Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

Armacham posted:

new headlight and trailtech vapor for my girlfriend's KLX400

I'm really happy with the vapor I put on my bike. My only gripe is that I wish the engine temp was on the first screen instead of the ambient. It's quite a minor gripe, though, it's a good product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I replaced my valve cover gasket. When I got to the bolts I needed to remove they were loose enough I could spin them with my hand. :wtc:
Welp, I guess that's why it was leaking. Do those bolts wiggle loose over time or something?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I noticed there were a few drops of oil on the ground below my f2, not enough to be seriously concerned about the oil level but might need a top off every few weeks. :argh: took off the left fairing, noticed there was a bit of oil on the bottom of the generator case, so I busted out the torque wrench and torqued all the bolts down evenly, sat all night, and most of today, no more leaks/oil on the ground, i'm happy I don't need to replace the gasket now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Zool posted:

Good computer, I would have gone with the Trail Tech headlight as well though.

http://trailtech.net/x2.html

Hmmm! This would look good on a streetbike as well.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nothing. Because it's STILL IN THE loving SHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

EvilDonald posted:

I'm really happy with the vapor I put on my bike. My only gripe is that I wish the engine temp was on the first screen instead of the ambient. It's quite a minor gripe, though, it's a good product.

yeah at least it has a warning light that will come on if it gets too hot

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

drat dude, what's the story now?

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I replaced my valve cover gasket. When I got to the bolts I needed to remove they were loose enough I could spin them with my hand. :wtc:
Welp, I guess that's why it was leaking. Do those bolts wiggle loose over time or something?

No, they shouldn't be loose enough to spin by hand/work their way loose. Probably not torqued down right by the PO.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Not surprising. Either way, it doesn't leak anymore and that all that matters. :)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

drat dude, what's the story now?

Turns out Suzuki were right. You can't remove the SDTV actuator...because you can't put them back on straight. The new one burnt out. My mechanic checked everything and it's the actuator that's hosed. He found a good 2nd-hand set of throttles, but the guy who has them hasn't delivered them two days in a row.

I WANT IT BACK FUCKEN.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 11, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
This is why you always own at least 3 bikes.

At least that's how I justify it.

Today I learned that the best way to wheelie the ZZR 1200 is definitely to pop the clutch just enough to get the front end off the ground and then use the power to modulate height. It's a lot of fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

After stupidly listening to the weather forecast for the past two days that said snow and ice I rode the bike into work today. The last two days were fine and today was fine, good to be back on the bike with my nice parking spot in front.

Did realize that just because my neighborhood is clear doesn't mean the whole route is clear. Got to do 1-2 miles of icy lovely roads, surprisingly no one felt the need to tailgate me going through there. Only had the rear end slip on two occasions, one on accident while accelerating and one when I was hitting the rear brake to check traction.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
* I added a gallon of gas to the SR250 after a couple ounces of seafoam, and it fired right up, and ran smoothly. Aired up the tires (is 32PSI high or low for a 230 pound rider?)
EDIT: Found full PDF manuals for both Yamahas. Both bikes are 28/32 for over 192 pounds load.

* Added a couple ounces of seafoam to the XS400 and the BMW, started, idled for a bit.

We're likely going out riding Saturday afternoon with Jendywo's friend Erica, who needs to move her Honda from her old condo to the new house, and a ride on a nice 50* day seems like a better way to do it than a U-haul.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 14, 2010

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
On the GS400..

Fixed the front brake light issue
Fixed the rear left turn signal ground issue
Put on new mirrors
Put in new headlight
Adjusted the carb sync
Adjusted the pilot screws
Hid some wires and cables out of the way with zip ties.

And finally... Revved it a lot! Not too shabby of a day all in all.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Oh, nothing much.

Just because, heres what I started with. Yes, Orange and Purple. No, I don't know what I was thinking.

And heres the frame, once it dries a bit more i'll take it into the sun for a better shot.

And the tank, this was just after getting the last coat on it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Borrowed a trailer and brought it home* from Cleveland.

*"Home" = my dad's garage, until I get a cover. Catch-22: I could've built a garage with the money I spent on the bike.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Changed the oil and filter on the ST1300, and cursed repeatedly while trying to remove the filter that was muscled on by the dealership the previous owner let service the bike last time it was due.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

2ndclasscitizen posted:

^^^

GS500 still in the shop, apparently the 3 allen bolts that screw into the starter clutch and hold it against the rotor are coming from the east coast, and the place the shop ordered it from is closed down from the blizzard, gently caress.

I'm feeling so much better about buying the F2...

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
On my xj600 Seca II I...

Tinkered with my carbs some more. Too tired to ride it at the moment, but tomorrow morning will check to see if I got the stupid float levels correct this time.

Cleaned and adjusted my cam chain tensioner

New muthafuckin' tires

Wrapped the exhaust pipe

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Installed the battery tender, getting battery acid all over my hands and into an open cut, probably reducing my life span by at least a year.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
yeah but that's off the end of your life and those years suck anyway

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Found out the tank I ordered online couldn't be coated by the radiator shop because there were a number of tiny pinprick holes in it.

The battery is charging now. Tomorrow I will take the bike to the cycle shop, and ask them whether I should keep and patch the current leaky tank, patch the new tank and hope it doesn't leak, or try to find a new tank. Also, the front tire is low and cracked, the chain is badly out of adjustment, and it needs an oil change.

OWNING AN OLD BIKE IS FUN.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

MrKatharsis posted:

OWNING AN OLD BIKE IS STUPID EXPENSIVE.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
Installed a bellypan and rear seat cowl thing. Been wanting these for a while and finally got a good deal.

I want to start researching headlight options for my SV now.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I rode the FZR home and went full redline WOT on a strech of open highway for a couple gears. Had a stupid grin on my face the rest of the way home.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Scrubbed all the grime off my plastics in the bathtub.

..not weird..

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Scrubbed all the grime off my plastics in the bathtub.

..not weird..

You and dietcokefiend should have a party. :gay:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Put it back together, rolled it out of the living room, and wheelied the crap out of it.

Schmitty
Aug 2, 2004
Installed rear brake pads over the last 2 nights (needed anti-squeal cream). Next up: Zard exhaust. Scheduled arrival, 2/22.

I have my bike parked in the living room, which has white carpet. :downs:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Schmitty posted:

anti-squeal cream

They should sell that at health spa stores.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Took off the rear seat cowl+gas tank. Fixed up a bunch of scratches and started to sand it down. Going to paint them and try to fix my gas sensor tomorrow since it's stuck on and I can't figure out why.

Click here for the full 1600x1202 image.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Today I reinstalled my soldered gauges back on my Speed Triple, figuring it'd go one of three ways:

A) the gauges work fine, as does the bike
B) the gauges work the way they did before (busted buttons) and the bike works
C) something got soldered wrong, and bricked the gauges which gives me a 420lb paperweight.

I'm pleased to say that it was A).

After reinstalling everything, including the battery, I took it outside the storage unit to start it up (since it was 45 degrees) telling myself I was only going to start it. Then I started it.. and sat on it. 'BUT THATS IT' I told myself.. nope, couldn't help it. Sunglasses, jeans, sneakers and my alpinestars hoodie was my gear today, but I only went around for a few minutes, and hit no major roads. Man, it felt really good to get back out there, even for a few minutes. Now I just want winter gone. :(

I also took a few pics so I can figure out what the suspension is current set on, and I need to also check into when to read the coolant level, because it looked VERY low.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Patching holes, because there are SO MANY MORE holes in my gas tank than previously thought. It looks like someone blasted the underside with birdshot.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Fantastipotamus posted:

Today I reinstalled my soldered gauges back on my Speed Triple, figuring it'd go one of three ways:

A) the gauges work fine, as does the bike
B) the gauges work the way they did before (busted buttons) and the bike works
C) something got soldered wrong, and bricked the gauges which gives me a 420lb paperweight.

I'm pleased to say that it was A).

After reinstalling everything, including the battery, I took it outside the storage unit to start it up (since it was 45 degrees) telling myself I was only going to start it. Then I started it.. and sat on it. 'BUT THATS IT' I told myself.. nope, couldn't help it. Sunglasses, jeans, sneakers and my alpinestars hoodie was my gear today, but I only went around for a few minutes, and hit no major roads. Man, it felt really good to get back out there, even for a few minutes. Now I just want winter gone. :(

I also took a few pics so I can figure out what the suspension is current set on, and I need to also check into when to read the coolant level, because it looked VERY low.

oooh pretty.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

ari.gato posted:

oooh pretty.
Thanks! One more because I <3 my bike. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I think I broke it :ohdear: (:lol: cruiser)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Drained the old gas out of the tank of 2002 Yamaha R6 and replaced it with new gas plus a little Seafoam. I also changed the spark plugs. Why didn't anyone tell me that you have practically disassemble the whole bike to change the plugs? Also, cleaned and oiled the chain.

It's running better but the carbs must still be gummed up. I let it warm up on 1/2 choke and then it would idle decent with no choke. Giving it any throttle resulted in stalling. I adjusted the idle up a little bit and it would sometimes hang at 4500 when I blipped the throttle but it no longer stalled.

Nonetheless it was 40 degrees out. Roads are still covered in rock salt. gently caress it, I took it for a short ride. drat thing shifts like a dream! It never stalled and the idle didn't hang much at all on the road. Maybe I just need to ride it some more and let the Seafoam do its work. I'm pretty handy and have cleaned carbs before but the R6 carbs are a pain in the rear end to get to. If it doesn't clear up I guess I'll bite the bullet and take it to a dealer. :(

Let's see. I just take off both seats, the gas tank, and then..

the airbox, air induction system, cowling, and heat shield. Seriously WTF?

This was the worst looking one. Which isn't bad at all.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Flooded it. :doh:

I looked at the temperature outside and it was 54 and sunny. I did what you aren't supposed to do. I thought "You know, the bike has sat for a month and a half due to crappy weather. I should give it a once over."

NAH gently caress it - I want to ride NOW.

Put on my gear, hopped on, didn't start. Gave it gas it still wouldn't start. :wtc: After cranking for a bit, I smell gas and realize that I didn't have the choke on. Yep. loving flooded. Tried to clear it out, but the battery was low, so I ran it down. Bleh.

Hooked up the charger, pulled 3 of the plugs (all I could get to) and cleaned them off. Let the battery charge for 30 minutes while I did a quickie inspection. After that, she started and the other 3 cylinders cleared.

Turns out the negative terminal screw had become very loose (not the problem, though), so it was probably a good thing I had to do this.

Then went on a 2 hour ride in the 60 degree weather. :hellyeah:

Lesson learned: Take your time. 5 minutes extra on the road won't kill you, but taking off on an unsafe bike might.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Before:

After:

Clear coat coming up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Took the beast out for its seasonal maiden voyage last night. Discovered its idling fast and the tail running light wasn't working. Fixed both today and went for a nice burn into the Olympic village and wherever.

:drat: I missed riding!