Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namek-jin Arse
Feb 11, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Swilo posted:

Key changes in my video game music? It's more likely than you think!

It doesn't work and the song is all over the place. Anyway look at the other vids in that list. Worst Mega Man soundtrack ever its loving garbage and if you disagree you're tone deaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Namek-jin Arse posted:

It doesn't work and the song is all over the place. Anyway look at the other vids in that list. Worst Mega Man soundtrack ever its loving garbage and if you disagree you're tone deaf.

I can tell you've never played Megaman II.

Also, I dig the music in those videos and whoever's playing apparently sucks rear end at Megaman games.

Namek-jin Arse
Feb 11, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Smoke posted:

I can tell you've never played Megaman II.

Also, I dig the music in those videos and whoever's playing apparently sucks rear end at Megaman games.

Why's that? I've played Mega Man 2, and it has excellent music. Its funky and catchy. None of Mega Man 10's music sounds like anything remotely catchy or interesting apart from the song they played in the debut trailer. That song gave me really high hopes for the soundtrack. I'm still going to buy this game cause I'm a big fan, but I'm just upset about how lovely it's turning out to be.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Namek-jin Arse posted:

Why's that? I've played Mega Man 2, and it has excellent music. Its funky and catchy. None of Mega Man 10's music sounds like anything remotely catchy or interesting apart from the song they played in the debut trailer. That song gave me really high hopes for the soundtrack. I'm still going to buy this game cause I'm a big fan, but I'm just upset about how lovely it's turning out to be.

When people use roman numerals, they're referring to the Gameboy series.

That said:
1. Sounds fine to me. Key changes are pretty common in NES music.
2. You don't absolutely love a tiny sample of one song in the game, so I guess the developers have betrayed you on a personal level. Why does loving one song and hating another push the game into "soulless cash-in" territory, exactly?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Namek-jin Arse posted:

You know, the song in that debut trailer was great, but unfortunately it seems that the rest of the music in Mega Man 10 is utter trash.

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/54796/mega-man-10/videos/megaman10_gmp_jumpingcrazies_21810.html Blade Man's them goes out of tune at 0:13

This game isn't a labour of love like MM9 was. This is garbage and I'm pissed.

The music in one level of this game is not up to my standard for chiptunes, therefore this entire game is cash-in garbage, unlike the one before it which, as the eighth sequel in a series of very similar games, was a "labor of love"

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Namek-jin Arse posted:

MMII is the Gameboy title, which has absolutely horrible music. I got used to it though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
gettin mad about Mega Man songs :goonsay:

Honestly 75% of Mega Man's music is completely forgettable, so it's kinda neat that they're trying something more distinctive.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Namek-jin Arse posted:

I'm not sure why you think an intentional accidental is "out of tune".

I think 10's soundtrack (at least the small amount we've heard so far) sounds fine. It sounds a little more subdued than 9's, but I'll reserve my opinion until I've played the game.

Smoke posted:

... whoever's playing apparently sucks rear end at Megaman games.
Everyone sucks at Mega Man games on their first play-through unless they've seen the levels played beforehand or are some kind of cyborg.

Namek-jin Arse
Feb 11, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Kanos posted:

When people use roman numerals, they're referring to the Gameboy series.

That said:
1. Sounds fine to me. Key changes are pretty common in NES music.
2. You don't absolutely love a tiny sample of one song in the game, so I guess the developers have betrayed you on a personal level. Why does loving one song and hating another push the game into "soulless cash-in" territory, exactly?

Okay, yeah sorry I didn't realise you were talking about the gameboy one, which I did actually play though and I found it interesting cause it used original music. The music in that game still sounded better than this by the way.

Also please check the side, there's a whole series of videos of different levels, all of which have poo poo music although blade man's sounds the worst. So no, I'm not upset about one song, I'm upset about the entire soundtrack.

raditts posted:

The music in one level of this game is not up to my standard for chiptunes, therefore this entire game is cash-in garbage, unlike the one before it which, as the eighth sequel in a series of very similar games, was a "labor of love"

Well I thought in the original series that up to Mega Man 4 it was a labour of love and after that it turned to poo poo real quick. Mega Man 9 looked like an attempt to take the series back to its roots and it did a good job and had mostly excellent music. Now we have lovely looking levels with shittier sounding music and its a shame. It's just sad to see I'm the only fan to realise that now but you'll find out soon enough.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Namek-jin Arse posted:

Also please check the side, there's a whole series of videos of different levels, all of which have poo poo music although blade man's sounds the worst. So no, I'm not upset about one song, I'm upset about the entire soundtrack.
There's only 4 new levels, the rest are from CES last month which are all the same music and may not be final. Even these may not be final, and the intro sucks as much as 9's. In short I'm not worried yet.

Namek-jin Arse
Feb 11, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Gabriel Pope posted:

gettin mad about Mega Man songs :goonsay:

Honestly 75% of Mega Man's music is completely forgettable, so it's kinda neat that they're trying something more distinctive.

xezton posted:

I'm not sure why you think an intentional accidental is "out of tune".

I think 10's soundtrack (at least the small amount we've heard so far) sounds fine. It sounds a little more subdued than 9's, but I'll reserve my opinion until I've played the game.

It sounds like loving poo poo and doesn't work. It doesn't sound like Mega Man music. Its all over the place and sounds very similar to the original music of a lovely Mega Man fangame where the composer figured out how to write NES chip tunes but doesn't really know what he's doing. Listen to the song in the debut trailer, it sounds great. The other music sounds like garbage and it feels like a fangame.

Namek-jin Arse
Feb 11, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Swilo posted:

There's only 4 new levels, the rest are from CES last month which are all the same music and may not be final. Even these may not be final, and the intro sucks as much as 9's. In short I'm not worried yet.

I'm pretty sure it is finished but I really hope I'm wrong and that you are right.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Namek-jin Arse posted:

It's just sad to see I'm the only fan to realise that now but you'll find out soon enough.

There is no :smug: big enough for this sentence.

Have we seen that much of the game? I haven't been following videos that closely, but really, I'm curious how you decided this game isn't a "labor of love" because you didn't like one of the songs.

I typed this post, read it over again, and I still can't believe how much you sound like :smugbert: with that last sentence.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Namek-jin Arse posted:

Okay, yeah sorry I didn't realise you were talking about the gameboy one, which I did actually play though and I found it interesting cause it used original music. The music in that game still sounded better than this by the way.

Well I thought in the original series that up to Mega Man 4 it was a labour of love and after that it turned to poo poo real quick. Mega Man 9 looked like an attempt to take the series back to its roots and it did a good job and had mostly excellent music. Now we have lovely looking levels with shittier sounding music and its a shame. It's just sad to see I'm the only fan to realise that now but you'll find out soon enough.
This. This is something amazing gentlemen. You have wall scrolls don't you? And at least one sword? Oh, and you wish you lived in Japan?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Boxman posted:

Have we seen that much of the game? I haven't been following videos that closely, but really, I'm curious how you decided this game isn't a "labor of love" because you didn't like one of the songs.

I typed this post, read it over again, and I still can't believe how much you sound like :smugbert: with that last sentence.

Well, he's right.

It is sad.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Namek-jin Arse posted:

It sounds like loving poo poo and doesn't work. It doesn't sound like Mega Man music. Its all over the place and sounds very similar to the original music of a lovely Mega Man fangame where the composer figured out how to write NES chip tunes but doesn't really know what he's doing. Listen to the song in the debut trailer, it sounds great. The other music sounds like garbage and it feels like a fangame.

I like how this is the only thread you've posted in other than BYOB since you've registered.

Namek-jin Arse
Feb 11, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Boxman posted:

Like I said it's not just one song.

Orgophlax posted:

This. This is something amazing gentlemen. You have wall scrolls don't you? And at least one sword? Oh, and you wish you lived in Japan?

No. None of these things are correct.

Namek-jin Arse
Feb 11, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Oh and btw Bass is the third DLC character.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

xezton posted:

Everyone sucks at Mega Man games on their first play-through unless they've seen the levels played beforehand or are some kind of cyborg.

I'm just noticing that the player fucks up repeatedly on the same things, especially parts where there's a clear and easy pattern for the enemy or puzzle.

Then again, I've been playing Megaman games for close to 20 years and spot and adapt to the patterns pretty quickly.

Namek-jin Arse posted:

No, it didn't. MMII's melodies are semi-decent but the execution is horrible, especially the drum/noise channel use and the pitch of the notes used. It's also one of the loudest GB games ever. Here's a reminder.

Namek-jin Arse
Feb 11, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Smoke posted:

No, it didn't. MMII's melodies are semi-decent but the execution is horrible, especially the drum/noise channel use and the pitch of the notes used. It's also one of the loudest GB games ever. Here's a reminder.

Yeah, ok you are right. It does sound pretty horrible, but the melody looking past the ear grating sounds is pretty cool. Thanks for the reminder though.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Not enough Protomen Act II love in this thread, so I am using my turn to post a link.

The Hounds
This song is about Wiley turning on the robots and taking over the city, after ousting Dr. Light. If you don't like it, something is wrong with you.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Benson Cunningham posted:

Not enough Protomen Act II love in this thread, so I am using my turn to post a link.

The Hounds
This song is about Wiley turning on the robots and taking over the city, after ousting Dr. Light. If you don't like it, something is wrong with you.

Hell yes. Although Keep Quiet is my favorite on the album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgk1qlJrxlE

There is just so much to this album its crazy. I hear something new every time I listen to it.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

xezton posted:

Too true.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

xezton posted:

<--- Cyborg. :awesomelon:

Honestly... the music in MM10 doesn't seem that bad. I mean, it's not fantastic, but it's not horrible. It's about on par with MM4, which had music that was kinda meh. Hardly memorable but not hard on the ears. Graphically, it seems about on par with 5, 6 and 9 which were the best looking NES style games (mind you I said "best looking", 2 and 3 are better games overall than 5 and 6).

Then again, I'm not too picky with classic series games. I really enjoy every entry in the main classic series, yes, even 8. The only classic series games I'm not that crazy for are Game Boy Mega Man I and II, and Megaman and Bass. And before you ask, no, the MS-DOS games, Battle and Chase, Rockboard and the like don't count.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The person playing in those videos is loving horrible, it doesn't look like they know how to hit two buttons at once, including the d-pad.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002
One of the added bonuses, for me, is that I've owned the same TV since I was about 8 years old and I've played every Megaman game on it when they were released. Playing a new 8 bit one on my old rear end Magnavox gives me all sorts of childhood glee!

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009
Been listening to the music from MegaMan X4 this afternoon. Oh man, sooooo cheesy good.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
I finally got around to picking up my copy of Megaman Official Complete Works at my old address. It is totally awesome, and explains a hell of a lot. Apparently the GB games were outsourced, and MMII was outsourced to a different team than MMI that did a pretty crappy job. MMIII, IV and V were outsourced to the same team that did MMI for that reason.

Also, Inafune dislikes Super Adventure Rockman.

Best part though? Full page cover art for the MM1 and 2 European releases. And an assload of sketches and concepts.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

I too thought the music in the footage we've seen so far seemed sort of badly-written, but then I noticed that most songs seem to alternate between parts that are "designed" to be catchy and parts with more out-there chord progressions and melodies. As we've heard none of the songs in full yet, this might still work when you're actually playing the game so it's maybe a bit too early to write the music off... maybe.

But still, this touches upon one of the many problems with "retro games". Back then, sound designers didn't have to think long and hard about what types of chord progressions, melodies, drum beats, etc. work well for an "authentic" chip tune, they simply went ahead and wrote what they thought sounded good. It's like how the dozens of NES remixes of other songs contain out-of-tune parts and glitches you'd never actually hear in an acutal NES game put out when people still made games for it.

fixelbrumpf fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 20, 2010

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fixelbrumpf posted:

I too thought the music in the footage we've seen so far seemed sort of badly-written, but then I noticed that most songs seem to alternate between parts that are "designed" to be catchy and parts with more out-there chord progressions and melodies.

:raise:

For the most part I thought they were rather sophisticated pieces compared to average NES music (and even above-average NES music, as is customary in Mega Man games), and executed pretty well although I am kind of iffy on a couple tiny bits. Whether such complex tunes are really ideal for vidyagame BGM is questionable, but I thought they were pretty cool. But then again I am a TERRIBLE MEGA MAN FAN.

Namek-jin Arse
Feb 11, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I admit that i like some parts of most of the songs but there are just really annoying parts in some of them that kinda ruin it for me. For instance chill man's tune sounds pretty cool for the most part but the introduction sounds ridiculously terrible and also there seems to be some odd timing problems here and there. I just wish they'd fix that stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm listening to the music now and I think it's pretty cool and a nice change from the usual hyperactive poo poo but it does sound like it'd be better suited to an X game or something else that would allow for a bigger arrangement.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
The good folks at the Mega Man Network went ahead and did a :spergin: analysis of the side borders for MM10, wherein they examine the various enemies and a few other things. Most interestingly, to me, is that it appears Tango could be in the game.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Do any of you have the youtube vid from about 3-4 years ago a goon made for his gf for Valentine's Day that turned one of the Mega Man 2 levels into Silent Hill, complete with Pyramid Head for an endboss? Really, really well done too?

I've been on a fruitless search for it for awhile, and the only things I turn up now are my own requests. :(

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009
This is out in the states now, anybody else planning on getting this?

Caldwell
Nov 4, 2009
I pre ordered it on amazon months ago, but apparently my copy isn't going to arrive till mid March for some reason.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Namek-jin Arse posted:

I admit that i like some parts of most of the songs but there are just really annoying parts in some of them that kinda ruin it for me. For instance chill man's tune sounds pretty cool for the most part but the introduction sounds ridiculously terrible and also there seems to be some odd timing problems here and there. I just wish they'd fix that stuff.

I'm pretty sure you don't actually know very much about music and you might be better off just muting it and listening to some J-pop for the purposes of this game.

Namek-jin Arse
Feb 11, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Brosnan posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't actually know very much about music and you might be better off just muting it and listening to some J-pop for the purposes of this game.

I guess you are tonedeaf.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I find it amusing that there are so many Mega Man fans who are apparently tone deaf. Except of course that anyone who doesn't realize that MM10's soundtrack is RAPING THE MEGA MAN FRANCHISE is not a terribly proper Mega Man fan at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Namek-jin Arse posted:

It sounds worse than Mega Man 5's boring music and goes a step further and sounds out of tune and lovely. I'm a huge Mega Man fan and I'm really disappointed.

you don't know what you're talking about. From what I can tell from the short clip in the video you linked the song changes from a minor key to the phyrgian mode of the original key's parallel major mode.

This is a pretty common keychange and its not going out of tune.

I'm sorry you only like music that only has one key in it. you're missing out!