Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Minidust posted:

How did Undertaker's "Ministry" heel turn come about? I remember him fighting Austin at SummerSlam '98 and it was kind of a face vs. face mutual respect thing. Next thing I remember he's strapping Austin to the giant Undertaker symbol, and turning Mabel into a zombie at the Royal Rumble. Even after that he was fighting off Vince's guys for the most part (before the Corporate Minsitry formed in classic RUSSO SWERVE fashion) so I'm just trying to figure out at what point the turn actually happened.

And after that, he was basically the heel AmishTaker until he got injured and returned as BikerTaker, right? Or did something else happen in between there that I forgot?

I believe Ministry Taker started shortly after the Buried Alive match at Rock Bottom in December. The Corporate Ministry formed on the first episode of SmackDown and he won the title at Over the Edge. He lost the belt at...King of the Ring I think and then the Ministry fell apart at Fully Loaded. I guess Amishtaker was his alliance with Big Show that went until he got hurt before Unforgiven. Not seen again until Bikertaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

To be fair, this was way more a WCW thing.
The WWF was doing that long before WCW every even existed. They just stopped for a few years when they were red hot and didn't have to. Now they're doing it again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The best thing about the piped in chants/cheers is that it gives people an excuse to dismiss the quality of wrestlers they dislike, as they can claim that "it's been piped in!" when it gets pointed out how over they are.

"Nobody cares about <X> but 3 fat smarks :colbert: His reactions are piped in on Smackdown.... sure he gets the same reaction or higher at live events like PPVs but that's only because the audience is hyped up already because it is a PPV :colbert:"

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Well I mean, knowing about piped-in chants and the "smackdown pop" etc has made me a bit more cynical about how often the guys are ACTUALLY that over with the live crowd.

Obviously if it's raw or a PPV I know it's legit but still.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Karmine posted:

Well I mean, knowing about piped-in chants and the "smackdown pop" etc has made me a bit more cynical about how often the guys are ACTUALLY that over with the live crowd.

There are ways to manipulate live crowd noise, too - You just turn the crowd mics up higher than normal.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Karmine posted:

Still, the last few Raw's could have used some piped-in chants. They've been really good(one exception) with some really good matches and the crowd sounds like it's not even paying attention 90% of the time.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Does this count: Why did Mickie James think it was a good idea to try to sing with an accent I can only describe as a mix between Gretchen Wilson and a truckstop diner waitress with a 35-year smoking habit when she doesn't actually have an accent?

I was genuinely expecting some generic Taylor-Swifty pop country.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Free Market Gravy posted:

Does this count: Why did Mickie James think it was a good idea to try to sing with an accent I can only describe as a mix between Gretchen Wilson and a truckstop diner waitress with a 35-year smoking habit when she doesn't actually have an accent?

I was genuinely expecting some generic Taylor-Swifty pop country.

She actually does have an accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so4N2iCsCK8

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

The A-Team Van posted:

Not the one she sings with, by a long shot.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The A-Team Van posted:

You know, the whole deal with her presenting herself as the confident champion against shallow and judgemental McCool will not sit as well with me knowing she does these desperate things.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fucken_Gieux posted:

You know, the whole deal with her presenting herself as the confident champion against shallow and judgemental McCool will not sit as well with me knowing she does these desperate things.

Her vagina is plastered all over the internet and this is what makes you disappointed in her?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Burrito posted:

Her vagina is plastered all over the internet and this is what makes you disappointed in her?

Fair enough, but argument stands.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Fucken_Gieux posted:

Granted, the video I linked too place years ago.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I dunno about piped in chants. You see matches on TV with really dead crowds all the time. Why would they leave those on TV as-is, if they had the option to dress them up with some noise?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Minidust posted:

I dunno about piped in chants. You see matches on TV with really dead crowds all the time. Why would they leave those on TV as-is, if they had the option to dress them up with some noise?

They also do (or did, at least) really long tapings which is why the enthusiasm of crowds for Superstars varies so much, as the matches may have taken part at different times/days at different points of REALLY long tapings with the crowd getting burned out in the process.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Minidust posted:

It's a good question, and if I had to think of an answer it would be that most of the time they're still trying to gauge fan reaction to some things, where as with others they need fan reaction to go or at least sound like it's going in a specific direction, and if it isn't they pipe in chants so it appears like it does.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
The noise can be added as part of a wrestler's entrance music and you would never know it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The best thing about the piped in chants/cheers is that it gives people an excuse to dismiss the quality of wrestlers they dislike, as they can claim that "it's been piped in!" when it gets pointed out how over they are.

"Nobody cares about <X> but 3 fat smarks :colbert: His reactions are piped in on Smackdown.... sure he gets the same reaction or higher at live events like PPVs but that's only because the audience is hyped up already because it is a PPV :colbert:"

Didn't someone post a quote like a week ago from somebody who claimed the reaction to Cena's Royal Rumble return was piped-in?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tzirean posted:

Didn't someone post a quote like a week ago from somebody who claimed the reaction to Cena's Royal Rumble return was piped-in?

and tons of people on this very forum refuted that bullshit

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

dusty udder smoker posted:

and tons of people on this very forum refuted that bullshit

Oh, yeah, it was absolutely bullshit, I just remembered it as "hey, this is a thing we just talked about."

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Did they ban the tree of woe from WWE? I just realized I haven't seen anyone use that move in forever.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

LightsGameraAction posted:

Did they ban the tree of woe from WWE? I just realized I haven't seen anyone use that move in forever.

Have you watched any ECW at all?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

Have you watched any ECW at all?

I don't get syfy :(

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Punk did it to Mysterio last week on Smackdown. Then he went for a baseball slide but Rey sat up and Punk broke his balls on the ring post.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

***This spot has been reserved for Low Ki***

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Take 6,000 back bumps a year but for God's sake don't dangle upside-down.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What happened between Randy Savage and WWE that causes him to be loathed so much by the company? I am predisposed to take the "Macho raped Stephanie" rumors with a grain of salt.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

What happened between Randy Savage and WWE that causes him to be loathed so much by the company? I am predisposed to take the "Macho raped Stephanie" rumors with a grain of salt.

The best intelligence I've ever heard on this is that Macho left on bad, or less than ideal, terms and has become something of a crazy old coot who stays away from WWE, meaning that trying to collaborate with him on anything is effectively impossible.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

crankdatbatman posted:

I am predisposed to take the "Macho raped Stephanie" rumors with a grain of salt.
As you well should. In the very unlikely event that no one bothered to press charges over such an incident, SOME bitter soul with an axe to grind would have spilled the beans by now.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

according to steamboat it was some bs over slim jim commercial royalties

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I originally read this as being over Macho raping Stephanie.

...whoa, someone likes his slim jim royalties.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

THats what i heard too. I think it was that Vince felt because Macho was a WWE employee, Vince should get some of the money from thoes commercials.

Actucaly that leads to two questions

1: Has WWE Talent being classified as Independent contractors always been the norm?

2: How long was Macho the spokesman for SlimJims?

dumb_jam
May 8, 2007

Critical posted:

The silly thing is it was part of a loving awesome multi-year feud that FMW was famous for. Check it:

Hayabusa and Mr. Gannosuke train together, are good friends, and develop a rivalry that turns amazingly hostile. After Hayabusa wins a particularly grueling and (non death)match, he tells Gannosuke to stop being a silly human being and extends his hand in friendship. Gannosuke fakes him out and puts the boots to him. That poo poo happens all the time here but people lose their minds in Japan about it because of their beliefs in honor.

They have another match and 'Busa goes over again clean with a Falcon Arrow in the middle of the ring. He is presented flowers in the victory ceremony. The person presenting said flowers, however, is in cahoots with Gannosuke and smashes the vase over 'Busa's head. They then strip him naked and drag him around the ring with a chain and a dog collar.

This is where it gets amazing.

Haybusa snaps, sheds his persona and becomes H. He loses his mask and trades in his Sabu pants for daisy duke shorts and a big loving falcon-like tattoo on his upper chest. Mr. Gannosuke then proceeds to steal H's old gimmick, becoming Hayabusa and claiming he has been the whole time. Same mask, same outfit, same ring music.

H goes loving bonkers and challenges Gannosuke to the aforementioned Anal Explosion match. The winner is determined when a bottle rocket is placed between your opponents rear end cheeks, is lit, and explodes. H loses and receives the rectal ramifications. All the propellant explodes out the back of the rocket, so while it probably didn't feel all that great, it was safe and a lot less gruesome than you're thinking.

A few weeks after this H and Gannosuke now brawl through the crowd where H goes bonkers and starts bodyslamming fans onto chairs and throwing haymakers at anyone near. Apparently getting punched by a wrestler is an honor in Japan so he didn't get his dick sued stiff. At least that's what Mick Foley says.

The blow off is a Match between H and Gannosuke with Shawn Motherfucking Michaels as the special guest referee. H wins, and after the match, Gannosuke does what he should have done in the first place and finally shakes his hand. HBK then cuts a promo about how FMW will be the #1 promotion in years to come because of the talent and sportsmanship. They were out of business a few years later and the head booker hung himself.

Going back to this, the blow off match features in Botchamania 118 - Shawn botches that last promo (and some other stuff)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

THats what i heard too. I think it was that Vince felt because Macho was a WWE employee, Vince should get some of the money from thoes commercials.

It's another part of the wonderful world of double-standards in wrestling. Macho Man was an "independent contractor", then he independently went and got himself a sponsorship deal and then independently went off and got a new contract paying more money at a different company and Vince got upset.

I don't subscribe to the idea that Vince "hates everything he didn't personally create" but I do subscribe to the idea that Vince "hates being reminded that some people can succeed on their own" and was infuriated that Macho Man would be so "ungrateful" as to use his success in WWF to garner money for himself.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Yeah I was never a big Sting fan but poo poo like that makes me really love the fact that he has had an incredibly successful career and never once worked for Vince McMahon.

edit: unless you count the last nitro which I don't and you shouldn't either.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

It's another part of the wonderful world of double-standards in wrestling. Macho Man was an "independent contractor", then he independently went and got himself a sponsorship deal and then independently went off and got a new contract paying more money at a different company and Vince got upset.
Was Savage still an independent contractor while he was doing commentary? I can't remember if his contract had expired anytime between his "retirement" and becoming a commentator.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The best intelligence I've ever heard on this is that Macho left on bad, or less than ideal, terms and has become something of a crazy old coot who stays away from WWE, meaning that trying to collaborate with him on anything is effectively impossible.

Based purely on reading Savage's wiki, it sounded to me like he left on pretty good terms, he got a send-off speech from Vince. Maybe I'm misinterpreting things.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I don't subscribe to the idea that Vince "hates everything he didn't personally create" but I do subscribe to the idea that Vince "hates being reminded that some people can succeed on their own" and was infuriated that Macho Man would be so "ungrateful" as to use his success in WWF to garner money for himself.

This is all a lot to get worked up over, given that it's a peculiar circumstance if it is true. Somehow I doubt Vince garnished Captain Lou's paycheck when he did that Cyndi Lauper video, or became Mario.

He was reportedly upset with the Rock when he played a gay character in Be Cool, leading to a couple of years of no word on the Rock or Vince ever working together again (culminating in that stupid poo poo where John Cena repeatedly called out the Rock), but by then Vince wasn't getting producer credits on Rock movies.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

He was reportedly upset with the Rock when he played a gay character in Be Cool, leading to a couple of years of no word on the Rock or Vince ever working together again (culminating in that stupid poo poo where John Cena repeatedly called out the Rock), but by then Vince wasn't getting producer credits on Rock movies.

I thought the anger between The Rock and Vince was that Vince was under the impression Rock owed him any appearance in any capacity he asked for since the WWE made him a star and Rock understandably laughed at him, not any one particular role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

I thought the anger between The Rock and Vince was that Vince was under the impression Rock owed him any appearance in any capacity he asked for since the WWE made him a star and Rock understandably laughed at him, not any one particular role.

I'm sorry, I don't buy that Vince thinks like this until I see an actual Dave quote at the very least. Up until this point I've been under the impression that the Rock wanted to avoid WWE because he wanted to focus on a real movie career, and wasn't interested in doing one-offs between shoots, or remaining deeply associated with wrestling and having that limit his career prospects. Even now, all we can ostensibly look forward to is the Rock hosting Raw, which will surely be a cross-promotion even then.

Of course I'm not disputing that wrestling contracts are lovely, of course. Vince demanding kickbacks is just a little hard to swallow.