Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Sucks you crashed Tsaven. Chicago Cycle is having a buy one piece of gear, get the 2nd 50% off sale, which might actually be cheaper than buying stuff online depending on what you get. I know they're a squid shop but that's not a bad deal.

Also, you are dumb, supposed to be in the 40s this weekend, you should have waited :D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Oakey posted:

Also, you are dumb, supposed to be in the 40s this weekend, you should have waited :D.

a booty call waits for no man

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Glad you're OK.

I tend to think you're hardcore rather than a tard but I'm also not very smart so your girlfriend could be right.

At least you didn't break your weiner in the crash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Scrapez posted:

I tend to think you're hardcore rather than a tard

Sometimes the 2 go hand in hand ;)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
More pictures:

Left arm and shoulder of the suit took most of the actual damage. Along with a cat, who insisted on helping

Shoulder stiching came apart, unfortunetly. I can probably get it sewn back together, as the fabric itself seems to be in fine shape.

On to the bike, the right hard bag took most of the slide.

It's hard to see, but it is actually ground through. I could just epoxy it to preserve the weathertightness, but I might take it to a shop and see about getting it welded.

Even though it must have slid on the right crash bar as well, there's very little damage to it. There were already some minor scuffs on it from the PO dropping it a couple times in a parking lot, so really this is minor. Maybe this is the part of the bike that was resting on my leg during the slide

It did tweak the bars a good deal out of alignment though. I don't think I could easily bend them back into shape, so maybe I'll replace them once I stop being poor.

Box mounts got tweeked too. These I'm more confident I can bend back into shape.

blugu64 posted:

Ugh, sucks about the bike. Can those suits be reused after a crash?

I think so, as long as I get the shoulder stitched back together.

Doctor Zero posted:

Glad you're okay. And if you GF really wrote that, then she's a keeper.

Jabs posted:

If her response was within 12 miles of actually being this - she may just be a keeper. Because she's right, and she seems to appreciate that about you. =)

Yeah she's a special one alright. When I told her I had to go tell the internet about my crash, she was like "OMG Mine! I get to tell it my way first!". I decided it was so funny I had to post it :) I keep trying to get her to get an account here, but she's cheap and poor like I am.

Z3n posted:

I'm glad you're making the choice to pick up some real boots. Leather work boots will stop abrasion nicely, but aren't going to provide any ankle protection at all.

Yeah boots have been on my list of "first things to buy once I have a job again" for a long time, I've had some other sketchy incidents that put my ankles in peril. Nothing of this magnitude though. I'm poking around the Flea Market at ADV, hoping to find something good there.

Raven457 posted:

Does Nolan offer any sort of service where you can mail them the helmet and they test it to see if it's still safe to use? Maybe you could pick up a cheapie HJC or something while the Nolan is being mailed back and forth.

I'm not sure, I'll look into it. I do already have a $60 HJC that the main girlfriend, as well as the other girls use when going for rides, and it fits me okay so I can use it if I have to. I don't think there's a more effective first-date-pickup-line then "Hey, wanna go for a motorcycle ride?"

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 20, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

Sometimes the 2 go hand in hand ;)

tardcore.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Yeah boots have been on my list of "first things to buy once I have a job again" for a long time, I've had some other sketchy incidents that put my ankles in peril. Nothing of this magnitude though. I'm poking around the Flea Market at ADV, hoping to find something good there.

What size do you wear? I've got a set of Euro 45 A* SMX Pluses sitting in the garage doing nothing. If you'll wear them/they'll fit, I'll send them to you with the understanding that when the day comes and you can buy yourself some real gear, you'll pass them on to the next rider in need, or ship them back to me.

That offer extends to anyone who will use them that doesn't have proper boots, although Tsaven has dibs. They're beat up, abused, but they're better than nothing.

You probably have wispy elf feet though :(

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 21, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

tardcore.

This shall be my new custom title when I feel like giving Lowtax some more money.

Z3n posted:

Want some boots?

gently caress yeah I can wear those. I usually wear a 46/11.5, but if you've used them they're probably already broken in and I should be able to make 'em work.

tsaven hat gmail

When the time comes, I'll either pay you for 'em, send 'em back, or send 'em on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

This shall be my new custom title when I feel like giving Lowtax some more money.

gently caress yeah I can wear those. I usually wear a 46/11.5, but if you've used them they're probably already broken in and I should be able to make 'em work.

tsaven hat gmail

When the time comes, I'll either pay you for 'em, send 'em back, or send 'em on.

Sent you an e-mail.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Oh man its never good seeing 20 new replys to this thread. Still its awesome everyone is ok, and your girl has a good sense of humour about it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tsaven Nava posted:

More pictures:

Left arm and shoulder of the suit took most of the actual damage. Along with a cat, who insisted on helping

Shoulder stiching came apart, unfortunetly. I can probably get it sewn back together, as the fabric itself seems to be in fine shape.

I'm glad to see the suit held up to this slide. I'll be picking one up next week to replace my old, eversized, leaky two piece textiles.

Teus
Dec 25, 2009
opened the throttle as I entered the street home, gotta love to let people hear you're home. Approaching a small bend I think I braked in time, but my wheels locked and my eyes were caught on the bend. It was raining and the puddles had some oil floating on them
I fell when I reached for the front brake and/or tried to turn in, cant remember. should have released the brakes and turned in, what a beginner mistake :(

right fairing badly damaged. im driving a honda VFR from 1994, and I just spent 950 on large maintenance, valve adjustment and some broken spark plug thread
Engine should be OK but the front wheel doesnt move easily, the brake is slightly engaged. pushed it home with the neighbours... right now the front wheel is still stuck, any pointers on what could be wrong?

I fell at 40kmh so nothing is broken, but still my ribs/arms/legs hurt as gently caress

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you open the brake bleeder, does it move again? Is the rotor visibly bent?

Teus
Dec 25, 2009
brake rotor isnt visibly bent, the resistance of the brake is consistent when the wheel is moved. I can only test brake bleeding in the weekend, I will do so but I will have to buy brake fluid first.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
No pics but...

Was testriding the non-street legal 1982 DT 180 we've just bought for some offroad fun on some streets near my house... Did a left turn and pulled on the throttle just a bit to heavy and maybe too soon for offroad tires when lifting the bike. The goddamn two stroke decided to go WHAM! and the back wheel spilled out. I didn't even had a chance of reaction, it happened way too fast. One second i was up the next i was skidding on the ground. Thankfully those drat bikes are built like loving tanks, all it broke was the clutch lever, and it was still useable... I didn't get hurt besides a sore palm and a little, very soft rash on my arm...

Learned my lesson: Respect two strokes... When those things get in the powerband, they're loving powerful, even as a 30 years old 200cc beaten to death engine...

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:
At least this wasn't on the road...

Totaled. Bent forks, dented exhaust, dinged rear wheel, broken left clip-on, nose and tail sections mulched like a pre-schooler with some papier mache. But the engine still runs!

Bonus cracked in half triple clamp:

It had been a pretty wet week leading up to the trackday, so the track (Taupo) was pretty green. It was the fourth session of the day, so the surface had warmed up a little, but still wasn't ideal.
I think I lost the front just past the apex of T9. There's a rough patch in the tarmac, and combined with a minuscule elevation change and the phase of the moon, the end result was me tumbling rear end over elbows into the gravel. No idea how fast I was going, but probably around 85mph. I was hoping that my ATC2k camera would be able to tell me more, but it got hit hard enough in the crash to develop amnesia. I got knocked the gently caress out too, but I was up and awake before the recovery crew got there.

My cheap Teknic two piece held up well, but I wouldn't trust it a second time. The Shoei X-Spirit was amazing; I hit my head hard enough to raise a bruise above my right eyebrow, but there was no lasting damage. Gaerne boots and Qmoto gloves are fine.

Edit :qq: :qq: Goodnight sweet prince :qq: :qq:

Bird-o-matic fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 15, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wow, that is a lot of carnage. Such a beautiful R6 too. Glad you came out alright, sorry about the bike.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
I think I have those exact same boots - did they take hit? They look unmarked, would like to know how they perform in a crash.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

tzam posted:

I think I have those exact same boots - did they take hit? They look unmarked, would like to know how they perform in a crash.

In three years I've crashed twice in those boots, but they've never taken the brunt of it. All the same, in my opinion they're excellent boots.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Eh, you're alright, that's the most important thing. Bikes are fixable/replaceable.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sucks about the bike dude. That track looks like a blast though. How long is that main straight.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Sucks about the bike dude. That track looks like a blast though. How long is that main straight.

I think the back straight is a little over 1km, with some really lovely tarmac in that final chicane. Excellent place to scare yourself silly with late braking.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Only took him two weeks, but my brother finally crashed...while trying to do wheelies. Yeah, he's been riding motorcycles for less than two weeks and he's trying do wheelies because he's super pro. His words, not mine.

Anyways he got about 1-2 feet off the ground with his front tire before panicking and dropping the front end a little too fast. That made him jerk forward and accidentally gas it again and he lost control and crashed. I wasn't there to see this but his friend told me what happened and showed me a picture of him right as he crashed as I was picking his bike up with the trailer.

The bike suffered some basic damage-broken windshield, snapped off handlebar, scrapes along the fairings, crank case is scratched up but not leaking, broken clutch lever and one of the fairing screws snapped off.

As for my brother, he's at the doctor right now getting checked out because he either sprained or broke his left foot. He's an idiot not only for trying to stunt his bike, but because he did it with no gear. He was wearing skate shoes, jeans, a helmet and a leather jacket. The jacket is scratched up decently on his left side, but it came up a tiny bit while he slid and his left ribs are scratched up. His pants have several holes in them and his legs are cut, his foot like I said got demolished because of no riding boots and his hands are cut because he didn't have gloves on.

He's is honestly one of the cockiest riders I know who honestly shouldn't be on a bike and hopefully now he'll plan on taking the MSF with me. I know I sound like an rear end in a top hat for being happy about him crashing, but this really is a good thing. It wasn't as serious a crash as it could of been and now maybe he'll learn from this and stop trying to be so badass and ride smarter.

Oh and before anyone asks, yes I tried to teach him how to ride but apparently I'm too pussy to ride with him anymore because I don't weave in and out of busy traffic while doing 80+ and hit the streets at night with him. Seriously :sigh:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That sucks. Not for your brother, he deserves it. I feel for you though. Does he have good life insurance? Are you on it?

Do what you can to steer him right. Hope it turns out for the best (your brothers idiocy).

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Spiffness posted:

That sucks. Not for your brother, he deserves it. I feel for you though. Does he have good life insurance? Are you on it?

Do what you can to steer him right. Hope it turns out for the best (your brothers idiocy).

He's got some insurance through safeway so his doctor visit should be covered. I'm not on his insurance plan.

Believe me I have tried so much. The first week I rode with him all he did was fly by me and drive as fast as he could. I would purposely drive slower and not try and keep up with him as to not egg him on. It's not so much me not teaching him right, as it is his friend not being the best influence. My brother's a 21 year old big boy though so I'm going to let him make his own mistakes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

This basically sums it up. Glad he's mostly ok, hopefully he'll learn a lesson.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Whiteboy posted:

Only took him two weeks, but my brother finally crashed...while trying to do wheelies. Yeah, he's been riding motorcycles for less than two weeks and he's trying do wheelies because he's super pro. His words, not mine.

Anyways he got about 1-2 feet off the ground with his front tire before panicking and dropping the front end a little too fast. That made him jerk forward and accidentally gas it again and he lost control and crashed. I wasn't there to see this but his friend told me what happened and showed me a picture of him right as he crashed as I was picking his bike up with the trailer.

The bike suffered some basic damage-broken windshield, snapped off handlebar, scrapes along the fairings, crank case is scratched up but not leaking, broken clutch lever and one of the fairing screws snapped off.

As for my brother, he's at the doctor right now getting checked out because he either sprained or broke his left foot. He's an idiot not only for trying to stunt his bike, but because he did it with no gear. He was wearing skate shoes, jeans, a helmet and a leather jacket. The jacket is scratched up decently on his left side, but it came up a tiny bit while he slid and his left ribs are scratched up. His pants have several holes in them and his legs are cut, his foot like I said got demolished because of no riding boots and his hands are cut because he didn't have gloves on.

He's is honestly one of the cockiest riders I know who honestly shouldn't be on a bike and hopefully now he'll plan on taking the MSF with me. I know I sound like an rear end in a top hat for being happy about him crashing, but this really is a good thing. It wasn't as serious a crash as it could of been and now maybe he'll learn from this and stop trying to be so badass and ride smarter.

Oh and before anyone asks, yes I tried to teach him how to ride but apparently I'm too pussy to ride with him anymore because I don't weave in and out of busy traffic while doing 80+ and hit the streets at night with him. Seriously :sigh:

Your brother is a 2 wheeled body bag right now. You gotta sabotage his bike so it doesn't start or something.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Phew, I honestly thought everyone was going to rag on me for my post since I sounded like an rear end in a top hat. I'm going to edit in some more pictures in about 10 minutes.

MetalClawWolf posted:

Some people just have to burn their hand on the oven to learn.

I hope he doesn't come out maimed or crippled, but he sounds like a guy who wont learn any other way.

I think he just twisted his ankle is all. The weird thing was the rash on his foot was on the inside of his ankle, so he must of twisted it to scrape it that way. Still haven't heard from them yet but I'll update it when I do.

Click here for the full 1023x769 image.

Click here for the full 1023x769 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1202 image.

Whiteboy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 20, 2010

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

Some people just have to burn their hand on the oven to learn.

I hope he doesn't come out maimed or crippled, but he sounds like a guy who wont learn any other way.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
No wonder a used R6 goes for so much! theres so few around in decent shape these days :haw: Hopefully your bro is ok.

Why do people hate gear so much? I feel pretty naked if i'm not wearing all of my stuff.

Was the R6 his first bike? Personally I don't think it's incredibly crazy to start with if hes a responsible rider (apparently not). Should have at least taken the MSF before doing anything on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whiteboy posted:

Phew, I honestly thought everyone was going to rag on me for my post since I sounded like an rear end in a top hat. I'm going to edit in some more pictures in about 10 minutes.

Nah, anyone who's ridden for a decent amount of time has been through what you've been through...it sucks, especially because there's nothing to do but offer sympathy.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Background on him: He's 21, this is his first bike, he's been riding less than two weeks. Previous experience? ATV's only. He literally cannot ride a dirt bike to save his life. Last time I took him riding with me he cried because he has no balance and kept falling.

Update: He's broken his foot in two places and is now in a cast. Such a loving idiot.

I'm painting my bike's rear seat cowl+gas tank right now :D

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.
I crashed for the first time today. I was cruisin' around my CB350 for the second time since buying it, gunned it a little too hard into a deadend and slammed the front brakes as I was leaning into someone's too-short driveway. I was going 20-25 mph, scuffed up my elbow and knee pretty bad, road rash almost the diameter of a soda can in both places. My side got pretty banged up too, and my hand is still bleeding slightly.

All in all it wasn't that bad, wasn't as painful as I thought, and I only messed up the turn signal plastic and the headlight casing. I'll probably take a couple weeks off before I ride again.

Yeticopter fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 21, 2010

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
lowside I take it?

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Yeticopter posted:

I crashed for the first time today. I was cruisin' around my CB350 for the second time since buying it, gunned it a little too hard into a deadend and slammed the brakes as I was leaning into someone's too-short driveway. I was going 20-25 mph, scuffed up my elbow and knee pretty bad, road rash almost the diameter of a soda can in both places. My side got pretty banged up too, and my hand is still bleeding slightly.

All in all it wasn't that bad, wasn't as painful as I thought, and I only messed up the turn signal plastic and the headlight casing. I'll probably take a couple weeks off before I ride again.

No gear I take it?

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

schreibs posted:

No gear I take it?

Yeah if I had a jacket and kneepads I'd probably be scratch free.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Too many people crashing street bikes in this thread, when I crash I like to eat dirt instead.

In September I picked up an ATK in unknown non running condition. I brought it to a friend who happened to be an ATK guru and after a day or two of setting it up correctly and it was running beyond expectations (2 kick cold starts, perfect idle, explosive powerband). I bring it home and have to put it through its paces, feel out the ride, and make sure it was ready to race next year. I take it across a few fields, in a matter of seconds, take it up and down an empty street and eventually jump the railroad tracks and visit a friend. We go to the road and I want to find my top speed and he hit somewhere close to 65-70 before I felt it was fast enough, he grabs his atv and I start chasing him around. We lined up to race and I gave him a 100 ft head start and really launched the bike for the first time, it was really a constant battle for traction and keeping the front end down and very quickly I caught up to him.

For those of you that don't know about early 90s ATK motorcycles for the rear brake they used a very interesting setup to minimize the effects using the rear brake has on handling, however when warped or with bad pads it doesn't work for poo poo. Leaving me with the front brake, I was still getting used to and hadn't finished setting up the bike and neglected to notice the front disk had a slight warp to it that would cause it to lock easily under heavy braking. Combine this with getting close to topping out 6th gear across a plowed farm field and I'm going down.

I've taken dirt bikes down plenty of times before, on dirt, mud, rocks, hills, hills with rocks. So in a split second I realize it could be a tree I'm crashing into and could be worse, the forks locked right, and I start taking it down on the low side. The bike is beginning to skid sideways at this point and its at about a 60* angle to the ground, at least I'm not highsiding right! Right before I have it almost all the way down the tires dig in and in a split second the bike launches over and me and it leave the ground, normally this is intentional and I return to earth with the bike below me and in control. This time I want to leave the bike to avoid cushioning the bikes fall, the fastest I probably ever moved in my life I pushed myself as far away from the bike as I could before landing.

I remember hitting the top of my head, looking up and seeing ground, looking down I saw sky, my legs, and a flying motorcycle. Shortly after that I began kind of a bouncing roll as I started tucking in and finally was able to ride it out as a long bumpy skid. Then there was the issue of the hunk of American/Austrian metal flying at me, the bike flipped and bounced itself too and ended up in a skid on its side with the still under power and spinning rear wheel resting on my leg. Speaking of my leg, why the gently caress wont it move? In a blur I kill the bike, somehow stand it and myself up and walk it over to a tree to lean it against. Then I fell to the ground in agony, at this point my friend starts describing how I totally just ate poo poo and then asked why I was laying on the ground screaming.

In a feat of adrenaline fueled strength I manage to get it started again and get it into 2nd for the ride home, my left leg is absolutely crippled and I have to get home with it hanging off the side and shift with my hand. I carry the bike across the railroad tracks with my vision almost blacking out every time I lifted the bike. I put it in the garage and watched my knee swell up to the size of a softball as the pain rushed in. At least I got home alright.

Dont be stupid kids, keep the rubber side down.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I'm sitting here with a case of gravel rash and a left ankle that won't support my weight (I haven't had a chance to go to a hospital yet and make sure it's only a sprained/twisted) because I hit a patch of gravel while stopping and ended up with my brand new Honda VTR250 (it had done maybe 500km - 300 miles) land on top of my foot. Stupid me didn't bother with my slightly ill-fitting jacket (its a bit long in the arms because of the weight I've been trying to lose) or my boots because I was only going to the shops a few backstreets away.

As far as I can tell the only damage to the bike was cosmetic - a bit of damage to the gear lever, it not wanting to go into first gear (I'm fairly sure this is just related to the gear lever problem) and a few minor scratches on the chrome. Is there anything else I should be looking at before attempting to ride it again? Apart from making sure to at least wear my boots and jacket I mean - having this bike fall on me hurt a hell of a lot more than my old CT-110 did when I stacked it.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

SpeedFreek posted:

Too many people crashing street bikes in this thread, when I crash I like to eat dirt instead.

Well, any sort of down on the street counts as a 'crash' if I was so liberal with what I considered a crash in the dirt, I'd be posting here almost every weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Tornhelm posted:

I'm sitting here with a case of gravel rash and a left ankle that won't support my weight (I haven't had a chance to go to a hospital yet and make sure it's only a sprained/twisted) because I hit a patch of gravel while stopping and ended up with my brand new Honda VTR250 (it had done maybe 500km - 300 miles) land on top of my foot.

RICE RICE baby. If you still can't walk tomorrow, get an X-ray.

• Locked thread