Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beijing Rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma

evil_bunnY posted:

Beijing Rock

Holy poo poo, thanks for that link. I'm going to make my friends in Beijing take me out to a show like that next time I'm there.

spritely
Oct 13, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Beijing Rock

Nice article! He obviously is part-of-the-scene to get such great poses from his subjects.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Shot my second real show ever on Saturday night. The Lexington, KY based band Tula does a tribute to the Band's Last Waltz that features musicians from the Kentucky and Nashville music scenes. Being a huge fan of The Band and wanting to get more concert experience under my belt I took quite a few photos. It really made me wish I had a faster lens. I used my Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3OS which worked out well byt there were quite a few shots that I wish I had a shallower DOF on.

At one point there was over a dozen people on stage so I just said gently caress trying to shoot too many group shots. I was not happy with my composition so I mainly tried to shoot portraits which is my strong point.

(clicking the photos will link to the set)

The drummer was a blast to shoot. The lighting was pretty drat good so I got some nice ones of him.

I'll probably go into Photoshop and make the DOF artificially shallower on this one when I have more time

I love the fact that some of the light on his face is actually the reflection off of his guitar's headstock

I'm coming to find out that I really like shooting concerts. Being a musician I think I'm pretty good at finding little things and I know what kind of photos I would like to have taken of me. This show also worked out very well because it's a venue I have played a lot, I know the songs better than some of my own which means I knew who was about to take a solo etc. I also met a pro who was very nice and we chatted for a bit about photos and she liked my work.

Considering the fact I am still very new at this feedback which would be much appreciated.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 8, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ZoCrowes posted:

Shot my second real show ever on Saturday night. The Lexington, KY based band Tula does a tribute to the Band's Last Waltz that features musicians from the Kentucky and Nashville music scenes. Being a huge fan of The Band and wanting to get more concert experience under my belt I took quite a few photos. It really made me wish I had a faster lens. I used my Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3OS which worked out well byt there were quite a few shots that I wish I had a shallower DOF on.

At one point there was over a dozen people on stage so I just said gently caress trying to shoot too many group shots. I was not happy with my composition so I mainly tried to shoot portraits which is my strong point.

I'll probably go into Photoshop and make the DOF artificially shallower on this one when I have more time
I wouldn't change a thing. I glanced over the description of the event and looked at the photos. When I saw this, it made me think of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" because I'm obsessed with The Last Waltz too. Then finding out that this was from a Band/Waltz tribute concert... yeah, don't futz with it. It evokes exactly what it is meant to evoke. It screamed it to me and I had no idea the photo's origins.

I'm jealous BTW, that show looks awesome.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

pwn posted:

I wouldn't change a thing. I glanced over the description of the event and looked at the photos. When I saw this, it made me think of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" because I'm obsessed with The Last Waltz too. Then finding out that this was from a Band/Waltz tribute concert... yeah, don't futz with it. It evokes exactly what it is meant to evoke. It screamed it to me and I had no idea the photo's origins.

I'm jealous BTW, that show looks awesome.

Thanks I really appreciate it. It was a drat good show. Maybe I will keep it the way it is then.

I was actually asked to join the Band talking to them after the show because they need a new bass player since theirs is moving to Nashville. I'm contemplating it however I'm a guitarist who can play bass and I would be filling some pretty big shoes. At the very least I hope they ask me to play the next go round with them. I would love to play guitar on Who Do You Love.

I'm kind of obsessed with The Band. I've got the brown album framed on the wall in my living room.

I'm still jealous you got to see Redbone and Kotke. My buddy saw Kotke a few years back and he said that the rambling stories thing you mentioned is very true. The dude will take longer to describe a song than it does to play it.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
So the other week I shot one of my favorite bands at the moment, The Wooden Sky, in a very small, cozy venue. The show it's self was amazing and the atmosphere was great. But this bar had HORRIBLE lighting. But I still had fun and spoke with their tour manager for about 30-40 minutes.

Full band, front mans face is over exposed but it was eihter that or everything else even more under exposed.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I took these shots while I was actually doing a video shoot, I had some down time while we were gathering people. I would love to do more local show photography but all I have is a Canon SX110 which really hates low light situations.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ZoCrowes posted:

That's really neat. Not the kind of focus contrast I would think about, but it works realy well.

Too bad about the really extensive DoF, this really has a Sesame Street quality to the character.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Too bad about the really extensive DoF, this really has a Sesame Street quality to the character.

I wish my camera wasn't new and that I had enough time to take a few more but I was under time constraints as it was for the video shoot, all the members were dressed up silly with about 20 more people in a tiny rented practice space. :)

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I liked her pooper. It was pretty nifty.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
wtf, where are the photos of Will.I.Am flying around like a clown?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Piss stains don't show on robot suits.

Did you also like her penis?

(Good shots!)

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

The lift off took off in that last picture- he started flying, but I thought her turned around looked better. I got a few of him flying, Fergie stepped right to me and I was getting her full in wide angle and then the promoter tapped me for time. I was hoping she would pee on me. Not a perv.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

There was other Non-Fergie bands there, too:

LMFAO

Ludacris

So, since last Tuesday, I have covered Lights, Owl City, Dane Cook, Al Del Bene, Robert Kelly, a garden tour, John Mayer, an alpaca show, LMFAO, Ludacris and Black Eyed Peas. I am beat.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Eeek posted:

There was other Non-Fergie bands there, too:

I'd definitely brighten some of these up a bit... were you really shooting at ISO 400? Why not bump it up to 800 to get a better exposure? some of these are a bit on the dark side.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 10, 2010

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

The dynamic range was crazy- 400 was fine when he was on the stage- if fact, 100 would have worked. He jumped from stage, hugged the crowd and jumped back up- all told he was there for less than 10 seconds. It's not that I was shooting at 400, I didn't have a chance to change it.

eh, let me step back from that- 400 was fine on stage, but 640 would for sure muddle it with the lights they had.

Eeek fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 10, 2010

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Dreggory and I are shooting Steve Aoki again tonight. He's rocking his 5D and I'm going with the 7D.

poo poo is gonna get hosed up for sure.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Photex posted:

I took these shots while I was actually doing a video shoot, I had some down time while we were gathering people. I would love to do more local show photography but all I have is a Canon SX110 which really hates low light situations.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

You might be able to disguise the graininess of the photos by converting them to black and white. You can also artificially decrease the depth of field in the second shot in photoshop. It's fairly easy and there are tutorials all over the internet.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 10, 2010

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

took your word for it and made that picture black and white, the reason a lot of my shots were grainy was when I bought the camera the first thing I did was put CHDK on there and it was fighting over what ISO it should use all the time I am sure it was just a rookie mistake.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Steve Aoki had some hardcore bullshit attached to it, but it came out all right.

We're going through pictures now, should be some awesome stuff.

Edit: I do spray and pray. Dreggory takes like 6 exposures per hour.

http://photos.dunxphoto.com/Music/Aoki2/

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 11, 2010

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
I was standing about 6 inches from a stack of speakers when I shot this. I am now very much deaf. Totally worth it

link to the set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_bradshaw/sets/72157623412009114/

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I think Dorkroom's favorite subjects are Steve Aoki and torgeaux's son.

THIS IS RUBBISH
May 30, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I was extremely lucky, being the venue photog, to shoot Polysics. Their tour manager is a bit uptight and blunt. Enacting a "three songs, no flash" in a 500 person venue is sorta crazy but I lived. It was just like shooting at the large venue, the second I put my camera away, they all moved from their mics. But still, very awesome show. This shot of Hiro is from when they first took the stage, I had to lean back while my friend made sure I didn't fall over.

Jemina Pearl threw a fit at her band the whole set and was generally uncomfortable to shoot. I don't think she is going to have a career after this tour, which is mostly over from my understanding. Talented girl, terrible attitude. I'm aware this isn't a great shot but for only a few moments did she not have her hair in her face like Cousin It.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

THIS IS RUBBISH posted:

It was just like shooting at the large venue, the second I put my camera away, they all moved from their mics.

And the lights brightened up and they all started hitting awesome poses?

Yeah, we've all been there.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So, so true :mad:

THIS IS RUBBISH posted:

Jemina Pearl threw a fit at her band the whole set
Hahaha, classy

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 12, 2010

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

HPL posted:

The red/neon lights turned off, they all sat on the stage and did an acoustic jam because you vacated that spot after your three songs?

THIS IS RUBBISH
May 30, 2007

by Fistgrrl

HPL posted:

Not at a 500 person venue. I forgot to add that before they came on their tour manager got on the mic and told everyone that if he catches them taking photos he's personally throwing them out and they can "have fun in the snow". Spent most of the show standing on a monitor staring at the crowd.

Last night we had a college band, which means they draw 50 people from 3 hours away who came just to watch (insert nickname) and (drinking nickname) play for 40 minutes then go back to middle-of-nowhere Illinois. So for a whole set it looks like a really decent draw and when the touring band comes on there's no one. They had a friend come out and shoot who did this a lot:

He's got a smaller Nikon in his hand and a D2/D3 on his hip which I never saw him use. Brosef wasn't even using rear or slow sync so I hope they like their vacation shots.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

THIS IS RUBBISH posted:

He's got a smaller Nikon in his hand and a D2/D3 on his hip which I never saw him use. Brosef wasn't even using rear or slow sync so I hope they like their vacation shots.

If you know who he is, check his portfolio. He probably does a lot of skateboard/snowboard/(sport involving wheels, snow or dirt) photos. The guys that do that seem to shoot like that a lot.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

dreggory posted:

I was standing about 6 inches from a stack of speakers when I shot this. I am now very much deaf. Totally worth it

link to the set:

Holy poo poo that's good.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Theres not much that I have found for music in Hampton Roads. The local paper uses stock photos from the band and hey just shut down the local culture magazine that had food, music, events in it. Any photographer I've seen at the NorVa was there from a larger nationwide magazine. I was also thinking of going to the show, Dropkick is the day after, deciding which one to go to.
I've got two people with the smallest of connections in the area trying to snag me a pass, but my chances are vanishingly small. There's probably 50 guys just like me vying for the opportunity so my chances are pretty much nil.

I know bad lighting is the name of the game, but this show really tried my patience, it was like a freakin' dungeon.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

man thats gross posted:

Holy poo poo that's good.

Thanks! I showed up knowing there was going to be a ton of photographers there so I planned out what I wanted to try and capture in advance. I like to look for the shot that no one else gets, and this was definitely it.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

So he was on the other side of the stage, I couldn't reach, put on the 2x and when I stood up, he was in front of me. Oh well.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

dreggory posted:

link to the set:

That one is excellent. These two were also loving fabulous.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Well i've been rather dead to this thread lately due to being hilariously busy. The bands Four Year Strong (who I shot in December) and A Loss For Words (an amazing local band that is still unsigned for some very odd reason) did an acoustic set at my school (Fitchburg State). Since I loved both the bands I went along and decided to bring along my camera as well. I got some great shots of the lead singer of AL4W Matty.

Lens: 85mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 ISO 1600 Handheld

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

pr0digal posted:

Well i've been rather dead to this thread lately due to being hilariously busy. The bands Four Year Strong (who I shot in December) and A Loss For Words (an amazing local band that is still unsigned for some very odd reason) did an acoustic set at my school (Fitchburg State). Since I loved both the bands I went along and decided to bring along my camera as well. I got some great shots of the lead singer of AL4W Matty.

Lens: 85mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 ISO 1600 Handheld

what body are you using?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Aeka 2.0 posted:

what body are you using?

He was using a Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

http://regex.info/exif.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm3.static.flickr.com%2F2753%2F4364725162_c038873012_b.jpg

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

God drat that looks good at 1600.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

God drat that looks good at 1600.

Just about anything will look good in good light and black and white conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Aeka 2.0 posted:

what body are you using?

dunkman is correct: Digital Rebel XTi. I have an in camera setting that is high contrast black and white so it came out pretty well for ISO 1600. There are a few shots that came out decent from the night.