Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Swamp Zero posted:

That's only true if you assume all spacequest games are worth the same amount of money, and it's still pretty close anyway.

But wasn't the first space-quest like, 4 colors or something? I played most of them and I do play old games but even I don't think I could go back and play 1 ever again.

Space Quest 1, 2 and 3 were originally released in CGA/EGA (up to 16 colors). I know at least the first one got a re-make in VGA (256 colors, as soon in the post above me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ixnay posted:

That's the VGA remake of SQ1; the original Space Quest looked like this:

Yeah, noticed that. :downs:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Radnor posted:

You'll have to wait a little longer because they just released Phantasmagoria as well, also at $9.99. :v:

Motherfucker :aaaaa:

I am so glad they did Phantasmagoria. I loaned my friend the discs back in 2000 and he lost them.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Would have got Phantasmagoria at $6, can't quite bring myself to play $10.

Wait for the inevitable sale on that one, I already own all the Space Quests.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dudley posted:

Would have got Phantasmagoria at $6, can't quite bring myself to play $10.

Me too.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

al-azad posted:

What specifically do you need help on? Do your mages actually know any spells?

Actually, I guess I was looking more for quick ways to ease the learning curve: The most effective party, what quest I should take on first, things I should do as soon as I start the game...

I'll admit I'm just being lazy here, but these games seem to require a lot of management and careful planning. If I could just get a running start, it might help me to actually get into them for real.

edit: Concerning Phantasmagoria's price point, me three. 6$ sounds about right for that game, unless the hosting costs are really that prohibitive.

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 12, 2010

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves
Each time they release a new game I think 'Christ Activision's got a lot of poo poo in their back catalogue'. I wonder if they'll drop any of the more anticipated games, like what are the odds of I76 appearing?

Having said that I bet it's not even released by them and I'm being super dense.

Alex_SmallTalk
Mar 30, 2009

Kikkoman posted:

Do any of you guys have combat tips for Realms of Arkania 1+2? I bought them when they just came out and played the first one for a bit, but the fighting seemed incredibly boring and I didn't know what to do with my mages.

Well, I am starting it myself, but I liked the combat style. One thing to remember though is that in RoA 1 (seems like they fixed this on 2) you can only cast long range spells and fire arrows on the Cartesian axis. That means that your range with anything (weapon or spells) looks like a + instead of an O.

Also, be aware that you need to be at least -5 (I think) at the spell you want to cast, but they will fail a lot. It is usually better to be at least 0 to avoid a lot of failures. Also, find something describing your spells, as a lot of the names are misleading.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend deal: 50% off The Red Baron Pack and The Incredible Machine Mega Pack.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I went to go finally pick up Psychonauts now that I have money, but it said I already owned it.

Some time in the past few months, I managed to magically get Psychonauts and MDK 1+2 added to my account, but I don't remember buying them. I am both frightened and happy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

I went to go finally pick up Psychonauts now that I have money, but it said I already owned it.

Some time in the past few months, I managed to magically get Psychonauts and MDK 1+2 added to my account, but I don't remember buying them. I am both frightened and happy.

You probably splurged during the massive holliday sale and didn't realize it, something I did.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Grawl posted:

Space Quest 1, 2 and 3 were originally released in CGA/EGA (up to 16 colors). I know at least the first one got a re-make in VGA (256 colors, as soon in the post above me).
At some point in the mid-90s Sierra remade all the first Quest games in VGA and, for most, in a PnC format. Kings Quest was the first to be remade, but (and here's where I'm going to mangle terms because that's what growing old does to you) IIRC in 16-color VGA (not SVGA?), much like KQ4, and given KQ4's text parser which paused the game when you started typing and was a bit more forgiving.

Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, and Quest For Glory were then all remade using what I'd loosely call the KQ5 engine, so they had decent visuals and a PnC interface, which made them MUCH easier than their originals since you didn't have to guess at words. None of the others were remade, which makes going to KQ2/3, SQ2, PQ2, etc such a nasty shock, since they were basically on the original engines that don't pause while typing. Plus they are buttfuck ugly.

I've never tried the recent freeware remakes of, I think, KQ2, KQ3, and QFG2, but if they're still available I'd strongly suggest playing those instead of the originals.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

al-azad posted:

You probably splurged during the massive holliday sale and didn't realize it, something I did.

Yep, going through my e-mail says I did exactly that. I think I have a problem :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blodskur posted:

loving purchased. :f5:

The Incredible Machine brings back lots of great memories, and Red Baron looks fun as gently caress.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I bought Red Baron over Christmas and had absolute hell trying to get it to work with my Win7 system and Thrustmaster 16000m. I haven't been able to play it since I bought it. Anyone else having problems?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Blodskur posted:

Passing on Red Baron, but I'm buying the hell out of The Incredible Machine pack. Too bad it doesn't include The Incredible Toon Machine, too, though at least I've still got the CD for that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You have to buy them both to get the deal. It's like 2 for 1, or full price for one.

My question is, how playable is Red Baron 3D nowadays and are there any modernising projects for it? The forums seem kind of vague though they have compatibility patches.

edit: gently caress it, getting it anyway. I somehow completely missed Red Baron ever getting posted there. I wonder if Stellar 7 will ever come up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

teethgrinder posted:

You have to buy them both to get the deal. It's like 2 for 1, or full price for one.
No you don't, the "fine print" specifically says you can do either one, or both:

quote:

It's not a bundle promotion, so you'll receive the 50% discount if you buy one or both titles.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You're definitely right, and it definitely works now. I could swear it wasn't like that when the deal first went up.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

My question is, how playable is Red Baron 3D nowadays and are there any modernising projects for it? The forums seem kind of vague though they have compatibility patches.

Post if you do find anything, I couldn't figure it out.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I only had a few minutes to spend with it, but Red Baron 3D is quite reasonable. Getting it working with 3D acceleration was trivial with OpenGlide, though it oddly looks better in software in some ways. The propeller looks way better with Glide turned on though. It appears that you're limited to 1024x768 resolution.

I just hope this doesn't make me crave the pricey Rise of Flight. Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB-0ImSpQhw

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I'm not sure who owns the rights, but what do you guys think the chances of seeing the classic Age of Empires and Age of Empires II?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Serious Michael posted:

I'm not sure who owns the rights, but what do you guys think the chances of seeing the classic Age of Empires and Age of Empires II?

Microsoft owns the rights, since they bought Ensemble and published them.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Doesn't Microsoft own those titles? Question answered.

Seriously though, I've seen AoE I and II bundles in budget jewel cases at WalMart for $9.99. Not sure if they're DRM-laden, but it seems unlikely.

E: Beaten.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
It's interesting to you see the AoE/II jewel-case bundles for :10bux: and then a boxed copy of the same jewel-case on the shelf below for $20.

Good to see those Command & Conquers, I was just going to dig out Tiberian Sun for masochistic/nostalgia reasons.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

tonelok posted:

As for Phantasmagoria, that was a surprise. That was pretty drat controversial at the time due to the rape scene. The sequel even had somebody saying "gently caress" a couple of times which was A Big Goddamned Deal in the mid 1990s. Plus it had two guys nearly kissing which was Also A Big Goddamned Deal in the mid 1990s.

Man, the 90's sucked.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Caesar 3 is now on GOG for $5.99.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

frowning posted:

I wonder if they'll drop any of the more anticipated games, like what are the odds of I76 appearing?
..and to all others waiting for Interstate '76, there's good news. Coming soon, for $5.99!

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/interstate_%E2%80%9976_arsenal

It's even got its own forum done! http://www.gog.com/en/forum/interstate_76_arsenal/__/693637200/

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Not sure where to put this but The Spirit Engine 2 is now a free game. It's a great old school style RPG with nice artwork.

http://www.thespiritengine.com/tse2-download.php Use the second link because for the first one, you have to do a survey.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Blodskur posted:

Caesar 3 is now on GOG for $5.99.

Ha! I just installed Caesar 2 a couple of weeks ago (it runs fine on XP, no need for MoSlow or DosBox or anything like that). Time to continue my collection and wait patiently for C4 in a couple of years.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
What is Caesar 3 like anyway

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Interstate '76 due on Thursday for $5.99 according to the email I just got.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

guppy posted:

Interstate '76 due on Thursday for $5.99 according to the email I just got.

Hell yeah!!!!

I still have my discs, but it's a pain to get that crap working right on a modern machine. This is going to be fantastic. We should get some online games going.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

What is Caesar 3 like anyway

City-builder in the vein of Pharaoh, Zeus, and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

Basically, build stuff in the right place to please the most people and your city gets better. It's fun, but I'm sorta on the fence about it. I played the poo poo out of the demo when it came out.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

I still have my Caesar III disks. It's a loving great game even if it's got some weird flaws in it that make some missions almost impossible. Definitely worth picking up for $6 though.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I played the ever-loving crap out of Caesar III (and all the other Impressions city builders). Great fun, will buy again.

Praying to every god I can name that they got I76 running decently. Thrilled that it's the Arsenal Pack, too, not just the base game.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

The Machine posted:

City-builder in the vein of Pharaoh,

That's what I was wondering, I played Pharaoh until my head exploded back in the day, is it the same thing just in Rome?

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
When I'76 is released I'll finally join the ranks of people who've bought a game via DD for which they already had the discs. I can't believe it's taken me this long. But for this game it will be SO loving WORTH IT.

Now, please please please please Battlezone 1 and 2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Serious Michael posted:

That's what I was wondering, I played Pharaoh until my head exploded back in the day, is it the same thing just in Rome?

Pharoah came after Caesar III so it's actually Caesar but in Egypt. In other words, yes, if you like one game you'll like the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

al-azad posted:

Pharoah came after Caesar III so it's actually Caesar but in Egypt. In other words, yes, if you like one game you'll like the other.

I liked Caesar 3 a lot, it's not complicated enough to confuse/scare you and has enough poo poo to do to keep you happy if you like building cities and stuff. I don't think it had combat, so that made me even happier, or the combat could be turned off or something. I just liked building things and making sure everyone had water.