Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I can't quite tell what it is, but it looks like something I'd do. Are you knitting some stitches backwards?

You guys have talked about ravelry for years but I confess: I just NOW broke down and signed up. Oh my god! I thought it was very different. I've found so many projects. I'm working on Hugs + Squoze (http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2010/02/new_mochimochi_pattern_hugs_sq.html ) as a last-minute V-Day present for my boyfriend. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
WHY DO I ALWAYS THINK I CAN KNIT ANYTHING IN ONE DAY!!!

Gift for a friend due tomorrow. Party starts at 3. I've known about this for more than 6 months. Initially I thought I'd knit her a sweater, then a pillow, and now it's a blanket. I've had so much free time on my hands to knit it! When did I start it? Yesterday. I've been awake two days now working on this blanket non-stop and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it in time (less than 24 hours to go how the hell am I gonna block it!) My hand looks like a freaking claw.

EVERY. loving. TIME. And yet I don't learn my lesson. Another friend is having a birthday party on the 25th. Have I started working on her sweater? Ha. Ha. Ha.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Ozma posted:

I can't quite tell what it is, but it looks like something I'd do. Are you knitting some stitches backwards?

You guys have talked about ravelry for years but I confess: I just NOW broke down and signed up. Oh my god! I thought it was very different. I've found so many projects. I'm working on Hugs + Squoze (http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2010/02/new_mochimochi_pattern_hugs_sq.html ) as a last-minute V-Day present for my boyfriend. :)

What's your name let's be friends :3:

Also I figured it out and instead of knitting between both stitches you have to actually bring the needle BEHIND the second one and knit into the back that way. I know it technically says that in the pattern but it's really strangely worded so it took me forever to catch on. :(

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Hobo Camp posted:

Gift for a friend due tomorrow. Party starts at 3. I've known about this for more than 6 months. Initially I thought I'd knit her a sweater, then a pillow, and now it's a blanket. I've had so much free time on my hands to knit it! When did I start it? Yesterday. I've been awake two days now working on this blanket non-stop and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it in time (less than 24 hours to go how the hell am I gonna block it!) My hand looks like a freaking claw.

EVERY. loving. TIME. And yet I don't learn my lesson. Another friend is having a birthday party on the 25th. Have I started working on her sweater? Ha. Ha. Ha.

Yeeep. I do this to. Case in point "oh wow, look at that squid! Simon would love one of those for this birthday. In 3 days. No problem, I'm unemployed, right?!"

His birthday was on the 3rd and I still have 2 tentacles to go.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

Yeeep. I do this to. Case in point "oh wow, look at that squid! Simon would love one of those for this birthday. In 3 days. No problem, I'm unemployed, right?!"

His birthday was on the 3rd and I still have 2 tentacles to go.

"I can totally knit that in a few days" is the downfall of every knitter.

Don't get me started on my second tentacle bag. :smithicide:

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Hobo Camp posted:

I've got a gift due in July that I'm really antsy about starting now because otherwise I know I'd be starting it the night before.

In all honesty, I'm still probably gonna wait until the last second, but at least I'm thinking about starting it now.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cross-stitch-scarf-2

I'm making this scarf from 101 Designer One Skein patterns.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what I'm doing WRONG.

Slide needle between 1st and 2nd stitch. Go down through 2nd stitch. Wrap yarn around. Pull through loop but do not slide off. Go up through 1st stitch. Wrap yarn around. Pull out and remove both stitches. I had another friend who knits try it and she got the same kind of result.

The purl rows are the ones that look right.

Anyone made this or have thoughts? Blah.

I've tried starting this pattern three times and I always screw something up and give up on it. I'm afraid to try again because it's so drat frustrating.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I've been a member for a while but just got back into knitting, heres my profile: http://www.ravelry.com/people/Media

Right now I'm working on a lace stole which I will likely give to a friend if I ever finish it

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Media/easy-lace-stole

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Meanwhile, when I start projects early I finish them WAY too soon.

I'm half-way done with the french press slippers and my mom's birthday isnt until the 26th of march

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Windy posted:

I've tried starting this pattern three times and I always screw something up and give up on it. I'm afraid to try again because it's so drat frustrating.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/cecebiesanz/cross-stitch-scarf

This is what would have saved me if I had seen it before I did the same thing by myself. The rest of it isn't so bad really, though I definitely ditched doing it on my metal needles for my acrylics.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Ozma posted:

I'm a web developer, and honestly, ravelry is the best niche-market web application I've ever seen. I use it in my "This is what they SHOULD have built for their users" examples all the time. There just isn't much wrong with it, and there is so much right. The notebook model is truly inspired -- having a place to catalog your stash is great. But hands-down, the best thing is how interlocked the searching is amongst yarns, projects, and user projects. If I have some random yarn in my stash, I can find its entry in their yarn DB, and then look at the projects users have made with that yarn to get ideas.

I never thought that knitting would be the place that I find a really fantastic web app.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Firequirks posted:

I'm a web developer, and honestly, ravelry is the best niche-market web application I've ever seen. I use it in my "This is what they SHOULD have built for their users" examples all the time. There just isn't much wrong with it, and there is so much right. The notebook model is truly inspired -- having a place to catalog your stash is great. But hands-down, the best thing is how interlocked the searching is amongst yarns, projects, and user projects. If I have some random yarn in my stash, I can find its entry in their yarn DB, and then look at the projects users have made with that yarn to get ideas.

I never thought that knitting would be the place that I find a really fantastic web app.

I find myself wishing there were Ravelrys for other hobbies all the time. It's just amazing.

And the forums...the mind boggles.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I find myself wishing there were Ravelrys for other hobbies all the time. It's just amazing.

And the forums...the mind boggles.

The Remnants forum is like some 4chan-esque echo chamber for overprotective suburban moms. I couldn't deal with it anymore.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Firequirks posted:

I was thinking the same thing when I signed up. It has interesting levels of interaction: if you just want to look for projects, that's fine. If you just want to post pictures of what you make, that's fine too. Or you can post your own patterns (free or for sale), yarn for swaps, post in groups, talk just about yarn, etc etc.

I wish craftster was set up like that. A thread here on SA is fine for those of us who like to share what we have, but a site devoted to DIY crafts shouldn't have that sort of forum setup, since it makes it difficult to effectively search through projects or just find pattern info. Craftster seems to be about 90% "look at what I made" with no real patterns or crafting information, just pictures that are interesting.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I can't believe I actually finished the blanket in time.

It was for a friend of mine who recently sold an episode idea for the show Legend of the Seeker. The episode aired yesterday and we had a little party for her to celebrate. She loved it so much. Two days of knitting, non-stop, no sleep, I finally came home last night after the party and passed out for 12 hours.

I'm happy with it, but seriously, I need to stop starting my projects 3 minutes before they're due.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.
^^This is loving badass and worth every minute put into it. I wish I had friends like you :unsmith:.......:smith:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

The Remnants forum is like some 4chan-esque echo chamber for overprotective suburban moms. I couldn't deal with it anymore.

I've never gone in Remnants, I don't think.

Just, the groups. Search any goddamn topic in the world and there's a group of knitters devoted to it AND they have their own subforum. It's like a rabbit hole.

In other news, I think I might be the Knitting Olympics version of the Georgian luger. :( I've barely done anything and what I did do is hideous.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Dunno how many people here play TF2, and its not like its the most impressive thing, but I made a Tough Guy's Toque (one of the HEavy's hats):

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Hobo Camp posted:

I can't believe I actually finished the blanket in time.

It was for a friend of mine who recently sold an episode idea for the show Legend of the Seeker. The episode aired yesterday and we had a little party for her to celebrate. She loved it so much. Two days of knitting, non-stop, no sleep, I finally came home last night after the party and passed out for 12 hours.

I'm happy with it, but seriously, I need to stop starting my projects 3 minutes before they're due.

Holy crap, how many stitches across is that thing?!

When you mentioned a blanket, I thought you meant for a sprog, not a double bed.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Blackish Sheep posted:

Sorry for the abbreviations! I was typing from my notes and wasn't paying attention. Inc means increase and kfb is knit front and back.

I'm really excited to see finished squids! Y'all make me feel so special. :swoon:

I made a little eyepatch for Ol' Salty since he said he was embarrassed that I posted pics of him with his missing eye. Here's a pic of him with his buddy Alexander Fairchilde.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

fake edit: yeah this project will make your hands really sore. When I was finishing it last week I tried to do a finish-up-marathon-tentacle-knit and I regret it.

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Any chance you have the pattern for a smaller size? I'd like to try this to use up 2 skeins of Vanna's Choice I bought on sale that it turns out I hate the feel of, but I'm pretty darn sure it's not enough. Also I have noooo idea where I'd put a squidly that big, but half the size is still large and perfect!

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Ozma posted:

I was thinking the same thing when I signed up. It has interesting levels of interaction: if you just want to look for projects, that's fine. If you just want to post pictures of what you make, that's fine too. Or you can post your own patterns (free or for sale), yarn for swaps, post in groups, talk just about yarn, etc etc.

I wish craftster was set up like that. A thread here on SA is fine for those of us who like to share what we have, but a site devoted to DIY crafts shouldn't have that sort of forum setup, since it makes it difficult to effectively search through projects or just find pattern info. Craftster seems to be about 90% "look at what I made" with no real patterns or crafting information, just pictures that are interesting.

Exactly! I really dislike posting on there now, it's poorly set up, and just a place to get a pat on the head. Once in a while I do, mostly to try and drive traffic to my blog, but it's just not any use if I actually need help, advice, or constructive discourse. I really wish there was a sewing/garment making site along similar lines to ravelry...

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Goldaline posted:

Exactly! I really dislike posting on there now, it's poorly set up, and just a place to get a pat on the head. Once in a while I do, mostly to try and drive traffic to my blog, but it's just not any use if I actually need help, advice, or constructive discourse. I really wish there was a sewing/garment making site along similar lines to ravelry...

There's kind of burdastyle, but even that is not nearly approaching the awesome that is ravelry.

I personally hate craftster for pretty much those same reasons; someone could post a piece of poo wrapped in red heart yarn and people would say stuff like "how creative!" "what a nice poo!" "thanks for sharing!"

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Goldaline posted:

There's Woven which I think is trying to be the same thing as Ravelry but for sewing, but it's at an incredibly early stage and is pretty useless right now. It might be better in the future, but looking at it again it might also have died out.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Micomicona posted:

I personally hate craftster for pretty much those same reasons; someone could post a piece of poo wrapped in red heart yarn and people would say stuff like "how creative!" "what a nice poo!" "thanks for sharing!"

Which is why I refuse to post on the etsy forums. I've seen the most terrible items get posted only to have people respond with glowing praise. The worst is the Critiques forum, which I got the ever so helpful advice of "Your shop is PERFECT!!!"

Something Awful's spoiled me rotten.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Screw Remnants, LSG is where it's at (although I mostly just lurk there as well)!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Micomicona posted:

I actually had a post deleted from craftster quite a while ago. I had posed the story of my ex's sister, who had cheated on her husband, gotten pregnant, and was now living with us, while posting naked pics to 'hot longhair' sites and trying to sleep with any has been '80's rocker she could. She had dug through my yarn stash without asking, pulled out some yarn, and basically demanded a baby blanket. (I had planned to make the baby a blanket anyways, but I hadn't gotten the yarn yet, and it was supposed to be a surprise, not a request.) I finished the post asking something like, "so, what's a simple, fast baby blanked to make for someone's bastard offspring?"... and got a bunch of mommybloggers whining about "every baby is precious, how can you call a baby a bastard?" and got reported. The mod response was "well, you might need to work on your family dynamics, and that's something we can't help you with."

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Wandering Knitter posted:

"Your shop is PERFECT!!!"

God bless Regretsy. Perspective on your handiwork is always good. I know a lot of what I make is total crap (which is why I do not sell it!!), but some of these people... clueless doesn't even begin to describe it. No one wants to buy your first attempt at a doily and no one wants to buy your ~~*faerie inspired*~~ bottle with glitter and puffballs in it, so gently caress off with you.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Amykinz posted:

"so, what's a simple, fast baby blanked to make for someone's bastard offspring?"... and got a bunch of mommybloggers whining about "every baby is precious, how can you call a baby a bastard?" and got reported. The mod response was "well, you might need to work on your family dynamics, and that's something we can't help you with."

Obviously some people don't know the definition of the word bastard. :colbert:

Ozma posted:

No one wants to buy your "Twilight Inspired" sparkly soap in shape of a vagina, so gently caress off with you.

Fixed that for you :v:

If you ever want to see how sad etsy can get go to the chatrooms and look for the ones labeled "Five Minute Sales" or something along those lines. It's pretty much a lottery for lovely sellers.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
SQUIIIIID UPDAAAAAAATE

The knitting is complete. The tentacles were a bit of a killer (you know second sock syndrome? Try fifth tentacle syndrome) and the end of the longer feeder tentacles is a bit of a wrestle, but they turn out really beautifully. My tentacles are all a unique and interesting length, due to my poor spacial awareness and inability to define an inch in my head.

I think I found a mistake in the pattern though :ohdear:. With the feeder tentacles, it says to decrease until you get 11sts and then KFB into every stitch so you have 24sts and then k1 KFB so you get 36sts. If you do it with 11sts, you get 22, not 24, so I missed that last decrease, leaving me with 12sts to increase into.

Anyway, I'm having so problems visualising how to attach it all together, can I get a photo of the bottom from underneath?

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

hollaback grandma posted:

^^This is loving badass and worth every minute put into it. I wish I had friends like you :unsmith:.......:smith:

Awww, thanks. Aww.

madlilnerd posted:

Holy crap, how many stitches across is that thing?!

When you mentioned a blanket, I thought you meant for a sprog, not a double bed.

128 stitches. I honestly didn't think it was gonna come out that big, but I'm glad it did!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I've agreed to teach of friend of mine to knit since he saw me making a sock and expressed interest (I knew we would be good friends when he asked about the fiber content of my hat and then rather than nodding politely and backing away, actually asked about the merits of alpaca vs. wool). He's meeting me at my store tomorrow so we can pick up some yarn and needles and since it's our Stitch 'n Bitch Friday nights we may stick around for that. Any tips on effective teaching? I know he's specifically interested in socks but right now I'm aiming for a garter stitch scarf.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
When I teach people to knit I take a long time teaching them how to cast on, since most people find that the hardest part.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Pull a "Ghost" :P

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
wandering: what kind of cast on do you use to teach? I learned the wrap cast on years and years ago, and I was introduced to the "long tail cast on" a couple of years ago and fell in love. Its so strong and stable and neat. I actually taught someone how to do it tonight at my knitting club and he liked it a lot more than the wrap cast on he had been using. (terminology found at http://knitting.about.com/od/castingon/tp/cast_on_methods.htm )

After looking at that site I might start looking into trying some of the other cast ons, especially the one that is supposedly good for socks, 'cause I might use it for a set of mittens I'm going to knit once my Malabrigo and Cascade 220 wool order comes from yarn.com

BTW I'm on the ravelry as well and I joined the knitting group
profile: http://www.ravelry.com/people/Media

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I used the long-tail caston to teach my friend.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Wandering Knitter posted:

When I teach people to knit I take a long time teaching them how to cast on, since most people find that the hardest part.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, and how it might be easier if I cast on for him for the first project and come back to cast on later. Because other wise it's like "here's a complicated thing that you do with yarn. Ok got it? Alright now let's learn an entirely new thing that you will do for so long you will forget about the first one". If I get him comfortable with the knit stitch I can at least teach him knitted and cable cast on afterwards.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
When I taught my flatmate to knit I cast on and did a few rows to show her how to do it. When my mum taught me it was a knitted cast on she used, so when teaching others that's what I use too! It's similar to knitting so once they can do the stitches it's easier!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
In other news, what the gently caress is this pattern? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/free-ufo-pattern

What the hell ravelry?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Shnooks posted:

In other news, what the gently caress is this pattern? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/free-ufo-pattern

What the hell ravelry?

What the holy hell are you supposed to DO with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
If you click the link in the pattern, it looks like the whole point of the pattern is to find a use for those awful plastic bootleg slinkies people love to put in goodie bags.