Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Like many most all political jokes they just changed the names on that one from Clinton and Bush to Reagan and Obama.

It takes some sort of mind to take zingers that aren't particularly funny or witty in the first place and then change them so now your "side" wins the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I dunno I kind of miss the heyday of girls talking about getting rid of Bush. I mean there's really no losers in that game.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

jackpot posted:

Well if we're supposed to believe it's a forwarded email from a U.S. soldier, written by a U.S. soldier, we can ignore it right now. Two whilsts, one bloody, lots of polysyllabic words and not a spelling error in the whole bunch. No way a real 'merican wrote that.

Port o Prince

crime fighting hog posted:

Rivera is a left wing news puppy? I thought he worked for Fox?

He showed some compassion for poor black people during Katrina (or at least feigned it convincingly).

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
My dad is starting to send me some right wing junk. There are a couple he's sent that I've seen on this very board, so I did a quick check and I don't think I saw any of these here. I really apologize for the formatting but all these stupid chain letters make me wish I couldn't read:

A Fellow American posted:

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!!
A friend sent this along to me. I can't think of a reason to disagree.
I am sending this to virtually everybody on my e-mail list and that includes conservatives, liberals, and everybody in between. Even though we disagree on a number of issues, let's all promote a "Congressional Reform Act of 2010". It would contain eight provisions, all of which would probably be strongly endorsed by those who drafted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Friends, please add your recommendations on how this bill can be improved.
I know many of you will say, "this is impossible". Let me remind you, Congress has the lowest approval of any entity in Government, now is the time when Americans will join together to reform Congress - the entity that represents us.
We need to get a Senator to introduce this bill in the US Senate and a Representative to introduce a similar bill in the US House. These people will become American hero's.. Please send any ideas on how to get this done.

Thanks,
A Fellow American
Congressional Reform Act of 2010
1. Term Limits: 12 years only, one of the possible options below.
A. Two Six year Senate terms
B. Six Two year House terms
C. One Six year Senate term and three Two Year House terms
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

2. No Tenure / No Pension:
A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office... Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security:
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, server your term(s), then go home and back to work.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just as all Americans. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

7. Congress must equally abide in all laws they impose on the American people. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective 1/1/11. The American people did not make this contract with congressmen, congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.
If you agree with the above, pass it on to all in your address list.

Here is another too. Shorter, I promise!!

An Old Dying Priest posted:

In Washington DC, an old priest lay dying in the hospital. For years he had faithfully served the people of the nation's capital. He motioned for his nurse to come near.
"Yes, Father?" said the nurse.
"I would really like to see Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi before I die", whispered the priest.
"I'll see what I can do, Father", replied the nurse.
The nurse sent the request to The House and Senate waited for a response.
Soon the word arrived; Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi would be delighted to visit the priest.
As they went to the hospital, Reid commented to Pelosi, "I don't know why the old priest wants to see us, but it will certainly help our images and might even get me re-elected."
Pelosi agreed that it was a good thing.
When they arrived at the priest's room, the priest took Reid's hand in his right hand and Pelosi's hand in his left.
There was silence and a look of serenity on the old priest's face.
Finally Nancy Pelosi spoke. "Father, of all the people you could have chosen, why did you choose us to be with you as you near the end?"
The old priest slowly replied, "I have always tried to pattern my life after Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ."
"Amen", said Reid.
"Amen", said Pelosi.
The old priest continued, "Jesus died between two lying thieves; I would like to do the same."

I'm thinking of just sending my dad a link to the South Park episode Mystery of the Urinal Deuce as an example of how utterly hosed up their lines of reasoning can be to draw any of the conclusions that they do.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Why would anyone want to be a Senator with those kinds of restrictions? Plus, most of those aren't applied to CEOs of businesses, much less civil servants.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I believe that proposal's point is that being a senator should be a service for the country, not for one's own interests; ie, putting the interests of the nation ahead of your own. Same idea as the guardians in Plato's Republic (that is to say this is not a new idea).

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

kik2dagroin posted:

My dad is starting to send me some right wing junk. There are a couple he's sent that I've seen on this very board, so I did a quick check and I don't think I saw any of these here. I really apologize for the formatting but all these stupid chain letters make me wish I couldn't read:

Here is another too. Shorter, I promise!!

I'm thinking of just sending my dad a link to the South Park episode Mystery of the Urinal Deuce as an example of how utterly hosed up their lines of reasoning can be to draw any of the conclusions that they do.

I, too, believe that the best legislative reform that we could pass right now is to require them to either be independently wealthy, or live off of "campaign contributions".

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

ducttape posted:

I, too, believe that the best legislative reform that we could pass right now is to require them to either be independently wealthy, or live off of "campaign contributions".

I completely agree with you. If the Tea Parties want to take up this legislative fight, I would be in support of their message, but not their methods. But as the said a few posts above, getting them to vote down their power is not very likely to happen anytime soon, if ever.

Having never heard anything from my father during the Bush Administration, I find the fact that he's forwarding me politically tinged e-mails calling for reform when his party of affiliation was waging war, running up the national debt, and in general making life for my generation much worse off than when he was my age incredibly galling, if not insulting since the Bush Administration got us here.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
This conversation is currently "ongoing" on facebook:

Gus - Why give miranda rights to terrorists and treat them like a civilian? GG.
-------
Julio likes this

Julio - Agreed bro, I imagine its easy to make out "you have the right to remain silent" under heavy machine gun fire, morters and rpg's.

Me - Why even have a trial at all? Just put them up against a wall and pull the trigger. Who needs due process?

Gus - I don't know. No one has balls anymore :(

Me - Guilty until proven innocent for the win!

Jamie - Terrorists are not soldiers, nor are they covered by the Geneva Conventions. Why they should be afforded rights under the very same Constitution which they seek to destroy is beyond me. We would not allow a soldier from another country to be tried in our civilian courts, and we definitely do not owe terrorists the privilege either.

Me - Richard Ried, Timothy McVeigh, Ted Kaczynski, Eric Rudolph

Gus - And its stupid we can't use the only method of "torture" the U.S. has which is not even torture. We've only done it 3 times and it works well. Sigh. If only it were the 1940s. Nagasaki/Hiroshima methods? Lol

Me - You mean the same methods of torture that we tried and hung Japanese soldiers for using on American prisoners of war?

Gus - YES! Lol jk. Just the water board thing, forgot what its called. They just lay you upside down and pour water on your face, actually highly effective. But apprently its immoral and not nice.

Jamie - The 4 you named are US citizens who have Constitutional protection by virtue of having been born in the US. Military detention and trial is not torture. It is a matter of national security.

Me - @Gus: No, it isn't. @Jamie: But they're terrorists, right? And terrorists, by your own admission, seek to destroy our constitution. They're enemy combatants. We should not afford them due process.

Jamie - The "guilty until proven innocent" remark is moot; many of these monsters admit readily that they perpetrated the acts that are ascribed to them. Once an admission has been made there should be no need for a trial. Terrorists who are US citizens are US citizens regardless of their intent. The terrorists to whom Gus is referring are by no means US citizens, nor have they ever been. Therefore they do not deserve protection as such.

Me - So, let me get this line of logic straight... Misguided teenager who failed to light his underwear on fire: torture him and throw him in a military tribunal. Oklahoma City bomber: He's an okay guy who should get a normal trial. What about Nidal Hassan... let me guess.... military tribunal? But wait... he's a U.S. Citizen.. what will you do?

Gus - Eh, not from what I've read, but alright.

Me - Gus, the problem with waterboarding is that it's torture. This means that it puts you under so much mental and physical stress that you'd literally admit to anything. If I wanted to, I could waterboard you and only stop once you admit that you like getting pegged in the rear end by dudes. And I'd waterboard you, and I'm 100% sure that you'd crack and "admit" to it. Does this mean you were telling the truth? Of course not. It means that you were just saying whatever you could to make the pain stop. This is why it doesn't work and will never work.

the fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 8, 2010

Craftics
Jan 31, 2006

fuckin yeah

the posted:

This conversation is currently "ongoing" on facebook:

Gus - Why give miranda rights to terrorists and treat them like a civilian? GG.
-------
Julio likes this

Julio - Agreed bro, I imagine its easy to make out "you have the right to remain silent" under heavy machine gun fire, morters and rpg's.

Me - Why even have a trial at all? Just put them up against a wall and pull the trigger. Who needs due process?

Gus - I don't know. No one has balls anymore :(

Me - Guilty until proven innocent for the win!

Jamie - Terrorists are not soldiers, nor are they covered by the Geneva Conventions. Why they should be afforded rights under the very same Constitution which they seek to destroy is beyond me. We would not allow a soldier from another country to be tried in our civilian courts, and we definitely do not owe terrorists the privilege either.

Me - Richard Ried, Timothy McVeigh, Ted Kaczynski, Eric Rudolph

Gus - And its stupid we can't use the only method of "torture" the U.S. has which is not even torture. We've only done it 3 times and it works well. Sigh. If only it were the 1940s. Nagasaki/Hiroshima methods? Lol

Me - You mean the same methods of torture that we tried and hung Japanese soldiers for using on American prisoners of war?

Gus - YES! Lol jk. Just the water board thing, forgot what its called. They just lay you upside down and pour water on your face, actually highly effective. But apprently its immoral and not nice.

Jamie - The 4 you named are US citizens who have Constitutional protection by virtue of having been born in the US. Military detention and trial is not torture. It is a matter of national security.

Me - @Gus: No, it isn't. @Jamie: But they're terrorists, right? And terrorists, by your own admission, seek to destroy our constitution. They're enemy combatants. We should not afford them due process.

Jamie - The "guilty until proven innocent" remark is moot; many of these monsters admit readily that they perpetrated the acts that are ascribed to them. Once an admission has been made there should be no need for a trial. Terrorists who are US citizens are US citizens regardless of their intent. The terrorists to whom Gus is referring are by no means US citizens, nor have they ever been. Therefore they do not deserve protection as such.

Me - So, let me get this line of logic straight... Misguided teenager who failed to light his underwear on fire: torture him and throw him in a military tribunal. Oklahoma City bomber: He's an okay guy who should get a normal trial. What about Nidal Hassan... let me guess.... military tribunal? But wait... he's a U.S. Citizen.. what will you do?

Gus - Eh, not from what I've read, but alright.

Me - Gus, the problem with waterboarding is that it's torture. This means that it puts you under so much mental and physical stress that you'd literally admit to anything. If I wanted to, I could waterboard you and only stop once you admit that you like getting pegged in the rear end by dudes. And I'd waterboard you, and I'm 100% sure that you'd crack and "admit" to it. Does this mean you were telling the truth? Of course not. It means that you were just saying whatever you could to make the pain stop. This is why it doesn't work and will never work.

I'm really starting to hate the obsession with the words terrorist and terrorism. The words are so nebulously defined.

The fact that people can't see just how loving dangerous it is to agree to something like "terrorists get no trials and are shot on sight" is supremely depressing.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

the posted:

:words: :suicide:

I don't understand the argument that people that aren't born in the US aren't subject to it's laws. What happened to all people are created equal and are equally protected under the law? It's astonishingly embarrassing that these people are proclaiming to protect American values, but their very first instinct is to betray the most fundamental part of the American judicial system. I wish I had the :psyduck: image that is spewing out other :psyduck:'s

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Craftics posted:

I'm really starting to hate the obsession with the words terrorist and terrorism. The words are so nebulously defined.

The fact that people can't see just how loving dangerous it is to agree to something like "terrorists get no trials and are shot on sight" is supremely depressing.

Well you should squeeze in a link to this article http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264863 Nothing wrong with using waterboarding as a disciplinary tool on a 4 year old - it's just water and not cruel at all :rolleyes:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Anosmoman posted:

Well you should squeeze in a link to this article http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264863 Nothing wrong with using waterboarding as a disciplinary tool on a 4 year old - it's just water and not cruel at all :rolleyes:

I... I... :smith: gently caress.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Gene Simmons posted:

I got this and it pissed me right the gently caress off:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/iacocca.asp

Many of you may remember Lee Iacocca's 2007 Republican-bashing book "Where Have All The Leaders Gone?" - welp, apparently some right-wingers decided to just erase the lines mocking Republicans and change them to Democrats and still attribute them to Iacocca for credibility purposes.

Bolded lines have been changed from the original per Snopes; check the link above to see what it used to say.

Ahaha I usually just ignore all conservative propaganda spam I get from my father but I had to blast him on this one because it was so over-the-top-ridiculous.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/missmeyet.asp
:ughh: I know we're not supposed to give 1 smiley posts but just....drat.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I saw this one a while back, but I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. My first inclination is to laugh and applaud the clever troll who paid the money for it, but I'm pretty sure this is actually serious (as in people who really do miss Bush).

tek79 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 10, 2010

Pungent Mammy
Jul 29, 2003

The pig is a huge fat pig.
Fallen Rib
My dad just sent me this email with a link to a two and a half year old video:

quote:

Outrageous!

It's time for a house cleaning - I'm surprised this was aired.

STRAIGHT FROM C-SPAN

NOT TO BE BELIEVED! 1-1/2 minutes long and straight from C-Span - how a vote was passed. This is how the House will pass healthcare. Just watch this. This is our Democratic-Controlled House at work. It's their way all the way, ( the video is very short and very maddening ). If anyone wonders about our current Congress and especially the House of Representatives this youtube clip will open their eyes. Watch this, then cry. We are losing our nation and everything it stands for.

Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgUCdefSW8

After watching this atrocity please pass it on to everyone. The entire Nation needs to see this one. This is just blatant corruption and criminal action at its best.

I sent him a short email saying:

quote:

Um, he [Murtha] just died on Monday, so... there you go?

And I got this as a reply:

quote:

Yes that’s true and good thing, sorry to have to say. But…there’s a bunch more if you look at some of the other clips.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I don't have sound at work. What is going on there? Some kind of voice vote?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I think the best thing you can do is just ask not to send forwarded mails. My dad just made a bunch of excuses when I called him out and said he doesn't even like Lee Iacocca that much and that he simply agrees with the message of the mail. Also that I need to prepare for hell since Obama is the worst president ever, even worse than Obama!

I feel bad that he's living his final days angry about nothing and that he has no problems with blatant lies. I really hope I don't turn into something like that once I'm nearly 80.

Pungent Mammy
Jul 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gripen5 posted:

I don't have sound at work. What is going on there? Some kind of voice vote?

He asks the ayes to stand and the nays to speak or something, and then some guy asks for a count of each and Murtha ignores him and says the ayes have it.

I don't know enough about Congressional procedure to know if this is really An Insult To Our Democracy, but with the dramatic title and it being from Eric Cantor's channel I'm inclined to be suspicious.

Gifts for Audiophiles
Dec 10, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I saw this on Fox & Friends this morning, and after talking about it they put up an altered image that swapped the picture of Bush with a picture of the Constitution.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure there are lots of machine guns and RPGs going off when the CIA abducts people off the street or out of their homes.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Pungent Mammy posted:

He asks the ayes to stand and the nays to speak or something, and then some guy asks for a count of each and Murtha ignores him and says the ayes have it.

I don't know enough about Congressional procedure to know if this is really An Insult To Our Democracy, but with the dramatic title and it being from Eric Cantor's channel I'm inclined to be suspicious.

The Chair of the House makes the final interpretive decisions as to what constitutes a majority or minority vote. If you watch CSPAN, you're going to see something like this happen frequently, and usually the chair won't even bother counting. They'll say "In the opinion of the chair the ayes/nays have it" and then someone on the opposing side will ask for a recorded yeas/nays. Normally the chair grants this. However, in contentious votes or votes where the leadership really doesn't want to deal with the subject at hand, the Chair will pull a stunt like in that video. It's happened many times in our country and surprise! We still exist.

It's funny to call that video "An Insult to Our Democracy" when the Constitution of the United States gives the legislatures the power to set their own rules. These are rules that are agreed upon when each Congress enters session, and Murtha was simply interpreting parliamentary procedure and the rules of the House to benefit his side. It's not an insult; it's what's been done for 200 years.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Gifts for Audiophiles posted:

I saw this on Fox & Friends this morning, and after talking about it they put up an altered image that swapped the picture of Bush with a picture of the Constitution.

Man, that's hilarious! :ughh:

Pungent Mammy
Jul 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Toad on a Hat posted:

The Chair of the House makes the final interpretive decisions as to what constitutes a majority or minority vote. If you watch CSPAN, you're going to see something like this happen frequently, and usually the chair won't even bother counting. They'll say "In the opinion of the chair the ayes/nays have it" and then someone on the opposing side will ask for a recorded yeas/nays. Normally the chair grants this. However, in contentious votes or votes where the leadership really doesn't want to deal with the subject at hand, the Chair will pull a stunt like in that video. It's happened many times in our country and surprise! We still exist.

It's funny to call that video "An Insult to Our Democracy" when the Constitution of the United States gives the legislatures the power to set their own rules. These are rules that are agreed upon when each Congress enters session, and Murtha was simply interpreting parliamentary procedure and the rules of the House to benefit his side. It's not an insult; it's what's been done for 200 years.

Thanks a lot for clearing this up. I admit it ostensibly is anti-democratic, but that's the way they've operated since inception.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Pungent Mammy posted:

Thanks a lot for clearing this up. I admit it ostensibly is anti-democratic, but that's the way they've operated since inception.

In some ways it probably is but you have to remember that if the Chair didn't have final say over it you'd have the Senate's problem x435 because opposing legislators could just quasi-filibuster everything, and in the House that would present an incredible problem and make the Senate look downright normal in comparison. The House was created specifically to cater to the will of the people - that's the reason that they're up for election every two years, and that's part of the reason that majority rules.

Also if you watch CSPAN you'll see someone pass slips to the presiding chair before they make a ruling or call a vote (both the House and the Senate) - that's usually the parliamentarian (or a designee), who studies, lives and breathes the rules of each chamber and gives the chair the section of the rulebook that specifically pertains to the issue at hand.

As a side note, Joe Biden + 50 Democrats could actually eliminate the filibuster, but they won't because they all know the enormous implications of such a move would reverberate until the country ends.

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 16, 2010

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

quote:

WE, OF COURSE, SCRAPPED THE F-22 IN FAVOR OF BANK BAILOUTS......

Russia now has #1 fighter plane in the world... SU-30 Vectored Thrust with Canards...
As you watch this airplane, look at the canards moving along side of, and just below the canopy rail. The "canards" are the small wings forward of the main wings? The smoke and contrails provide a sense of the actual flight path, sometimes in reverse direction.

This video is of an in-flight demonstration flown by the Russian's 30MK fighter aircraft. You will not believe what you are about to see. The fighter can stall from high speed, stopping forward motion in seconds. (full stall).. Then it demonstrates an ability to descend tail first without causing a compressor stall. It can also recover from a flat spin in less than a minute.. These maneuver capabilities don't exist in any other aircraft in the world today.. Take a look at the video with the sound up. This aircraft is of concern to U.S and NATO planners. We don't know which nations will soon be flying the SU-30MK.
Hopefully China isn't one of them.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Note:

Friends worked with advanced aircraft flight control systems and concepts for many years as an extension of stability control and means of control. Canards and vectored thrust were among many concepts examined to extend our fighter aircraft performance. Neither our current or next generation aircraft now poised for funding & production can in any way match the performance of this Russian aircraft, NOW FLYING, in any near combat situation. Somehow the bankrupt Russian aircraft industry has out produced our complex politically tainted aerospace industry with this technology marvel. Scratch any ideas of close in air-to-air combat with this aircraft in the future.

Raaaaaaaaaarghjhhhh

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Vilerat posted:

Raaaaaaaaaarghjhhhh

"I don't care if they want houses to live in, make more planes damnit!"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Vilerat posted:

Raaaaaaaaaarghjhhhh

I love this. It's ridiculous on so many levels.

First, there's all the obvious stuff about how the author/audience care more about having the shiniest weapons than economic collapse/health care/justice. Second, I'm pretty sure the Cold War is over and we don't have to spend all our money keeping up with the Russians anymore. But my favorite part of all is

quote:

Scratch any ideas of close in air-to-air combat with this aircraft in the future.

When is the last time there was a major close-in air-to-air engagement? Vietnam?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think it was the Falklands? But you weren't in that.

I know fighter jets are a colossal waste of money and war is bad and all that, but I'm a boy, and part of me thinks they're awesome and it's a shame that we haven't seen any fighter jets go up against each other for more than a generation.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
No my favourite part is:

Vilerat posted:

Hopefully China isn't one of them.

Is the U.S. at war with China?

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Mornacale posted:

When is the last time there was a major close-in air-to-air engagement? Vietnam?

From what I understand, American arial combat philosophy is "Shoot them before they see you"

Vilerat posted:

Raaaaaaaaaarghjhhhh

would you mind linking the video? Personally, I would quite enjoy seeing a plane fly backwards.

EDIT: it turns out that yes, this plane is vastly superior to anything the Americans have. Why, only a couple years ago, The USAF was playing wargames with the I(ndian)AF who were flying this plane. The IAF won 90% of the encounters (and only had a 3-1 numerical advantage, and the Americans were allowed to use any non-long range weapon). We might as well just wait around for the inevitable Chinese invasion.

ducttape fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 19, 2010

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

ducttape posted:

EDIT: it turns out that yes, this plane is vastly superior to anything the Americans have. Why, only a couple years ago, The USAF was playing wargames with the I(ndian)AF who were flying this plane. The IAF won 90% of the encounters (and only had a 3-1 numerical advantage, and the Americans were allowed to use any non-long range weapon). We might as well just wait around for the inevitable Chinese invasion.

Well that's pretty much why they won right there. Also I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Air Force was restricted to using Pakistani tactics or something like that.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

dphrag posted:

They have slanted eyes, so yes.

My Grandpa posted:

This a-mail is to inform all my liberal friends and relatives, that since you must be so embarrassed by now with the performance of your President, that to avoid hurting your feelings I am longer going to e-mail you political information.

It has been brought to my attention that I have been waiting Cyber space and perhaps loosing good friends.

That's okay, we still love you granpa :unsmith:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
"I have been waiting Cyber space" - what?

I know that it must be a typo, but I can't figure out what he meant to say.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dr. Tough posted:

Well that's pretty much why they won right there. Also I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Air Force was restricted to using Pakistani tactics or something like that.

IIRC, the US pilots also didn't have AWACS and a couple of other restrictions. Most of the HORRIBLE US DEFEAT/HUMILIATION IN COMBAT EXERCISES should have a long list of *'s next to them.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Dr. Tough posted:

I'm pretty sure it was purposefully stacked against the Americans because the people running the exercise wanted them to have a poor showing to justify a next-generation fighter plane. For instance, I'm pretty sure we just sent over an typical flight unit, while the IAF was using their best of the best.

Air to air superiority is a thing of the past. We can shoot just about any plane out of the sky with missiles, and the only useful role that planes seem to have anymore is destroying land targets. Satellites do a way better job of recon.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SpergyGirl posted:

"I have been waiting Cyber space" - what?

I know that it must be a typo, but I can't figure out what he meant to say.

I'd assume "wasting". I dont know how he got the I and the S mixed up but its the only way that sentence makes sense to me.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'd assume "wasting". I dont know how he got the I and the S mixed up but its the only way that sentence makes sense to me.

I don't know how the hell I didn't think of that, but this is most likely what he meant. I've been trying to figure it out all morning. My guess is that another relative finally told him to stop filling up their inbox with poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

dphrag posted:

No my favourite part is:

China is the "future peer-competitor" of the USA. That means that they have been identified as the nation most likely to match our military capabilities in the near future, so a lot of doctrine and equipment is being geared towards countering them.

You have to be ready for what the likely future conflict is, but it also means that having a large, USSR style enemy is good for the Military-Industrial complex.