Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
King Nothing: Don't worry about it. Depends entirely on what you're shooting and light conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Yeah its just a rough rule of thumb. If you have a steady hand or can brace against something you can go lower. Also, if you are hopped up on coffee you might need to go higher :p

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

King Nothing posted:

Over in the Canon thread they're talking about how your minimum shutter speed should be 1/focal length for...maximum sharpness I guess? How does this apply to P&S cameras? My S90's lens is 6.0-22.5mm, which is a 28-105mm equivalent in 35mm. So if I'm fully zoomed out, does that mean I should aim for a 1/28th second minimum shutter speed? Does the f-rating of the lens matter at all?

Generally when people use this rule, they are already shooting 'wide open' at the largest aperture because there isn't enough light. The sharpness you're referring to is the steadiest an average person can hold the camera still while taking the picture. Your're S90 should also have some image stabilization built in. On my Fuji p&S, that IS makes a good bit of difference in low light.

kill your sons
Aug 29, 2005

Charles V. Forge
Can anyone tell me what James Day doing to make his portraits look like this?

Click here for the full 630x619 image.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Hard rim lights, some kind of really direct, frontal light source (looks like it might be two umbrellas on each side). Then digitally really clean color correction and probably some kind of high pass to bring out detail / up contrast.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

kill your sons posted:

Can anyone tell me what James Day doing to make his portraits look like this?

Click here for the full 630x619 image.

Why would you want to emulate that? It looks like horrible face masks flattened out on a scanner.

kill your sons
Aug 29, 2005

Charles V. Forge

brad industry posted:

Hard rim lights, some kind of really direct, frontal light source (looks like it might be two umbrellas on each side). Then digitally really clean color correction and probably some kind of high pass to bring out detail / up contrast.

thanks brad

poopinmymouth posted:

Why would you want to emulate that? It looks like horrible face masks flattened out on a scanner.

very constructive, thank you

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

poopinmymouth posted:

because, like, dave hill, man

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Do you guys not look at photos outside of the internet or something, James Day rules / is not a gimmick like Dave Hill.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

brad industry posted:

James Day rules

Um. Yes. Wow.

I have to admit, I was a little put off by his portraits at first, but his still life is unbelievable.

It definitely doesn't hurt that his website is slick as hell, too, and is one of the few I've seen that actually feels like it supports the work instead of just surrounding it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

Do you guys not look at photos outside of the internet or something, James Day rules / is not a gimmick like Dave Hill.

He might have nice work in other areas, but those are pretty awful portraits of very unattractive men. The incomplete rim light on the guy on the right blocked by the left guy's head is sloppy, the lighting itself is flattening their faces for no discernible reason, and that neck beard is atrocious.

*edit* Looked at his site, and I can't stand any of his portraits. The lighting is all over the place and doesn't seem to work with the faces, and you claim it's not a gimick, but almost everyone follows the same overbright rim light formula. I find it really hard to look at or appreciate as portraiture.

*edit2* lol, it even has crazy topaz adjust look to a lot of them of oversharpened halos attempting to bring out more detail and micro contrast. I'm not seeing it, this look like really bad portraiture that uses the same look and processing regardless of facial features, ie, just like Dave Hill. (bad)

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 9, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

poopinmymouth posted:

He might have nice work in other areas, but those are pretty awful portraits of very unattractive men.

You never speak that way about Thom Yorke again!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

fronkpies posted:

You never speak that way about Thom Yorke again!

Nor of David Byrne! (That is David Byrne right?)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

brad industry posted:

I saw his photos in an Audi mag a while back... while technically very good, they just wern't appealing to me at all..

edit: they're all on his website.

edit 2: I guess that's what makes photography an art. I'm sure many people would say comments similar to mine above with regards to Martin Schoeller's work, which I hold in the highest regard

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 10, 2010

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I wouldn't like his portraits if they were painted. It's one of those cases where the process doesn't matter, I just don't like how it looks... His Dove photos look okay, and I also think his still lifes are quite awesome.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Cyberbob posted:

I saw his photos in an Audi mag a while back... while technically very good, they just wern't appealing to me at all..

edit: they're all on his website.

edit 2: I guess that's what makes photography an art. I'm sure many people would say comments similar to mine above with regards to Martin Schoeller's work, which I hold in the highest regard

You know I went to google Martin Schoeller and he's got a greyed out link for downloading and viewing his portfolio on the iPad already. The Future

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

What is that kind of photography called that makes everything look like really finely detailed scaled models? Sorry if thats vague.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Mr. Clark2 posted:

What is that kind of photography called that makes everything look like really finely detailed scaled models? Sorry if thats vague.

tilt shift

WELL SURE IF YOU WANT TO GET ALL SCIENTIFIC ABOUT IT!

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

squidflakes fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 11, 2010

brad industry
May 22, 2004
scheimpflug principle :argh:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Clark2 posted:

'Making of a smaller government' :smug:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/4311870364/

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with Ken Rockwell? I know that almost every photo hardware related google search leads to his site and it seems like he is universally hated around here. Why?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

nerdz posted:

What's the deal with Ken Rockwell? I know that almost every photo hardware related google search leads to his site and it seems like he is universally hated around here. Why?

Here is the secret- Ken Rockwell is a huge troll. He says a couple reasonable things, then a bunch of outrageous things. He has been around since the dawn of internet pixel peeping, so he gets great search results- which means he makes bank off of site hits and referrals. He does poo poo to make everyone get pissy and link to back to the silly things he says. There was an old page on a former version (or current, who knows!) of his site that basically said this much and it is all a huge joke.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
What's the general consensus on SmugMug?

I currently have a Flickr account, but recently I've grown to hate the site and barely use it anymore. My subscription is up soon and I want to find something better. All I'm really looking for is a reliable, useable, and aesthetically appealing site to store/display photos — and preferably one without a retarded social networking feel to it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Eutheria posted:

I currently have a Flickr account, but recently I've grown to hate the site and barely use it anymore. My subscription is up soon and I want to find something better. All I'm really looking for is a reliable, useable, and aesthetically appealing site to store/display photos — and preferably one without a retarded social networking feel to it.

Then smugmug is definitely your best bet.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Eutheria posted:

SmugMug is awesome and it is worth every penny. But you can save half the pennies for your first year! Use coupon code "FLICKR" for 50% off!

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Can someone tell me why images in lightroom/photoshop look cooler (bluer) in program than when exported? It seems that when I export an image in any color space, the images are much warmer.

When I export images AdobeRBG and view them with a program that doesn't correct color space (so if i view AdobeRBG color space jpgs in sRBG) the images look exactly likr they do in lightroom... what the hell

Oh, when I reimport the JPGs and view them in lightroom, they look right. I thought lightroom was supposed to handle all this crap

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eutheria posted:

Have it, like it. HPL uses it more extensively than I do so pester him about it.
With Friedl's LR2 plugin it becomes a 2-click breeze to toss stuff online.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Eutheria posted:

There are also some programs out there to suck all your current stuff from flickr to smugmug.

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

notlodar posted:

Can someone tell me why images in lightroom/photoshop look cooler (bluer) in program than when exported? It seems that when I export an image in any color space, the images are much warmer.

When I export images AdobeRBG and view them with a program that doesn't correct color space (so if i view AdobeRBG color space jpgs in sRBG) the images look exactly likr they do in lightroom... what the hell

Oh, when I reimport the JPGs and view them in lightroom, they look right. I thought lightroom was supposed to handle all this crap

I had some similar, really weird problems. I fixed it by re-installing my monitor color profile.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Tziko posted:

I had some similar, really weird problems. I fixed it by re-installing my monitor color profile.
Hmm... I tried this and it didn't really work, but it did do.. something.

It seems if my system default color profile is sRBG everything looks right, but if it's the Huey profile (or anything else) it doesn't.

Maybe it's time for a lightroom reinstall?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

notlodar posted:

Hmm... I tried this and it didn't really work, but it did do.. something.

It seems if my system default color profile is sRBG everything looks right, but if it's the Huey profile (or anything else) it doesn't.

Maybe it's time for a lightroom reinstall?

I know Photosohp has a setting for Collor Settings (Edit > Color Settings) where you can change the profile it uses. Not sure about Lightroom, but things in it look right to me when exported.

Ubergoat
Oct 5, 2004
Goat, the other white meat.

Kazy posted:

I know Photosohp has a setting for Collor Settings (Edit > Color Settings) where you can change the profile it uses. Not sure about Lightroom, but things in it look right to me when exported.

Lightroom uses Prophoto RGB internally if I remember, and you can choose the color profile you want when you export. Lightroom converts the color space when you export - but if you are viewing non-sRGB color-spaced images in a non-calibrated program after export, they can look funny (basically the non-colormanaged programs assume everything is sRGB). That's sort of the way its supposed to work. And yes, if other people aren't using color managed browers or whatever, and you use non-sRGB images, the images will look a bit off, and there's no real way to fix it (aside from using sRGB and hoping they calibrated their monitors).

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I was too lazy to reinstall and just set my computer's default color space to sRBG and let the huey handle the rest...

Everything looks fine in everything now...

Alvination
Aug 12, 2005

"Let me ask you something: what do women want?"

"Who cares?"
So my master's program will be having a 10 year reunion, and since I'm the guy with the nice camera and we're over budget, I've been designated as the photographer of the two day event (unpaid...and I probably won't even get to participate in the sack race!) Anyway, in addition to being nervous about this and figuring out a gameplan since I've ever really done one photoshoot for my friends, I need to find a site that will allow me to post photos so that the alumni can just log on to a public album and buy prints if they choose.

Has anyone had experience with something like Snapfish? I was thinking this since it lets you pick out which site you want the photos developed so that'd be up to them. Any other suggestions?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pretty sure that'd be like 3 clicks in smugmug if you don't mind them grabbing a slice.
Password-protect a gallery and allow prints, done.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
getting the correct exposure is the best way to go, but would it be a better idea to have a photo overexposed or underexposed to fix later?

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
Underexposed - It's much easier to recover details in an underexposed photo than one blown-out by highlights. And logically, the closer you get to the correct exposure, the better you'll be able to recover details in the underexposed bits.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
On the flip side, if you're shooting at extremely high ISO to salvage low available light, noise will be worse in shadows than highlights.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

phootnote posted:

getting the correct exposure is the best way to go, but would it be a better idea to have a photo overexposed or underexposed to fix later?

This is always a tough battle, but really the answer depends, when you have a wide dynamic range of a given scene. I've generally better luck increasing exposure in post, rather than pulling it back down.

If the scene is really dark like an indoor bar, I will try to push my histogram values towards the right without clipping because if you underexpose an overall dark scene it will be noisy in the shadows when you bump it up in post, like Bobthecow said. But, as I recently found out with snow photos, if the scene is overall bright, underexposing ~1 stop is beneficial to preserve all the easily blown highlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I think it's better to overexpose without clipping. When you bring shadows up, you get nasty noise you have to deal with. When you overexpose you don't get any quality issues.

Also I just wanted to post to say I finally got my gear insured. I went with Metlife for renters and got the standard insurance for the stuff in my apartment with replacement value riders for my camera gear and laptop. I got about $4000 coverage for my camera and $2500 for my computer gear for commericial use. I'm paying something like $370 a year total. Well worth it IMO.