Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

Appl posted:

Escape Velocity

There's like 3 of them now.

This is it, thanks! I couldn't figure out how to google it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
What's the game I've seen mentioned here a few times, it's old old and it's based around the cave man/nomad days in a temperate area. It's a 2d screen where you have to find food, make shelter, etc.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MrZig posted:

What's the game I've seen mentioned here a few times, it's old old and it's based around the cave man/nomad days in a temperate area. It's a 2d screen where you have to find food, make shelter, etc.

UnReal World

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I have one. Is this game on either the SNES or Genesis, not sure which one. But it's an action game where you collect rings to give you more powerful magic. Other then that I can't remember much from it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zain posted:

I have one. Is this game on either the SNES or Genesis, not sure which one. But it's an action game where you collect rings to give you more powerful magic. Other then that I can't remember much from it.

Could it be...Rings of Power?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zain posted:

Warlock?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK. It was on the Genesis. You played either a male or female Wizard, and had to collect rabbits. That's all I remember; may have had a name like 'Izzy Wizzy', but I can't recall anything other than that. :psyduck:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

poptart_fairy posted:

OK. It was on the Genesis. You played either a male or female Wizard, and had to collect rabbits. That's all I remember; may have had a name like 'Izzy Wizzy', but I can't recall anything other than that. :psyduck:

Wiz 'n Liz.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Grawl posted:

Wiz 'n Liz.

Holy gently caress that's it. :neckbeard:

Now I just need to try and remember some more details about another game on the Genesis. That's even more loving obscure though - I can vaguely remember you playing a weird potato like thing, mostly puzzle based, where you had to collect various objects and use them as special abilities throughout the world. A chunk of the game was set in a really weird forest.

That seems to describe basically half the games out around that time though. :saddowns:

/edit - Holy poo poo, Puggsy was it. It was in the 'related videos' section of a Wiz and Liz video. :dance: :neckbeard:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Holy gently caress that's it. :neckbeard:

Now I just need to try and remember some more details about another game on the Genesis. That's even more loving obscure though - I can vaguely remember you playing a weird potato like thing, mostly puzzle based, where you had to collect various objects and use them as special abilities throughout the world. A chunk of the game was set in a really weird forest.

That seems to describe basically half the games out around that time though. :saddowns:

/edit - Holy poo poo, Puggsy was it. It was in the 'related videos' section of a Wiz and Liz video. :dance: :neckbeard:

The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy

There's like 20 of these games, official and unofficial.

Edit: never mind. I was going to say Puggsy but Dizzy was close to the same concept. Still a good game series and everyone should play it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 13, 2010

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

mcvey posted:

Warlords Battlecry 2.

Aww nuts you figured it out before I read the thread. That's a fun, though fairly mindless game. Making a hero that could take down armies was awesome.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Neo Rasa posted:

Could it be...Rings of Power?

Might very well be. It seems familiar enough.

Edit: Not so much. I do believe the game was a side scrolling game. And I don't think it was warlock.

Hunkty Krunkty
Jun 13, 2007

Through this stance, you channel the quiet dignity of a circus clown in the midst of a thunderstorm.
I can't remember the name of this gamecube game. It was a skateboarding game that was cell shaded and featured cartoonish characters (original ones, not Disney or something). It must've been hard to find because I tried to trade it in a long time ago and the store didn't even have it in their computer.

Edit: Wow just found it, it was Go! Go! Hypergrind.

Hunkty Krunkty fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 13, 2010

Bagpipejihad
Sep 12, 2005
Ask me what I wear under my kilt.
I remember playing a game as a kid that was some type of a side scrolling action RPG that was (most likely) for Sega. One of the characters you could choose from was a fighter/barbarian type, I think you stated off in a castle and I vaguely remember walking out past a draw bridge across a mote. There were villages you stop at and buy items/equipment, and one of the "levels" was this forest type maze where you would end up going in circles if you didn't choose the right path.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.
This came up earlier too, I think your game might be Cadash. The Genesis version is near-impossible to beat, since the original game was a quarter-cruncher and you have very limited continues in the port.

smiph
Jul 30, 2005

Jagshemas!
I can't remember the name of a game I played a couple of years ago. I think the game was for ps2 and the title was fire-something.

It was about a guy who woke up and couldn't remember anything. It was a sort of a conspiracy game and most of the fighting was done with button combinations which you needed to finish in a certain time.

I hope this gives anyone a clue on what the name is! :)

- Nevermind! Found out it was Farenheit.

smiph fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 15, 2010

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Some time in the early/mid 90's I remember playing a game where you had to do things to get parts to build a vehicle to race some evil professor or mad scientist thing. I hope this isn't too vague.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Economic game for pc where you could build different corporations that produced items/made profit and you would basically compete with people in a persistent based world

In fact if anyone has any persistent based world building game suggestions I'm also all ears. Evony is lame, nile online got old, and ikariums alright I suppose. Trying to find a chance of pace and that's why I want to find this old game. :/

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
I'm trying to find a fairly old game I played for the PC years ago. It was a Japanese turn based strategy game on a hex map. You played the role of a sort of summoner/wizard that battled a opponent of equal abilities. The goal was to knock the other guy out by reducing his HP to zero, but each turn you could summon a monster of a element type to defend you and attack.

Each monster had different abilities and movement ranges and so forth, and each summoner you'd randomly get at the beginning or fight against had different stats, some moved really far, some could melee well etc. I'm really at a loss trying to locate this game again, as I don't recall its name (I believe it had an English title or was given one) and searching so far has not got me anywhere. The whole thing was in Japanese but it was playable and fun without translations.

edit: I suck, found it after rummaging through some old old backup CDs. Vantage Master Online for the interested, guess I didn't look hard enough the first time.

Mr. Owl fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 16, 2010

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
I'm trying to remember this shareware( I think) game that is on a square board, and you have different elementals starting at each corner. That is all I really remember.

I believe it ran in DOS. Yeah I remember having to boot my Win95 into dos to run it?

Jarofmoldymayo fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 16, 2010

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

Some time in the early/mid 90's I remember playing a game where you had to do things to get parts to build a vehicle to race some evil professor or mad scientist thing. I hope this isn't too vague.

Gizmo's and Gadgets.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Oh god now this is going to drive me crazy, it was some kinda strategy/puzzle game. I think you could split or merge you elementals and the object was to take over the board?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Oh god now this is going to drive me crazy, it was some kinda strategy/puzzle game. I think you could split or merge you elementals and the object was to take over the board?

Archon Ultra?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Perhaps it's Hexxagon.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There was a... firefighting game for the SNES. Modern setting, kinda looked like Zelda 3. Starred a dude with a mustache and his sidekick. Went through buildings putting out fires until facing a "boss" fire at the end.

Was actually a really good game, if I recall correctly. But I can't remember the name; all I know is, it's not Ignition Factor.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Hakkesshu posted:

There was a... firefighting game for the SNES. Modern setting, kinda looked like Zelda 3. Starred a dude with a mustache and his sidekick. Went through buildings putting out fires until facing a "boss" fire at the end.

Was actually a really good game, if I recall correctly. But I can't remember the name; all I know is, it's not Ignition Factor.

The Firemen?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/firemen

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ugh, yes, thank you. For some reason I thought it had a less generic name than that, and couldn't find it.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008

Grawl posted:

Perhaps it's Hexxagon.

I don't think so.

It was definitely little pixelated elementals as the playing pieces.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Mr. Owl posted:

I'm trying to find a fairly old game I played for the PC years ago. It was a Japanese turn based strategy game on a hex map. You played the role of a sort of summoner/wizard that battled a opponent of equal abilities. The goal was to knock the other guy out by reducing his HP to zero, but each turn you could summon a monster of a element type to defend you and attack.

Each monster had different abilities and movement ranges and so forth, and each summoner you'd randomly get at the beginning or fight against had different stats, some moved really far, some could melee well etc. I'm really at a loss trying to locate this game again, as I don't recall its name (I believe it had an English title or was given one) and searching so far has not got me anywhere. The whole thing was in Japanese but it was playable and fun without translations.

edit: I suck, found it after rummaging through some old old backup CDs. Vantage Master Online for the interested, guess I didn't look hard enough the first time.

That's a drat good game. drat hard, but drat good. It has characters from Ys, Brandish, Popful Mail and Legend of Heroes!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There was a top-down game on the Amiga. I don't remember much about it, but you might've controlled a green circular object and you basically had to collect stuff. Levels took place on a grid (and were fairly huge, with scrolling), and you could fall off ledges. Gameplay-wise, it was essentially Super Monkey Ball without the tilting.

That's all I've got to go on. It might have been included alongside James Pond in an Amiga bundle, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Found it, "Cloud Kingdoms".

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 17, 2010

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

I don't think so.

It was definitely little pixelated elementals as the playing pieces.

Tarquinn posted:

Archon Ultra?

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008

Tarquinn posted:

Nope, it involved four players, one controlling each of the four elements.

Jarofmoldymayo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 17, 2010

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is a game I remember reading a preview of a few years ago. On PC. It was a 3rd person action game in a generic fantasy world. The level they previewed had you fighting as a human mercenary for some goblins underground. The goblins were engaged in a battle and you would make your way from their base to the battlefield. As you would go through the tunnels you would get closer to the front lines and start seeing wounded goblins in field hospitals and come across small pockets of fighting until you were in the big battle itself.

I recall the preview described the world as having battles/events going on like this all the time which you just played around the edges off. Does anyone know what this was/if it was ever even made?

Edit. Dungeon Hero. Now vapourware. Pity it looked pretty cool.

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 18, 2010

Lamestream Media
Dec 2, 2007

by angerbotSD
There was an RPG where you could sell all your items at the beginning and have enough to buy an "escape" item, then use it to escape when you're thrown into jail, whereupon the King tells you you're very clever but you've broken the game and have to reset.

Unfortunately, since every 16-bit RPG has you being thrown into jail within the first half hour, I'm having trouble remembering what it is. Anyone able to figure it out?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lamestream Media posted:

There was an RPG where you could sell all your items at the beginning and have enough to buy an "escape" item, then use it to escape when you're thrown into jail, whereupon the King tells you you're very clever but you've broken the game and have to reset.

Unfortunately, since every 16-bit RPG has you being thrown into jail within the first half hour, I'm having trouble remembering what it is. Anyone able to figure it out?

This is Phantasy Star III, most of the re-releases fix this though. :(

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Back in Windows 95 days, there was this FPS with watchtowers and giant mechs where you would run around and kill other mechs, find mechs or something like that.

I distinctly remember a desert with a watchtower, and being in this mech thing killing it.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Wickerman posted:

Back in Windows 95 days, there was this FPS with watchtowers and giant mechs where you would run around and kill other mechs, find mechs or something like that.

I distinctly remember a desert with a watchtower, and being in this mech thing killing it.

Earthsiege? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaltech:_Earthsiege

I vaguely remember the first level and/or the demo being desert-y with watchtowers.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
There was an RTS made by a couple of guys several years ago, before indie games really existed. It was 2D, based more or less on Starcraft. They had a development "blog", but this may have been before blogs really existed now that I think about it. All I remember about the gameplay is you had to capture and string together energy nodes to gather resources. Or at least one of the races did.

Argh, this is driving me nuts.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've asked this in every thread like this so far, but nobody remembers it..

Okay, an *old* graphical adventure game for DOS. 320 x 200 resolution, good EGA or poor VGA (more likely) graphics, but looked primitive however you sliced it.

The screen layout was a fairly low-res image of your current scene (first-person usually, I believe). On the right side of the screen was a panel of actions. In the bottom-left was the text description of what was going on.

The game was set in space - possibly on Mars - and you played as both an astronaut and a little robot, alternating between them to solve puzzles. The astronaut guy had limited air supply, so you had to solve stuff quickly in some cases. I think there MIGHT have been a third playable character - an alien - but I may be wrong.

I remember as a kid that the opening stretch was really stressful because you've got limited air, and have to get indoors before you run out, but there's security systems to make you waste time. I think you could use a laser pistol as space-guy to shoot stuff, but it was seldom useful.

It wasn't realtime - it played out like a text adventure with graphical elements, effectively.

Any clue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Snowmanatee posted:

There was an RTS made by a couple of guys several years ago, before indie games really existed. It was 2D, based more or less on Starcraft. They had a development "blog", but this may have been before blogs really existed now that I think about it. All I remember about the gameplay is you had to capture and string together energy nodes to gather resources. Or at least one of the races did.

Argh, this is driving me nuts.

Took me 30 minutes of hardcore googling but I finally got it. Strifeshadow! http://www.ethermoon.com/main/index.phtml