. I went with an AT110E cartridge and an ATPEQ3 preamp. Did I do good?

Turns out something was wrong with the gears inside the turntable, and all its automatic functionality was not working. I removed a single spring and adjusted some levers inside so that as long as it was plugged in, the platter spins and I can manually place the arm onto the record surface. The quartz lock works spot-on, and it sounds very nice. I need better speakers, though. I am currently using a set of 5.1 logitech's. Shameful, I know.

:smith:

My one gripe is that it skips very very easily if I walk by the table it sits on. I have hardwood floors, so a lot of vibration travels up into it, I guess.

e: looking at the vintage receivers in this thread makes me want one very badly. The problem is my living room setup doesn't really allow for any more electronics what with video game consoles, dvd players, satellite receivers and the such.

If it's skipping so easy it probably means the counterweight isn't adjusted properly.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

If it's skipping so easy it probably means the counterweight isn't adjusted properly.

I followed some guides on how to adjust it (balance the arm so the needle floats just above the record surface, then increase the weight to the specified amount for your cartridge), and I even tried it at all places between the recommended spectrum (1.0 to 2.0 grams). Plays fine, but I have to sit on the sofa across the room and ask that nobody walks by.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

iamthejeff posted:

Plays fine, but I have to sit on the sofa across the room and ask that nobody walks by.

A wall shelf would likely solve this problem.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I have a very stupid question: I have a Craig stereo from the late 70s, and it doesn't have a cartridge on it. It has a stylus that flips from LP to 78.

Can anyone who knows more about these tell me if I can add a cartridge to this tonearm? I believe I can see the 4 colored wires at the back of where the cartridge would be, but I'm not sure if these types of record players can be converted for cartridges.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I'm looking at buying my first turntable, but the market here in Korea has a dearth of entry level and midrange stuff, so was wondering about these models.

Marantz TT-42  
Denon DP-200USB
Rega P1
Project Debut 3E/3SE
Denon DP-300F
Music Hall MMF 2.1
Sherwood PM-9905

I'm leaning towards the Sherwood and the Denons, but the Marantz looks decent if basic. Prices here are about 20% higher than the US and since I don't want to go over $500, my options are limited. The Rega and the Project Debuts look good, but are about $600 here, so I don't know.

I'm also looking at the Cambridge 540p preamp. Any thoughts on that?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

Momonari kun posted:

I'm leaning towards the Sherwood and the Denons, but the Marantz looks decent if basic. Prices here are about 20% higher than the US and since I don't want to go over $500, my options are limited. The Rega and the Project Debuts look good, but are about $600 here, so I don't know.

I'm also looking at the Cambridge 540p preamp. Any thoughts on that?

I have a Rega P2 that I bought used on Audiogon for a couple hundred. Those dudes are pretty serious about keeping their stuff in good shape - is that an option for you? Not sure if anyone will ship to Korea.

I also have the Cambridge 540p, and I have no complaints, except that there's no way to turn off the blue LED

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

bacon! posted:

I have a Rega P2 that I bought used on Audiogon for a couple hundred. Those dudes are pretty serious about keeping their stuff in good shape - is that an option for you? Not sure if anyone will ship to Korea.

Seems like a bad idea buying a used product from overseas. I'd probably get hit with customs fees as well.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

iamthejeff posted:

I followed some guides on how to adjust it (balance the arm so the needle floats just above the record surface, then increase the weight to the specified amount for your cartridge), and I even tried it at all places between the recommended spectrum (1.0 to 2.0 grams). Plays fine, but I have to sit on the sofa across the room and ask that nobody walks by.

Is your preamp or other audio components on the same surface or over/under it? Move them somewhere! Put some felt pads under the feet of the table too.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

iamthejeff posted:

If it gets really bothersome, you could try suspending a shelf from the ceiling via rope/cable/chain, just make sure your mounting points are secure into a stud.

Fly the lines out at an angle a bit so the table will resist swaying. Use those adjustable dual hook tensioners to get the final level perfect.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
My Technics SL-1600 Mk 2's start-stop button and tonearm lift have never worked (inherited it from my parents) and I've decided to try and fix it.

From what I can tell on other forums, the tone arm lift on a 1600 is motor-driven, not hydraulic, and after cracking it open, it is clear that the belt has just disintegrated. Can anyone confirm that the lift mechanism is entirely motor-driven, and there isn't a chance that it has an oil / hydraulic system that has completely dried up?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Soopafly posted:

My Technics SL-1600 Mk 2's start-stop button and tonearm lift have never worked (inherited it from my parents) and I've decided to try and fix it.

From what I can tell on other forums, the tone arm lift on a 1600 is motor-driven, not hydraulic, and after cracking it open, it is clear that the belt has just disintegrated. Can anyone confirm that the lift mechanism is entirely motor-driven, and there isn't a chance that it has an oil / hydraulic system that has completely dried up?

Never heard of a hydraulic turntable before, but a google search proves me wrong.
On the other hand, a quick google for "sl-1600 cueing" also finds references to a drive belt being the culprit, so check that out.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Yeah, it was the belt. I fixed it with a 49 cent o-ring from Ace Hardware, and then after some height adjustments, it's working as good as new.

Also, I was just using the word hydraulic willy-nilly. From what I understand, the cue lever uses an oil-filled mechanism, whose viscosity allows the smooth action of the lift, and I immediately went HURR HYDRAULICS.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I am looking at purchasing a Toshiba SA-725 I found on craigslist for $20 does anyone know anything about this receiver? Google has brought me no results, or does anyone have an opinion on these old Toshiba receivers?

Harry Privates fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 14, 2010

BK Dymacel
Dec 23, 2009
Does anybody have experience with Zu Audio speakers? Specifically Druid or Essence?
I'm looking for full range speakers so I can forgo the need of a sub.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BK Dymacel posted:

Does anybody have experience with Zu Audio speakers? Specifically Druid or Essence?
I'm looking for full range speakers so I can forgo the need of a sub.

I wish I could say I did. I'm working on trying to get to the rocky mountain audio show this year and zu is on my short list of companies to check out. I've heard great things about them from a few people I trust. I've got a feeling that the druid is overall the better speaker for the money, but I obviously can't make that judgment without sitting and listening myself.

If you have the funds, why not order a pair and give them a shot? The 60-day return policy would give you plenty of time to try them out in your own space.

BK Dymacel
Dec 23, 2009
The Druid probably is a better 'bang for the buck', but I've heard it is lacking in the lower end frequencies and that the Essence is basically a Druid with a fuller range.
I really wish I could just buy them right now and give them a trial, but I'm still working on that 'funds' part.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

Speaking of speakers that can forgo a sub, are there any floor standers in the $500 or less range that put out real bass?

I loving hate any music setup I've heard as 2.1. I know with advanced bass management and yada yada it can probably sound seamless, but with a standard stereo or surround receiver the sub sound separated and gross to me.

Edit: Right now I'm running KEF iQ3s powered by a Yamaha RX-497 receiver. Low end is obviously lacking due to the iQ3s being bookshelfs.

On Unicornback fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 17, 2010

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BK Dymacel posted:

The Druid probably is a better 'bang for the buck', but I've heard it is lacking in the lower end frequencies and that the Essence is basically a Druid with a fuller range.

I'd be really curious to see the frequency response for the two speakers. They both (at least now) use the same full-range driver and share the same basic design, with the Essence having a larger cabinet. Zu's specs only claim a 5 Hz difference, but maybe the cabinet design is causing some sort of bass bump in the Essence that gives it fuller bass. Zu's design philosophy tends towards slightly exaggerated bass, so I would imagine that might be the case.

Either way, I'm really interested in getting a chance to listen to them, and since I'm moving ~35 miles away from their factory next month, hopefully I'll get that chance soon.

BK Dymacel
Dec 23, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'd be really curious to see the frequency response for the two speakers. They both (at least now) use the same full-range driver and share the same basic design, with the Essence having a larger cabinet. Zu's specs only claim a 5 Hz difference, but maybe the cabinet design is causing some sort of bass bump in the Essence that gives it fuller bass. Zu's design philosophy tends towards slightly exaggerated bass, so I would imagine that might be the case.

Either way, I'm really interested in getting a chance to listen to them, and since I'm moving ~35 miles away from their factory next month, hopefully I'll get that chance soon.

From what I understand, the Essence's full range driver is a modified version of the driver in the Druid. Not sure if I'd be able to notice the improvement or not.

Thats really cool that you are moving close to their factory! I'd love to hear a follow up from you on your impressions.

Rowe
May 16, 2006

Pibborando San posted:

e: and this beautiful and inexpensive record clamp as well

This is from awhile back but I was interested in picking up a clamp and the link doesn't work anymore. Which one did you end up going with?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I have a very stupid question: I have a Craig stereo from the late 70s, and it doesn't have a cartridge on it. It has a stylus that flips from LP to 78.

Can anyone who knows more about these tell me if I can add a cartridge to this tonearm? I believe I can see the 4 colored wires at the back of where the cartridge would be, but I'm not sure if these types of record players can be converted for cartridges.

I'm just quoting my post from higher up to see if anyone knew anything about this.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I posted this in the quick questions thread before I saw this thread so crosspost:

longview posted:

Hi all, I know this is isn't precisely the right thread but I was hoping someone could help me date this amplifier I found in a storage room in school:

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

The name is EL6400, Philips, what I've found is a German manual with no date in it and various discussions on turning it into a guitar amplifier, but no year.
The tubes in it are EL81 class B outputs, ECC81 and EL40 preamplifiers.
Since then I have found a perfect use: mono surround speakers to complement my primary stereo, Pro Logic is pretty awesome when set ut properly.

Another piece of vintage tech I am hopeful someone will have specs on, a Citronic CS210 graphic equalizer was also given to me recently.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I just grabbed my dad's Sansui FR-4060 turntable, and it seems like it's in great shape. Cranked the 7" of Billie Jean and Rock With You like a motherfucker.

One question: I think the adapter that I have for large hole 7" singles is warped, but I can't find out how to get a new one because I don't know what it's called.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 22, 2010

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
45 rpm post insert, like this

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

I remember a while back, 1000 Umbrellas was looking for a rack-mountable component system and ended up "settling" for some Emotiva gear. Well, good news for him and anyone else looking for both:

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=accessories&action=display&thread=10450&page=1

Just thought I'd follow up with that as I saw it posted today.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
I have some new toys.

Firstly, a Technics SL-10 linear tracking deck.

Bought on eBay for AUD$235 shipped (in non-working order, I might add).

I stripped down the upper half and mechanically serviced the tonearm mech (and fitted a new Ortofon OMP-10 cartridge) the day it arrived, so it plays perfectly now, but it's in dire need of a cosmetic overhaul though - The paint is bubbling around the control buttons, and it's covered in marks and scratches.

I'm going to take the two chassis halves to be media blasted and then repaint them... Just need to take it to a paint shop and have them measure it then mix me up an aerosol of the original color.

Fortunately, the acrylic window on top doesn't have any deep scratches, so some elbow grease and polish should clean it up.

Secondly, I built my own vacuum record cleaning machine.

Based on the VPI style design (wide vacuum wand with a slit in it) and an old turntable of mine, It's been assembled entirely out of parts from the hardware store at a total cost of about AUD$80.

I'm gonna take some pics of it shortly to inspire you all, but my records have never sounded this good... Cleaning with a carbon brush and a spray & wipe over will only do so much. Wet wash and vacuum *really* gets the grooves clean.

Every record I've cleaned so far has come out sounding fantastic, and with a rainbow sheen to the grooves, like new.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

metaxus posted:

Secondly, I built my own vacuum record cleaning machine.

Based on the VPI style design (wide vacuum wand with a slit in it) and an old turntable of mine, It's been assembled entirely out of parts from the hardware store at a total cost of about AUD$80.

I'm gonna take some pics of it shortly to inspire you all, but my records have never sounded this good... Cleaning with a carbon brush and a spray & wipe over will only do so much. Wet wash and vacuum *really* gets the grooves clean.

Every record I've cleaned so far has come out sounding fantastic, and with a rainbow sheen to the grooves, like new.

I, for one, am very interested in hearing more about this. I look forward to the pics!

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
I have a pair JBL L-36's from about 1976 and one of them has started to get really fuzzy on low sustained bass. Is there an easy way to figure out what might be causing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

aricoarena posted:

I have a pair JBL L-36's from about 1976 and one of them has started to get really fuzzy on low sustained bass. Is there an easy way to figure out what might be causing this?

Considering the age, I'd assume the foam surrounds have deteriorated. If you can remove the grills you should be able to see whether this is the case. It's a pretty simple fix that you should be able to do yourself.