Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Mock the Cross posted:

I'm looking for period movies that take place in the nineteenth century, roughly. Good examples of what I'm looking for are The Illusionist, The Prestige, Sherlock Holmes (hey, it was a fun movie!), Dorian Gray, The Wolfman (which I cant wait to see) and so on.

I am completely in love with this setting and would greatly appreciate any recommendations of great films that take place in it.

Sweeney Todd (very good)
The Count of Monte Cristo (eh)
Bright Star (haven't seen but desperately want to)
The Four Feathers (eh)
Vanity Fair (eh)
The BBC adaptation of Bleak House is a pretty good mini series.

Of those, Sweeney Todd is probably most like what you're looking for. I love the the Victorian city setting too, and wish there were more good films set in it.

EDIT: Coppola's Dracula fits this criterion too.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

Mock the Cross posted:

I'm looking for period movies that take place in the nineteenth century, roughly. Good examples of what I'm looking for are The Illusionist, The Prestige, Sherlock Holmes (hey, it was a fun movie!), Dorian Gray, The Wolfman (which I cant wait to see) and so on.

I am completely in love with this setting and would greatly appreciate any recommendations of great films that take place in it.

The Dead (ok, it's 1904)

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I just saw Timecrimes and between that and Moon I'm jonesin' for some other recent, fairly low budget and extremely good sci-fi. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

codyclarke posted:

I just saw Timecrimes and between that and Moon I'm jonesin' for some other recent, fairly low budget and extremely good sci-fi. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The obvious answer here is Primer. It's about two guys who build a machine in their garage that...well, you really should know very little. Except that it gets really, really complicated - I've seen it a few times and am just starting to figure it all out.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

ClydeUmney posted:

The obvious answer here is Primer. It's about two guys who build a machine in their garage that...well, you really should know very little. Except that it gets really, really complicated - I've seen it a few times and am just starting to figure it all out.

I saw Primer and liked it a lot! Probably should have mentioned that, as its a goon favorite. I've also seen Memento, Following, The Prestige. I'm looking for more under the radar stuff.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

codyclarke posted:

Timecrimes was great. I think the main problem will be that there's little low-budget recent sci-fi. Which 2 of those three qualities (recent / low budget / sci-fi) are most important? If you can look past 'recent', then THX1138, Andromeda Strain, and Logan's Run (cheesy but still good) are solid choices.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

codyclarke posted:

Not sure if it's technically 'sci-fi' but I'd recommend Special starring Michael Rappaport.

It's all about how one man's life changes when he starts a clinical drug trial.

You might also be interested in Intacto. It's a Spanish film following the fortunes and misfortunes of a group of people who have learnt how to 'steal' luck from others.

As with Special, calling it 'sci-fi' might be going a bit far but it certainly has a bit of an edge.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Oh, 2046 might work too. I'm not sure if it's science fiction or not. I mean it is, but ...

QueenOfTheEyesores
Sep 12, 2008
I'm trying to find a lesbian movie that isn't a) entirely depressing or b) just sex. Help?

Also, SKEET SKEET, Zodiac is decently palatable if you're looking for a movie featuring events from history.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

regulargonzalez posted:

Timecrimes was great. I think the main problem will be that there's little low-budget recent sci-fi. Which 2 of those three qualities (recent / low budget / sci-fi) are most important? If you can look past 'recent', then THX1138, Andromeda Strain, and Logan's Run (cheesy but still good) are solid choices.

I'm mostly just looking for stuff that might have slipped by my radar. I guess that's what I mean by low-budget, stuff that might have seen one or two theaters or whatever. I've seen most of the classics, so I'm looking for more contemporary stuff.

2046 I've seen and loved, and Special and Intacto sound great! Thanks for the recommendations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

I'm mostly just looking for stuff that might have slipped by my radar. I guess that's what I mean by low-budget, stuff that might have seen one or two theaters or whatever. I've seen most of the classics, so I'm looking for more contemporary stuff.

Save the Green Planet? Code 46?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What are some good movies about journalism/mass media screwing people over? It can be serious (Ace In the Hole, A Face In The Crowd) or silly (Network, to a lesser extent Tomorrow Never Dies).

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The Truman Show?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

What are some good movies about journalism/mass media screwing people over? It can be serious (Ace In the Hole, A Face In The Crowd) or silly (Network, to a lesser extent Tomorrow Never Dies).

Wag the Dog

QueenOfTheEyesores
Sep 12, 2008

DiscoJ posted:

The Truman Show?

Definitely this.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

QueenOfTheEyesores posted:

I'm trying to find a lesbian movie that isn't a) entirely depressing or b) just sex. Help?

Also, SKEET SKEET, Zodiac is decently palatable if you're looking for a movie featuring events from history.

loving Åmål (American title: Show Me Love) is the only non-depressing/non-sexual lesbian movie I think I've ever seen.

And I'm aware of the irony of a movie with "loving" in the title not being sexual at all.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

The Cameo posted:

loving Åmål (American title: Show Me Love) is the only non-depressing/non-sexual lesbian movie I think I've ever seen.

And I'm aware of the irony of a movie with "loving" in the title not being sexual at all.
Definitely see this, it's a great movie no matter your orientation. :unsmith:

(Just wanted to clarify that "loving" in the original title is meant to be an adjective, Åmål is the name of the town it takes place in.)

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

The Cameo posted:

The only thing in this movie that isn't depressing is the end.

QueenOfTheEyesores
Sep 12, 2008

northerain posted:

The only thing in this movie that isn't depressing is the end.

I'll check it out anyway. After watching Boys Don't Cry (not lesbian, but in the genre) I wanted to kill everyone on earth and then myself. It's a great movie that I never, never, ever want to see again.

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn
I would like to see more video game movies. Not like Final Fantasy/Super Mario/Resident Evil type poo poo. I mean like King of Kong or Chasing Ghosts type movies. Or even some cheese like The Wizard.

Are there any big video game movies that maybe I somehow missed?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Coffey posted:

I would like to see more video game movies. Not like Final Fantasy/Super Mario/Resident Evil type poo poo. I mean like King of Kong or Chasing Ghosts type movies. Or even some cheese like The Wizard.

Are there any big video game movies that maybe I somehow missed?

Tron rules, but it's kind of an in-betweener for the two categories you listed.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I recently watched Machine Girl, an over-the-top ultra-violent Japanese movie.

Gore has loss its appeal to me but I liked the way they did in that movie because it was unrealistic to the effect that it became comedic.

Can I get recommendations for similar movies? I've seen Dead Alive and loved it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Chinaski posted:

Gore has loss its appeal to me but I liked the way they did in that movie because it was unrealistic to the effect that it became comedic.

Can I get recommendations for similar movies? I've seen Dead Alive and loved it.

I'd say the obvious choice is Takashi Miike. Especially Ichi the Killer.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chinaski posted:

Riki-Oh:The Story of Ricky is the king of comedic over-the-top gore in my book.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for the two suggestions. I've got Ichi the Killer in our Netflix streaming queue so I'll check it out.

I've seen bits and pieces over the years of Riki-Oh but never the whole thing. It doesn't look like Netflix currently has it but I've saved it for my queue.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Chinaski posted:

FitFortDanga mentioned Miike and Ichi the Killer, and I can't argue with that recommendation. I would also recommend Gozu, which is basically Miike's version of a western/mystery ... with a bit of surprise element!

You would also probably like Battle Royale.

Perhaps you all can assist me. My favorite movies are all lingering, stark, stylistic, psychological films (Bela Tarr's "Damnation", many of Bergman, Tarkovsky's "Solyaris" and "Stalker"), and I would love to discover a new director with this sort of powerful niche. I've been hearing a lot about Michael Haneke lately, and I didn't realize he did "Funny Games," which was pretty good, but apparently not his usual style.

So, anybody who can recommend me a methodical, slow, stylized, philosophical journey would be my friend immediately.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 12, 2010

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

i am not so sure posted:

FitFortDanga mentioned Miike and Ichi the Killer, and I can't argue with that recommendation. I would also recommend Gozu, which is basically Miike's version of a western/mystery ... with a bit of surprise element!

You would also probably like Battle Royale.

Perhaps you all can assist me. My favorite movies are all lingering, stark, stylistic, psychological films (Bela Tarr's "Damnation", many of Bergman, Tarkovsky's "Solyaris" and "Stalker"), and I would love to discover a new director with this sort of powerful niche. I've been hearing a lot about Michael Haneke lately, and I didn't realize he did "Funny Games," which was pretty good, but apparently not his usual style.

So, anybody who can recommend me a methodical, slow, stylized, philosophical journey would be my friend immediately.

Im a HUGE Haneke fan, and can assure you that all his films would probably be up your alley, but the ones you should probably hit up first given your tastes are Time of the Wolf, Cache, and The Seventh Continent.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

codyclarke posted:

Im a HUGE Haneke fan, and can assure you that all his films would probably be up your alley, but the ones you should probably hit up first given your tastes are Time of the Wolf, Cache, and The Seventh Continent.

Awesome. I'll watch Time of the Wolf and The Seventh Continent this week. Thanks!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

i am not so sure posted:

These are some of my favorite kind of movies as well.

The Bothersome Man
Syndromes and a Century
What Time Is It There?
I Don't Want to Sleep Alone
The Conformist
Mother and Son
Songs from the Second Floor
You, the Living
Last Year at Marienbad
Three Colors: Blue
(the whole trilogy is good, but Blue most suits what you're looking for)
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Innocence
Woman in the Dunes
The Beautiful Washing Machine
Safe
Red Desert
Rosetta

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Chinaski posted:

I think Machine Girl is a sequel to ''Tokyo Gore Police'' (or maybe the same director, dunno).

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

northerain posted:

I think Machine Girl is a sequel to ''Tokyo Gore Police'' (or maybe the same director, dunno).

Awesome - thanks. I'll check it out.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Can someone recommend me stylish movies that have the type of clothes/vibe as A Single Man, or the show Mad Men? I guess early 60s would be it. Preferably dramas.
Far From Heaven is the obvious one.

oceanside posted:

So, I've been watching The Unit lately and marvelling in the cool secrecy that surrounds their existence and stuff. Are there any movies with covert operations, preferably by some sort of special/elite forces.
Spartan, also by David Mamet.

QueenOfTheEyesores posted:

Bound is pretty decent.

lindramine posted:

I'm looking for some good (for me) vampire movies.
Thirst, by Chan-Wook Park.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I've never seen any of the Hammer Horror films, and they seem like something I'd like a lot.

What's a good one to start with?

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm having a movie day/night pretty soon with a couple of friends and here is a big list of movies that we have plan. Got about 3-4 people to do this and actually agree to it (as we are all self-entitled movie critics :smug:) and most of these movies haven't been seen from some of the others.

I however have seen all of them :v:

Alien, Aliens, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, 12 Monkeys, Unbreakable, Memento

I wanted to sneak in American Psycho but one of the girls hates horror movies to a degree and I guess it's been a long time since I've seen American Pyscho because I think of it a thriller rather than a horror film :(

She has said that she if I present a good argument that we can add it to the list, but I don't think it's worth the effort.

What I'm pretty much asking, is there any other movie that I should plan for on the night in the same vein as any of the above movies? More importantly ones that the other people would enjoy :<

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Zomodok posted:

I'm having a movie day/night pretty soon with a couple of friends and here is a big list of movies that we have plan. Got about 3-4 people to do this and actually agree to it (as we are all self-entitled movie critics :smug:) and most of these movies haven't been seen from some of the others.

I however have seen all of them :v:

Alien, Aliens, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, 12 Monkeys, Unbreakable, Memento

I wanted to sneak in American Psycho but one of the girls hates horror movies to a degree and I guess it's been a long time since I've seen American Pyscho because I think of it a thriller rather than a horror film :(

She has said that she if I present a good argument that we can add it to the list, but I don't think it's worth the effort.

What I'm pretty much asking, is there any other movie that I should plan for on the night in the same vein as any of the above movies? More importantly ones that the other people would enjoy :<

Those movies have barely anything in common with each other. Requiem for a Dream and Aliens?

That aside, how about ''The Jacket'' or ''The Machinist''? Fight Club maybe?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't understand how you have someone who hates horror movies, but you're showing Alien. That's ten times the horror movie as American Psycho.

Frederik
Aug 9, 2008

codyclarke posted:

I saw Primer and liked it a lot! Probably should have mentioned that, as its a goon favorite. I've also seen Memento, Following, The Prestige. I'm looking for more under the radar stuff.

If you liked Memento, go watch Triangle, it's just out on DVD now. It's amazing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blast Fantasto posted:

I don't understand how you have someone who hates horror movies, but you're showing Alien. That's ten times the horror movie as American Psycho.

See that's the thing, she's actually seen alien before and considers it a "tense action movie" :psyduck:

But I just don't see how American Psycho is a horror movie. I remember it being a lot more, not-horrifying. But then again it's been awhile since I've seen it :shobon:

Thanks for the suggestions :]

Also yeah northerain, the movies are all in a different genre, there's no theme for the night :)

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I'm going to be extremely vague here, because I'm not looking for anything specific within this criteria. I considered making a new thread since it's such a lot to cover (have there been previous ones?) but I'm looking for your guys recommendations of modern European films. This is kind of a two-tier request.

I've been very interested in French films made since 2000 (A Prophet, Cache, Mesrine: Part 1 - Death Instinct) and I've seen a few others from Germany, The Netherlands and Sweden. I'm looking for films in the action, drama, thriller or crime genres. Anything you think is worth checking out.

The second-tier of the request is because of the recent love I've developed for Balkan films. I've watched a lot of Emir Kusturica and some other great movies (Bal-Can-Can, Tockovi). So I'm looking for requests along those lines too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

oceanside posted:

I've been very interested in French films made since 2000 (A Prophet, Cache, Mesrine: Part 1 - Death Instinct) and I've seen a few others from Germany, The Netherlands and Sweden. I'm looking for films in the action, drama, thriller or crime genres. Anything you think is worth checking out.

So, are you looking for films from France, or any French language films, or anything European at all?

oceanside posted:

The second-tier of the request is because of the recent love I've developed for Balkan films. I've watched a lot of Emir Kusturica and some other great movies (Bal-Can-Can, Tockovi). So I'm looking for requests along those lines too.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Distant (Uzak)
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
12:08 East of Bucharest
I Even Met Happy Gypsies
(especially if you like Kusturica)
Before the Rain
Eternity and a Day

• Locked thread