Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Veeb0rg posted:

beat the roof line out till its close enough to put a new windshield in and use a lot of sealer. then wheel the crap out of it. I know quite a few guys that have rolled and have done it.

I think the concern is that if he rolls it again the roof will not hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

^^ A valid concern, but for the most part the vehicle is salvagable.

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

I think its beyond repair...

Beyond Repair? Thats just a few scratches.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
My bank account had a baby!

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Unfortunately, it died during childbirth. :smith:

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Nice! But then again, I am kinda partial to the JK 2 doors.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Congrats. The 2-door JK has really grown on me too, but the front bumper is still godawul.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
That is awesome. How tough is it to stow a JK hardtop? Does it come off into a bunch of panels that you could throw in a closet?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I literally got it like 8 hours ago, so I haven't taken the hardtop off yet due to it being pretty cold here in Texas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is something I snipped out of Automobile a few years ago

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

mod sassinator posted:

That is awesome. How tough is it to stow a JK hardtop? Does it come off into a bunch of panels that you could throw in a closet?
It's not the easiest thing to store, everything from the front rollbar (soundbar) back is 1 piece, the "freedom top" panels only cover the driver and passenger.

It's pretty darn easy to take off/put on though, everything lines up nicely and there are only 8 bolts that hold the thing on. I have no idea how much the top weighs but it's light enough that I can get under it and lift it by myself.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FAROESE WAFFLEHOUND posted:

My bank account had a baby!

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Unfortunately, it died during childbirth. :smith:

Beautiful. I love the 2 doors. If I were to do it all over again I would have held out for a forest green Rubicon.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Took my CJ out to play in the snow today, there's a nice 5 foot tall snow pile the plow put at the end of my driveway while clearing the cul-de-sac. Now I've got my front hubs locked in and the transfer case in 4-low. As I try to climb the rear tires lose traction and the rear end starts swinging around. Shouldn't the front tires also be spinning or does all the power just go to whichever tire has no grip?

I should add I have 32x12 Super Mudders (too wide), and essentially no weight over the rear wheels (no top and a completely stripped interior except driver's seat)

giundy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 10, 2010

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Does anyone else really like the JKs with half doors?

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

Boomerjinks posted:

not enough to spend $6k on a set of four, but yes.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Boomerjinks posted:

Yes, but as Gavitron said it's not worth the money.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Boomerjinks posted:

I dunno, any day I could run half-doors, I'd rather just run no doors.

Also, I think I've come up with an alternative to installing $200 heated seats in my JK.

A $30 electric blanket + a $20 power inverter = Warm topless, doorless cruising on cool summer nights.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
How long am I going to have to wait to find a 97+ Cherokee 4x4 for under two grand? High miles and "needs work" don't bother me as long as the truck has the majority of its paint and bodywork in presentable condition.

Or to put it another way, what is the best Jeep I am going to be able to find in okay shape for around $1500? I really want a 97+ 6-cyl 5-speed 4x4 Cherokee 2-door, but I know that will never happen, especially at this budget. I live in Nebraska so I would like something that is EXCELLENT in deep snow.

What are the best options for a 4x4 at this price? I am willing to wait until next fall in search of a deal. If its not a Jeep then let me know? I am not a big fan of the Grand Cherokees. They fit better but in my experience the body electrical seem to be horrible. Are they good trucks other than that?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Braincloud posted:

I dunno, any day I could run half-doors, I'd rather just run no doors.

Also, I think I've come up with an alternative to installing $200 heated seats in my JK.

A $30 electric blanket + a $20 power inverter = Warm topless, doorless cruising on cool summer nights.

Depends on the amperage draw of the blanket, would be interesting to figure out if that would work.

/edit

:doh:electric blankets draw less power than I thought [.5-1.5 amps], and there's the "battery blanket" heaters which I totally forgot about for cold starts, that could be something interesting for remote cold starts with no outlet available.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 11, 2010

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

BigKOfJustice posted:

Depends on the amperage draw of the blanket, would be interesting to figure out if that would work.

/edit

:doh:electric blankets draw less power than I thought [.5-1.5 amps], and there's the "battery blanket" heaters which I totally forgot about for cold starts, that could be something interesting for remote cold starts with no outlet available.

1.5A @ 12V or 120V, cause that 10 doesn't just disappear, it changes sides.
V=IR, (120=1.5R) == (12=15R)

Regardless, that's a pretty good idea. I was running no doors/top in late September, and once the sun went down, it got cold fast. Driving my dad crosstown from the hospital with (his) broken leg at 11pm, doing 25km/hr, heat on full, no jacket cause he'd soaked it in the mud bog when he crashed. Electric seat warmers would have been pretty sweet right about then.

and I'm with braincloud on the doors. I'll probably fab up some cheap tubes to pacify Dudley DoRight this summer, and leave them in the trunk.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Gavitron posted:

and I'm with braincloud on the doors. I'll probably fab up some cheap tubes to pacify Dudley DoRight this summer, and leave them in the trunk.

Not allowed to run doorless in your parts? I've driven by many local (Seattle Police) and State Patrol with the doors off and a foot hanging out and not had any of them so much as bat an eye at me. Just as long as my seatbelt is on.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
They're usually more concerned about your mirror since it's connected to the door (a lot of new Jeep owners don't realize you need at least a rear-view and a driver's mirror). I see tons of older Toyotas, Blazers and Broncos that run doorless even though they're technically not allowed to (no lower body lip along the door jam like a Jeep) but only anal-retentive supercops will give a poo poo about them. State codes are often ambiguous at best in trying to find out what you can and can't do with your vehicle but Jeeps get around a lot of that because they are designed at-factory with removeable doors, tops and collapsable windshields. poo poo, you can drive anything without a seat belt so long as it was made before 1964.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Looks like I might get to beta test a bed cover to go with my half hard top. They are redesigning the mounting system and once they have that redone they'll have me go and get one mounted up. It will be lockable, sealed with hinged struts to hold it open.

I'm a bit excited. Since it will give me dry storage, instead of/in addition to containers in the back.

Here's the first trial/basically what it will look like.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Looks like I might get to beta test a bed cover to go with my half hard top. They are redesigning the mounting system and once they have that redone they'll have me go and get one mounted up. It will be lockable, sealed with hinged struts to hold it open.

I'm a bit excited. Since it will give me dry storage, instead of/in addition to containers in the back.

I wouldn't mind seeing a product like that for H1 soft tops actually. A friend of a friend came up with the fiberglass mold for such a product that was going to be distributed by Snug Top, only to have the mold tooling place go out of business and having the $30,000+ molds and tooling disappear in the liquidation. So long removable one piece top :(

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Man that's awesome, too bad I don't have an Unlimited.

Are you getting to demo it just because you live nearby?

I also like the fact that their demo truck has skinny tires that mount flush. I hate wide stance on trucks, but I do understand it's necessary sometimes. Just that too many guys do it just because someone decided it looks awesome? I don't know. Good luck squeezing between trees on any NW trail.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

Man that's awesome, too bad I don't have an Unlimited.

Are you getting to demo it just because you live nearby?

I also like the fact that their demo truck has skinny tires that mount flush. I hate wide stance on trucks, but I do understand it's necessary sometimes. Just that too many guys do it just because someone decided it looks awesome? I don't know. Good luck squeezing between trees on any NW trail.

He had a few pics on his site and I asked about the cover and he mentiond he was looking for beta testers. I told him I was more than up for a test. Luckily I have an unlimited AND the Xtended halftop (2.5" longer) and he needed to test the cover on one.

He's a few hours away and once he gets the mounting redone he'll let me know and I'll make a trip to get one fitted up AND have loads pf pictures taken.

I'm excited because it is lockable and sealed. So I can now throw sleeping bags and stuff in the back instead of having to stuff things into multiple containers.

After the cover I'm thinking of getting some rokmen stryker corners.
http://www.rokmen.com/products/corner_armor/strykers/strykers.html

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

Philip J Fry posted:

They're usually more concerned about your mirror since it's connected to the door (a lot of new Jeep owners don't realize you need at least a rear-view and a driver's mirror). I see tons of older Toyotas, Blazers and Broncos that run doorless even though they're technically not allowed to (no lower body lip along the door jam like a Jeep) but only anal-retentive supercops will give a poo poo about them. State codes are often ambiguous at best in trying to find out what you can and can't do with your vehicle but Jeeps get around a lot of that because they are designed at-factory with removeable doors, tops and collapsable windshields. poo poo, you can drive anything without a seat belt so long as it was made before 1964.
This is a really well organized post from JF with each state: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/ Besides only a single mirror only rule in Ohio, there are no longer emission standards, which makes this state awesome to own an old beater in (but no where to use it :()

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I know you posted your Jeep before but this one would look perfect with with stamped tailgate, either with the old Jeep or Willy's logo.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/p...r+Hi-Lift+Jacks

Look everyone you can bling up your Hi-lift so they can find all the brain matter and teeth stuck to it when it kills you. AND it will look really nice mounted on your casket.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/p...r+Hi-Lift+Jacks

Look everyone you can bling up your Hi-lift so they can find all the brain matter and teeth stuck to it when it kills you. AND it will look really nice mounted on your casket.
The treaded "foot" doesn't seem such a bad idea, but the rest is just :ughh:

You could probably just chrome plate the thing for less money than buying those bits anyway.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Nv_4ZEtm0

GODDAMN

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

GODDAMN

That is cool as hell... but does he have individual locks on the rear wheels to turn it like that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

GODDAMN
Hahaha, excellent use of fiddle brakes!

With the addition of a perspex panel and a castor of some kind, he could probably drive like that for quite a while.

VVVV: I was wondering that too, though I guess if the pickup's near the back of the sump, it'd still be submerged.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 12, 2010

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Does the engine even provide any lubrication when it's on end like that? drat... Dry sump I'd hope. Then again it's a diesel...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What kind of tires are those ? They look kinda like those narrow Interco tires, LTB's or soemthing.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I was almost expecting it to just drive straight up the wall.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jonathan posted:

What kind of tires are those ? They look kinda like those narrow Interco tires, LTB's or soemthing.
Simex, or a copy thereof. They're the off-road tyre of choice for extreme use on this side of the Atlantic.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

PBCrunch posted:

How long am I going to have to wait to find a 97+ Cherokee 4x4 for under two grand? High miles and "needs work" don't bother me as long as the truck has the majority of its paint and bodywork in presentable condition.

Or to put it another way, what is the best Jeep I am going to be able to find in okay shape for around $1500? I really want a 97+ 6-cyl 5-speed 4x4 Cherokee 2-door, but I know that will never happen, especially at this budget. I live in Nebraska so I would like something that is EXCELLENT in deep snow.

What are the best options for a 4x4 at this price? I am willing to wait until next fall in search of a deal. If its not a Jeep then let me know? I am not a big fan of the Grand Cherokees. They fit better but in my experience the body electrical seem to be horrible. Are they good trucks other than that?
Soon: http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/1599571828.html

The Cherokee also is not exempt from electrical difficulities. I have intermittent shorts in my XJ.

Before going with the XJ, I looked at alot of Ford Rangers, which seemed to fit the bill for what I wanted; in hindsight, I'm not convinced the Ranger motor would be holding up like the XJ's.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
^^^^^hmmm?

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

I think its beyond repair...

I dont really have the know how or the money to want to put the cage in it and neither do any of my friends, anyone got any good ideas of what to do with it?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I am signed up with a market research company and they are looking for Jeep Grand Cherokee owners and are willing to pay $150 for two 30 minute surveys.

Please contact Amy to qualify 407 660 1808 ext 119 or 888 464 0204 ext 119
All calls will be returned on Monday, study begins Tuesday Feb 16.

They are looking for 2000-2007 Cherokee owners, and I've had a lot of luck with this company in the past. I was once paid $300 to talk to them about cats.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Is it wrong to be looking at a '89 XJ? My waterpump on my F250 in wonderful IH fashion thought it would be cute to start "leaking" and by leaking I mean "50 old men pissing on a flat rock moves less water"

I've spotted a 1989 Cherokee 4 door with the 4.0 and a 5 speed for a semi OK price, and wondering what are the problem areas to look for? I remember somebody saying the 5 speeds are lops of poo poo, but really, I just need a runabout until the F250 gets into the shop for a little bit of work. (Waterpump is like just the last of the long line of issues)

WildFoxMedia posted:

Maybe instead of be so quick to sell of the Grand Cherokee I should focus on losing weight, cause you know, that whole not being fat thing would be awesome in addition to having more room.

Forced diet. I should buy a Honda 600 and force myself to lose the weight to fit into it. :q:

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

InterceptorV8 posted:

Is it wrong to be looking at a '89 XJ? My waterpump on my F250 in wonderful IH fashion thought it would be cute to start "leaking" and by leaking I mean "50 old men pissing on a flat rock moves less water"

I've spotted a 1989 Cherokee 4 door with the 4.0 and a 5 speed for a semi OK price, and wondering what are the problem areas to look for? I remember somebody saying the 5 speeds are lops of poo poo, but really, I just need a runabout until the F250 gets into the shop for a little bit of work. (Waterpump is like just the last of the long line of issues)

Rust rust rust. I think there was a post a couple pages back from a guy with a similar year and his fuel tank was leaking.

My cousin has a '91 in great shape but on average they are probably pretty worn. Depends where you are though and how it's been kept. I see quite a few in New England with holes in the body from corrosion. Probably don't want to know what it looks like underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

Pillbug

Braincloud posted:

Not allowed to run doorless in your parts? I've driven by many local (Seattle Police) and State Patrol with the doors off and a foot hanging out and not had any of them so much as bat an eye at me. Just as long as my seatbelt is on.

I live in Canuckistan, (Vancouver, no less,) in BC, the law states that the only vehicles not requiring doors are the ones that came that way from the factory. So unless they were selling 2k8 JKs in Canada with no doors, I need something.

Not that it's stopped me from taking them off all summer, but my buddy knows a couple of local mounties, and they asked him to let me know that they'll tell me in person the next time I drive past w/o.

Also, the stock mirror location is so much better than the windshield brackets everyone uses - I'm this close to just buying a handful of hinges from the wrecker, and making a single bar from top hinge to door latch. Doors & mirrors in one piece of extruded aluminum.