Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellyness
Jan 16, 2010

frogg posted:

Return Fire? My brother and I used to rent this all the time. It was mentioned a few pages ago but I'm not 100% sure it's what you're looking for. It came out in the mid '90s and features Ride of the Valkyrie although it may or may not fit your turn based strategy criteria, I can't remember.

That's it! Oh man, I always lost so bad to my brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Wondermoose posted:

If i recall correctly you picked up blue orbs that were fuel, but what made the game awesome was that your car had a gun on it and you blew the gently caress out of other cars, and I think they dropped fuel sometimes.

RoadBlasters is close. The fuel orbs were green rather than blue, but other than that, it seems to be what you're looking for.

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool
Can't remember the name of it, but the game I'm thinking of was an Olympic-type game for the NES (or possibly SNES, but I doubt it) that, throughout the events you'd compete in, would have you set the pace for your country's runner in a long-distance race that took place while you competed in the rest of the events (swimming, etc). After every few events or so, you'd see the progress in the long-distance race and get to set your runner's pace once again.

Any idea what this game was called?

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
I've got a really old game in mind. I've gone through this "forgotten what it is and found out" thing before, last time by ringing my brother! (He's the one that used to play it... I watched a lot) So I'm hoping you guys can help:

It's a battle simulator, and the campaign starts you off taking back areas from the evil orcs (you are the good guys), and eventually moving on the the un-dead. Your big boss towards the end of the game is a necromancer.
You start each level by placing your divisions (cavalry, archers, magicians etc) within a certain area of the playing field. Once the battle begins, you can move each party using the mouse (apart from the canons, iirc) and direct them to fight to oncoming enemy divisions. There is a tool panel in the bottom right hand corner, and from there you can select spells and things for your various divisions to cast etc. You can also select to become the leader of each division and see the battle field from a first person point of view.
Having looked this game up before, I know it's old enough to need a VM to run on windows XP
The leader of your army (ie, you the player) is a white Caucasian male, with black hair, kind of to ear length. His picture would pop up at the bottom of the screen (I think on the left) whenever he said something to the troops. This box would also contain the picture of whichever enemy was taunting you when they spoke to you as well.
You had command of fire power, and I *think* lightening bolts later on in the game.

I hope you guys can help me, or if not, I'll have to give my brother a ring again! Although I'd rather not, as I'd feel silly for forgetting since last time I rang him!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Definitely sounds like Warhammer: Dark Omen

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Definitely sounds like Warhammer: Dark Omen

I *knew* it began with an O.
Thank you so so so much!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
There was a game I played back in the late 90's, downloaded it from AOL.

From what I remember, you were a fighter pilot, and there were aliens invading Earth. It might have been shareware, I remember 3 missions, one of which took place at White Sands Test Range. And one of the missions has a runway in the sky. Anti-air batteries were called "Ack Ack". Also, you could set it so it started straight from the computer boot up.

Any help would be appreciated, this one's been bugging me for a while.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Auk14HP posted:

Can't remember the name of it, but the game I'm thinking of was an Olympic-type game for the NES (or possibly SNES, but I doubt it) that, throughout the events you'd compete in, would have you set the pace for your country's runner in a long-distance race that took place while you competed in the rest of the events (swimming, etc). After every few events or so, you'd see the progress in the long-distance race and get to set your runner's pace once again.

Any idea what this game was called?

I haven't played them in years so I'm not sure but could they have been one of the Track & Field games for NES?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

There was a game I played back in the late 90's, downloaded it from AOL.

From what I remember, you were a fighter pilot, and there were aliens invading Earth. It might have been shareware, I remember 3 missions, one of which took place at White Sands Test Range. And one of the missions has a runway in the sky. Anti-air batteries were called "Ack Ack". Also, you could set it so it started straight from the computer boot up.

Any help would be appreciated, this one's been bugging me for a while.

Corncob 3d

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

sfwarlock posted:

Corncob 3d

Yes, that's it! Thanks so much.

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool

Social Animal posted:

I haven't played them in years so I'm not sure but could they have been one of the Track & Field games for NES?

Naw, unfortunately not. This one definetly had the long-distance race (or it could have been a long-distance relay race) that happened in between events. I remember another one of the events was a swimming event where, depending on how fast you made your swimmer go, their little heart gauge (stamina I guess) would deplete. If it went empty, they'd sink down into the pool for a couple of seconds until they regained it and you could go again.

I'm really not sure if this was NES or SNES. The NES catalogue looks so limited I think it may have been SNES, but I don't remember the graphics being that impressive.

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009

Erasmus Darwin posted:

RoadBlasters is close. The fuel orbs were green rather than blue, but other than that, it seems to be what you're looking for.

OH sweet, that is definitely it!

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent
There was a game I used to play in school on the Apple II, I think, where you were the leader of a party that got trapped in the arctic. It was, at heart, a survival game - you selected which face of the hill you'd build your cabin on, and you had to ensure it would sustain you through the winter by gathering moss and firewood. After securing shelter, you had to provision yourself by fishing or clubbing seals - I remember the seal clubbing minigame very vividly - it's a lot like whack-a-mole except the seal only appears once and there are three holes.

There was a finite amount of actions allowed, I think, and when it was up there was a little blurb about how you and your men get really bored inside the cabin and play cards a bunch, and there would be these gauges that represented your stores (the different foods/firewoods/etc) that would decrease as your provisions were depleted.

I have been hankering to play this game for so long, not only to club seals but also to see what I liked so much about it when I was a kid.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The roadblasters question reminded me - 90s arcade game, some sort of police chase scenario. When you were within range of an enemy or target car, the dude riding shotgun would lean out of the side window and fire a handgun at the car to disable it. I don't recall if you controlled the firing or not. It's not Lucky and Wild or Chase HQ.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Mid-90s, futuristic sports game. I believe it had the word "Hyper" in the title. Sort of like hockey, but the arena was like a bowl, so you could skate/glide on the walls and poo poo. I remember playing a demo of the game off of a grocery store computer magazine demo CD. Wish I could remember it and get a hold of it, seems like it would still be fun.

vvvv wooot thanks

meatpath fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 15, 2010

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

68k posted:

Mid-90s, futuristic sports game. I believe it had the word "Hyper" in the title. Sort of like hockey, but the arena was like a bowl, so you could skate/glide on the walls and poo poo. I remember playing a demo of the game off of a grocery store computer magazine demo CD. Wish I could remember it and get a hold of it, seems like it would still be fun.

Hyperblade sounds like it.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

moller posted:

The roadblasters question reminded me - 90s arcade game, some sort of police chase scenario. When you were within range of an enemy or target car, the dude riding shotgun would lean out of the side window and fire a handgun at the car to disable it. I don't recall if you controlled the firing or not. It's not Lucky and Wild or Chase HQ.

Chase HQ 2?

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X
There's a game I played on PC in the mid 90s on my uncle's computer, before I had a PC of my own. There was this flight combat game where, after you died, you'd hear a voice, with a static picture in the background, saying "Today, we mourn the loss of one of our great comrades." or something like that. I know that the parts in bold were definitely spoken.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
PSX. First-person space combat game. I remember controlling fighters, and not capital ships, and I think the physics were more on the realistic side, though I could be wrong on that account.

I know there were two sequels. I remember it rocking rear end.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 16, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

PSX. First-person space combat game. I remember controlling fighters, and not capital ships, and I think the physics were more on the realistic side, though I could be wrong on that account.

I know there were two sequels. I remember it rocking rear end.

Colony Wars, son.

JimProfitAnon
Feb 16, 2010
Does anyone remember the name of a Windows game... my older brother had it with Duke Nukem, it was some sort of racing game.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

JimProfitAnon posted:

Does anyone remember the name of a Windows game... my older brother had it with Duke Nukem, it was some sort of racing game.

I want to say Big Red Racing even though you gave no description.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

JimProfitAnon posted:

Death Rally has Duke Nukem as a character in it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

JimProfitAnon posted:

Yeah, as Septimus said, it was Death Rally. Duke Nukem's car was called "The Deliverator", so he was like a double easter egg.

Plinth posted:

Chase HQ 2?

Thanks, you rock. The arcade game seems to have dropped the "Chase HQ2" bit though, the signage just said Special Criminal Investigation.

moller fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 16, 2010

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

al-azad posted:

Colony Wars, son.

Thanks man, that's totally it.

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009
In the mid or late 90's there was an arcade game that I used to play. It was a two player game where one person drove and the other person shot a hand gun. It was fun as hell. I think the name of it was the name of the two characters you played as, with an 'and' in between them.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Years ago (In the 90s) I came across a shareware game. It was a platformer, run and gun sort of thing, and you played an alien who had, as far as I can remember a head vaguely resembling a Predator's. I remember the long, snake-like hair, and the mask over his face, at least.

I always thought it was called "Raptor", but I found out that was a SHMUP, so perhaps the name has "Raptor" in it, or is similar to "Raptor"?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Centipeed posted:

Years ago (In the 90s) I came across a shareware game. It was a platformer, run and gun sort of thing, and you played an alien who had, as far as I can remember a head vaguely resembling a Predator's. I remember the long, snake-like hair, and the mask over his face, at least.

I always thought it was called "Raptor", but I found out that was a SHMUP, so perhaps the name has "Raptor" in it, or is similar to "Raptor"?

Probably Abuse.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Wondermoose posted:

In the mid or late 90's there was an arcade game that I used to play. It was a two player game where one person drove and the other person shot a hand gun. It was fun as hell. I think the name of it was the name of the two characters you played as, with an 'and' in between them.

Lucky & Wild is this game!

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005

Wondermoose posted:

Lucky and Wild?

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8462

e:f,b. At least I have a link.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Probably Abuse.

Definitely not Abuse. There was no mouse control, it was much more old-school, and it had a generally green palette.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Got another one. It was a free pc tactical rpg (may have been just straight tac strategy) that came in a client. Iirc you started off as a soldier fighting rebels then switched. I think it was fantasy oriented, at least it was medieval. I may have heard about it on from SA.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Centipeed posted:

Definitely not Abuse. There was no mouse control, it was much more old-school, and it had a generally green palette.

Rad Warrior? Also had another similar name in Europe.... something-with-an-R Warrior....

edit: Actually it is Antiriad in Europe... and it is probably NOT what you are looking for... I remember him looking more predator like as a kid...

Hal Incandenza fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 23, 2010

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Hal Incandenza posted:

Rad Warrior? Also had another similar name in Europe.... something-with-an-R Warrior....

edit: Actually it is Antiriad in Europe... and it is probably NOT what you are looking for... I remember him looking more predator like as a kid...

It looked much newer than this. Tyrian era graphics.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Centipeed posted:

It looked much newer than this. Tyrian era graphics.

Obliterator!

Maybe?

edit: Christ, that is older looking than I thought too.... drat I know I know this....

Hal Incandenza fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 23, 2010

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009

Rudger posted:

Lucky & Wild is this game!

Yep that's it! This game and flaming hot cheetos is my entire middle school expirence.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Hal Incandenza posted:

Obliterator!

Maybe?

edit: Christ, that is older looking than I thought too.... drat I know I know this....

Nope, not this either.

Edit: Holy crap, I think it might be Alien Rampage.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/alien-rampage

Seems to fit the bill. (Especially since the game was originally called Ravager (Similar to Raptor) and then renamed to Alien Rampage when it was sold to another company. The shareware copy I played was probably called Ravager.)

ahobday fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 24, 2010

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Nintendo DS game. Everyone and everything had like a page of properties, represented by a 3x3 grid and you could swap them around. Like throw "weak" on an enemy, etc.

Cross012
Jun 10, 2009

by mons all madden

projecthalaxy posted:

Nintendo DS game. Everyone and everything had like a page of properties, represented by a 3x3 grid and you could swap them around. Like throw "weak" on an enemy, etc.

Avalon Code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Cross012 posted:

Avalon Code?

Fast and Accurate! Thanks.

• Locked thread