Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
:pcgaming: nurgle biker INCOMING :pcgaming:

Click here for the full 1000x882 image.

Click here for the full 1200x810 image.

Are the Chaos head dealios too much?

And, my girlfriend's Bloodletter!

Click here for the full 844x1912 image.

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Anphrax posted:

Are the Chaos head dealios too much?

No fuckin' way.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

BRAINS! posted:

I'm making my first gaming board and I was wondering where I could get cheap water effects or how to make my own.

go buy a can of Minwax Polycrylic Gloss Varnish at home depot, it's like $6 a quart

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Is that skull with wings torso a conversion or one of the standard CSM torsos?

that would be a standard SM torso.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

I think I may have figured out the above. Base coat with a darker green, dry brush on some boltgun and chainmail, then drybrush on a mix of brown and orange to taste. For the metallic parts drybrush chainmail back over again so it's more apparent. The gold looks like normal gold that I'll just wash brown or possibly black. I think I'll switch out the blue glowing things for a different color, maybe a bright orange or bright red?

What do you guys think?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sole.Sushi posted:

On the subject of Salamanders Sternguard...

Bonus pictures of Vulkan "fix."

I really like the models themselves, but my god I detest the giant-rock-over-lip style of basing. Basing should create and image framed by the rim !

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Plasma blastgun pretty much done.

pew pew

Now maybe I can spend some time on my oath...

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I really like the models themselves, but my god I detest the giant-rock-over-lip style of basing. Basing should create and image framed by the rim !
my friend has an entire army of IG based like this, but they're all slightly tilted to attach to the giant rock. it's so lame looking, but his tanks/chimeras/valks are so nicely painted. it's just when the guys get out they look so retarded :S

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

"WHAT'S THAT CITIZEN? I CAN'T HEAR YOU ALL THE WAY UP HERE"

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

crime fighting hog posted:

I think I may have figured out the above. Base coat with a darker green, dry brush on some boltgun and chainmail, then drybrush on a mix of brown and orange to taste. For the metallic parts drybrush chainmail back over again so it's more apparent. The gold looks like normal gold that I'll just wash brown or possibly black. I think I'll switch out the blue glowing things for a different color, maybe a bright orange or bright red?

What do you guys think?

I can see why you'd go with green as a base and I think you're on the right track, but maybe it would take less effort to prime white and shade down with washes. Paint the skin in a light grey, do metals, basecoat bone and gore and just go to town. Gold is washed with brown and then the same green used for the skin, steel probably just with black and maybe a little green. At least that's the way I'd do the guys. I'd keep the blue glow/metal on the jack because I like the contrast between the that and the rusty metal. Red or orange might blend too much with the hull if you keep the same color scheme.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Arlaharen posted:

I can see why you'd go with green as a base and I think you're on the right track, but maybe it would take less effort to prime white and shade down with washes. Paint the skin in a light grey, do metals, basecoat bone and gore and just go to town. Gold is washed with brown and then the same green used for the skin, steel probably just with black and maybe a little green. At least that's the way I'd do the guys. I'd keep the blue glow/metal on the jack because I like the contrast between the that and the rusty metal. Red or orange might blend too much with the hull if you keep the same color scheme.

Good point. I was mostly commenting on the jacks, the mechanitralls (skeleton guys) I'll worry about later and probably just do very pale skin washed with flesh wash and perhaps have the exposed muscles be green instead of just red.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
I guess I focused too much on the trooper to jack ratio in the picture :)

You could probably skip the green basecoat. Just drybrush heavily with metal over black primer, wash with brown/orange/green and then maybe another drybrush. I can't really make out how the layers are applied from the picture but I don't think there's enough green in there to really warrant a separate layer.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

R.S. Gumby posted:

pew pew

Hot drat

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

R.S. Gumby posted:

pew pew

Loving the use of the ribbon cable. The nozzle cowl is also ringing bells for some reason - is it from some kind of plastic bottle or similar?

Awesome obviously!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PV do you have any thoughts on how to replicate the Jack's scheme? I'm going to give it a shot sometime next week.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

R.S. Gumby posted:

pew pew

The data cable is GENIUS. Awesome build.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PV do you have any thoughts on how to replicate the Jack's scheme? I'm going to give it a shot sometime next week.

Maybe black primer, some sort of drybrush of a tin/copper color,maybe a wash of a turquoise for a verdigris type thing, maybe a drybrush of a dark angels green or something, then another lighter metal drybrush

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Maybe black primer, some sort of drybrush of a tin/copper color,maybe a wash of a turquoise for a verdigris type thing, maybe a drybrush of a dark angels green or something, then another lighter metal drybrush

This was pretty much what I was thinking. I'll post pics of any progress. THANKS

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

This was pretty much what I was thinking. I'll post pics of any progress. THANKS

Just try different variations of the green, copper, and verdigris...try them in different order

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

Hot drat

Get Hot drat :rimshot:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

"WHAT'S THAT CITIZEN? I CAN'T HEAR YOU ALL THE WAY UP HERE :smug:"

I see your points though. It's something I'll keep in mind. Hopefully they wont turn out to be utter crap when I get them finished.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think they look ok on, say, an HQ model but a whole unit/army done that way looks pretty weird to me. The conversions themselves are spot on though. I couldn't bring myself to buy a box of DE just for the cloaks or I'd have done something similar.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

I think they look ok on, say, an HQ model but a whole unit/army done that way looks pretty weird to me. The conversions themselves are spot on though. I couldn't bring myself to buy a box of DE just for the cloaks or I'd have done something similar.

That's the intent: HQ and special people get the "over the top" bases while everyone else gets something a bit more muted.
For the cloaks, check out TheWarStore.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Cakefool posted:

Loving the use of the ribbon cable. The nozzle cowl is also ringing bells for some reason - is it from some kind of plastic bottle or similar?

Awesome obviously!

Heh, I actually looked at plastic bottles for that part, but came up with nothing. Made it by building up the shape with cardboard, cutting/sanding it down and smoothing it out with filler.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

I see your points though. It's something I'll keep in mind. Hopefully they wont turn out to be utter crap when I get them finished.

I think they look amazing so far, I'm just not a fan of the tall bases, but even yours aren't too bad. I've seen a chaplain standing on top of a 2 inch tall rock (a real rock)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

On the subject of Salamanders Sternguard...

Bonus pictures of Vulkan "fix."

I like em, I dont have the goonhate for resin/sculpted/tallish bases. Although I do prefer bases where stuff doesnt go too far over the edges.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I like the vulkan conversion, did you ever see the one I did for zarkov?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Wow I just noticed you chopped off Helbrecht's head. Pretty nice stuff.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My GW Vulkan is collecting dust in my nerd closet. I really wish it looked more like the concept art, especially the gauntlet.

That conversion is a definite improvement to the stupid stock spear arm.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Tell that to GW :v:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I think the crazy rock bases look better on terminator style and above. It just looks like there isn't enough room on the normal infantry. It's fitting to have the Salamanders on those particular ones though.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Welp, the rust/vedrigris scheme isn't working out too well so far but I'm going to keep trying with it. I like this scheme a lot also

And it looks simple enough to do. The plates are bleached bone then washed with a very thin coat of badab and perhaps devlan mixed in from what I can tell. I may give this a shot of I'm not satisfied with the green and rust. I never was very good at weathering anyways.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Aargh gently caress. I'm trying to paint the skin on my Oathed Elves and on my Escher gangers and I'm experimenting with different degrees of thinning (I know, like milk... what the gently caress is the consistency of milk :cry:) and basically don't seem to be able to avoid either a really streaky finish or a really clumpy texture... What am I doing wrong?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

dpack_1 posted:

Tell that to GW :v:

Ah but that stays within the rim. In fact, I'd say that is perfect example of an extravagant base which doesn't look terrible in terms of dimensions.
Any base that overlaps the rim all round is a bad base.

Oh, and A Thousand Sons by McNeil is surpsisingly quite good.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Only think you should be careful about with whacky bases is that they don't prevent models moving together. It's one of the reasons people don't go crazy in fantasy, because all that poo poo has to rank up at the end of the day. I sometimes wonder if these huge rock bases gently caress with people trying to get into combat or out of a vehicle.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Ashcans posted:

I sometimes wonder if these huge rock bases gently caress with people trying to get into combat or out of a vehicle.
it can be frustrating when people have those rock bases and it prevents you from actually doing base-to-base contact sometimes, which is kinda a problem

but its a double-edged sword. so many people do absolutely nothing for their bases, just black plastic covered in paint splotches, and people that care enough to dynamically base their poo poo usually have nice painted armies which are really visually appealing to play against v:shobon:v

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

I like the vulkan conversion, did you ever see the one I did for zarkov?
No, I haven't. :allears:

Wow I just noticed you chopped off Helbrecht's head. Pretty nice stuff.
That was a bitch. Cutting his head off wasn't hard: drilling out the neck hole, however...

frest posted:

it can be frustrating when people have those rock bases and it prevents you from actually doing base-to-base contact sometimes, which is kinda a problem

but its a double-edged sword. so many people do absolutely nothing for their bases, just black plastic covered in paint splotches, and people that care enough to dynamically base their poo poo usually have nice painted armies which are really visually appealing to play against v:shobon:v

I don't play with anyone that's so competitive that they aren't willing to work out a solution with me on any issues that may arrive based on base sizes. That being said, I plan on measuring from the bases themselves, and if I gotta take a few extra template hits, well, more's the pity: I'll be looking fly when I die. :c00lbert:

Edit: I may re-base the Helbrecht conversion. That one is a little on the huge side. Thankfully resin cuts easy and is cheap as gently caress.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 19, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Not much of a conversion, just a very mild repose/base

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
:awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frest
Sep 17, 2004

just tippy toeing the active magma flow
no big

I like that treatment of vulkan a lot

• Locked thread