Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Where did you go to get the stuff appraised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

I am sure this has been touched on before so I apologize that I couldn't find it. I just got a new computer and want to transfer my lightroom catalog over. What's the best way to do this?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

slearch posted:

I am sure this has been touched on before so I apologize that I couldn't find it. I just got a new computer and want to transfer my lightroom catalog over. What's the best way to do this?

export to catalog, including DNG's.

afaik, that's the best way.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

slearch posted:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/blog/2009/02/28/how-do-i-move-lightroom-to-a-new-computer/

http://digital-photography-school.com/moving-a-lightroom-catalog

Do not worry. LR is spectacularly easy-going when it comes to moving stuff around.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

The only thing ive had a problem with has been getting a freshly imported catalog to conform to my rules, ie I want the photos organised in a certain way and moved to a certain folder, but a catalog import just keeps them where they are.

Ration
Dec 3, 2005

My mile could not pump the plumb
Would it be possible to get a centralized reference for quality books? Perhaps added to the FAQ? I understand that there are links and what not of stuff to read online, and that is great, but I would like to have some books to reference when I'm not on the computer.

The only ones that I have found thus far are "Digital photography..... grab yourself a 2 mp camera and let's get this point and shoot working for you!!!" and it's quite annoying. I've found a few throughout all of the threads in this forum, but I think a centralized point of reference would be beneficial to all of us new guys.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ration posted:

Would it be possible to get a centralized reference for quality books? Perhaps added to the FAQ? I understand that there are links and what not of stuff to read online, and that is great, but I would like to have some books to reference when I'm not on the computer.

The only ones that I have found thus far are "Digital photography..... grab yourself a 2 mp camera and let's get this point and shoot working for you!!!" and it's quite annoying. I've found a few throughout all of the threads in this forum, but I think a centralized point of reference would be beneficial to all of us new guys.

A great overall starter is Understanding Exposure, Bryan Peterson knows his poo poo really well, but can come across as a little dickish at times. It's still a very good read. Tom Ang's How to Photograph Absolutely Anything was fantastic for me when I started out as well. Both give a lot of good little rules of thumb to keep in mind (shooting f/8 to f/11 to grab just about anything, when to use fill flash, shooting motion with slow shutter & panning, etc).

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Where did you go to get the stuff appraised?

I haven't gotten that far yet.

Ration posted:

I started a short review thread but only one other goon posted before it died

Factory Ten
Feb 8, 2010
'DON"T WORRY BRO, I'LL BE YOUR CREEPY INTERNET DETECTIVE WHITE KNIGHT WHEN YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT!!!! CALL 1800 WHITE DICK AND I'LL TRACK DOWN OLD PHOTOS OF PEOPLE WHO WERE MEAN TO YOU TODAY!!!!

Ration posted:

I thought there was a thread devoted to photography books at some point in the past....

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Looking for a couple choices for online prints, 16x20. Mpix and...what else?

Ration
Dec 3, 2005

My mile could not pump the plumb

Factory Ten posted:

I thought there was a thread devoted to photography books at some point in the past....

I searched every forum and nothing came up. If you happen to find it, I'd be in debt to you.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

jackpot posted:

I like adoramapix, they always do a good job.

I finally got myself a twitter, what's some good (preferably funny or interesting) photo people or companies to follow?

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

jackpot posted:

http://www.shutterbugphotomall.com/

This place is just a 30 minute drive from me despite being a national lab, so I use them for the majority of my prints since I can just walk in. Every print from them has turned out perfect, they're just not the cheapest place around.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I use Raw and a Canon 400D and have been wondering for a while now about which things actually have a permanent affect on the Raw file and which don't.

The main one I'm wondering about is the + and - exposure function.

A lot of the modes seem to allow you to set + or - exposure etc as you take the photo, to compensate for the light metering, but my understanding of it would be that although this is recorded in the Raw image, it can be adjusted in the same way later. Which would mean that it doesn't matter if you change it or not at the time of the photo (other than adding to your work load later).

If this is true does this mean that rather than using the AEB function for things like HDR, I could just take one RAW at the time and then adjust the exposure compensation later to produce the 3 different images? This obviously would have the advantage of eliminating the possibility of objects moving between each shot.

Also am I correct in saying that the Colour Space (adobe RGB/SRGB) can be adjusted later too or if you take a photo with the adobe colour space are you stuck with that?

Obviously I understand that the more you get right at the time of taking the photo, the less you have to adjust later, but I'd rather be focusing on things like my aperture, ISO and exposure length than worrying about things that can be altered after the fact.

If anyone can clarify this for me that'd be much appreciated.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

EvilRic posted:

If anyone can clarify this for me that'd be much appreciated.

Raw allows you to change white balance after the fact. Exposure can be tweaked, but only by so much before it starts looking like crap and if the photo is wildly over or underexposed, there will be details lost that you'll never get back.

Program like Photomatix will allow you to make an HDR out of one raw file, basically an automatic version of what you're describing. There's still no substitute for the much more vast range of information that will be available from bracketed exposures though.

Colour space only affects JPG images and (I think) the sidecar JPG embedded in raw files. Think of a raw file as the camera equivalent of a memory dump.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
A RAW file only contains so much information, if you want to blend exposures it's better to have multiple files to work from.

RAW files do not have a color space until they are viewed or converted (ie. Lightroom uses ProPhoto RGB internally, and when you save it converts to Adobe or sRGB).

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

HPL posted:

Useful advice.

brad industry posted:

More useful advice.

Thanks. I am glad about the colour space, as i have mine set to Adobe on the camera but had no idea if that was a good idea or not. Nice to know it will be changable in all my pictures i've taken so far.

I had another play with the exposure adjustment and the AEB just now and i see what you're both saying. It does seem to adjust the aperture or exposure time automatically when i alter the exposure compensation. I thought it might just use a software adjustment of the resulting image, so i definitely understand the advantage of using the AEB function now.

Thanks again.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Edit: Moved to medium format and film thread because you guys probably don't care.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 18, 2010

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ration posted:

I searched every forum and nothing came up. If you happen to find it, I'd be in debt to you.

It looks like it fell off. If there is enough interest I'll give it another try. I know a lot of us read a lot of books and I think it'd be an asset for the forum. I was hoping the last thread would turn out something like this one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1667350

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Added DJExile's book recommendations to the OP. Anyone else?

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

Quick question about crop factor on Digital SLRs.

Lenses like 200mm and above can be hard to keep still however if you put a 200mm EF lens on a 400D which has a crop factor of 1.6x it will behave like a 320mm lens, but does this mean from the point of view of camera shake it will be as hard to keep steady as a 320mm or only as the original 200mm?

Hope that makes sense.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

EvilRic posted:

Quick question about crop factor on Digital SLRs.

Lenses like 200mm and above can be hard to keep still however if you put a 200mm EF lens on a 400D which has a crop factor of 1.6x it will behave like a 320mm lens, but does this mean from the point of view of camera shake it will be as hard to keep steady as a 320mm or only as the original 200mm?

Hope that makes sense.

Shake is as 320mm

So, you want a minimum shutter speed of 1/320 to avoid shake (ignoring IS and Parkinsons)

(And this is the reason why I dislike crop bodies as I don't know my 1.6 times table)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just use 1.5x? :confused:

Something to keep in mind is that a beginner might not be able to actually keep 1/(effective focal length) stable, so having a bit of a buffer can help when your start.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

spog posted:

Shake is as 320mm

So, you want a minimum shutter speed of 1/320 to avoid shake (ignoring IS and Parkinsons)

(And this is the reason why I dislike crop bodies as I don't know my 1.6 times table)

Ah i thought so. Was hoping it might be a sneaky way round camera shake.

evil_bunnY posted:

DSLR cameras have a crop/zoom factor based on the size of the sensor, so it's fixed at 1.6x for most Canon bodies until you get to the full frame ones like the 5D. It basically just means if you put a 10mm lens for a full frame camera on a 1.6 body it will act like a 16mm lens.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

EvilRic posted:

DSLR cameras have a crop/zoom factor based on the size of the sensor, so it's fixed at 1.6x for most Canon bodies until you get to the full frame ones like the 5D. It basically just means if you put a 10mm lens for a full frame camera on a 1.6 body it will act like a 16mm lens.
I think he meant just use 1.5x for guessing full frame equivalent when figuring out what minimum shutter speed to use.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

spf3million posted:

I think he meant just use 1.5x for guessing full frame equivalent when figuring out what minimum shutter speed to use.

Oh sorry yes, i read it in a weird order.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Something to keep in mind is that a beginner might not be able to actually keep 1/(effective focal length) stable, so having a bit of a buffer can help when your start.

For this reason, using 2x is easy enough and gives you the buffer as well.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Its pretty easy if you break it down. Multiply it by 1.5, then multiply it by .1 (move the decimal over one) and add that to it.

50 * 1.5 = 75
50 * 0.1 = 5
75 + 5 = 80

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
...Or you could just multiply by 1.5 because it matters so little holy poo poo.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

JaundiceDave posted:

...Or you could just multiply by 1.5 because it matters so little holy poo poo.

I prefer 1.5 rather than 2.0 because, obviously, it's a lot closer to the difference.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
would it be illogical to go from 450d to a 40d? i think i want something more substantial....

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

phootnote posted:

would it be illogical to go from 450d to a 40d? i think i want something more substantial....

This is perfectly logical!

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

phootnote posted:

Ignore the megapixel count and go with the 40d. Go past eight MP or so and you're past the point of diminishing returns compared to ISO handling, AF speed, and several other forms of performance.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TheFuglyStik posted:

Ignore the megapixel count and go with the 40d. Go past eight MP or so and you're past the point of diminishing returns compared to ISO handling, AF speed, and several other forms of performance.

Wait, increased pixel density affecting AF speed? What? As far as I know, the only two things pixel density affects is noise (like you said), and the aperture at which diffraction becomes an issue.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

SoundMonkey posted:

Wait, increased pixel density affecting AF speed? What? As far as I know, the only two things pixel density affects is noise (like you said), and the aperture at which diffraction becomes an issue.

Even then I didn't know 8mp was the magic number for decreasing noise quality.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TheFuglyStik posted:

It may not matter much for a hobbyist, but if you go to sell your photos down the line later, a number of stock agencies won't accept less than 10-12 megapixels. I've never heard anything about 8MP being a magic number either?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Hi there,

I have the Nikon 18-70mm lens. I often use this with a Hoya circular polariser. In certain cases (I haven't been able to identify at what aperture or focal length this occurs) I have darkening in the corners of the image. I am pretty sure that this is due to the filter. Has anybody had a similar experience? Will using a super-thin filter (dammit, the cost!) eliminate this issue?

Thanks! Also, I don't have Photoshop, but I imagine there is a way to use it to eliminate this in post-production, as it were. Is it worth getting PS for that?

Oh! Sorry, one more: does anyone know of a good, preferably free programme for knitting several shots into a panoramic?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
The better question is why are you using the filter to begin with? If you don't have a very specific reason to use it, you probably shouldn't, as obviously it's detrimental to image quality. It would make more sense to simply not use a filter than try and undo the damage in post (assuming, again, you don't have a specific reason to use one).

This thread has had a lot of filter discussion recently: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163404&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=88

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

therattle posted:

Hi there,

I have the Nikon 18-70mm lens. I often use this with a Hoya circular polariser. In certain cases (I haven't been able to identify at what aperture or focal length this occurs) I have darkening in the corners of the image. I am pretty sure that this is due to the filter. Has anybody had a similar experience? Will using a super-thin filter (dammit, the cost!) eliminate this issue?

Thanks! Also, I don't have Photoshop, but I imagine there is a way to use it to eliminate this in post-production, as it were. Is it worth getting PS for that?

Oh! Sorry, one more: does anyone know of a good, preferably free programme for knitting several shots into a panoramic?

BobTheCow posted:

The better question is why are you using the filter to begin with? If you don't have a very specific reason to use it, you probably shouldn't, as obviously it's detrimental to image quality. It would make more sense to simply not use a filter than try and undo the damage in post (assuming, again, you don't have a specific reason to use one).

This thread has had a lot of filter discussion recently: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163404&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=88

I gotta disagree with Bob here. A circular polarizer is very useful, unlike protective filters, if used in the right circumstances. Assuming you know that, yes, low profile filters lessen vignetting. You can also address post, but that's less effective. Low profile filters are more expensive, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOFT
Apr 5, 2005
Doot!

therattle posted:

Hi there,

Thinner filters will lessen this vignetting, you're probably mostly seeing it on pictures taken at a wider focal length (like at 18mm). Lightroom (another adobe product, basically a really nice standalone PS plugin) will allow you to correct vignetting (or add it whatever) and gives you alot of decent intuitive control over your pictures, minus the hack and slash abilities of PS.

The best free program for panoramas I've found is Microsoft's ICE. Its a free experimental panorama stitcher put out but not supported by some branch of Microsoft's research wing.