Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My understanding (and this is all pretty much baseless hearsay, of course) isn't that Vince was upset that he wasn't getting a piece of Macho Man's Slim Jim pie, but that Macho Man got the slim jim pie all by himself without needing Vince to do it for him, and evidently didn't credit Vince in any way.

If there is one thing that Vince seems to hate, it is not being considered important/a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm sorry, I don't buy that Vince thinks like this until I see an actual Dave quote at the very least. Up until this point I've been under the impression that the Rock wanted to avoid WWE because he wanted to focus on a real movie career, and wasn't interested in doing one-offs between shoots, or remaining deeply associated with wrestling and having that limit his career prospects. Even now, all we can ostensibly look forward to is the Rock hosting Raw, which will surely be a cross-promotion even then.

Of course I'm not disputing that wrestling contracts are lovely, of course. Vince demanding kickbacks is just a little hard to swallow.

I didn't say anything about kickbacks :confused:

I meant that Vince was under the impression that if he asked the Rock do appear for the WWE in any capacity, The Rock should do whatever schedule-juggling was necessary to make it happen.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

I don't know how true this is but, Ventura has said that the way things used to work was that if you got work outside of WWE then Vince got a cut. He claims that Vince got mad when he hired his own agent and got the role in Predator. He sued Vince later on over royalties and won but still comes back every so often for appearances.

Savage probably wants nothing to do with wrestling anymore and since everyone else has come back at some point the internet believes there has to be some kind of insane reason why he doesn't thus the Stephanie rumor was born.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Because he went back to TNA when everybody else was going back to WWE, they canceled a DVD about him a couple years ago when Vince found out they were making it, and he hasn't been inducted into the hall of fame.

There's definitely some beef there. Wrestlers even comment on it, but none of them really knows what started it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

I didn't say anything about kickbacks :confused:

I meant that Vince was under the impression that if he asked the Rock do appear for the WWE in any capacity, The Rock should do whatever schedule-juggling was necessary to make it happen.

Oh, for some reason I read that as "Vince demanded a cut of whatever money the Rock made."

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LividLiquid posted:

Because he went back to TNA when everybody else was going back to WWE, they canceled a DVD about him a couple years ago when Vince found out they were making it, and he hasn't been inducted into the hall of fame.

Did they just not tell Vince about the recent 3-disc set, then?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CombineThresher posted:

Did they just not tell Vince about the recent 3-disc set, then?
I'm aware that they're doing one now, but two-or-three years ago, one was announced. Along with a Sting DVD. Vince found out about them and shitcanned them. With Sting he said he didn't want to promote a wrestler currently working for the competition and with Savage he just gave a really dismissive, "I do not want to do business with that man."

Something changed, sure, but there is/was a beef between Vince and Macho.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

LividLiquid posted:

Something changed, sure, but there is/was a beef between Vince and Macho.

A beef stick, you might say

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Seemingly the only people who really know what happened are Vince and Savage (and maybe Vince's closest inner circle), and none of them are willing to talk, nor could you necessarily believe what any of them said if they did talk. The Slim Jim explanation seems like a really petty thing, which makes it seem all the more possible with the way Vince is sometimes. There's also a few secondhand stories out there that lend some credence to the Steph story, or some version of it. Then again wrestlers are generally idiots and liars, so who knows what parts of those stories, if any, are true.

The real answer when this comes up is that no one knows and pretty much everything is speculation.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
so what happened to the boogeyman? has he been doing anything since his release?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

IndustrialPope posted:

so what happened to the boogeyman? has he been doing anything since his release?
Duh.....eating worms and scaring the loving beejesus out of little kids.

As a follow-up to that question: Why the HELL is there no Boogeyman smiley?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Carlton Banks posted:

A beef stick, you might say
This is an awesome. Do slim jims actually have beef in them? Oh Boy Oberto Pepperoni sticks, and this is gross as gently caress, have their first three ingredients listed as "Pork hearts, pork fat, beef fat". I always thought it was hilarious that they said "Pork heart" and not "Pig heart".

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

LividLiquid posted:

This is an awesome. Do slim jims actually have beef in them? Oh Boy Oberto Pepperoni sticks, and this is gross as gently caress, have their first three ingredients listed as "Pork hearts, pork fat, beef fat". I always thought it was hilarious that they said "Pork heart" and not "Pig heart".

Its first ingredient is listed as beef, but "the US Department of Agriculture categorizes beef into eight grades of quality. The bottom three—utility, cutter, and canner—are typically used in processed foods and come from older steers with partially ossified vertebrae, tougher tissue, and generally less reason to live. ConAgra wasn't exactly forthcoming on what's inside Slim Jim."

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-09/st_whatsinside

But, a wrestling-related question: Now that we've come back to PG WWE material, will kid-friendly products come knocking on the WWE's door for endorsements, like Chef Boyardee did?

Captain Misc.
Sep 8, 2007

Why don't the kids
want to buy my mask?
:mad:

AKA Driver posted:

But, a wrestling-related question: Now that we've come back to PG WWE material, will kid-friendly products come knocking on the WWE's door for endorsements, like Chef Boyardee did?

God I hope so, that ad campaign was GOLD!

EDIT: We could get one now of Jeicho in a suit. "Im the best at what I do, so I demand the best [holds up can of Chef Boyardee Beefaroni]." Probably cut out the part about Gelatinous Tapeworms, though.

Captain Misc. fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 19, 2010

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

LividLiquid posted:

I'll just say that, when I was a kid, I was a Macho Man fan until I ate a Slim Jim.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When I was really good around thirteen and stopped climbing out my window to stay out all night for at least a month, I'd get a kitchen full of food. Occasionally, this would include a Costco box of Slim Jims.

Believe it or not, when you buy them from a distributor and not from a gas station, they don't even "snap". They're just like any other beef stick.

The point of this story is that the ad campaign for the Slim Jims assumed that you'd eat their product after it had been on the shelf for two years.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

IndustrialPope posted:

He's coming to get you.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Duh.....eating worms and scaring the loving beejesus out of little kids.

As a follow-up to that question: Why the HELL is there no Boogeyman smiley?

How about this? :can:

50 Cent Bulletproof
Apr 17, 2007

STRAIGHT EDGE
KAWAII DESU

LividLiquid posted:

When I was really good around thirteen and stopped climbing out my window to stay out all night for at least a month, I'd get a kitchen full of food. Occasionally, this would include a Costco box of Slim Jims.

Believe it or not, when you buy them from a distributor and not from a gas station, they don't even "snap". They're just like any other beef stick.

The point of this story is that the ad campaign for the Slim Jims assumed that you'd eat their product after it had been on the shelf for two years.

Actually, to school you on some beef stick knowledge, the "snap" refers to the crunch when you bite into the casing. Similar to when you bite into a bratwurst and it snaps.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

How about this? :can:

Nah....looks like one of those cans that you open and the snakes come out like at a little kids birthday party. Fail.

ninja edit: Oh duh, "you've opened a real can of worms", right?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

The one ingredient listed on Slim Jims that will always stay with me is "mechanically separated chicken". That's the first and only ingredient I've read that's ever made me cringe.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CM Junk posted:

The one ingredient listed on Slim Jims that will always stay with me is "mechanically separated chicken". That's the first and only ingredient I've read that's ever made me cringe.

Especially if you're aware of how it's made.

I am.

It's horrifying.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Timby posted:

I am.

It's horrifying.

Did you go to Bovine University?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Timby posted:

I am.

It's horrifying.

Yup.....just googled it.....wish I hadn't. For Christ's sake don't click on the images link.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

AKA Driver posted:

I loving hope so because the Chef Boyardee commercial where Kane was in a kitchen and did the thing with his arms that he does to make his pyro go off, thus causing ravioli or some poo poo to fly out of four cans and into bowls was the funniest poo poo ever.

That was a very inelegant description but still.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Karmine posted:

I loving hope so because the Chef Boyardee commercial where Kane was in a kitchen and did the thing with his arms that he does to make his pyro go off, thus causing ravioli or some poo poo to fly out of four cans and into bowls was the funniest poo poo ever.

That was a very inelegant description but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Lnv8N7SFE

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

10+ years later, that poo poo is still amazing.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This one is pretty good too. I miss wrestling being mainstream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j65DpagyhI&feature=related

BrutusBeefcake
Jun 6, 2003

Suben posted:

Something I've all of a sudden started wondering. Is there a more useless wrestler than Ed Leslie? I'm sure there are probably a bunch in some poo poo indy fed in rural Ohio or wherever but for the sake of discussion, keep it to guys who have worked for the bigger companies (WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA, ROH I guess).

I can not seriously remember or think of a good match he's ever had. He's had a thousand gimmicks and none of the (except maybe Brutus Beefcake for a bit in the '80s?) were ever over or good. The guy is basically around because he's BFFs with Hogan.

Most anybody else, even guys like Bob Holly, had SOMETHING going for them at one point or another. I can't think of a single thing for Ed Leslie though. The only guys that even come close for me are, like, Sylvan Grenier, Orlando Jordan, Maven, etc.

You watch your mouth sir.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Was Norman Smiley over during his peak? I liked him when I was younger....

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrutusBeefcake posted:

You watch your mouth sir.

You will be happy to know that someone asked Meltzer this question and he was able to think of good Ed Leslie matches.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

crankdatbatman posted:

Yes, very, inexplicably, over.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

crankdatbatman posted:

I think he got decent heat. He was never close to the main event scene in WCW, but he had a good run as a something of a comedy character.

He and the Big Wiggle were over with me, at least. :unsmith:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

crankdatbatman posted:

I wanted him to die.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

El Generico posted:

Yes, very, inexplicably, over.

I don't know if I'd say he was very over. People would laugh at the Big Wiggle and sometimes when he screamed, but didnt care about his wrestling or interviews

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Carlton Banks posted:

I don't know if I'd say he was very over. People would laugh at the Big Wiggle and sometimes when he screamed, but didnt care about his wrestling or interviews

The man would wear full football pads during hardcore matches! He was UNIVERSALLY LOVED!!!

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

This one is pretty good too. I miss wrestling being mainstream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j65DpagyhI&feature=related

Ah, I remember back in the days when you could show a grown man assaulting a child in front of his parents to sell a soft drink.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TL posted:

The man would wear full football pads during hardcore matches! He was UNIVERSALLY LOVED!!!
Normal Smiley was so hardcore that he once drank milk two days past expiration!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
When's the last time Scott Hall has had a good match?

I've really been trying to think of the last one as I was thinking....when's the last time Scott Hall has been in ring shape? Well, WWE in 2002, but wait.....when's the last time he's even had a GOOD match??

At least this entire DECADE he's been no more than a drunk that's always getting fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Probably in Puerto Rico