Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

nm posted:

Fitting 3 full sized adults in a 2005-2009 OB/Legacy wagon for more than 15 minutes is actually a crime under the Geneva Convention.
You won't fit 3 baby seats in the back of a 2005-2009 OB, but if it is just 1 seat and the other 2 can sit in the seats or booster seats it might work.
There's more than enough room in the back for all the poo poo though.
However, you probably want something with more space or you could just stop having kids. With 2 kids, the OB is perfect.

yea, ive heard awful things about the last gen outback, the new one adds 4" of legroom, 2.4" of shoulder room, and 2" of headroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

nm posted:

However, you probably want something with more space or you could just stop having kids. With 2 kids, the OB is perfect.

"sorry baby, this is the last one, we gotta keep our Subaru lifestyle"

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

8ender posted:

Ha, my wife's #1 reason for no more than 2 kids is that it would require a minivan.

Hopefully picking up an 03/04 Forester XS sometime in the next week or two, but drat are Subaru's expensive down here in Oz. Foresters especially, they seem to really hold their value. Makes sense though, they're perfect for the kind of travelling you do out here in WA. Mostly paved roads, but you never know when you'll be heading up to Exmouth and find out the only highway has about a foot of water covering it for a good stretch.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

8ender posted:

Like anyone should need an excuse to have less than 3 kids. Those poor people.

Krizematik
Oct 20, 2009

...Shiny!
Hello fellow sideways drivers!

Long time lurker, finally had a reason to post. I used to own a 2006 Subaru Baja Turbo, with a 4 speed auto... It was a silly choice, but I loved it anyway. I sold it a number of months ago, because I needed a truck, however, my girlfriend bought a 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i shortly before I bought my truck.

Well, anyway, I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and, almost every winter someone plows out an ice track which I love going out to and fooling around on. This track is usually available 5-6 months of the year. It is fantastic.

Anyway, crummy video for now, I plan on getting some better footage at some point, but, figured you all would enjoy what I have.

Let me know if I should post more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XIbx43zCws

Oh, also: The Impreza is 100% stock, even has stock tires. It is pretty slow out on the ice like that in the current setup, but a blast regardless.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Goddamn you, I would be out there all day long.

rendicil
Mar 30, 2003
I like to piss in the cheerios.

nm posted:

Like anyone should need an excuse to have less than 3 kids. Those poor people.

So the problem is we got the 2 kids at once (twins) so my wife wants to have more children (and I want a boy.) I think I'll just have to suck it up and either buy the minivan (or third row SUV like the Tribeca) because it just seems that it just won't be big enough.

Yeah and gently caress the US for not having a third row outback. I would drive that in a heartbeat.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
hey, funny thing about that ice track....

I just shot a video of my 2.5rs there last Sunday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Gn5C7hMj4

with photo

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 18, 2010

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Chriskory posted:

with photo

Your car looks familiar, are you the guy from nasioc that does those videos?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

TurboLuvah posted:

Goddamn you, I would be out there all day long.

Or a weekend, at a "goonbaru meet".

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
Get an OBW and a rocketbox. Problem solved!

rendicil posted:

Can an outback fit two kids in diapers, with a potential third and all of their stuff (including twin stroller and pack and plays and all of my wife's and my stuff (clothes) for a journey to Grandpa / Grandma's once every two months? I'm looking at the class of car because of the potential of having 3+ kids and or needing to carpool those kids.

For the most part I just can't stand the fact that I need to really buy a minivan, so I'm looking at options with three rows of seats.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Quick question:

My '04 FXT's hood insulation is shot and I removed it. Should I worry about replacing it or is it pretty much just there to keep noise down? With the hood scoop it only takes up half the hood and actually seems kind of useless.

Edit: can the thread tag get changed to this?:

Krizematik
Oct 20, 2009

...Shiny!

Chriskory posted:

Fantastic. Love to see more people out there. Looks like you have a pretty large group. I have been planning on getting an older soobie to take out there more often to really thrash around. Do you guys go anywhere in the summer? There is a sand bar farther toward North Pole that has some promising summer rally prospects.

You should let me know the next time you all go out there, maybe I'll drive my ladies car out, or something.

Additionally, my favorite picture from out there:

[edit: oops, broke tables]

Krizematik fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 19, 2010

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
So my tax return is here and it's almost time to put the vf39 and sti top mount in the forester xt, I just need a few more parts...mainly the exhaust. Is it worth it to get a full turbo back system, or can I get away with just a downpipe and a sti catback? I'm hoping to get it to at least 280 wtq.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Chriskory posted:

with photo

hahaha, awesome, love the donuts in the video... killer photo as well, wish I could take the Saabaru up there.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

FecalFajita posted:

So my tax return is here and it's almost time to put the vf39 and sti top mount in the forester xt, I just need a few more parts...mainly the exhaust. Is it worth it to get a full turbo back system, or can I get away with just a downpipe and a sti catback? I'm hoping to get it to at least 280 wtq.

I don't know why you wouldn't want a full exhaust. Depending on what you get it wont be that bad in the car. Exhausts just arent that expensive for these cars. I think its worth it.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

Zsbaug24 posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't want a full exhaust. Depending on what you get it wont be that bad in the car. Exhausts just arent that expensive for these cars. I think its worth it.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking for exhaust that doesn't drone on the highway. After looking at some prices, it seems like it would cost at least a grand for a system that claims to be quiet. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere if possible.

I read some where on NASIOC that for up to 350 wtq/whp, you don't need more than a 2 1/2" exhaust system. I guess I'm looking for a second opinion on that.

The OEM STI catback along with a downpipe seems like a good solution money and noise wise, but I'm trying to find any drawbacks before I go ahead and do it. If you have an opinion on that, please tell.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
2.5 vs 3" is a good 15-20whp difference even on a vf39.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

JBark posted:

Hopefully picking up an 03/04 Forester XS sometime in the next week or two...
Just picked it up today, black 03 XS. Feels good to be back in a Subaru again, and I'd forgotten how much I missed that boxer rumble. Seems like it might need some brake work, but the rest of the car is pretty much immaculate and the previous owners never missed a single service. Quite good shape being 7 years old, and the engine bay looks like it just rolled out of the factory. Always amazed how well the Perth weather treats vehicles.

I'm pretty sure my 9-2x looked worse within 3 months of buying it.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

jamal posted:

2.5 vs 3" is a good 15-20whp difference even on a vf39.

Thanks. Now to find something that's not ridiculously loud or expensive...

JBark posted:

Nice, it definitely looks clean for its age. And great timing with the picture.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

So my thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3254328 is drawing to a close and I think the conclusion is that my engine is showing all the signs of rod knock.

Luckily I think I've caught it early and right now the only symptoms are a rattle at startup and a faint rattle when I'm on the highway at 2500-3000rpm and let the throttle out to just barely open. I'm poor as poo poo right now but I'm hatching a plan where I buy a beater daily driver and then spend some time rebuilding the boxer engine. Some questions:

Given the symptoms of light rod knock what should I be looking at here for parts?
Should I get the crank turned?
New pistons or reuse the old? I do get some piston slap on cold days

Right now I'm looking at new main and rod bearings, crank and main seal, and head gaskets. Also I've never rebuilt an engine before so is there any tools I need aside from the usual tools I have for auto work?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

gently caress

gently caress

gently caress

gently caress

gently caress

gently caress

so that's what I did today.

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 22, 2010

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jamal posted:

this one looks like you're panning for gold.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jamal posted:

so that's what I did today.

Hey look, its my future. See my post above yours. I know you have a different engine but please tell me everything you can about fixing this.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

drat that sucks jamal. At least you know what you're doing. If/when I blow my poo poo up, I'm hosed or will learn about motor rebuilds pretty drat quick.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

MMD3 posted:

this one looks like you're panning for gold.

It's the American dream, oil and gold in the same place!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

FecalFajita posted:

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking for exhaust that doesn't drone on the highway. After looking at some prices, it seems like it would cost at least a grand for a system that claims to be quiet. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere if possible.

I read some where on NASIOC that for up to 350 wtq/whp, you don't need more than a 2 1/2" exhaust system. I guess I'm looking for a second opinion on that.

The OEM STI catback along with a downpipe seems like a good solution money and noise wise, but I'm trying to find any drawbacks before I go ahead and do it. If you have an opinion on that, please tell.

As a note I use the OTS Cobb maps.

The first exhaust setup I had was a Cobb catted downpipe with the OEM STI catback, there is almost no noise increase inside or outside the car besides some extra wastegate noise. It will feel like a significant boost in power and torque over stock, but it basically choked the turbo once you got past 4.5k RPMs. Literally killed it. You could watch on a boost gauge how it would spool to about 16 psi and then once you hit 4.5k drop to 10 and below as you headed toward the redline.

I now have a fully catless exhaust with a Tanabe Medalion Touring cat back. Its got a full size resonator and muffler. Inside the car it doesnt drone at all on the highway. Especially if you listen to the radio at normal volume levels you'll rarely even notice that you have a full exhaust. Its loud as hell outside the car, or if you have the windows down, but simply cruising along its not bad inside the car at all.

I searched around and the nice thing about not having a cat in the downpipe is that basically you can find some cheap cheap bent pieces of metal. You will save a lot of cash doing that. I spent about 700 dollars on my exhuast all said and done. I'd also recommend some stiffer hangers for it, mine rattled a lot from the added vibration and larger pipe size knocking against the undercarriage, and some kartboy poly hangers took care of that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

8ender posted:

Hey look, its my future. See my post above yours. I know you have a different engine but please tell me everything you can about fixing this.

well, conveniently the machine shop we use started out building older subaru motors for sandrail use, so they have a stockpile of parts for my engine. Looks like I'll need a new crank and a rod at the minimum. The last time we bought used rods from them they were $10 each.

I'll get the bores honed, buy new bearings and rings, find a good oil pump, and put everything back together. I also did a leakdown test before I took off the heads and one of the intake valves on cylinder 1 leaks, so I have to figure out if I just want to fix that or completely re-seat, re-seal, and re-shim both heads.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
I have a friend that just bought a new 2010 Outback. He really likes it, the only problem is he's an avid kayaker and his kayak is too long to fit on the oem roof racks that come standard on it. He actually had to pay to have the OEM racks removed and another one installed so he can put his kayak up there but now there are the holes left over from where the oem rack was. I told him to get the roof rails from a legacy wagon but I guess they don't sell those in the US anymore. So does anyone know where he might find the EDM or JDM roof strips from a legacy wagon do put on his outback?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lazor posted:

I have a friend that just bought a new 2010 Outback. He really likes it, the only problem is he's an avid kayaker and his kayak is too long to fit on the oem roof racks that come standard on it. He actually had to pay to have the OEM racks removed and another one installed so he can put his kayak up there but now there are the holes left over from where the oem rack was. I told him to get the roof rails from a legacy wagon but I guess they don't sell those in the US anymore. So does anyone know where he might find the EDM or JDM roof strips from a legacy wagon do put on his outback?

That's a shame. They redesigned the crossbars on the 2010 to fold into the rails when not in use to reduce wind noise/resistance, and that was one of their selling points.

Edit: This page has tons of people ranting about it and several posters show homemade solutions.
http://www.gear.com/2010-subaru-outback-roof-rails-should-i-say-roof-rack-fails/

Vladimir Putin fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 23, 2010

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Got my tax return in today.. in the form of four wheels & tires.

4 Drag DR-33 wheels @ $130 each - 18"x7.5"
4 Falken Azenis RT-615 tires @ $114 each (after $20/tire rebate) - 225/40R18
Free shipping!

Also included free, one attention-whore cat.

And now.. several weeks of them being in storage waiting for spring. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jamal posted:

well, conveniently the machine shop we use started out building older subaru motors for sandrail use, so they have a stockpile of parts for my engine. Looks like I'll need a new crank and a rod at the minimum. The last time we bought used rods from them they were $10 each.

I'll get the bores honed, buy new bearings and rings, find a good oil pump, and put everything back together. I also did a leakdown test before I took off the heads and one of the intake valves on cylinder 1 leaks, so I have to figure out if I just want to fix that or completely re-seat, re-seal, and re-shim both heads.

My crank isn't going to look anywhere like yours (mine is doing a slow death thing) so if you were in my situation would you wait and see to replace it or just replace it regardless? Should I look into pistons and rings as well?

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

Edit: This page has tons of people ranting about it and several posters show homemade solutions.
http://www.gear.com/2010-subaru-outback-roof-rails-should-i-say-roof-rack-fails/

That's funny, I sent him that link and said that his comment is one of those first ones towards the bottom.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Just dropped off my motor at the machine shop.

Getting
replacement crank, pistons, rods
race bearings
cylinder hone
rings
valve job and head resurface

for less than $600

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 23, 2010

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Wheel locks – yes/no?

And if yes, where to buy?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Can I put different springs on my 05 WRX but use stock struts and tophats?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

cmorrow001 posted:

Yes. Is it a good idea? Usually not. Can you ruin your handling by doing so? Quite easily.
You need to start with what your handling goals are and then work back to choose your components. If you just want to lower your car do whatever you want, it'll suck but you won't know or care.
Here's a good starting point to learn about suspension on your car.
To really learn why you would change springs or dampers, look up some sport compact car articles on suspension tech and tuning.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

the stock struts, especially 5 years old, can't deal with much more spring than stock. Prodrive springs are very good and designed to work on stock wrx struts. They're not made anymore but Epic springs are essentially the same thing.

For a much better performance increase new struts and stiffer springs are a much better way to go, but of course it costs more.

Tokico d-specs are the current most highly regarded strut replacements for a wrx. Racecomp engineering black or yellow springs would go well with them.

You should start with better tires and a better alignment. Without that all the suspension parts in the world aren't going to do you a lot of good.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

jamal posted:

the stock struts, especially 5 years old, can't deal with much more spring than stock. Prodrive springs are very good and designed to work on stock wrx struts. They're not made anymore but Epic springs are essentially the same thing.

For a much better performance increase new struts and stiffer springs are a much better way to go, but of course it costs more.

Tokico d-specs are the current most highly regarded strut replacements for a wrx. Racecomp engineering black or yellow springs would go well with them.

You should start with better tires and a better alignment. Without that all the suspension parts in the world aren't going to do you a lot of good.

Thanks for the input. In all honesty, I want to change the look of the car more than the performance. I may wait a little then replace springs and struts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleSkunk
May 8, 2007
Erotic Cakes
Can somebody tell me if I borked something in my transmission (09 WRX)? I accelerated pretty hard the other day and let out the clutch a bit quicker than I should've. Afterwards I noticed that the shift lever seemed "looser." Now it can move left and right maybe a quarter-inch each way without any resistance. Similarly, it seems I can move it more when in gear. Could this just be a bushing issue? I really hope I didn't hose something up, I just got the car back from the shop after somebody rear-ended the poo poo out of me :(