Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Has anyone experience with selling/buying a used Live license?

I've got Live Intro, but also Live Lite from my MIDI Keyboard. Today I upgraded Lite to Live "normal", so this means I still have the spare Intro license (which I bought because Lite was barely usable and Intro is cheap and cool :D ), which I would sell to someone who wants to try Live or get a cheaper upgrade to Live 8 or Suite.

I read in Ableton's licensing FAQ that this is possible, by sending an E-Mail to Ableton with details of the transfer. Is it really that easy, or are there any hurdles/restrictions in the "fine print" (i.e. no rebate on upgrades for used licenses or something like that)?

EDIT: Unrelated question:

Which cheap/free Wave editor would you guys recommend in general? I just have Adobe Soundbooth and - if I didn't miss some magic button that opens up a whole load of features - I'm surprised at how minimal this program's functionality actually is :psyduck:

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
I'm wondering if it's worth starting a track in Live 8 using session view then hooking up and rewiring to logic for further work. I'm not sure if it would take more time setting this up so that I have control over lives effects (if needed) from automation than it would just getting on in the arrange view. Arrange isn't too bad, I just find logic more powerful from the traditional standpoint.

edit: having said that, i don't have any internal live synths, i use absynth and reason. So I figure it wouldn't be too much of a ball ache after all. hmm.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Project Lithium posted:

Alright, I just picked up Suite. I haven't even installed it yet, but I had a question about rewire. I have a couple of songs I like quite a bit, and somebody in this thread said to use rewire to "bypass reason's lovely mixer."*

I suppose my question is should I use the effects from ableton or reason? I don't really have any VST plugins yet, which was my main reason for even getting Ableton, so should I wait to get some plugins or just use ableton for mixing/mastering and use the stuff that comes with Reason?

*this, I think, was paraphrased.

Hate to break this to you, but you *cannot* use VST plugins in Live when using rewire. I guess you might be able to use them in Reason?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Bah, looks like I'm running into a little problem. I'm making a scratch track for a nerdy 17 minute prog rock song in preparation for studio recording. I was going to pre-record my keyboard parts at home to save studio time. I also have friends who live far away who were going to record to this track and send me their parts. Here's where I'm having a problem:

There are 3 different tempos in the track, and at one point it slides up slowly. There are also buttloads of time signature changes. The studio is using Protools, so I'm going to need to somehow export these settings in order to record and mix it there properly.

I tried making a new Ableton project to test this, but I can't get the tempo exactly right again. It just won't line up. My main concern is the part that slides up in tempo. Is there a way to quantize when it starts and stops, and lock it in? I'm just afraid that if I take this into the studio that we won't be able to use it to record over.

I'm using Ableton 7.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RivensBitch posted:

Hate to break this to you, but you *cannot* use VST plugins in Live when using rewire. I guess you might be able to use them in Reason?

What? Of course you can. When you rewire Reason into a Live track, it's just like any other track input, and you can put whatever effects you want on it (VST or Live's own internal effects).

FLX posted:

Has anyone experience with selling/buying a used Live license?

I've got Live Intro, but also Live Lite from my MIDI Keyboard. Today I upgraded Lite to Live "normal", so this means I still have the spare Intro license (which I bought because Lite was barely usable and Intro is cheap and cool :D ), which I would sell to someone who wants to try Live or get a cheaper upgrade to Live 8 or Suite.

I read in Ableton's licensing FAQ that this is possible, by sending an E-Mail to Ableton with details of the transfer. Is it really that easy, or are there any hurdles/restrictions in the "fine print" (i.e. no rebate on upgrades for used licenses or something like that)?

I bought a used Sampler license from some guy on the Ableton forum, basically I paypal'd him the cash, he sent me the s/n and emailed Ableton about the license transfer, and about 2-3 days later they wrote back to say they had done the necessary hand-waving at their end. I was then able to install Sampler just as if I'd bought it from the Ableton store, it shows up in my list of registered products like everything else.

h_double fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 8, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Alright :)

I'm selling my Ableton Live Intro license number in SA Mart.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
I was wondering if anyone knew an easy way to set up my midi controller to easily scroll through a drum rack. Right now I'm using the Axiom 25 so I have 8 pads that correspond to the bottom 8 slices in the drum rack. My current solution is to set up a scale effect that transposes up by 8 steps. I turn this effect on or off to move up and down the drum rack. Anyone do something different that might work a little easier? My method kind of limits me to only 16 slices but I figure there should be a way to scroll up and down a much larger rack.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

SkandalousPanda posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew an easy way to set up my midi controller to easily scroll through a drum rack. Right now I'm using the Axiom 25 so I have 8 pads that correspond to the bottom 8 slices in the drum rack. My current solution is to set up a scale effect that transposes up by 8 steps. I turn this effect on or off to move up and down the drum rack. Anyone do something different that might work a little easier? My method kind of limits me to only 16 slices but I figure there should be a way to scroll up and down a much larger rack.

If you use a Pitch effect, you can scale the input up or down by up to 127 semitones. You could map a knob on your controller to alter the Pitch transpose amount up or down, but that would be a little finnicky (at least for live performance) having to notch it up or down by multiples of 8.

A better solution would be to set up a MIDI Effect Rack, with multiple chains, each containing its own Pitch effect (Chain 1 = no Pitch effect, Chain 2 = Pitch +8, Chain 3 = Pitch +16 etc.). Then map a knob/slider to the Chain Select Ruler, so you could quickly click up and down to each bank of 8 pads.

EDIT: here is a tutorial I wrote about racks if you are unfamiliar with setting up racks/chains.

h_double fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 8, 2010

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

h_double posted:

What? Of course you can. When you rewire Reason into a Live track, it's just like any other track input, and you can put whatever effects you want on it (VST or Live's own internal effects).

Ableton FAQ posted:

Can I access VST Plug-ins in Live when it is running as ReWire slave?

You can use VST Plug-ins in Live only while running Live as ReWire master or as a stand-alone application.

So I was confused on which was which, but you're right if Ableton is the master and Reason is the slave, then you can use VST plugins.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
A few questions...

I'm just getting into Ableton Live right now (I have the free demo, will get the 30 day full free license soon to do a real test run/actually save my work) and I'm using the built in lessons to teach myself. This is my very first audio producing workstation that I have ever worked with so I am completely new to all of this. Is Ableton the right starting program for me? I'm interested in making my own hip hop and trance beats for fun, as well as learning how to mix samples, getting high production values, etc.

Also, I found this website http://www.abletoncourses.com/ . Would this be a worthwhile endeavor to help teach myself the program, or are there better alternatives?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Get the book "Ableton 8 Power".

Feel free to thank me later.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Tostito posted:

A few questions...

Here are some good video tutorials as well.

I'm selling a spare Ableton Live Intro license number in SA Mart, by the way ;)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
huh
every time i export, it only exports like 1/3 of the whole wave
i'm opening it up in audition to convert and its like 1/3 of it there, then silence (though the center line is red and the db meter is off the charts)
renders to different times each time too, first time got almost halfway, others as short as 1/4
any ideas anyone?

edit: after half an hour, apparently publicly complaining about it did the trick, exported no problem! :woop:

mezzir fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 11, 2010

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
Anyone have any experience with session drums? I've been looking into purchasing an electronic drum kit and session drums is the way I want to go with it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I am terrible at playing guitar but need to have some power chords tossed into what i'm doing. Digital Hardcore nonsense. Is Guitar Rig my best bet? I can't seem to do anything spectacular with Ableton's built in instruments.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

magiccarpet posted:

I am terrible at playing guitar but need to have some power chords tossed into what i'm doing. Digital Hardcore nonsense. Is Guitar Rig my best bet? I can't seem to do anything spectacular with Ableton's built in instruments.

Just to be clear, do you want a synthesized/sampled guitar, or an amp modeler to process an actual guitar? Because that's what Guitar Rig is, a bunch of virtual amps and effects to play through, you still need to provide an actual guitar. (that said, it's an excellent program)

If that's not what you want, maybe a sample pack from someplace like Loopmasters?

h_double fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 11, 2010

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
APC40 owners - I'm getting one soon I was wondering how you guys liked them and had them custom set up.

thArf fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 11, 2010

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I have the APC40. Its pretty neat. I've been using it primarily for DJing and still haven't figured out quite how I want to set it up but it feels very solid. I was having some latency issues but I'm sure I can get it worked out once my laptop is back up and running.

The most misleading thing in the tech specs to me was their claim about 17 endless rotary encoders (knobs). In reality only the cue volume one works as it should. The other 16 are technically endless (from a hardware standpoint) but something in the firmware assigns them an absolute value so you can't use them to scrub through a whole track with any kind of precision.

If someone knows what I'm talking about and knows of a firmware hack or workaround I'd be elated. All in all this was still a good buy though.

Edit for some mapping tips:
Check out Bome's MIDI Translator - http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator
It opens up so many possibilities that you will never stop working on your layout. For example, you can give any button "shift" functionality so that tapping it or holding it down changes every other mapping.
I never use the scene launch buttons when DJing so I remapped those. I also remapped the crossfader to fade between wet and dry chains for effects. We can't really give you any specific tips unless you give us some ballpark idea of what you're trying to do in Live.

Edit2: Found a thread about the endless encoder issue and it looks like it may be possible to write a software workaround. I'll look into it more later.
http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4156&sid=28e7e8333af269d379abbeeac908f31a

Dopo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 11, 2010

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
That's good info and right along the lines I was wondering. I understand you can do many things with it and so I was curious how different users had adapted it for their needs.

I will be using it to perform in clubs but also at home to fiddle with compositions etc so I'll likely have several different layouts. I have a MPD32 and that works wonders out of a tiny footprint but as an ableton user I understand how much further I can go with the APC. As of now I have several sets where I use the MPD drum pads as clip launches (4 banks of 4x4.)

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Yeah, that MIDI translator isn't APC specific, it just remaps incoming MIDI data. You could give it a test drive with your pads before the APC shows up if you're getting antsy.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

My show Friday was canceled due to some building code violations at the venue, I was going to be performing with C. Faith. She uses an RS7000 with a bunch of hardware synths and a KaosPad, when we perform she sends me time code, I lock Live into step with her, and then she drops some house music while I light up the room.

I spent all week working on a new Live set to use my new toys and now I can't, so I have a need to share. Here's my lighting setup with a custom Max4Live patch that is controlled by my recently acquired launchpad.

My live set has 8 MIDI tracks loaded with simple clips arranged from left to right in timing sequences. A common pattern is a single Color ON that fades to black, but each channel is offset so channel 1 is beat 1, channel 2 is the & of 1, channel 3 is beat 2, etc.

I have two novation knobs mapped to pitch adjustment and velocity scaling on all channels, which allows me to change the colors displayed (pitch) and how quickly they fade between each other (velocity).

The launchpad is a routing grid where the rows represent the 8 MIDI tracks in live, and the columns represent the 8 ColorSynths from left to right. The diagonal line pictured is the default setting, MIDI track 1 to ColorSynth 1, track 2 to ColorSynth 2, etc.

Pressing the "Track Arm" button on the lower right of the launchpad alternates between only being able to assign each ColorSynth to a single MIDI track (selecting track 2 deselects any other assigned track for that ColorSynth), and being able to assign as many tracks to a ColorSynth as you want.

The Novation controller is loaded with a ColorSynth preset so that I can select any of the parameters (ColorSliding, oscillating, strobing, direct RGB levels, or pressing keys to generate colors), and it's routed to all of the ColorSynths regardless of channel assignment.

When I'm improvising light sequences with this setup, with my right hand I'm usually flipping the launchpad between session view and launching clips, and my max4live patch where I'm controlling how the sequence is divided among the 8 ColorSynths. With my left hand I'm using the novation to tweak the Colors and fade times, adjust the speed of the color oscillators, strobing, and pulling back the master brightness which creates some cool affects when the colors drop below the master fader threshold.

Unfortunately for now I only have one audience member:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

h_double posted:

Just to be clear, do you want a synthesized/sampled guitar, or an amp modeler to process an actual guitar? Because that's what Guitar Rig is, a bunch of virtual amps and effects to play through, you still need to provide an actual guitar. (that said, it's an excellent program)

If that's not what you want, maybe a sample pack from someplace like Loopmasters?

Synthesized guitar. Its probably stupid, but it would save some time in cranking out basic ideas.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

mezzir posted:

any ideas anyone?

Check the Export Audio/Video dialog and look just above the OK button.

"Live will render the output of the chosen track over the selected time range". Make sure the track is correct and the numbers are correct.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

magiccarpet posted:

Synthesized guitar. Its probably stupid, but it would save some time in cranking out basic ideas.
GuitarRig and Amplitube are great at making pretty much anything sound very guitar like, especially if you're adding a lot of distortion. If all you need is some distorted power chords, you'd be surprised at what you can get by running a horrible synthetic guitar (general MIDI for instance) into either of those amp/effect modelers. If you have a pitch/mod wheel on whatever your input is, you're golden.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Splinter posted:

GuitarRig and Amplitube are great at making pretty much anything sound very guitar like, especially if you're adding a lot of distortion. If all you need is some distorted power chords, you'd be surprised at what you can get by running a horrible synthetic guitar (general MIDI for instance) into either of those amp/effect modelers. If you have a pitch/mod wheel on whatever your input is, you're golden.

Rad, thanks.

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl

RivensBitch posted:

fascinating stuff, those light globes worth a lot of moola?
also can you post a video of them in action? (preferebly with the stonercat)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
drat the month since I got Ableton and my APC40 has been one of the busiest of my life. However I've managed to make one thing which I am happy with:

It was more of a learning experience than anything else but I had a lot of fun with it too. There are three or four more tracks that I've been playing with and I should have plenty of time in the next several months to fiddle around. I won't be able to get a keyboard or anything until next fall and I'm using a pair of Skullcandies to mix right now. I'm happy because I have a basic understanding of how things flow in Live and I learn something new every time I sit down with it. I miss my drums and my bass but this program is a hell of a good time. I haven't even downloaded any VSTs yet and I only know how to do like four things but the possibilities are already overwhelming.

So yeah give me notes and I'd also appreciate some recommendations for a nice set of headphones that can plug into my MacBook. I'm looking to spend around $300 for something that will last.

baw fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 13, 2010

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Nindoze posted:

fascinating stuff, those light globes worth a lot of moola?
also can you post a video of them in action? (preferebly with the stonercat)

I sell the colorsynths for $300 a pair, so that's technically $1200 worth. Video would be a good idea but Id prefer a demo with music and mine isn't up to task really. Anyone want to lend me their live set to perform to?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

RivensBitch posted:

I sell the colorsynths for $300 a pair, so that's technically $1200 worth. Video would be a good idea but Id prefer a demo with music and mine isn't up to task really. Anyone want to lend me their live set to perform to?

That would be rad. If the track I posted above is sufficient to show off all the cool stuff then I can send you the .als.

baw fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 13, 2010

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Random track I cooked up in Live!

Theos
Oct 18, 2002

by angerbot

My freshman effort in Ableton. I think I hosed with the volume too much, but I was running out of ideas on how to build the intensity of the song.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Theos posted:

My freshman effort in Ableton. I think I hosed with the volume too much, but I was running out of ideas on how to build the intensity of the song.

I like this a lot! It's definitely pretty crude and sloppy, but please please don't let your music get "polished" at the expense of being crazy and surprising.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Theos posted:

I really don't think the intensity needed to be built any more than what it was. I liked it!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have a question about MIDI mapping. I set up my Axiom 49 with the default midi maps, which set my sliders to control the volume on tracks 1-8 and the buttons underneath the sliders to mute them or unmute them. I'd rather have those buttons set up to arm the track for recording.

I created a new file, made 8 tracks, mapped each button to the respective arm button, and set it as my default template but it doesn't really work the way I want it to. If I delete a track or change the order it stops making sense. Does anyone know how I can set them to arm/unarm tracks 1-8, not the specific tracks that I click on?

Thanks!

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

I was wondering if you guys know where to get any good plugins for bass? I use Ableton Live in a band I play in, and I run my bass through my Live into my bass amp. I have an Electro-Harmonix Microbass Synth pedal, but it doesn't work so well. I was wondering if there's any way to get an approximation of that as a plugin, or an effect? I've tried the audio effects in live, but it sounds too digital really. Thanks for any answers you guys can provide. Peace!

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I have no idea what the pedal you're talking about does, but if you're looking to process your bass with a plugin I suggest NI's Guitar Rig plugin. I'm a guitarist, not a bassist, but IMO this poo poo is bomb.

quote:

15 supreme-sounding guitar and bass amps
Brand new Control Room module offers carefully tweaked professional mikings for unparalleled studio tones.
New Matched Cabinets (version 4) offers a harmonized speaker setup for every single amp
48 perfectly modelled guitar effects including distortions, flangers, choruses, tremolos, wah-wahs, pitch shifting, delays and reverbs plus premium features like the loop machine and powerful modifiers.
New Master Effect section retains reverberation and delays while changing presets
Improved preset browser with extensive search functions and KORE 2 format compatibility
more than 250 brand new, high-quality presets for all genres
True stereo processing for all components
Cabinets & mics module with 17 guitar and six bass cabinets, four rotary speakers and nine microphones
Integrated tuner, metronome and two tapedeck modules for easy recording
Dedicated "Live View" for performing on stage
What more do you need?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 14, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

baw posted:

... I'm using a pair of Skullcandies to mix right now.

Just for info ... this is probably not surprising, but run through speakers which can provide bass, the bass drum(s?) drown out everything else.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Progressive house in Em.

growlerpig
Jun 17, 2009

a little man and a house

Finnebass posted:

I was wondering if you guys know where to get any good plugins for bass? I use Ableton Live in a band I play in, and I run my bass through my Live into my bass amp.
just curious are you using a reamp box between your laptop and amp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Progressive house in Em.

My wife and I really like this, have any more?