Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
Country/Provider: USA/Sprint

Current contract status: A family plan that I believe has long since been removed. It had unlimited data and like 250 texts for a month from what I remember. We were going to update our plan anyway. I kind of want to stay with Sprint so we don't have to deal with all the other carrier poopoo.

Budget (phone/plan): $200 and $70 or under a month.

Features I know I want: Internet browser. A decent one. Maybe have flash if it's possible. Most likely want a Android phone for the app store. A phone that can make skype calls from people skype to skype(though not sure how Games so I can waste time without having to bring a laptop. I really don't care if it's slow when loading something, but if it gets choppy while in the middle of it, like a game it sounds like it could be a problem. I really don't care if it has a physical keyboard or not if I would be considering most of the content on Android would be touch screen anyway, and I don't require a keyboard for texting or typing in a internet browser.

I've been putting my money on the HTC Hero, because of the SenseUI, multi-touch and the fact it has adobe flash in it. At the same time I've heard the flash content is sluggish from the Hero, and that the Moment has a faster processor and really isn't pulled down by the SenseUI processes that the Hero has. I'm still on the fence because of the information in front of me is a few months old and that information was when the phones were first released without any real firmware updates. If it slows down loading crap I could care less if it gets choppy then, but if it's in the middle of a video and it drops a from 25 frames to 5 I would be turned away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderg
Feb 13, 2008
Can anyone tell what possible discounts I can get through AT&T and Verizon? Right now my family is with Sprint and we were looking at switching carriers. Mainly because Sprint now charges $14.99 a month per extra line where as the competition charges $9.99 (not only that but they have a pretty weak selection of phones in my opinion). Now, to get a better idea for what plan we could switch to I was wondering if anyone could tell me what possible discounts I can get through Verizon or AT&T? I've heard AT&T has something called the "FAN" program, what does that entail?. Does Verizon have any sort of discount?

To give you an idea with what to work with we have one member of the family (the patriarch of the family) is in the Military and he is employed at Wachovia.

To be more in line with the OP, right now our family is paying $130ish, this includes our discount with Wachovia, not the military discount. Now, I heard with AT&Ts FAN program you have multiple discounts stack on each other? Is that true?

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Country/Provider: UK/Orange

Current contract status: Half way through a two year contract

Budget (phone/plan): £200ish sim free.

Features I know I want: Android. I hate my current phone (HTC Touch HD) and it has to go. Going to be pricey but I really don't care at this stage :)

What's my best option? I am also half considering trying to wait it out and see what the next iPhone is like...

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Xanderg posted:

Can anyone tell what possible discounts I can get through AT&T and Verizon? Right now my family is with Sprint and we were looking at switching carriers. Mainly because Sprint now charges $14.99 a month per extra line where as the competition charges $9.99 (not only that but they have a pretty weak selection of phones in my opinion). Now, to get a better idea for what plan we could switch to I was wondering if anyone could tell me what possible discounts I can get through Verizon or AT&T? I've heard AT&T has something called the "FAN" program, what does that entail?. Does Verizon have any sort of discount?

To give you an idea with what to work with we have one member of the family (the patriarch of the family) is in the Military and he is employed at Wachovia.

To be more in line with the OP, right now our family is paying $130ish, this includes our discount with Wachovia, not the military discount. Now, I heard with AT&Ts FAN program you have multiple discounts stack on each other? Is that true?

You do realize that the 14.99 a month on eprp includes unlimited data/text/mobile calls to any network?

14.99 on just a messaging/text plan still gets you unlimited messaging (probably ~$20/line on other carriers alone).

I came from AT&T, and as far as I know, you can not stack discounts. what percentage is the Wachovia discount?

Xanderg
Feb 13, 2008

Tedronai66 posted:

You do realize that the 14.99 a month on eprp includes unlimited data/text/mobile calls to any network?

14.99 on just a messaging/text plan still gets you unlimited messaging (probably ~$20/line on other carriers alone).

I came from AT&T, and as far as I know, you can not stack discounts. what percentage is the Wachovia discount?

From the way the sales associate talked it sounded like we had no choice in the matter. We were going to have to upgrade our family plan to where all extra lines were 14.99 a month. I believe our Wachovia discount is around 10% or so? Don't quote me on that though. We're going to spend more time this weekend looking over different plans and such. Unfortunately we've been hindered on the count of a friend passing away.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

yatagan posted:

I take it there's no particular best "entry level" type phone? How should I approach getting one then, just go into a cell phone store?

If the most important thing is just sending/receiving texts you probably don't need a smartphone-I don't know just judging by the tone of your posts it doesn't seem like something you'd be willing to pay a premium for. Something like a messaging phone like the LG Rumor (Sprint) or LG EnV (Verizon) might work for you.

EDIT: But yeah your best bet would probably to go into a store for at least two of the major carriers (since you probably want to shop around) and just see what you like and what each one offers.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 9, 2010

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Palm Pre?
I really like the form factor of this phone. It's so tiny AND a slider...

Is is at good idea at all to buy a Palm Pre now (Germany)?
I know Palm will sooner or later die, but I don't need endless updates and apps if I really think about it. I have some requirements which I listed below. Beyond that I don't care.

I was initially waiting for some kind of Android phone to buy, but the Nexus is not available in Germany, the Droid seems overly large and expensive for beeing a last-gen phone... Everything else about Android is confusing. Samsung has some good deals, but seems to have abandonded the support... The only 2.x phone in Europe is the Milestone and I don't want the Milestone...

I need an application that uses GPS to track where/how I run and then upload it to web/computer where I have different charts and pictures and poo poo. Needs to be FREE.
Don't care about the "social" functions but I need maps and charts for pace/distance etc. ESSENTIAL
Some computervoice yelling at me during training would be nice as well.
I have been using SportyPal on Winmobile, before I decided to wash my Diamond.
This functions needs to be there and it needs to be good. Otherwise dealbreaker.
Also google maps.
Calendar sync would be a plus. I use the google services pretty much for everything...
It needs to be a good phone (as in do phone poo poo) and I should be able to use my delicious European HSPA flatrate to full effect.

If the Pre has this and is otherwise decent, I might just get it.
If it doesn't get updated anymore, it doesn't matter, I guess.
The Pre is 400€ via O2

Edit: Reading my requirements, it seems that some cheaper Nokia phones seem to also fit the bill. Any experience with those? I normally detest Nokia, but alas.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 9, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boner Slam posted:

Palm Pre?
I really like the form factor of this phone. It's so tiny AND a slider...

Is is at good idea at all to buy a Palm Pre now (Germany)?
I know Palm will sooner or later die, but I don't need endless updates and apps if I really think about it. I have some requirements which I listed below. Beyond that I don't care.

I was initially waiting for some kind of Android phone to buy, but the Nexus is not available in Germany, the Droid seems overly large and expensive for beeing a last-gen phone... Everything else about Android is confusing. Samsung has some good deals, but seems to have abandonded the support... The only 2.x phone in Europe is the Milestone and I don't want the Milestone...

I need an application that uses GPS to track where/how I run and then upload it to web/computer where I have different charts and pictures and poo poo. Needs to be FREE.
Don't care about the "social" functions but I need maps and charts for pace/distance etc. ESSENTIAL
Some computervoice yelling at me during training would be nice as well.
I have been using SportyPal on Winmobile, before I decided to wash my Diamond.
This functions needs to be there and it needs to be good. Otherwise dealbreaker.
Also google maps.
Calendar sync would be a plus. I use the google services pretty much for everything...
It needs to be a good phone (as in do phone poo poo) and I should be able to use my delicious European HSPA flatrate to full effect.

If the Pre has this and is otherwise decent, I might just get it.
If it doesn't get updated anymore, it doesn't matter, I guess.
The Pre is 400€ via O2

Edit: Reading my requirements, it seems that some cheaper Nokia phones seem to also fit the bill. Any experience with those? I normally detest Nokia, but alas.

I would check and see if they have any announcements on when the Palm Pre Plus hits Germany...

Oak Read Erryday
Mar 9, 2009

I'm looking for a family plan to share with my brother. I'm not in a crazy rush because I don't want to sign a contract without getting a smartphone and unlimited data. But I don't have a huge budget, so I'm taking it slow. Here are some details:

* Country/Provider: USA/Doesn't matter

* Current contract status: Not in a contract

* Budget (phone/plan): Both phones: $150 max/Family Plan $120 or less hopefully

* Features I know I want:

- at least 1000 mins (or top 10/fave 5 with less minutes)
- unlimited data
- gps would be great
- Android preferable
- brother wants texting
- brother doesn't necessarily want a smart phone

Anyone have an idea what the cheapest, best phone and plan would be?

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: In the middle of a contract with adequate minutes/unlimited text, no data plan.

Budget (phone/plan): $200 ish for the phone. It's negotiable.

Features I know I want: The phone is a valentine's day gift for my girlfriend. She currently has an LG Voyager which is beat to hell. She likes the qwerty keyboard and the camera, hates the fact that it's a piece of poo poo and almost completely broken in half.

Here is what I seek:

1) Durability, because she's a loving klutz and whatever phone I end up getting is going to be FLUNG, full loving force directly into any cell-phone hostile environment she may encounter. Pavement, concrete, knives, bricks, karate chops, explosions, civil uprisings, whirling vortexes, you name it, she's dropped it on that. She can't take care of poo poo, so if you can recommend me a case made out of indestructible wakandan vibranium to go with it, that'd be sweet.

2) A decent camera. 3.0 megapixels or better would be sweet, but I can flex on that. Video would also be cool.

3) Reliability / Battery Life. Her Voyager is the most temperamental piece of poo poo I've ever seen. It randomly turns itself off and on with no warning, it needs to be hooked directly into the power grid overnight to receive a charge that will last ten minutes, it just doesn't work well in any capacity.

4) Ease of use, especially as regards texting. She texts a LOT.

5) Cute/cool factor. It's for a girl, ok? A nerdy rear end girl, but still a girl.

Andy T
Jun 11, 2008
I have T Mobile and am out of contract. I am looking for a phone, preferably unlocked or may consider signing up for another contract with the following must have features:
- Textting Friendly keyboard (ala BB)
- Voice dialing
- Bluetooth
- Mini USB charging connection
Nice features:
Micro SD card compatible. Has decent screen and music player.

I used BB Pearl and considering getting another one. I am also using Samsung T 349. However its lack of Voice dialing and Mini USB makes me consider other options.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

Tolstoi
Apr 3, 2001
  • Country/Provider:USA

• Current contract status:T-Mobile, out of contract, on a grandfathered family plan, from 2007. It was 500 minutes a month, unlimited nights and weekends, but they bumped it up to the FT National 1200 when Suncom was bought out.

• Budget (phone/plan):$300 for phones/$80 month.

• Features I know I want: I would love to get one of the newer Nexus/G1/Android phones, but anything is an upgrade from my v3 Razr that I never really wanted. I would love mobile web, an I need two lines, one for me an one for my wife. I'd need text & picture messaging, and I'm open to having a third line as well, depending on how much it'll run.
    Wi-Fi would be a big plus.

I'm not sure how data works with a family plan. Is it shared between phones or am I paying per phone? My wife already has a Samsung Blast that she seems to like, so I may only need to upgrade one phone as it is.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
# Country/Provider: USA/VERIZON

# Current contract status: ELIGIBLE FOR UPGRADE

# Budget (phone/plan): Whatever.

Basically, I'm looking to upgrade from the SCH-i760. I have no problems keeping it, but I'm up for an upgrade so why not look. Right now I'm thinking HTC Touch Pro2. Anyone else have suggestions for what else might be good to look at? I'm more about business style phones instead of media phones.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Country/Provider: Verizon Wireless

Current Contract Status: Expires in April, eligible for upgrade then.

Budget: cheap as possible.

I don't talk much (50-150 minutes) but I text on occasion and would like to surf the web a lot. I really want a Nexus One. Basically, what I want is a mini computer that happens to make calls when I need it but primarily is used for web, apps and text. I don't like that the minimum plan from Verizon is 450 mins as I never come close to that.

I don't have to stick to verizon either. I hear T-mobile has good reception in my area (NYC).

Thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Country/Provider: Verizon Wireless

Current Contract Status: Expires in April, eligible for upgrade then.

Budget: cheap as possible.

I don't talk much (50-150 minutes) but I text on occasion and would like to surf the web a lot. I really want a Nexus One. Basically, what I want is a mini computer that happens to make calls when I need it but primarily is used for web, apps and text. I don't like that the minimum plan from Verizon is 450 mins as I never come close to that.

I don't have to stick to verizon either. I hear T-mobile has good reception in my area (NYC).

Thanks.

Even More Plus can get you 500 mins, internet, text messaging and no contract on TMobile. $59.99, gotta buy the N1 outright for $525ish (but will save you money long term).

Nair McBoodles
Aug 24, 2003

This ain't nothing but a summer jam. We're gonna party as much as we can.
* Country/Provider: Sprint, USA

* Current contract status: SERO 500

* Budget: Unlimited, but I'd like it to work within the SERO plan

* Features I know I want, in order of importance:
I want some sort of custom volume/time/alarm settings which automatically shift my phone to and from silent so I stop interrupting classes because I forgot to turn down my volume and I stop missing appointments because I forget to turn it back up. I have no idea if this exists at all, for any phones as an application/custom ROM/built-in feature.

I want to use the google maps or access it without the painful sloth of my Sanyo 7050's browser. I need a web browser that can save bookmarks so I can jump to my bus trackers without fuss.

I'd also like to use my unlimited data plan to its max while staying within the SERO plan (no Android). I'd also like internet access through my campus wifi, but I could live without this.

It would also be great if the phone was rugged enough to survive a drop or two. I don't care if the phone looks like crap because of it.

I'd like to use Windows Mobile for customization (especially if my alarm/volume desires are contained in a ROM), but I can't figure out if the current Sprint upgrade phones (HTC Snap, Samsung intrepid) work with it since the Snap isn't listed in the HTC WinMo thread and the intrepid isn't HTC.

I realize that I have a lot of contradictory desires, but I'll take any recommendations I can get.

Nair McBoodles fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 13, 2010

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Duckman2008 posted:

Even More Plus can get you 500 mins, internet, text messaging and no contract on TMobile. $59.99, gotta buy the N1 outright for $525ish (but will save you money long term).

This is what I'm paying Verizon right now (plus tax/fees, etc). My only benefit to doing this is having no contract and 50 more minutes that I'll never use anyway. I was hoping for a cheaper rate with a small number of minutes (~200). And yeah, I planned on buying the N1 outright.

Thanks though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

This is what I'm paying Verizon right now (plus tax/fees, etc). My only benefit to doing this is having no contract and 50 more minutes that I'll never use anyway. I was hoping for a cheaper rate with a small number of minutes (~200). And yeah, I planned on buying the N1 outright.

Thanks though.

right, but with a smartphone on verizon tack on $30 a month extra. Plus TMobile there is no contract to be signed if you buy the phone outright.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nair McBoodles posted:

* Country/Provider: Sprint, USA

* Current contract status: SERO 500

* Budget: Unlimited, but I'd like it to work within the SERO plan

* Features I know I want, in order of importance:
I want some sort of custom volume/time/alarm settings which automatically shift my phone to and from silent so I stop interrupting classes because I forgot to turn down my volume and I stop missing appointments because I forget to turn it back up. I have no idea if this exists at all, for any phones as an application/custom ROM/built-in feature.

I want to use the google maps or access it without the painful sloth of my Sanyo 7050's browser. I need a web browser that can save bookmarks so I can jump to my bus trackers without fuss.

I'd also like to use my unlimited data plan to its max while staying within the SERO plan (no Android). I'd also like internet access through my campus wifi, but I could live without this.

It would also be great if the phone was rugged enough to survive a drop or two. I don't care if the phone looks like crap because of it.

I'd like to use Windows Mobile for customization (especially if my alarm/volume desires are contained in a ROM), but I can't figure out if the current Sprint upgrade phones (HTC Snap, Samsung intrepid) work with it since the Snap isn't listed in the HTC WinMo thread and the intrepid isn't HTC.

I realize that I have a lot of contradictory desires, but I'll take any recommendations I can get.

Just get the TP2. It's the best device you can use on SERO.

Kashew posted:

# Current contract status: ELIGIBLE FOR UPGRADE

# Budget (phone/plan): Whatever.

Basically, I'm looking to upgrade from the SCH-i760. I have no problems keeping it, but I'm up for an upgrade so why not look. Right now I'm thinking HTC Touch Pro2. Anyone else have suggestions for what else might be good to look at? I'm more about business style phones instead of media phones.

If you're on Verizon, get a Droid. There's really no excuse. You can get the Nexus One in a few months but it probably will be limited to one plan with around 500 minutes, and unlimited texts and data. The Droid does require a data plan, but it's the same cost as the data plan for the TP2.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

# Current contract status: ELIGIBLE FOR UPGRADE, on family plan, my line currently costs about $15/mo (9.99 access and $5/mo unlimited texting)while total bill for the 4 lines is like ~$60. currently using an enV Touch

# Budget (phone/plan): budget for a Phone is anything $250 or less after discounts. Plan wise, if I can get off my current plan for a cheaper individual plan, thats great.

I really like the Droid, and Droid Eris, but my line's cost would be $45/mo on my family plan, and it'd be a whopping $90/mo on a new individual plan, if I'm reading right. If Goons know of any awesome Verizon plans that can get me a smartphone for less, I'm all ears.

Edit: if there is an awesome phone on another provider for a cheaper plan, feel free to mention it. I'm not totally against switching.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

# Current contract status: ELIGIBLE FOR UPGRADE, on family plan, my line currently costs about $15/mo (9.99 access and $5/mo unlimited texting)while total bill for the 4 lines is like ~$60. currently using an enV Touch

# Budget (phone/plan): budget for a Phone is anything $250 or less after discounts. Plan wise, if I can get off my current plan for a cheaper individual plan, thats great.

I really like the Droid, and Droid Eris, but my line's cost would be $45/mo on my family plan, and it'd be a whopping $90/mo on a new individual plan, if I'm reading right. If Goons know of any awesome Verizon plans that can get me a smartphone for less, I'm all ears.

Edit: if there is an awesome phone on another provider for a cheaper plan, feel free to mention it. I'm not totally against switching.

Sprint and TMobile both have smartphones at way below Verizon pricing (basically they got rid of charging $30 a month for smartphone internet). Check coverage, but usually they are both pretty good.

Sprint EPRP Data: $59.99, unlimited text, data and calling to cellphones, 500 mins for landlines plus GPS. HTC Hero and Samsung Moment are both really good.

TMobile: $79.99 unlimited everything (i think) if you buy the phone outright. Recommend Nexus 1 at outright price (save more long term on monthly plan).

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

Current contract status: None, have been with AT&T for a number of years.

Budget (phone/plan): Under 200$ for phone. Don't need to switch plans.

Features I know I want: I really just need a phone - my current unlocked Motorola L6 gets lovely reception no matter where I am, and is in the process of dying. The only thing I want is good reception. I don't need internet access or email or a huge data plan. Basically I need a dumbphone that can call, text occasionally and has a camera. I'm perfectly happy buying something unlocked and just throwing my SIM in there. Any suggestions?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Sprint/USA

Family plan with unlimited data and texting etc.

I currently have the HTC Touch Pro. Sprint is offering to replace it with the Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, Treo Pro, and I think the HTC Snap. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the TP2 and the Pre, but I can't really decide which one to go with? Does anyone have experience with either? What would you recommend. I would rather an android phone, but that's not an option, although I guess I could wait for android to be ported to the TP2, or try to trade it with someone. I need to be able to make it through a day (7ish to 7ish) without scrambling for a charger on moderate usage. I found the rom situation with the tp a little intimidating, but I also really like to have the options there as far as apps and customization goes.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chunk posted:

Sprint/USA

Family plan with unlimited data and texting etc.

I currently have the HTC Touch Pro. Sprint is offering to replace it with the Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, Treo Pro, and I think the HTC Snap. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the TP2 and the Pre, but I can't really decide which one to go with? Does anyone have experience with either? What would you recommend. I would rather an android phone, but that's not an option, although I guess I could wait for android to be ported to the TP2, or try to trade it with someone. I need to be able to make it through a day (7ish to 7ish) without scrambling for a charger on moderate usage. I found the rom situation with the tp a little intimidating, but I also really like to have the options there as far as apps and customization goes.

You can take the TP2 and sell it on craigslist for about $300, then buy your Android phone of choice. The TP2 sells for $300 with contract so it's pretty easy to sell used, without a contract at that price or even $350.

If you don't want to buy the Android phone first, you should get a really cheap phone to activate in the mean time if you don't have an old one lying around. Swapping phones can be done from your account on sprint.com now so you won't need to call or go to a store for this.

Remember to meet the person you're buying a phone form in a Sprint store so they can check the ESN and verify it's not lost or stolen, and then just go ahead an activate it there.

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I posted about a month ago about my gf looking for her own plan and phone, but the situation has changed quite a bit. She got a cheap first generation iphone from a coworker that I'm going to unlock for her later. However, she's pretty excited about getting it activated. I really don't want to see her sign a 2 year contract with AT&T since her income isn't too steady and was hoping she had other month-to-month options.

Anyway I'd really appreciate a prompt reply, since this is her first smartphone and she's understandably a little excited to get it going

Country/Provider: USA - Rochester, NY

Current contract status: none

Budget (phone/plan): under $75/mo

Features I know I want: 700 minutes/month, unlimited texting, iphone data plan or substitute

So, what alternatives to AT&T are there that offer this, preferably without a contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angora posted:

I posted about a month ago about my gf looking for her own plan and phone, but the situation has changed quite a bit. She got a cheap first generation iphone from a coworker that I'm going to unlock for her later. However, she's pretty excited about getting it activated. I really don't want to see her sign a 2 year contract with AT&T since her income isn't too steady and was hoping she had other month-to-month options.

Anyway I'd really appreciate a prompt reply, since this is her first smartphone and she's understandably a little excited to get it going

Country/Provider: USA - Rochester, NY

Current contract status: none

Budget (phone/plan): under $75/mo

Features I know I want: 700 minutes/month, unlimited texting, iphone data plan or substitute

So, what alternatives to AT&T are there that offer this, preferably without a contract.

If you unlock def go TMobile wuth the Even More Plus plan, I think its about $59.99 for 500 mins, $79.99 for unlimited (both include data and text). No contract. And just fyi all iPhones are Edge on TMobile (no 3G) but a 2G iphone can only do Edge anyway. My experience with TMo is their Edge/reception is really good unless you go to the boonies, plus free roaming on ATT when needed, 3G can be a bit spotty but this is a non-issue for you.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 19, 2010

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

Godzilla07 posted:

If you're on Verizon, get a Droid. There's really no excuse. You can get the Nexus One in a few months but it probably will be limited to one plan with around 500 minutes, and unlimited texts and data. The Droid does require a data plan, but it's the same cost as the data plan for the TP2.

I already have unlimited everything with my SCH-i760. Plus, The Droid is too dolled up for me. I prefer the WinMo6.1 on the i760.

Anyone know of any phones coming out in the next year that are going to be similar to the SCH-i760 in it's business-style smartphone setup? Right now, I'm looking at the TP2, but I don't want to buy it if it's going to be outdone in a few months. That Snapdragon processor sounds sexy and I know its going to be put in a i760ish phone right after I buy my next one.

Nair McBoodles
Aug 24, 2003

This ain't nothing but a summer jam. We're gonna party as much as we can.

Godzilla07 posted:

Do you think that Sprint will add any "good" phones to the list available on SERO? The difference in cost between the HTC snap and TP2 is large, and I feel like there's no reason to upgrade to the very best (given that I don't care for touchscreens, keyboards, etc. anyway) if the TP2 is going to drop in price when something better comes along soon.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Here goes

[*]Country/Provider: USA/Alltel

[*]Current contract status: Expired

[*]Budget (phone/plan): I have around $400 I can spend at the moment, but I don't know if that's enough or not for a simple 2-year contract for a higher end phone.

[*]Features I know I want: I don't do much extended talking, so maybe 600 or so minutes a month? I text a lot though, so probably unlimited. I DO need to access my email as I'm on the run a lot of and that's how I get all my assignments from work. Any ideas? Also I don't want a camera on my phone preferably, if it makes much of a difference.

I don't know anything beyond browsing this forum for the last few days, so I'm sorry if I sound retarded.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nair McBoodles posted:

Do you think that Sprint will add any "good" phones to the list available on SERO? The difference in cost between the HTC snap and TP2 is large, and I feel like there's no reason to upgrade to the very best (given that I don't care for touchscreens, keyboards, etc. anyway) if the TP2 is going to drop in price when something better comes along soon.

No, Sprint will very likely be dropping any new smartphones from SERO once Windows 7 Phones start hittin late this year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

crime fighting hog posted:

Here goes

[*]Country/Provider: USA/Alltel

[*]Current contract status: Expired

[*]Budget (phone/plan): I have around $400 I can spend at the moment, but I don't know if that's enough or not for a simple 2-year contract for a higher end phone.

[*]Features I know I want: I don't do much extended talking, so maybe 600 or so minutes a month? I text a lot though, so probably unlimited. I DO need to access my email as I'm on the run a lot of and that's how I get all my assignments from work. Any ideas? Also I don't want a camera on my phone preferably, if it makes much of a difference.

I don't know anything beyond browsing this forum for the last few days, so I'm sorry if I sound retarded.

What type of email? If its gmail or something standard even a basic phone can do that, so I would just recommend something like the LG ENV 3 with unlimited text and data (which should be cheaper than a smartphone data). I'm assuming that Alltel is now Verizon in your area.

Also, every phone except for online ordered blackberrys comes with a camera now a days. No avoiding that one.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Duckman2008 posted:

What type of email? If its gmail or something standard even a basic phone can do that, so I would just recommend something like the LG ENV 3 with unlimited text and data (which should be cheaper than a smartphone data). I'm assuming that Alltel is now Verizon in your area.

Also, every phone except for online ordered blackberrys comes with a camera now a days. No avoiding that one.

Cool, I'll look into it. Yeah, just gmail is what I use but it works. And I know about the phone thing, just wishful thinking. I already have a great camera, I don't need one on my loving phone!

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Country/Provider: USA/Currently Tracfone though I am looking at switching to Page Plus

Current contract status: No Contract I buy minutes when needed.

Budget (phone/plan): I am thinking about switching to Page Plus's 1200 Min/$30 Month plan and dropping my land-line. My current phone is a GSM Motorola w376g and will not work on Verizon's network (Page Plus is a reseller).

Features I know I want: I need a Verizon phone with a clean ESN. My current GSM phone gets excellent reception in my house. Friends with Verizon phones don't seem to get as good a reception or call quality therefore I am most concerned with reception and call quality. I have heard the Motorola e815 and Blackberry Pearl get very good reception. Other than functioning with a Blue Tooth headset I don't really need other features. Are there other phones I should be looking for? What do people think of Page Plus service?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I need help deciding a Prepaid carrier.

Right now I live in little lovely town with bad reception in the outskirts although its fine in town, and I'll be commuting to a big normal sized city to look for jobs and stay with my mother on those days. I want the phone to put on my application so they have better chance of reaching me since I'll be on hte move a lot.

It will be my main phone about 3 days a week or so, but I still don't plan on using it to talk a LOT.

I was thinking of AT&T, and from what I understand they charge a dollar a day when you use it(no dollar if you don't use it that day), then 10 cents a minute after that and free AT&T to AT&T. It seems like a rip off kind of, I mean that's 30 dollars a month plus 10 cents a minute.

I was also thinking of this one off brand reseller at Wal-Mart, that has cars that are 30 bucks for 1000 minutes/equivalent amount of texts for the month, or 45 bucks for unlimited for the month. This seems fishy because the 30 dollar card comes out to 3 cents a minute which is ultra cheaper than anything else prepaid. Will it have a horrid signal or something?

Also TracPhone/Net10 seemed decent because they are simple, cheap and seem to have their unused minutes rollever providing you update with more minutes every couple of months or so.

I'd need this phone to be my primary cell phone like described for about 3 or 4 months, once I find a job in the big city and settle in I'd likely go back to a contract.

So, I really don't care about customer service. I just care that is doesn't cost me and arm and a leg, and that it gets at least half rear end signal because I'll be using it some for job interview calls. Right now I'm leaning towards the one thats 30 for 1000 minutes/45 for unlimited. I just feel like there is something horribly wrong with it like there is a catch since it doesn't have the gay dollar a day type poo poo most main prepaid providers do.

edit: The 45/unlimited one is called Straight Talk, and from what I read the only con is poor CS.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 22, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlazinLow305 posted:

I need help deciding a Prepaid carrier.

Right now I live in little lovely town with bad reception in the outskirts although its fine in town, and I'll be commuting to a big normal sized city to look for jobs and stay with my mother on those days. I want the phone to put on my application so they have better chance of reaching me since I'll be on hte move a lot.

It will be my main phone about 3 days a week or so, but I still don't plan on using it to talk a LOT.

I was thinking of AT&T, and from what I understand they charge a dollar a day when you use it(no dollar if you don't use it that day), then 10 cents a minute after that and free AT&T to AT&T. It seems like a rip off kind of, I mean that's 30 dollars a month plus 10 cents a minute.

I was also thinking of this one off brand reseller at Wal-Mart, that has cars that are 30 bucks for 1000 minutes/equivalent amount of texts for the month, or 45 bucks for unlimited for the month. This seems fishy because the 30 dollar card comes out to 3 cents a minute which is ultra cheaper than anything else prepaid. Will it have a horrid signal or something?

Also TracPhone/Net10 seemed decent because they are simple, cheap and seem to have their unused minutes rollever providing you update with more minutes every couple of months or so.

I'd need this phone to be my primary cell phone like described for about 3 or 4 months, once I find a job in the big city and settle in I'd likely go back to a contract.

So, I really don't care about customer service. I just care that is doesn't cost me and arm and a leg, and that it gets at least half rear end signal because I'll be using it some for job interview calls. Right now I'm leaning towards the one thats 30 for 1000 minutes/45 for unlimited. I just feel like there is something horribly wrong with it like there is a catch since it doesn't have the gay dollar a day type poo poo most main prepaid providers do.

edit: The 45/unlimited one is called Straight Talk, and from what I read the only con is poor CS.

No experience with straight talk, but for low call only uses I usually recommend Net10. A flat 10 cents a minute, minutes last 90 days. If you are only talking to employers i would imagine you would be fine. Plus, Net10 uses either ATT or Verizon (depends on the phone) so coverage is actually really good. Simple and cheap (for low calling).

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat
The only real cons on Straight Talk are poor CS and sometimes their activations system will go down for processing refill cards so you're better off doing auto pay.

That and say you burn through your 1000 texts but still have minutes left on the 30$ plan and put another card on it just resets your time to one month from the day you put the card on and you lose your minutes.

As far as the network it's verizon's network being used by Tracfone. So service will be good and they do have one smartphone (It looks like the Samsung Instinct honestly) which we retail for 328$ but they do have other phones.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
Looking for a new phone.

Country/Provider: USA T-Mobile

Current contract status: Under contract

Phone Budget: less than $250, but I can maybe go a little over if it's worth it.

Features I know I want: My main goal is to get a smartphone with a 3.5mm headphone jack that I can use without a data plan (I'm a cheap bastard), but can still access the Internet with a Wifi connection. As far as I can tell, the only OS that can do that without losing a bunch of features is Symbian, so I've thought about purchasing a Nokia 5530 XpressMusic. However, I'm wondering if there may be something better out there for my needs.

tofufish
Jan 3, 2007
:D
Hello, Im looking for a new one as my current one died (quite awhile ago, im finally sick of my OLD Motorola V3)

Country/Provider: Australia, Virgin
Current contract status: 6months remaining on 24month contract, able to upgrade plan.
Budget (phone/plan): $35~ if no phone is included, $50 if phone is included.
Features I know I want: I want something that will stay current for 2 years or so.

Ive done some research, and I have a few options.

a) Buy a phone outright (I've mainly been looking at iPhones or a Nexus One) and continue to use Virgin for the remainder of my contract.

b) Upgrade my plan to $50 a month for another 24months and get an iPhone ($480 difference over two years compared to my current plan, which is an plan adequate for me.)

c) Buy out of my contract (<$100 to do so) and find a new carrier (Virgin seems to have the cheapest iPhone plan, and i enjoy the free txts/calls)

I guess the main reason for this post is I have no idea which to go for, iPhone or Nexus One. I have never used the iPhone OS or Android for extended periods of time (will be trying out an iPhone before i buy it, but no Nexus Ones in Australia) so im not sure which one I will like, Ive also never had a phone without a keypad before.

Android phones seem to get screwed pretty hard on my carrier (no paid apps), and I would have to import a Nexus One from USA (around $650), this would of course cause complications with the warranty/etc. Should I just go for an iPhone? Is it the right time to buy one? (Ive been hearing mixed answers about this) Will i hate myself a month later for buying one and not the other?

Sorry if I haven't supplied enough information, My carrier isnt so much a problem as is choosing a phone, so for those people who arent Australian, you can ignore that part.

Oh and all prices are in AUD.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Looking for a new phone.

Country/Provider: USA / AT&T
Current contract status: Out of contract (willing to sign up for a new contract)
Phone Budget: ~$100
Features I know I want: I really want a phone good at texting, good call clarity with long battery life. I don't use many other features.

I'd prefer to stay away from anything that requires a data plan but I wouldn't be against not singing a new contract and just buying a phone outright if it gives me better options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Country/Provider: USA/GCI
Contract Status: On parents contract/not sure of specifics
Phone Budget: Up to $150
Features I want: decent camera, decent battery life, bluetooth, (prefer real keyboard, but not necessary), expandable memory, mp3 ringtones, free sync software.

I'm looking at possibly upgrading from a Nokia 6101 to a LG KP500. My carrier basically runs on unlocked phones, so I doubt there would be a problem with buying an unlocked phone online. I've been a huge fan of flip phones, but am willing to give a decent touchscreen phone a try. I've had trouble locating decent sites for reviews that I feel I can trust. This is because I've never had to look for reviews before. Any help is much appreciated.