Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Koo Koo Ka-Chaw Koo Koo Ka-Chaw
I've got something coming up in a few weeks that I'll be using Live with. I've been playing a lot more with the audio effects racks and have made a few filtery/overdrive things. The only problem is they can get ear splittingly loud at times, what's the best way to go about keeping my highs safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramatik
May 29, 2006

EMUpirate posted:

I've got something coming up in a few weeks that I'll be using Live with. I've been playing a lot more with the audio effects racks and have made a few filtery/overdrive things. The only problem is they can get ear splittingly loud at times, what's the best way to go about keeping my highs safe?

Couldn't you just use a limiter?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

RivensBitch posted:

My wife and I really like this, have any more?
I have much more, although not any as straight up progressive as this. I can produce this kind of stuff at will, though. That track was a day's work for me.

I like your lights. I live in LA, want to collaborate on some kind of performance?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Just for info ... this is probably not surprising, but run through speakers which can provide bass, the bass drum(s?) drown out everything else.

It's actually surprising to me since I don't know very much about this stuff. Will better headphones help?

Gramatik
May 29, 2006

baw posted:

It's actually surprising to me since I don't know very much about this stuff. Will better headphones help?

Don't mix with headphones. If you do, listen to your mix on multiple sound sources to gauge your levels. It's best to invest in a pair of studio monitors.

Gramatik fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 14, 2010

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Koo Koo Ka-Chaw Koo Koo Ka-Chaw

chillhouse posted:

Couldn't you just use a limiter?

The time I did I didn't like the sound of it. My brains are actually working now and I think I know how to fix it.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

chillhouse posted:

It's best to invest in a pair of studio monitors.
Speaking of which, what are some recommendations on monitor speakers, if I primarily do music as a hobby (i.e. a cheap but decent solution :D )?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

EMUpirate posted:

The time I did I didn't like the sound of it. My brains are actually working now and I think I know how to fix it.

You could always just make the knob that turns up the overdrive turn down the volume at the same time.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
APC40 on sale at Guitar Center for 299, Lauchpads for 159 :)

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

melee beats posted:

Launchpad is 199 on the website...

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

They can't advertise below MAP on the web, so it's undoubtedly an in-store, non-advertised sale price. They do it hoping that word of mouth will spread.

melee beats posted:

I bought my launchpad from RobotSpeak in SF for $200, and consider it money well spent. I'd much rather support a hole in the wall in the haight where I can actually hear myself think as I'm evaluating the gear I want to buy, and seeing as how a large chain store like Guitar Center buys them at $140 while Robotspeak has to buy them at $155, I'm much happier to see my $45 keeping a cool store open rather than shooting $15 to a chain store so that they can open yet another house of musical horrors.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I love robotspeak :)

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

$150 is a great price. I already have an APC40 + Max for live, and I wouldn't mind having another grid based midi-controller for step sequencing. I can't be bothered for $199, however.

Gramatik
May 29, 2006

FLX posted:

Speaking of which, what are some recommendations on monitor speakers, if I primarily do music as a hobby (i.e. a cheap but decent solution :D )?
It really depends on your budget. However, I usually recommend KRKs to everyone that asks me. I love my Rokit 8s.

melee beats posted:

Woot I think it's time for me to spring for a launchpad. I wish my tax refund would hurry up and come in so I can grab both. Thanks for the heads up.

Gramatik fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 14, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

chillhouse posted:

It really depends on your budget. However, I usually recommend KRKs to everyone that asks me. I love my Rokit 8s.
I just had a look and I couldn't find Rokit 8s, but two "KRK RP5 ROKIT G2" speakers for about € 300, which would be in my budget. I wouldn't need a separate subwoofer with those, right?

EDIT: I did just find a pair of Rokit 8 for €500. How big is the difference between those and the Rokit 5? And a pair of Rokit 6 is €400 ... choices :(

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 14, 2010

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

FLX posted:

I just had a look and I couldn't find Rokit 8s, but two "KRK RP5 ROKIT G2" speakers for about € 300, which would be in my budget. I wouldn't need a separate subwoofer with those, right?

EDIT: I did just find a pair of Rokit 8 for €500. How big is the difference between those and the Rokit 5? And a pair of Rokit 6 is €400 ... choices :(

I ended up getting RP8s because I didn't want to have to spring for a sub as well. Although in many ways having RP5s or 6s with a sub is probably better... if nothing else, the RP8s are very large.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

growlerpig posted:

just curious are you using a reamp box between your laptop and amp?
No, I'm not, I've just got a limiter on the master in Live to prevent it from blowing up. It seems to have been working okay this far, what does a reamp box do?

growlerpig
Jun 17, 2009

a little man and a house

Finnebass posted:

No, I'm not, I've just got a limiter on the master in Live to prevent it from blowing up. It seems to have been working okay this far, what does a reamp box do?

Well as the name suggests, the common usage for a reamp box is to adapt a recorded DI signal for input into an amp - basically allowing you to record raw guitar lines and then put them through any amp you have.

it's basically the inverse of a DI box, which is meant to adapt the signal from the guitar to the computer. a reamp box I've seen good reviews about and have had my EYE on for some time is the little labs redeye, which works as both a DI and a reamp box.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
New track!

<3 Ableton. Best DAW evar.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Anyone looking to sell their APC40?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Is there a way to force a monophonic buss/submix track in Live?

For example I have a play-along CD that came with a music book, it has the bassline hard panned to the left channel and the rest of the accompaniment hard panned to the right. I want to listen to just the accompaniment (right channel), but I would like it centered in the stereo field. In most other DAWs I could just route the track to a monophonic submix, but in Live I can't figure out a way to create a monophonic audio track unless it is monitoring a monophonic hardware input as its source.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Could try panning it to the right and routing it to an audio track with the utility device with stereo width set to 0?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

This may be what stun runner just said, but in lives audio effects there's a utility folder and in there is a plugin that selects which stereo tracks you want to monitor, and I beleive one of the options is both in mono.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

stun runner posted:

Could try panning it to the right and routing it to an audio track with the utility device with stereo width set to 0?

That did the trick exactly, thanks!

It looks like the Utility device can also reverse phase of either channel, which is also handy.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
8] cool. Utility's a neat little thing, especially the stereo width function

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
It's also how you should be automating your level changes if you're pro status. That way you don't have to mess with the automation for your track levels and gently caress up your mixing. ; )

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I really, *really* hate how Ableton handles it's automation in arrangement view. Why is the automation tied to the clip? If I have multiple takes, that means I have to either copy/paste the automation to each of the alternates, or send the audio to a monitoring channel and put the automation there. Either way, it's a PITA.

Also I should be able to turn record automation off, so that I can adjust levels while tracking without then having to go back and delete the automation that was recorded.

Automating levels in the utility plugin is a great tip, I just wish Ableton had something similar to Cubase's relative automation features where you can still use the faders after you've automated levels on a track.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

stun runner posted:

8] cool. Utility's a neat little thing, especially the stereo width function

God drat, I feel like an idiot. I've been looking for a stereo width plugin for the longest time and never realized it was sitting right there. Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna be using Utility a ton now

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

RivensBitch posted:

I really, *really* hate how Ableton handles it's automation in arrangement view. Why is the automation tied to the clip? If I have multiple takes, that means I have to either copy/paste the automation to each of the alternates, or send the audio to a monitoring channel and put the automation there. Either way, it's a PITA.

Also I should be able to turn record automation off, so that I can adjust levels while tracking without then having to go back and delete the automation that was recorded.

Automating levels in the utility plugin is a great tip, I just wish Ableton had something similar to Cubase's relative automation features where you can still use the faders after you've automated levels on a track.

Yeah I have grown very frustrated with the way that Ableton handles automation as well. I really have no idea why I can't automate MIDI CC data outside of a clip.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

prom candy posted:

I have a question about MIDI mapping. I set up my Axiom 49 with the default midi maps, which set my sliders to control the volume on tracks 1-8 and the buttons underneath the sliders to mute them or unmute them. I'd rather have those buttons set up to arm the track for recording.

I created a new file, made 8 tracks, mapped each button to the respective arm button, and set it as my default template but it doesn't really work the way I want it to. If I delete a track or change the order it stops making sense. Does anyone know how I can set them to arm/unarm tracks 1-8, not the specific tracks that I click on?

Thanks!

So is this impossible, or so retarded easy that I'm a dumbass for not being able to find the answer on my own?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
My mpd32 does what you want (bank A 1-8 sliders automap to tracks 1-8 and the buttons below arm the tracks) and I know that ableton supports a bunch of devices. Make sure your specific model is chosen in your settings.

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

I'm the best you will ever have.

prom candy posted:

So is this impossible, or so retarded easy that I'm a dumbass for not being able to find the answer on my own?
According to the help view section on the Axiom, the ninth slider button makes it switch between those buttons muting tracks and arming tracks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So it was the latter then eh? Thanks :)

Nofehr
Sep 14, 2004
The Return of Noinche!
So this might have been asked already, but searching through 26 pages for this simple question won't be fun.

My friend and I are wanting to make some music, basically a digital mashup/remixing project for a local art gallery to play in the background, and we were considering using Ableton Live since it seems to be the most open out of the DAWs. However he has a PC and I am on a Mac, so is it easy to transfer projects from PC to Mac on Ableton or should we consider another DAW?

thanks

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Nofehr posted:

So this might have been asked already, but searching through 26 pages for this simple question won't be fun.

My friend and I are wanting to make some music, basically a digital mashup/remixing project for a local art gallery to play in the background, and we were considering using Ableton Live since it seems to be the most open out of the DAWs. However he has a PC and I am on a Mac, so is it easy to transfer projects from PC to Mac on Ableton or should we consider another DAW?

thanks

Yes, projects are cross-compatible between PC and Mac.

The Ableton FAQ adds:

"If you are transferring from a Mac to a PC, use the "Save Set Self-Contained" format. Please be sure to save the files with the ".als" extension. And be sure you are using the same version of Live."

baw
Nov 5, 2008

spent my day off playing with Ableton

still mixing with Skullcandies because I'm in Iraq and don't have the room for studio monitors

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

baw posted:

still mixing with Skullcandies because I'm in Iraq and don't have the room for studio monitors

Wow, it really shows. Everything is almost inaudible except for the kick :v:

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

baw posted:

spent my day off playing with Ableton

Sounds like it might be cool but yeah, I can barely hear most of it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

goddamn it

So would a better pair of headphones help or I should I wait until I can get a set of studio monitors? I'm willing to spend up to $300 on a descent set of headphones because I figure I'll need them eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

baw posted:

goddamn it

So would a better pair of headphones help or I should I wait until I can get a set of studio monitors? I'm willing to spend up to $300 on a descent set of headphones because I figure I'll need them eventually.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368907-REG/Etymotic_Research_ER4S_ER_4S_Noise_Attenuating_Portable_Stereo.html

I've mixed with these for 5 years and I absolutely adore them. I have a feeling some dude is going to quote this post with DONT MIX ON HEADPHONE S GET KRKS