Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

Citizen Rat posted:

Okay, if you were going to create a cd that was sort of a musical education of hip-hop through the past 30 or so years, what would you include? I'm trying to do this for my father and then I discovered that my own education in this genre is just completely lacking. help?

Well if you want to go from early stuff, you'll need some Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, N.W.A. etc and including some good modern stuff like Aesop Rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Hennergy posted:

Well if you want to go from early stuff, you'll need some Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, N.W.A. etc and including some good modern stuff like Aesop Rock

♪ ♫ one of these things is not like the other ♫ ♪

All good, but Nas/NWA/Tribe: "early stuff"? Some albums that haven't got a mention, but are canon:

Rakim - Paid In Full
EPMD - Strictly Business
Eric B & Rakim - Follow the Leader
BDP - Criminal Minded (yeah, someone already said KRS but his solo stuff is still eehhhh compared to BDP)
Run DMC - S/T

There's also the ton of other way-early guys the don't diverge into queen city only 12s: Treacherous 3, Whodini, Doug Fresh, DJ Red Alert, Kurtis Blow, MC Shan, Marley Marl, etc.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Actually, I take that back. Rap may have been around long enough that a lot of people collapse the early period together. Do I call Sex Packets "old school" now?

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
So the other day a song came up on my iPod's shuffle that I never listened to because I wrote the album off when I heard the first half of it due to the band being terrible. Except for this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os6eK-aZT1M

which I really only like for the sexy verses, the bridge gets a little lame.

So recommend me sexy songs that sound good the whole way through.

EDIT: WTF totally wrong link

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

JehovahsWetness posted:

♪ ♫ one of these things is not like the other ♫ ♪

All good, but Nas/NWA/Tribe: "early stuff"? Some albums that haven't got a mention, but are canon:

Rakim - Paid In Full
EPMD - Strictly Business
Eric B & Rakim - Follow the Leader
BDP - Criminal Minded (yeah, someone already said KRS but his solo stuff is still eehhhh compared to BDP)
Run DMC - S/T

There's also the ton of other way-early guys the don't diverge into queen city only 12s: Treacherous 3, Whodini, Doug Fresh, DJ Red Alert, Kurtis Blow, MC Shan, Marley Marl, etc.

Yeah, my error. I guess you could probably call Public Enemy 'early' in this age. It was more in comparison to stuff like Aesop Rock or whatever

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I know a lot of what I would consider 'newer' stuff and I guess some mid-aged rap (though, god, don't tell them that) but really early work is kinda a blur for me.

I'm mostly looking for specific songs. The songs that made the entire genre do an about shift or are really emblematic. I know what I like (oh lol) but I'm not good on the history of the genre and what is considered to be the really big important songs. So mostly I've been throwing in what I really love but that's not the same as giving him a good grounding of what the genre has done, where its been, and where its going.

What I've got is (alphabetic right now, probably go back and do it by release date):

Aesop Rock, Ayatollah, BDP, Cut Chemist, Fugees, Jedi Mind Tricks, Lauryn Hill, Mos Def (lots of Mos Def), Nas, Rakim, Talib Kweli, Tribe Called Quest, The Roots

This list probably says more about my own taste (I like clever & political/social critique) than it does about anything about the genre.

Edit: Also thinking about throwing in some french stuff given that I currently have this raging crush on Keny Arkana

Citizen Rat fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 14, 2010

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I have been asleep at the wheel for a while but Ive been inspired by Luvstep. This may may be a retarded general question but what have been some of the best (preferably free) hiphop/breaks/dub mixtapes released in the last yearish.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Citizen Rat posted:

Yeah, I know a lot of what I would consider 'newer' stuff and I guess some mid-aged rap (though, god, don't tell them that) but really early work is kinda a blur for me.

I'm mostly looking for specific songs. The songs that made the entire genre do an about shift or are really emblematic. I know what I like (oh lol) but I'm not good on the history of the genre and what is considered to be the really big important songs. So mostly I've been throwing in what I really love but that's not the same as giving him a good grounding of what the genre has done, where its been, and where its going.

What I've got is (alphabetic right now, probably go back and do it by release date):

Aesop Rock, Ayatollah, BDP, Cut Chemist, Fugees, Jedi Mind Tricks, Lauryn Hill, Mos Def (lots of Mos Def), Nas, Rakim, Talib Kweli, Tribe Called Quest, The Roots

This list probably says more about my own taste (I like clever & political/social critique) than it does about anything about the genre.

Edit: Also thinking about throwing in some french stuff given that I currently have this raging crush on Keny Arkana
Smart Political rappers I'd add are Nas, Gangstarr, Sabac and early NWA (if you are just looking for one each then One Mic, Just to get a rep, The Scientist and Express yourself) there is also a english artist called The Streets that might fit the bill, especially a song called "The Irony of it All".
If you are looking for non-english speaking performers then Peter Fox and Fettes Brot are two pretty good German acts.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 14, 2010

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I've been getting into 80's hardcore a lot recently, what are some good contemporary hardcore acts? I only really know Gallows (urgh) and hosed Up from the past 5 years.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Thanks for the post-hardcore recommendations guys, most of them are pretty good.

Now I'm going to ask for something completely different. I've never been big into pop or club type music. I'm looking for recommendations of club remixes of popular songs. I've been listening to United States of Pop 2009, and am loving the hell out of it. But that's really as far as my experience goes with that type of music.

I've also been trying to get into some rap. Again, I really don't have any experience with the genre. But I love Hypnotize by Biggie Smalls if that's any help.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

I've been getting into 80's hardcore a lot recently, what are some good contemporary hardcore acts? I only really know Gallows (urgh) and hosed Up from the past 5 years.

Brutal Knights (toronto based comedy-hardcore)
Career Suicide (also from toronto, 80s style hxc)
DSB (crazy japanese hardcore)

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

about 3ish years ago there was a huge explosion of 80's revivalist bands. Try:
Government Warning
School Jerks
Life Trap
Cloak/Dagger
Social Circkle
Double Negative
Chronic Seizure

As for just good hardcore bands, seconding Muy Picante and adding:
Vicious Cycle (bouncy, jangle-y hardcore sounds vaguely like Hidden World era hosed Up)
Regulations (sounds a lot like Brutal Knights imho)
Sinking Ships (super melodic hardcore)
Ceremony (there are some haters, but Violence Violence rules imho)
Failures (noisy super fast hardcore, almost on the verge of black metal and grind)
SQRM (Flipper had sex with Black Flag and pooped out the angriest child I've ever heard)

Tell me what you like and I can give you some more recs. BTW, I think Sinking Ships is the only band on this list not playing shows anymore.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
So after Since I Been Loving You (Zep) and Red House (Hendrix) came on back to back earlier today I've been in the mood for some classic, rolling blues-rock tracks. Who might I look at to find whole albums of that style of slow long-play blues? I'm already pretty familiar with bands like Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, John Mayall, etc. Perhaps a bit more 'under-the-radar' types?

e: I also like Yardbirds if that helps :)

Electromax fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 15, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Funyon posted:

Thanks for the post-hardcore recommendations guys, most of them are pretty good.

Now I'm going to ask for something completely different. I've never been big into pop or club type music. I'm looking for recommendations of club remixes of popular songs. I've been listening to United States of Pop 2009, and am loving the hell out of it. But that's really as far as my experience goes with that type of music.

I've also been trying to get into some rap. Again, I really don't have any experience with the genre. But I love Hypnotize by Biggie Smalls if that's any help.

Check these out, I guarantee if you went out to a 'dance nite' at a typical club in the US you'd hear a couple if not all of these tracks:
Ke$ha - Tik Tok (Fred Falke Club Remix)
Lady Gaga - Bad Romance (Chew Fu remix)
David Guetta feat. Akon - Sexy Bitch (Chuckie remix)
Black Eyed Peas - Meet Me Halfway (Richard Vission remix)
Shakira feat Kid Cudi - Did It Again (Benny Benassi remix)
Rihanna - Russian Roulette (Tony Moran & Warren Rigg Club Remix)
David Guetta feat Estelle - One Love (Avicii remix)
Cheryl Cole feat Will.i.am - 3 Words (Steve Angello remix)

As for rap, see if you like Tupac, Snoop Dogg, Nas, Dr. Dre and KRS-One.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 15, 2010

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Electromax posted:

So after Since I Been Loving You (Zep) and Red House (Hendrix) came on back to back earlier today I've been in the mood for some classic, rolling blues-rock tracks. Who might I look at to find whole albums of that style of slow long-play blues? I'm already pretty familiar with bands like Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, John Mayall, etc. Perhaps a bit more 'under-the-radar' types?

Blue Cheer and Sir Lord Baltimore are two semi-under the radar hard blues rock bands from that era that rock hard. Both of them are usually tossed into the "proto-metal" classification along with Zep, Cream, and Hendrix.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I've fallen hard for prog/alt rock the past few years, but I fear I've run out of bands. Thus far I have greatly enjoyed most everything by The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Karmakanic, Pink Floyd, and In the Court of the Crimson King, but not much of King Crimson's other work. I haven't been able to find another band I could get into for months. Any suggestions?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Full Circle posted:

I've fallen hard for prog/alt rock the past few years, but I fear I've run out of bands. Thus far I have greatly enjoyed most everything by The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Karmakanic, Pink Floyd, and In the Court of the Crimson King, but not much of King Crimson's other work. I haven't been able to find another band I could get into for months. Any suggestions?

Check out Yes, Hawkwind, Gentle Giant and Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

etard knievel posted:

Check out Yes, Hawkwind, Gentle Giant and Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm just not a fan of the majority of those older artists, Pink Floyd and King Crimson being the outstanding exceptions. I just can't seem to get over the dated synth noises they use, as superficial as that may be. I'm largely looking for more modern work.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Muy Picante rear end posted:

Brutal Knights (toronto based comedy-hardcore)
Career Suicide (also from toronto, 80s style hxc)
DSB (crazy japanese hardcore)

baberaham lincoln posted:

about 3ish years ago there was a huge explosion of 80's revivalist bands. Try:
Government Warning
School Jerks
Life Trap
Cloak/Dagger
Social Circkle
Double Negative
Chronic Seizure

As for just good hardcore bands, seconding Muy Picante and adding:
Vicious Cycle (bouncy, jangle-y hardcore sounds vaguely like Hidden World era hosed Up)
Regulations (sounds a lot like Brutal Knights imho)
Sinking Ships (super melodic hardcore)
Ceremony (there are some haters, but Violence Violence rules imho)
Failures (noisy super fast hardcore, almost on the verge of black metal and grind)
SQRM (Flipper had sex with Black Flag and pooped out the angriest child I've ever heard)

Tell me what you like and I can give you some more recs. BTW, I think Sinking Ships is the only band on this list not playing shows anymore.

These are both great, exactly what I'm looking for. Been slogging through that list all afternoon, favorites so far are probably Government Warning, Career Suicide and Sinking Ships. Got anything a bit...sludgier? I've been on a Bad Brains kick, so more heavy stuff like that would be awesome.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
For one reason or another, Brain Killer's demo sounds to me like a bit of Bad Brains worship. Honestly, it's pretty hard to find modern bands who sound a lot like Bad Brains (I'm thinking ROIR Sessions here). That's kind of what makes BB's so special. I'm sure someone else will be able to answer this question better than me, but I've got nothing at the moment.

EDIT:
Confine's demo was one of my favorite releases of 2009, it reminds me of a more raw/sludgy Career Suicide. Also, it's a free DL from the band! http://www.side-two.com/downloads.html

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 15, 2010

growlerpig
Jun 17, 2009

a little man and a house

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

More importantly though these Cardiacs are really cool. Thanks for alerting me to the existence of a great band I never would have heard otherwise.

Yep when it comes to music Cardiacs is pretty much all you need :smug:

while we're on the subject though, also check out William D Drake and Tim Smith's solo stuff and related projects!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Electromax posted:

Zeppelin Hendrix

Blue Cheer and Sir Lord Baltimore are two semi-under the radar hard blues rock bands from that era that rock hard. Both of them are usually tossed into the "proto-metal" classification along with Zep, Cream, and Hendrix.

Blue Cheer's first album Vincebus Eruptum and the compilation Good Times are so Hard to Find are good starter albums and you can get Sir Lord Baltimore's first two albums on one disc. There are more bands like these in this thread. Some might be more psychedelic or heavier than what you're looking for but you might like them.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

For one reason or another, Brain Killer's demo sounds to me like a bit of Bad Brains worship. Honestly, it's pretty hard to find modern bands who sound a lot like Bad Brains (I'm thinking ROIR Sessions here). That's kind of what makes BB's so special. I'm sure someone else will be able to answer this question better than me, but I've got nothing at the moment.

EDIT:
Confine's demo was one of my favorite releases of 2009, it reminds me of a more raw/sludgy Career Suicide. Also, it's a free DL from the band! http://www.side-two.com/downloads.html

Eh, no biggie, there's already plenty of material there to keep me busy for a while. And that Confine demo is probably the best so far so yeah, Thanks!

evale
Dec 20, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/disco

Last.fm with videos I guess.

And I'll leave this here for everyone to enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e53-FEGtzlw

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

mezzir posted:

While you've mentioned Mark Ronson, Versions by him was loving fantastic, twas all covers of pop songs, and most that I can remember had fantastic horn riffs (never checked but given his previous work I always assumed it was with The Dap-Kings as well). And again on this trail, check out Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. Listening to them its really really disorienting to realize that they're a current band.

While I'm posting, been REALLY digging Chromeo lately, anyone got any similar stuff they know of?

Here you are my friend: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3231048. This is actually a Chromeo thread we had a while back. It mentions a few artists that sound like them.

The only artists I didn't see that you might want to try is Tommy Sparks or the Scissor Sisters.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Way Past Cool! posted:

Blue Cheer's first album Vincebus Eruptum and the compilation Good Times are so Hard to Find are good starter albums and you can get Sir Lord Baltimore's first two albums on one disc. There are more bands like these in this thread. Some might be more psychedelic or heavier than what you're looking for but you might like them.

Thanks guys. Sir Lord Baltimore has sounded like a good start so far!

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

Electromax posted:

Check out King Hobo and Kamchatka. The latter is a little heavier than the two artists you mentioned, but King Hobo I think is one of the best blues-rock band to come out over the past few years even if they were formed mostly for jokey fun.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

Full Circle posted:

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm just not a fan of the majority of those older artists, Pink Floyd and King Crimson being the outstanding exceptions. I just can't seem to get over the dated synth noises they use, as superficial as that may be. I'm largely looking for more modern work.

Try "Jaga Jazzist - One armed bandit". Draws inspiration from the likes of Zappa, King Crimson and Phillip Glass. One of my favorite records in 2010.

Also, I would recommend that you got into the Zeuhl genre, within prog, for loads of new and interesting things. Magma, Samla Mammas Manna and Univers Zero are good starters.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Full Circle posted:

Ever heard of math rock? It's like Prog Rock's more experimental cousin. Try out Tera Melos and Hella. Hella's drummer (Zach Hill) has actually collaborated with The Mars Volta before.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I'm really liking Jaga Jazzist so far, thanks for the suggestions!

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm looking for any type of African/Latin/Middle Eastern music that is heavily displaced from Western Music. Basically, anything that would sound neat to someone who isn't familiar with it. It would help if the music gave a sense of immersion in the culture, if that makes any sense.

These are pretty well-known examples but: Fela Kuti, Buena Vista Social Club, etc

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm looking for any type of African/Latin/Middle Eastern music that is heavily displaced from Western Music. Basically, anything that would sound neat to someone who isn't familiar with it. It would help if the music gave a sense of immersion in the culture, if that makes any sense.

These are pretty well-known examples but: Fela Kuti, Buena Vista Social Club, etc
I wouldn't call Fela heavily displaced from Western music given the James Brown influence, but there are numerous compilations on B-Music or Sublime Frequencies such as Shadow Music of Thailand and Sound of Wonder, perhaps Roots of Chicha on Barbes records too, that while influenced by Western music, still sound very unique but aren't as inaccessible as, say, Koto music.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Farts Domino posted:

I wouldn't call Fela heavily displaced from Western music given the James Brown influence, but there are numerous compilations on B-Music or Sublime Frequencies such as Shadow Music of Thailand and Sound of Wonder, perhaps Roots of Chicha on Barbes records too, that while influenced by Western music, still sound very unique but aren't as inaccessible as, say, Koto music.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!
I knew that Fela and all that wasn't too displaced, but it's about as exotic as my music gets in terms of geography. Checking out the Thailand and Chicha now.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

It's great that you want to learn more about music outside of continental North America and Western Europe but you seem misguided. It's as if you're saying "hey internet, I want a grab bag of the most exotic musical souvenirs you have," which is a shallow, touristy way to approach it. And like Farts Domino said, your examples aren't really heavily displaced from western music anyway.

Anyway I posted this two pages ago when someone asked for a Buena Vista Social Club rec.

Way Past Cool! posted:

Afro-Cuban All Stars, Tito Puente, Orquesta Riverside, Eddie Palmieri, Mongo Santamaria. In broad terms you're looking for Cuban/Afro-Cuban music but in particular you might want to look for the genres son and salsa.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Way Past Cool! posted:

It's great that you want to learn more about music outside of continental North America and Western Europe but you seem misguided. It's as if you're saying "hey internet, I want a grab bag of the most exotic musical souvenirs you have," which is a shallow, touristy way to approach it.

With something as wide as "non-Western music" I have really no way of asking other than in a touristy manner. I suppose it is similar to a foreigner asking for some "Western Music", which, in a sense, boils down an entire culture's music into one term, and I'm not meaning to do that. How would you suggest I narrow down what I'm looking for, and how can I not seem touristy about it?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Aside from social connotations of exotification, whichever way gets you to a certain point sounds good and with more understanding of the music the reasons for appreciation will solidify. It's not like OrganicRobot's seeking out African music and really meaning the Lion King soundtrack (as has happened here before). I don't think there's really much wrong for seeking out totally different sounds or even wanting to musically explore the world, and the question is asked in a pretty "I'll take whatever you got" sorta way.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Farts Domino posted:

I don't think there's really much wrong for seeking out totally different sounds or even wanting to musically explore the world, and the question is asked in a pretty "I'll take whatever you got" sorta way.

Like I said, I don't fault him for wanting to learn about non-western music, it's the way he asked about it that struck me as tourism. He did name specific artists which was good, and could be addressed within the scope of this thread.

OrganicRobot posted:

How would you suggest I narrow down what I'm looking for, and how can I not seem touristy about it?

Well it was an incredibly broad request and you seemed to lump unrelated things together. Maybe you could try asking for resources (online, print, etc.) that give a general overview of various musical styles throughout the world. Read through that and find specific artists or genres that interests you and then come back for recommendations (like you already did with Fela and BVSC). That way you can focus your search and better know what you actually want. Admittedly I don't know of a good resource for this myself, but other posters might.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

A lot of world music purists would scoff at this but maybe it would help to pick up some sort of Putumayo compilation or other broad-ranged album that has information about which countries / cultures the songs come from, and then ask for recs along those certain lines? Just that asking basically for reccomendations for 'non-white music' is almost as broad a 'genre' as asking for 'music with singing in it'.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Lately I've really been digging The Flaming Lips, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Shpongle, Yndi Halda, chill bands that are more poignant (well at least for me anyway) that I can listen to with other people and while tripping. This is strange because my true nature is in grindcore and death metal, so this concept of relaxed music is very foreign to me. I especially love the song Do You Realize?? By the lips, this is one of the coolest songs I have ever heard! If anyone has any recommendations for music similar to these bands (any of them, I realize the list I provided is somewhat erratic) it would be much appreciated. The rcommendation thread has never failed me you guys know what the gently caress is up haha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
For stuff like Black Moth:
Tobacco - hosed Up Friends (Tobacco is a member of BMSR and thus sounds like BMSR)
Flying Lotus - Los Angels
Toro Y Moi - Causers of This
Lotus Plaza - The floodlight collective
Truman Peyote - Light-Lightning (sounds more like Animal Collective, but I think you might enjoy it, the song Fishscraps owns)
MillionYoung - Sunndreamm EP

I could probably do better than this, but this is all that's coming to mind. I'll let you know if I can find more BMSR-ish stuff.

EDIT:
holy poo poo how could I forget Octopus Project. Get the Octopus Project/BMSR split and go from there, most of their stuff is good. Also, The Books - Lemon of Pink. Super super super trippy album.

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 19, 2010