Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Phuzion posted:

If you're talking about the one in the fold-out, no one, because it's not released to the public, as it hasn't been approved by the FCC yet.
Obviously, I just don't see the point in this radio since you can buy the base version of the FT-9000 for $5000. Maybe this will replace the FT-2000, but I dunno.

blugu64 posted:

I didn't think Ham Radios had to be type approved?
Radios with a certain capability that are commercially produced have to be type accepted. Homebrew stuff doesn't have to go through the process, but there are still rules governing spectral purity that homebrew equpiment has to follow. That's why it's taken until now to get the Tokyo Hi-Power 100W amp that's designed for QRP rigs imported into the US, because the FCC was really picky about the type acceptance. (Think about it, what other service is in HF that is limited to less than 10 watts stock that would love to have a true commercial 100W amp that's better than Davemade garbage?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

KingOMtDew posted:

Those radios make me and my TS-2000x feel insignificant.
Personally, I'd rather have the TSD-2000X any day over one of the super radios.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Just got my new QST today.. I want it. Now. I don't care if I don't necessarily need it, it'd just look so cool sitting on my desk.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

KingOMtDew posted:

Yesterday I heard a few greybeards on 80. It was 2 guys trying to help another guy set the clock on his new rig. From what I heard it sounded like the new rig was an Icom IC-7800. At one point one of them did mention that they were in their 60's. So yes, retirees do buy those high end radios.

Those radios make me and my TS-2000x feel insignificant.

To be fair, the ICOM 7800 is a pain in the rear end to use though.

The few guys that have high end radios around me are mostly 50+ serious contesters and expeditioners. Most of the younger guys stick to rigs under $1000 and instead spend it on antennas.

HFX fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 23, 2009

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.
So many buttons. With the DX-9000 at $10,000 I'm going to guess this rig will cost $5-$6,000.

Click here for the full 1290x573 image.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Radnor posted:

So many buttons. With the DX-9000 at $10,000 I'm going to guess this rig will cost $5-$6,000.

So. much. overkill.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Radnor posted:

what the hell is that thing? even military radios dont have that many drat buttons.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

invision posted:

what the hell is that thing? even military radios dont have that many drat buttons.
That's because military radios are usually channelized, don't operate on as many modes, and don't have as many tuning/operation conveniences as ham radios.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Radnor posted:

I love this class of radio. It's the ham radio equivalent of a Lamborghini: no good reason to justify one, but drat does every guy want it just because it's shiny.

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW
Way too many knobs and buttons on that thing. If I had that much money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd definitely spring for a /\/\ Quantar and antenna. It would be the most solid, reliable repeater in the area (gently caress those GE MASTR IIs). Bonus points for it being mixed mode P25/analog.

Beefington
Sep 18, 2004

Live Together, Die Alone
It's a little strange to compare a repeater to a contesting HF rig, but sure. The Motorola gear is nice, and you really get what you pay for.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
News piece I caught on amateur radio's place in the Haiti disaster,

http://www.nbc26.com/Global/story.asp?S=11819668

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Radio Nowhere posted:

News piece I caught on amateur radio's place in the Haiti disaster,

http://www.nbc26.com/Global/story.asp?S=11819668
On the one hand I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't see that (I live in their coverage area), but on the other hand the writing of that article is atrocious so meh.

Nice catch.

zencyl
Jan 17, 2010

MullardEL34 posted:

So. much. overkill.

Yeah but its so sexy. Thats all that matters.

IonClash
Feb 27, 2007

Anyone up for an A0-51 contact at roughly 3:20 PM MST?

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
This thread got me interested in getting an amateur radio license. I started taking the practice tests and looking around for radio gear.

Due to cost, familiarity with the hardware and software, and the HOA limits on what I can mount on my roof, taking advantage of the amateur overlap with wifi frequencies looked like fun.

However, looking around at various ham forums, and googling for other wifi projects, what I found wasn't very encouraging.

Lots of projects by non-hams staying within part 15 limits (or bending the rules), and a lot of hams completely bad-mouthing the concept of digital radio that wasn't AX25 or similar.

Using part 97 rules to modify wifi equipment seems like the perfect match for apartment dwellers and those living under HOAs. In my case, the high gain dish antennas for 2.4 and 5GHz fall under the exemptions for digital satellite TV dishes. Patch and yagi antennas are small enough to be unnoticed.

What's with hams ignoring the up and coming radio technology? Is it just greybeards not wanting to learn new things? Is their something about digital communication that runs counter to ham culture?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

do a ham cram, it was awesome (but violently drained us of energy)

this is the one I got tech at, I imagine I will get general at the next one http://www.baears.com/info.php

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

and a lot of hams completely bad-mouthing the concept of digital radio that wasn't AX25 or similar.

gently caress those guys.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

What's with hams ignoring the up and coming radio technology? Is it just greybeards not wanting to learn new things?

Yes.
It's not 'real' ham radio if it's above 10meters, but here let me setup my vhf/uhf repeater that is a unique and special snowflake unlike all the other unused repeaters across the country. THINGS'ER BETTER WHEN WE HAD DA CODE I TELL YOU, crotchety bastards. They do pay for fancy radios, and for a lobbying organization though so I have a hard time disliking them. Plus they're a great way to unload old computers running dos 4.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

This thread inspired me to go and grab my Technician license.

I grabbed the no nonsense Tech study Guide pdf and read it just out of curiosity.
After that I considered actually getting licensed, so I googled for testing locations. It actually turned out that testing was being held the very next day, so I went for it and got the tech license on the first try. I took a stab at the General license just for kicks and failed miserably with 19 wrong out of 35.

No real surprise there. I hadn't tested myself on any of the questions in that question pool, so that test was all me.

Currently still waiting for my callsign. Also trying to get my hands on a radio. Im open to either a yaesu ft-60r new, or a used vx-7r. I ordered a ft-60r from universal radio. Got an email saying was on backorder until next month. I said no thanks. If I wanted to order my radio from Korea and wait two weeks I could have done it myself :(

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

yummycheese posted:

I grabbed the no nonsense Tech study Guide pdf and read it just out of curiosity.After that I considered actually getting licensed, so I googled for testing locations. It actually turned out that testing was being held the very next day, so I went for it and got the tech license on the first try.
Congratulations!

yummycheese posted:

Im open to either a yaesu ft-60r new, or a used vx-7r. I ordered a ft-60r from universal radio. Got an email saying was on backorder until next month.
I think you'll be happy with either of those radios.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Congrats yummycheese.

I would get the VX-7r if you can find a used one, it has 6 meters and that is a ton of fun during Es season.

Don't feel bad about the General license, just study for a few nights and you should be able to easily pass it. Be warned though it is easy to get hooked on HF, I'm currently chasing paper like a madman.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Came across a ft-60r for $135 shipped. Just to good of an offer to pass up. Had another deal going for a vx-7r for $275 shipped. But that price is a lot closer to fair market value compared to the ft-60r which seems like a killer deal.

HF looks like a lot of fun in the future. Right now Im just getting into this. I think Ill be content with my radio. Saw some people using it to work AO-51. So I will definitely try that as soon as possible.

Also, I'm in the boston metro area. Hoping that since this is a pretty techy place the average age of your ham radio user here is below 60. Things are looking pretty good so far. Only one greybeard in the class when I took my tech examine.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

yummycheese posted:

HF looks like a lot of fun in the future. Right now Im just getting into this. I think Ill be content with my radio. Saw some people using it to work AO-51. So I will definitely try that as soon as possible.
Search "cheap antenna WA5VJB" for a .pdf on how to build your own cheap AMSAT yagi. Otherwise, the Arrow antenna is pretty nice.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a ft-60r. Looking forward to using it.

IonClash
Feb 27, 2007

Saw this great video for working satellites.

http://vimeo.com/6868846

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I recently got back into shortwave DXing and now I want to start making my own noise, so I'm going for my Technician test on Thursday. If I can get in enough study time with the online tests, I may also go for mt General test as well.

With luck I'll be scouring the internet looking for a good radio Friday morning.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

BigHustle posted:

I recently got back into shortwave DXing and now I want to start making my own noise, so I'm going for my Technician test on Thursday. If I can get in enough study time with the online tests, I may also go for mt General test as well.
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Beefington
Sep 18, 2004

Live Together, Die Alone

LtDan posted:

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a ft-60r. Looking forward to using it.

So how do you like it? My VX7R has developed some issue with one of it's receivers and I'm debating whether or not to replace it since it's out of warranty.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Beefington posted:

So how do you like it? My VX7R has developed some issue with one of it's receivers and I'm debating whether or not to replace it since it's out of warranty.

So many people will tell you the FT-80r is great. Well worth the purchase, especially for the price.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Beefington posted:

My 2nd radio was a VX5R I got my senior year of high school. Reading everyone talk about their 6,7 or even 8R makes my radio feel pretty dated but drat if it still works like day one!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Radio Nowhere posted:

My 2nd radio was a VX5R I got my senior year of high school. Reading everyone talk about their 6,7 or even 8R makes my radio feel pretty dated but drat if it still works like day one!
It still blows my mind that the 5R came out in 1999. I don't know when mine was manufactured (purchased used off eBay), but it still rolls on like a champ.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

nmfree posted:

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

I passed both the Technician and General Class exams with flying colors. Now I just need to find myself a radio and cool my jets until I show up on the ULS database. I'm probably going to end up with a Yaesu FT-60R, but the VX-6R and VX-7R look much prettier.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Sort of back, mainly listening. I took several months to a year off.

Looks like the MUF is starting to climb. 20 stays open a fair bit later than it did same time last year.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

Beefington posted:

It actually ended up being back ordered and a friend of mine convinced me to go with a VX8R. Haven't made any contacts yet, but I've listened to some conversations on a few repeaters including some guy talking about a $3,000 Dell.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

nmfree posted:

It still blows my mind that the 5R came out in 1999. I don't know when mine was manufactured (purchased used off eBay), but it still rolls on like a champ.

The serial number on the back of Yaesu radios can give you a good idea when the radio was made.

the first digit is the year so a 9 could either be a 1999 or 2009 the letter is the month starting at D the rest is batch number and run information.

I just picked up a vx-7r and it's a nice little handheld indeed.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I just ordered a FT-60R, programming cable, and Comet SMA-3 rubber duck antenna. With any luck I'll have it all in hand and set up for when I get my callsign from the ULS database.

I spoke with my mom last night and she said that my grandfather was a ham and all his old equipment went to my uncle when he died. As it turns out, dear old uncle owes my folks quite a bit of money, so mom's going to tell him that she'll forgive his debt if he forks over grandpa's old gear. I didn't know he was a ham, but I do remember from my childhood that he had an antenna tower next to the house. He died in the mid 80's, so I'm hoping to find some sweet antique gear that I can either use to get some old-school cred from the locals or at least some stuff I can offload to collectors to buy myself a rockin' modern rig.

I'd like to keep it in the family, so to speak, but if for some unholy reason I can sell it all and get one of these, I'll just start a new family tradition.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

BigHustle posted:

I just ordered a FT-60R, programming cable, and Comet SMA-3 rubber duck antenna. With any luck I'll have it all in hand and set up for when I get my callsign from the ULS database.

I spoke with my mom last night and she said that my grandfather was a ham and all his old equipment went to my uncle when he died. As it turns out, dear old uncle owes my folks quite a bit of money, so mom's going to tell him that she'll forgive his debt if he forks over grandpa's old gear. I didn't know he was a ham, but I do remember from my childhood that he had an antenna tower next to the house. He died in the mid 80's, so I'm hoping to find some sweet antique gear that I can either use to get some old-school cred from the locals or at least some stuff I can offload to collectors to buy myself a rockin' modern rig.

I'd like to keep it in the family, so to speak, but if for some unholy reason I can sell it all and get one of these, I'll just start a new family tradition.

I'd rather have a ft-897 :colbert:

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 28, 2019

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Jonny 290 posted:

Sort of back, mainly listening. I took several months to a year off.

Looks like the MUF is starting to climb. 20 stays open a fair bit later than it did same time last year.

Hey, I might be going down to the club on Monday, would you be down to try making a contact at some point? Hell, we could even have a SA Ham Meetup if you guys want.

[REDACTED] for those that are too lazy to look at the first post, and I'll probably be using W8UPD's call sign as I'm still just a tech, and I doubt we'll hit each other on 10m.

PS, who's going to Dayton this year?

Phuzion fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Phuzion posted:

PS, who's going to Dayton this year?

That's something I've always wanted to attend. I might make this my first year depending on finances.