Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

Stop being all frozen and shit, Hector. I mean, Jesus.

vacation in kabul posted:

I laughed really hard at this. Holy poo poo.

I didn't really think it was that funny tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

DefenseSupportParty posted:

I didn't really think it was that funny tbh.

Ok I just read it again I guess it's p. loving funny.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Just a friendly reminder that this is a thread about Canadian Forces, and is not an IRC channel. Also, the EDIT button exists for a reason. kthx.

Edit: We do have an IRC channel, btw. irc.synirc.net #milgoons. Canadians welcome, too!

grover fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 15, 2010

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

grover posted:

Just a friendly reminder that this is a thread about Canadian Forces, and not IRC. Also, the EDIT button exists for a reason. kthx.

Copy that. Over and out.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What have you people been doing to my thread?

Also, why is Col. Serial Killer apparently buddy-buddy with Paul Bernardo? How does someone get flagged for full-bird Colonel without someone realizing that they're a loving SERIAL KILLER

DefenseSupportParty
Dec 2, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

What have you people been doing to my thread?

Also, why is Col. Serial Killer apparently buddy-buddy with Paul Bernardo? How does someone get flagged for full-bird Colonel without someone realizing that they're a loving SERIAL KILLER

I have been making your thread great with talk of Tim Hortons.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

DefenseSupportParty posted:

I have been making your thread great with talk of Tim Hortons.

What do you know of Tim Hortons. You are American and live in a Mountain (At least that's what Stargate tells me)

thewheelsteve
Jan 26, 2010
---

thewheelsteve fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 20, 2019

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

my pet monster posted:

I am going reg. as a SigOp. Leave for BMQ in St. Jean Feb. 27th and start officially March 1st.

I'm signing up as reg. SigOp as well. I still need to get my highschool records in but the guy I talked to said I should be sent out sometime shortly after april

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
First a serial killer and rapist Colonel, now a child-molesting chaplain:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/767250--ex-chaplain-in-sex-case-paid-off-teen-officials

:wtf:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

A priest in a molestation scandal?

I am shocked.

HoboJ
Jan 3, 2010
I'm curious here. This fall I enter a broadcast engineering program at a local college. What jobs in the Canadian forces are related to this program? Using the online tool is rather painful.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

But Father Mulcahy was so nice :confused:

Edit: oh my god... poor Radar...

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

HoboJ posted:

I'm curious here. This fall I enter a broadcast engineering program at a local college. What jobs in the Canadian forces are related to this program? Using the online tool is rather painful.

I'm not sure so here's a shot in the dark, maybe Communications?

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I'm week 7 in BMOQ right now, posting from the MEGA :coal:

Farnham next week ehehe

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

The Amputee House posted:

I'm week 7 in BMOQ right now, posting from the MEGA :coal:

Farnham next week ehehe

I just got my capbadge on friday. Have fun in farnham.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Simkin posted:

Fresh out of BMOQ infantry 2lt checking in. I've only seen about 48 hrs of Gagetown, and that was on Thursday-Saturday when the base was officially closed, so I have no idea what to expect when I return from my Christmas leave.

Anyone have anything good/ill to say of CAP? I'm hopefully going to be course loaded, since sitting on PAT for a while doesn't seem too exciting a proposition.

You did BMOQ Aug/Sep-> Dec? I might have some guys from your course on my platoon. If someone getting recoursed during grad week rings any bells...

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

mr_selfdestruct posted:

I just got my capbadge on friday. Have fun in farnham.

Nice. I think things actually got worse after indoc because once I went back into the real world I remembered how much freedom I had lost and got pretty down. Montreal is pretty great though make sure you take every chance to get off base, even if its just a few hours in St. Jean. If your course is anything like mine the next few weeks are going to be really busy, but not so bad since you are used to everything by now.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Nice. I think things actually got worse after indoc because once I went back into the real world I remembered how much freedom I had lost and got pretty down. Montreal is pretty great though make sure you take every chance to get off base, even if its just a few hours in St. Jean. If your course is anything like mine the next few weeks are going to be really busy, but not so bad since you are used to everything by now.

I have had plenty of weekends out, i was in warrior for 10 weeks. Our first weekend out on platoon we had 2 AWOLs and then those same people got busted drinking on the floor, so....it will be a fun week.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
CFB Wainwright is actually looking slightly better; met a nice blonde from Edmonton while I was on a cruise in the Caribbean who likes my sense of humour and ability to make a fool of myself doing karaoke.

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah
I used to live in wainwright when I was a kid :(
I didn't live on the base though and my dad was in the oil industry not the military so I guess that's good that I left!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

You did BMOQ Aug/Sep-> Dec? I might have some guys from your course on my platoon. If someone getting recoursed during grad week rings any bells...

Yeah, 6 Sep - 16 Dec, I know of that person, but I think they were a week ahead. We just finished up range week, and managed to not have anyone vr this week, but the staff are still busily shaking the tree to see what falls out.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Hah. Here's a fun one for you, acumen. Can I receive any of the sniper training as an officer, or is it NCM only?

NCM only as far as I know. We really should offer the course to officers though, it sure as hell helps them understand how to employ us better. Because, obviously, no one wants to ask the corporal how to employ snipers even though he may know more about it.

As for ruck marches, there's only so much you can do. The entire point of it is a gut check, and all these minor hints and tips won't really bring you that far. The best piece of advice is to suck it up. It's not that hard.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I finally got my job offer today. 4 years, Combat Engineer. BMQ starts June 10th.

Total time from Application to Offer was around 8 months.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

From my recent experience I can now say California sucks.

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 14, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

dancin pete posted:

Finally back from the 2 months of fun in the sun in Fort Irwin. Other than the day in Vegas it sucked balls.

I've been at 2CER for almost 7 years now, so if you have any questions about Combat Engineers I'd be happy to answer them.

I actually do have some questions I'd like to ask, but I don't have PMs or anything like that. My email is [edited out], if you could send me an email I'd like to pick your brain a little.

edit: Thanks, I got your email. I'll send you a message when I have a minute.

Samu fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 2, 2010

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Look at meeee, workin' with the acting DSM!

Sweepin' floors!
Scrubbing snow off the vehicles!
Shovelling!

You too can do all this exciting stuff during the day, if you burn your leave early and have no days left for March Break!

Weeee!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

dancin pete posted:

Finally back from the 2 months of fun in the sun in Fort Irwin. Other than the day in Vegas it sucked balls.

No kidding. That was one of the worst-run exercises I've seen in my 4.5 years. You in the battlegroup?

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

I miss march break.

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 14, 2010

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

A buddy of mine just got back from that ex. He said it was god-awful. Except for Vegas.

So, sentiment echoed, I suppose.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

acumen posted:

NCM only as far as I know. We really should offer the course to officers though, it sure as hell helps them understand how to employ us better. Because, obviously, no one wants to ask the corporal how to employ snipers even though he may know more about it.

That's kind of my thinking on it - you're told that you should never ask your men to do things that you wouldn't (or couldn't) do, so if we don't even get a basic qual on any of those more specialized weapons systems, how will we know to properly deploy them?

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Hey guys. I've been thinking about joining the reserves. I've always wanted to do some sort of military service, but right out of school I got a pretty high paying cushy government job and some other reasons to not disrupt my life too much. For some reason, I never really thought about the reserves until recently. I'm 25 now and about to get married, so I think I'd like to do this now for a few years before I have kids and have no free time. I think not doing any kind of service might be something I regret later in my life.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) Training: I've found conflicting information on the Internet. Is training a few weeks somewhere, or is it every other weekend? Are both options available? What is the "best" way to go? I work for the RCMP and can get special leave without pay to take part in CF training (I think like 2 weeks per year, not sure).

2) Deployment: I know that overseas deployment for reservists is voluntary, but is there anything else that I could be compelled to do? Are reservists that don't ever volunteer for deployment looked down on? I don't really want to disrupt my life too much. If I could do one evening a week, one weekend a month, and maybe help out with forest fires and that kind of thing when needed, that would be ideal for me. I know that the government can call the reserves to active duty in the event of some crisis, but hasn't done so since World War 2. If something on the scale of WW2 happened, gently caress it, I'd be joining up anyways.

3) What kind of stuff would I do on the weeknights and weekends? I'm considering NCM in infantry or engineers. Do armouries ever let anyone observe to see if they'd like to join? I'll probably call up some local armouries tomorrow and ask.

Any answers or advice appreciated.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Lemons posted:

1) Training: I've found conflicting information on the Internet. Is training a few weeks somewhere, or is it every other weekend? Are both options available? What is the "best" way to go? I work for the RCMP and can get special leave without pay to take part in CF training (I think like 2 weeks per year, not sure).

2) Deployment: I know that overseas deployment for reservists is voluntary, but is there anything else that I could be compelled to do? Are reservists that don't ever volunteer for deployment looked down on? I don't really want to disrupt my life too much. If I could do one evening a week, one weekend a month, and maybe help out with forest fires and that kind of thing when needed, that would be ideal for me. I know that the government can call the reserves to active duty in the event of some crisis, but hasn't done so since World War 2. If something on the scale of WW2 happened, gently caress it, I'd be joining up anyways.

3) What kind of stuff would I do on the weeknights and weekends? I'm considering NCM in infantry or engineers. Do armouries ever let anyone observe to see if they'd like to join? I'll probably call up some local armouries tomorrow and ask.

1) You need to do Basic Military Qual., but that's offered both over weekends (dependent on the unit) and over the summer. I would suggest the latter, since the former... well, it just doesn't feel right to have your creature comforts before and after your weekend basic training.

2) A major emergency, maybe, but nothing else would compel you to do anything. As for deploying, that would depend on the people in your unit.

3) This also depends on your unit; you'd want to talk to the recruiting officer with the unit to find out what they normally do. They might well let you observe, though probably not unaccompanied.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Lemons posted:

Hey guys. I've been thinking about joining the reserves. I've always wanted to do some sort of military service, but right out of school I got a pretty high paying cushy government job and some other reasons to not disrupt my life too much. For some reason, I never really thought about the reserves until recently. I'm 25 now and about to get married, so I think I'd like to do this now for a few years before I have kids and have no free time. I think not doing any kind of service might be something I regret later in my life.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1.) The best way is whatever works with your time schedule. yada yada yada people will poo poo on you for having done a weekend basic training but who cares its only one part (and one if the least important imo) of your training, the rest will be done over the summer. If youre RCMP youll be able to get time off to do training Im sure, I know many reservists who are Mounties.

2.) Nope, theres plenty of people who dont deploy, in fact its competitive sometimes to get a deployment as a reservist. No ones going to care, and if they do, so what? Its your life, dont get too caught up in how other reservists see your career choices.

3.) Most armoures if you call them up will let you sit in and observe, mine does at least.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I've been thinking about joining the reg force if some of my other options don't pan out the way I want them. However I'm not sure what kind of job to pick. I graduated University so I was wondering if I should take up officer training or not.

I have a lot of friends in the CF, one of them is currently an officer in the Navy reserve, I got a couple in the Engineers at Denison armories and a few Horse Guards and Queens York Rangers. A lot of them tell me that I should stay the hell away from combat arms because it's apparently career suicide and absolute dirt.

I really like heavy equipment, machines and big guns and I'd like to do a technically oriented task. I'm also primarily looking at getting into either the ground force or the navy but I'm not sure which branch is looking for people more. Does anyone know if being a MARS is a decent, attainable job? Can I still be an officer and be involved in with things like ASW and sonar? I heard that they're really aching for artillery people right now and that sounds like something interesting to me except that I also heard it's really boring because artillery doesn't get used much.

Also I'm thinking I should first apply to be an NCM to gain some practical experience before I try to be an officer since I heard a lot of stories from my navy officer friend about people fresh out of university just completely bombing the exercises because they have no idea how to handle a basic combat situation. For example there was this one case where a whole bunch of people in a unit were nicknamed "Paladins" because they would be checking their ROE cards in one hand while holding their gun and firing with the other. There was a massive green on green incident when this 30 year old woman ignored all the advice of her subordinates and insisted that they obey her commands to open fire without verifying whether they were friendlies. In another case they used a flashlight check if they were friendly only to get "killed" because they revealed their position and started taking fire. (Once again this is all an exercise so no one really died, but you get the picture.) My friend who already had like 3 years experience as a Private basically didn't make any mistakes when it was his turn to be assessed.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 7, 2010

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

I've been thinking about joining the reg force if some of my other options don't pan out the way I want them. However I'm not sure what kind of job to pick. I graduated University so I was wondering if I should take up officer training or not.

I have a lot of friends in the CF, one of them is currently an officer in the Navy reserve, I got a couple in the Engineers at Denison armories and a few Horse Guards and Queens York Rangers. A lot of them tell me that I should stay the hell away from combat arms because it's apparently career suicide and absolute dirt.

Speaking as a Horse Guard I can safely say that combat arms only seems terrible from the reserve side. Having done long stretches attached to reg force on taskings it seems to me that reg-force combat arms is really not that bad. I definitely wouldn't want to be service battalion.

Edit: Also, go in as officer right away if you can, enlisted pay is absolute poo poo until you hit corporal. As long as you aren't an idiot who tries to micromanage everything and shits on the troops you will be fine. Good officers are like gold, but too many of them think that they have to be hardasses to earn respect when nothing could be further from the truth. Be friendly to your men, and protect them from admin bullshit and they will love you.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 8, 2010

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Admin bullshit? You got an example of that?

Also I can safely say that I don't really like that whole hardass thing. I've had my fair share of assholes in authority, I'd prefer to build camaraderie with my men above all other things.

I just hope I don't get taken advantage of.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

DerDestroyer posted:

I really like heavy equipment, machines and big guns and I'd like to do a technically oriented task. I'm also primarily looking at getting into either the ground force or the navy but I'm not sure which branch is looking for people more. Does anyone know if being a MARS is a decent, attainable job? Can I still be an officer and be involved in with things like ASW and sonar? I heard that they're really aching for artillery people right now and that sounds like something interesting to me except that I also heard it's really boring because artillery doesn't get used much.

Any position "looking for people" is desperately short of said people, which can make it a pretty ugly work environment. For a lot of reasons, but generally overwork.

APPLY FOR A JOB YOU WANT - I cannot stress that enough.

MARS officer is not a decent job, but it can be fulfilling if you can handle career phases such as the "Sub Grinder." Sub in this case being short for Sub-Liuetenant. You might get to captain a ship! But you almost certainly won't. Any association with ASW is going to at best be your two year Director tour, but more likely talking to the acoustics section for twenty minutes to get your package signed off.

If you want to specialize in ASW as an officer, ACSO is much more likely to lead you that way via the maritime helicopter or TACNAV streams.

That all may sound pretty negative but it's best to either apply for something you want and not get it than join and get bitter and disillusioned doing something you despise (or don't give a poo poo about).

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

Admin bullshit? You got an example of that?

For example, right now the army owes me about $2500 because the clerks cant be bothered to do their loving job, and instead of leaning on them the officer thats supposed to be taking care of this poo poo tells me I need to see him before anything can be done. Then, after being "too busy" to see me for about a week I finally go into his office only to be told that I'll need to see him some other time because he doesnt have my file. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So recruitment is still looking to open up in April, right? At least that's what I gathered from earlier portions of this thread, and from what a few emails have told me. I'm intending on going into Infantry if I can: I've wanted to be a soldier my whole damned life, with all it's inglorious bullshit duties and all.