Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
GAB2004 and 2005 are unfathomably bad shows. 2005 was one of the most bizarre shows ever in that every single booking decision except Undertaker going over and the BWO losing was the wrong one. It was like they were trying to troll their audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Are there a lot of title reigns that are unrecognized by the WWE? There are two tag title reigns that go unrecognized and both are vs the Hart Foundation coincidentally. The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers in 1987 and The Rockers in 1990. I feel like I'm missing another really obvious one. What are some other ones that went unrecognized?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bearnt! posted:

Are there a lot of title reigns that are unrecognized by the WWE? There are two tag title reigns that go unrecognized and both are vs the Hart Foundation coincidentally. The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers in 1987 and The Rockers in 1990. I feel like I'm missing another really obvious one. What are some other ones that went unrecognized?

There are a handful of unrecognized NWA title reigns, including a couple of Ric Flair's. Blackjack Mulligan, Paul Jones, Greg Valentine and Flair have unrecognized US title reigns. Flair has an unrecognized WCW title reign. I think the WWE outright ignores the WCW International World Heavyweight Title; they definitely (and correctly) don't consider it a world title. There are probably more, but that's all I could find quickly.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
What's everyone's opinions of the split-brand PPV's when WWE still did that? I didn't watch at the time, but it seemed like a pretty dumb decision to me, like you'd lose half the ppv viewership you'd normally have and having both brands one one pay per view is like advertising for each brand to the people who watch the other.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

LightsGameraAction posted:

What's everyone's opinions of the split-brand PPV's when WWE still did that? I didn't watch at the time, but it seemed like a pretty dumb decision to me, like you'd lose half the ppv viewership you'd normally have and having both brands one one pay per view is like advertising for each brand to the people who watch the other.

In theory it wasn't a bad idea because a) only having to do one PPV every other month meant that they could take time to build feuds and would end up repeating main events less, and b) they could put more of their mid-to-lower card on PPV. In practice it didn't really work because they still did a lot of the stuff they do today (feuds would still carry on for multiple PPVs) and one brand was always way more interesting than another, so no one wanted to see half the cards anyway.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

LightsGameraAction posted:

In theory it made sense because each brand had roughly 6 weeks between shows to build angles and matches. It definitely helps build new guys and gives them more PPV experience, too. However, you really paint yourself into a corner if you have just one brand represented on a show because you can't build tri-branded super shows like we get now. If the Raw roster isn't deep enough to fill out a full card, you're stuck.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

GAB2004 and 2005 are unfathomably bad shows. 2005 was one of the most bizarre shows ever in that every single booking decision except Undertaker going over and the BWO losing was the wrong one. It was like they were trying to troll their audience.

Which GAB was it that almost everyone scheduled got sick before the PPV?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

KungFu Grip posted:

Elevated liver enzymes :eng101:

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Bearnt! posted:

Does WWE count Antonio Inoki's "ghost" run with the WWWF title?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CM Junk posted:

they probably will after they induct him

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Can someone post a list of all the WWE legends roundtables? I am trying to find the one where Ric Flair and others discussed worst factions or families.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist
The wrestler that first caught my attention and made me a fan was Sid Vicious. I saw him in like 1990 WCW while flipping channels. However, I distinctly remember his powerbomb being different back then. He'd lift the guy (more often than not Mark Starr or whatever other pale chunky jobber) up the normal way, from the standing headscissors. Instead of going straight up and down, though, he'd have a middle step where he flipped the guy up on his shoulder. Sid'd then hold him there like an Argentine Backbreaker for a second before hopping a bit to throw him off his shoulder and then push him the rest of the way down with his hand on the jobber's gut.

Was I just hosed up when I was 9 or does anybody else remember this?

Edit: Huh, sort of like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-a1A1y7y6M against the best jobber ever. I think I remember more of a pause, though.

Minges fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 13, 2010

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Moose Bigelow posted:

Can someone post a list of all the WWE legends roundtables? I am trying to find the one where Ric Flair and others discussed worst factions or families.

I've seen ones about :

Factions/Stables
Patriotism in Wrestling
Wrestling Territories
The Monday Night War
Worst Characters Ever
Most Important Moments
Giants
The Culture of Southern Wrestling
Heatseekers
Managers
Great Rivals

I don't know how complete that is, I've only watched them on Dailymotion or wherever since I don't have WWE 24/7.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

The Berzerker posted:

I've seen ones about :

Factions/Stables
Patriotism in Wrestling
Wrestling Territories
The Monday Night War
Worst Characters Ever
Most Important Moments
Giants
The Culture of Southern Wrestling
Heatseekers
Managers
Great Rivals

I don't know how complete that is, I've only watched them on Dailymotion or wherever since I don't have WWE 24/7.

Thanks. I have the ones that were on sale at Best Buy a while back but was wondering which one had them talking about stables and Flair saying the nWo was a terrible stable.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

Thanks. I have the ones that were on sale at Best Buy a while back but was wondering which one had them talking about stables and Flair saying the nWo was a terrible stable.

It's their Factions roundtable.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6tgbx_wwe-24-7-round-table-best-factions_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6tghg_wwe-24-7-round-table-best-factions_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6thz0_wwe-24-7-round-table-best-factions_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ti2z_wwe-24-7-round-table-best-factions_sport

Edit: While we're on the subject of the 24/7 roundtables, how many of them would I be able to watch if I got a WWEClassics.com subscription?

CVagts fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 13, 2010

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Bikeage posted:

Vince Russo's (worked) shoot at Bash at the Beach 2000 comes to mind, but there might be something rougher I haven't seen.

The most offensive bit of this happens at 4:20.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Anyone have any good stories of why wrestlers wouldn't do things? I was just reading Tajiri's wiki, and when they brought in Sakoda and Akio, WWE originally wanted to porray them as Japanese gangsters.

Tajiri refused this because he was scared the real Yakuza would view this as an insult and hunt him down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Capsaicin posted:

Anyone have any good stories of why wrestlers wouldn't do things? I was just reading Tajiri's wiki, and when they brought in Sakoda and Akio, WWE originally wanted to porray them as Japanese gangsters.

Tajiri refused this because he was scared the real Yakuza would view this as an insult and hunt him down.

My favorite story is Bischoff congratulating HBK on becoming champion, a few months after the Katie Vick angle.

HBK: Thank you Eric, I just want to let you know, as Champion, I'm not going to do any kind of.... necrophilia angle....
Bischoff: Why Shawn? Does it offend you as a Christian? :rolleyes:
HBK: No! It offends me.... as a wrestler!

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Minidust posted:

We're deep in the PG era now, but what was the most profane segment ever in mainstream wrestling, language-wise? (old ECW doesn't count as mainstream)

I guess only stuff that was actually spoken into a live mic should count. The naughtiest stuff I can think of was wasted on a random Diva Search segment and a Kid Rock concert. Other than that, there was Bret's infamous tirade right before Wrestlemania 13. Also from around 2000-2003, they seemed to make a point of saying "poo poo" on major WWE PPVs.

There was one episode of Nitro where Bret Hart went on a similar tirade, and the usually hypersensitive censors at TNT must have taken the night off.

Does anyone remember or have a transcript of William Regal's promo where he talks about how brutal and savage the British are historically known to be?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
What were these Hart tirades?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Minges posted:

Was I just hosed up when I was 9 or does anybody else remember this?

Not sure what you're looking for, but yes, that's how Sid did a powerbomb. The later jackknife powerbomb was similar.

CM Junk posted:

No, and the likely will not because it was a political problem when it happened. Backlund agreed to drop the title for a week but Inoki didn't do business and lose the title. Backlund brought the belt back and both sides had a bit of a public spat about it.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

The A-Team Van posted:

What were these Hart tirades?

it was sometime leading up to wrestlemania 13 he got real pissed at vince and said "this is bullshit!! frustrated isnt the right goddamn word for it" and other bad words

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Bikeage posted:

Vince Russo's (worked) shoot at Bash at the Beach 2000 comes to mind, but there might be something rougher I haven't seen.

You could clearly hear Scott Steiner regularly from the ring mics.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

The Shaman of Cum posted:

it was sometime leading up to wrestlemania 13 he got real pissed at vince and said "this is bullshit!! frustrated isnt the right goddamn word for it" and other bad words

Frustrated isn't the goddamn word for it! This is bullshit! You screw me, everybody screws me, and nobody does a goddamn thing about it.

This was huge stuff in 1997.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

The Shaman of Cum posted:

Bret had lost a cage match for the title to Sid. USA was very, very angry at Vince for this one.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

Bret had lost a cage match for the title to Sid. USA was very, very angry at Vince for this one.

If I remember correctly, he lost because Austin hit him in the face with a chair as he was about to escape.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

It was the Undertaker. Turns out, instead of all of us remembering it incorrectly, we can watch it:

Part 1
Part 2

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
How long has Samoe Joe had that stupid face paint and who thought it would be a good idea?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Oasx posted:

How long has Samoe Joe had that stupid face paint and who thought it would be a good idea?

He dropped it months ago, and it was a Russo idea. It's odd Joe went with it because he's always said he didn't want to be a fat Samoan savage gimmick.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

WeaselWeaz posted:

He dropped it months ago, and it was a Russo idea. It's odd Joe went with it because he's always said he didn't want to be a fat Samoan savage gimmick.

I looked at TNA's site and under Joe's profile it had a video with him having that on his face so i assumed that is what he looked like currently. I am not a huge fan of Samoe Joe, but his simple look has allways been one of the cool things about him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Oasx posted:

I looked at TNA's site and under Joe's profile it had a video with him having that on his face so i assumed that is what he looked like currently. I am not a huge fan of Samoe Joe, but his simple look has allways been one of the cool things about him.

Don't forget the breasts.

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
I just wanted to add on the JBL's title reign discussion a page ago, there IS some stuff worth going back and watching. Mainly everything he did that involved Eddie. Their Judgment Day match was a fantastic, hate filled brawl with Eddie's infamous bladejob. Their Texas Bullrope match is also about as good a bullrope match you'll get with the touching the corners stip, and they had a really good Cage match on Smackdown too. There was also a 4 way at Armageddon in 2004 with JBL, Undertaker, Booker T, and Eddie Guerrero which is really underrated. It has the only interaction I can think of between Undertaker and Eddie, and it's just a really good match in general, it's just it was the main event of a pretty lovely card. Same with the JBL/Eddie Judgment Day match and Bullrope matches.

But yeah, other than that, not much is really worth seeing. He did have a Last Man Standing match with Angle on a random Smackdown that was really good, and he did a segment in Japan where he fought Godzilla, but that's about it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WeaselWeaz posted:

Joe was willing to do it in Zero One, he's not going to turn it down in TNA. He even gained extra weight for the part that he wouldn't for Japan!

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

TL posted:

Don't forget the breasts.

Does anyone hear me complaining about the breasts?

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Graic posted:

I just wanted to add on the JBL's title reign discussion a page ago, there IS some stuff worth going back and watching. Mainly everything he did that involved Eddie. Their Judgment Day match was a fantastic, hate filled brawl with Eddie's infamous bladejob. Their Texas Bullrope match is also about as good a bullrope match you'll get with the touching the corners stip, and they had a really good Cage match on Smackdown too. There was also a 4 way at Armageddon in 2004 with JBL, Undertaker, Booker T, and Eddie Guerrero which is really underrated. It has the only interaction I can think of between Undertaker and Eddie, and it's just a really good match in general, it's just it was the main event of a pretty lovely card. Same with the JBL/Eddie Judgment Day match and Bullrope matches.

But yeah, other than that, not much is really worth seeing. He did have a Last Man Standing match with Angle on a random Smackdown that was really good, and he did a segment in Japan where he fought Godzilla, but that's about it.

Don't forget about him doing a goosestep with his arm raised like a nazi in Germany during a tour!

You know, I look back on memories of the year of JBL with much more fond memories then I should. I geniunely hated the guy for the first half of that reign, but it felt really good to go into every Smackdown ppv really hoping for him to drop the title. During the JBL run, I felt like a bit of a mark again and it was pretty fun.

Then I started to like his silly stable and his zany antics as his reign started dying. He kind of reminded me of how a good Big Bossman title reign should have gone.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Something I've all of a sudden started wondering. Is there a more useless wrestler than Ed Leslie? I'm sure there are probably a bunch in some poo poo indy fed in rural Ohio or wherever but for the sake of discussion, keep it to guys who have worked for the bigger companies (WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA, ROH I guess).

I can not seriously remember or think of a good match he's ever had. He's had a thousand gimmicks and none of the (except maybe Brutus Beefcake for a bit in the '80s?) were ever over or good. The guy is basically around because he's BFFs with Hogan.

Most anybody else, even guys like Bob Holly, had SOMETHING going for them at one point or another. I can't think of a single thing for Ed Leslie though. The only guys that even come close for me are, like, Sylvan Grenier, Orlando Jordan, Maven, etc.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Suben posted:

Something I've all of a sudden started wondering. Is there a more useless wrestler than Ed Leslie?

The Nasty Boys would probably be up there except for a really good Steiners match from 1990 and some of their matches with Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne. I also remember them having some kind of brawl with Public Enemy at Bash at the Beach in 1996.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to hear what some of the dumber gimmick matches you guys have seen. I've pretty much only watched WWE in my life with bits of WCW mixed in, but I can't think of many gimmicks worse than the Carson City Silver Dollar Match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As a kid I genuinely enjoyed the Brutus Beefcake/Outlaw Ron Bass feud, which started with Bass taking the spurs to Beefcake's face (one of the most :gonk: memories of my childhood) and ended with Beefcake putting Bass to sleep, then cutting up his cowboy hat and dancing around goofily in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

TL posted:

Out of curiosity, I'd like to hear what some of the dumber gimmick matches you guys have seen. I've pretty much only watched WWE in my life with bits of WCW mixed in, but I can't think of many gimmicks worse than the Carson City Silver Dollar Match.

Exploding Anus Death Match