Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easty
Sep 25, 2008

It was for the Mega Drive/Genesis (maybe Saturn?), and you were on a spaceship and some alien monster thing got loose, and depending on how long you took to catch it the plot diverged from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Easty posted:

It was for the Mega Drive/Genesis (maybe Saturn?), and you were on a spaceship and some alien monster thing got loose, and depending on how long you took to catch it the plot diverged from there.

It was a ship of the ocean variety, and the game is Dark Savior, for Saturn.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
I remember years ago trying a demo of a game that came on the CD in my copy of PC Gamer (I'm pretty sure).

The game was an RTS, but instead of fighting on a traditional battlefield, you were fighting inside a giant stadium. There were several resources, including coal and iron, and you'd have to set up buildings to harvest the raw resources and then other buildings to process the resources, as well as trucks to carry the resources to and fro.

One feature I distinctly remember were tunneling units. You could tell them to start digging from a spot and where to dig to (such as in the enemy base), and they'd slowly dig a tunnel to that spot. Once the tunnel was nearly complete, you could load your tanks and units into the tunnel and order the tunneling unit to break through on the other side, flooding the enemy base with all your units.

I've done a bit of googling, and I'm pretty sure this game was called "Wartorn". Unfortunately, I can't find anything to confirm this. No screenshots, publisher, release date, nothing. I was hoping I'd be able to find it for free on an abandonware site since I'm pretty sure this was 1998 or earlier, but no such luck on HOTU.

Edit: vvv Was it not very good? I barely even remember it except for a few stand-out details.

McGravin fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 20, 2010

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

McGravin posted:

I remember years ago trying a demo of a game that came on the CD in my copy of PC Gamer (I'm pretty sure).

The game was an RTS, but instead of fighting on a traditional battlefield, you were fighting inside a giant stadium. There were several resources, including coal and iron, and you'd have to set up buildings to harvest the raw resources and then other buildings to process the resources, as well as trucks to carry the resources to and fro.

One feature I distinctly remember were tunneling units. You could tell them to start digging from a spot and where to dig to (such as in the enemy base), and they'd slowly dig a tunnel to that spot. Once the tunnel was nearly complete, you could load your tanks and units into the tunnel and order the tunneling unit to break through on the other side, flooding the enemy base with all your units.

I've done a bit of googling, and I'm pretty sure this game was called "Wartorn". Unfortunately, I can't find anything to confirm this. No screenshots, publisher, release date, nothing. I was hoping I'd be able to find it for free on an abandonware site since I'm pretty sure this was 1998 or earlier, but no such luck on HOTU.

To be on HOTU, somebody has to have liked a game at some point.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
This is a mod for the game Half Life 1, it involves robots and is completely cell shaded. I remember it wasn't a particularly popular mod, I think when I loaded up steam there were like 5 servers around the world, but it is really a fun game.

Overclocked Fox
May 2, 2004

Will they... Will they talk about me this way if I die, too?
Okay, I've got one. It's for kids, it is old is gently caress, it was on the PC and it definitely involved a penguin who wears a suit and plays the piano. The game was like a bunch of minigames based around teaching you how to play music/read notes etc. I REALLY want to say the penguin's name was Lenny but I have no idea why. The game takes place in Lenny (or whoever's) apartment, which is clearly made to look like its in NYC.

This is vague as gently caress so good loving luck but this thread made me think about games from my childhood and I've been spending hours trying to figure this one out.

EDIT: Maybe his name was Larry. I still really feel like it was Lenny though.

Overclocked Fox fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 20, 2010

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Dominic White posted:

I've asked this in every thread like this so far, but nobody remembers it..

Okay, an *old* graphical adventure game for DOS. 320 x 200 resolution, good EGA or poor VGA (more likely) graphics, but looked primitive however you sliced it.

The screen layout was a fairly low-res image of your current scene (first-person usually, I believe). On the right side of the screen was a panel of actions. In the bottom-left was the text description of what was going on.

The game was set in space - possibly on Mars - and you played as both an astronaut and a little robot, alternating between them to solve puzzles. The astronaut guy had limited air supply, so you had to solve stuff quickly in some cases. I think there MIGHT have been a third playable character - an alien - but I may be wrong.

I remember as a kid that the opening stretch was really stressful because you've got limited air, and have to get indoors before you run out, but there's security systems to make you waste time. I think you could use a laser pistol as space-guy to shoot stuff, but it was seldom useful.

It wasn't realtime - it played out like a text adventure with graphical elements, effectively.

Any clue?

Digging around brought up Colony which fits most of your description, but I can't find anything about a robot. Getting warm, or totally off base?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Overclocked Fox posted:

Okay, I've got one. It's for kids, it is old is gently caress, it was on the PC and it definitely involved a penguin who wears a suit and plays the piano. The game was like a bunch of minigames based around teaching you how to play music/read notes etc. I REALLY want to say the penguin's name was Lenny but I have no idea why. The game takes place in Lenny (or whoever's) apartment, which is clearly made to look like its in NYC.

This is vague as gently caress so good loving luck but this thread made me think about games from my childhood and I've been spending hours trying to figure this one out.

EDIT: Maybe his name was Larry. I still really feel like it was Lenny though.

Lenny's Music Toons?

Overclocked Fox
May 2, 2004

Will they... Will they talk about me this way if I die, too?

blackguy32 posted:

Lenny's Music Toons?

Holy poo poo I love you.

EDIT: He doesn't seem to have been a penguin at all, but rather some sort of rooster? My entire life has been a lie. :ohdear:

Overclocked Fox fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 20, 2010

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Kammat posted:

Digging around brought up Colony which fits most of your description, but I can't find anything about a robot. Getting warm, or totally off base?

It does sound a bit like The Colony, but I don't remember any robot in the game that you alternated with. I think I might have even suggested this when he asked in one of the earlier threads (like 2 years ago). That said The Colony was ahead of it's time and still an interesting game to play today if you can emulate the mac version.

Insonix
Dec 5, 2007

DON'T BET ON ME.
In RPG in which your character at the beginning is sort of defeated and then a dog comes and takes most of your power and transform into something human. For the snes I think, I can't remember any more details.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Insonix posted:

In RPG in which your character at the beginning is sort of defeated and then a dog comes and takes most of your power and transform into something human. For the snes I think, I can't remember any more details.

Shadowrun.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Insonix posted:

It sounds like Shadowrun! The bit you mention happens at 1:08

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

As posted, most likely the SNES Shadowrun, although the dog is actually helping you when he shows up, not taking your power. Also it's Dog. *The* spirit of all individual dogs and the essence of dogdom.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There was a game I saw on a demo disc for windows 95? 98? something like that. Anyways, it was a 3d shooter, and you were in some kind of cyber punk city. All I really can remember about it is you could practice hand to hand combat (with holograms?) in your apartment.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

KillHour posted:

There was a game I saw on a demo disc for windows 95? 98? something like that. Anyways, it was a 3d shooter, and you were in some kind of cyber punk city. All I really can remember about it is you could practice hand to hand combat (with holograms?) in your apartment.

Well it certainly isn't a shooter, but it sounds like Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Grawl posted:

Well it certainly isn't a shooter, but it sounds like Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

Holy poo poo, I think that's it. Thanks!

Edit: can anyone remember the name of that demo disc or the other games on it? It had like a pinball or something on it. There was another game that you could only access the first area of - it was an adventure game, I guess? You were in a space station and could talk to other people. And I think the room you started in had a bunch of lockers, maybe?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 20, 2010

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Wickerman posted:

Back in Windows 95 days, there was this FPS with watchtowers and giant mechs where you would run around and kill other mechs, find mechs or something like that.

I distinctly remember a desert with a watchtower, and being in this mech thing killing it.

Sounds like Shogo: Mobile Armor Division

b0nes posted:

This is a mod for the game Half Life 1, it involves robots and is completely cell shaded. I remember it wasn't a particularly popular mod, I think when I loaded up steam there were like 5 servers around the world, but it is really a fun game.

Probably BuzzyBots

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

Holy poo poo, I think that's it. Thanks!

Edit: can anyone remember the name of that demo disc or the other games on it? It had like a pinball or something on it. There was another game that you could only access the first area of - it was an adventure game, I guess? You were in a space station and could talk to other people. And I think the room you started in had a bunch of lockers, maybe?

I have a guess, but it is a very long shot as the game is pretty well known. Knights of the old Republic?

This is a flash game I played years ago.

You have rats or mice or something and you have to put ramps and poo poo down so a certain number of them get through the level okay. It is almost like those bridge building games.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Quibb posted:

This is a flash game I played years ago.

You have rats or mice or something and you have to put ramps and poo poo down so a certain number of them get through the level okay. It is almost like those bridge building games.

This sounds like a Lemmings clone to me. Lemmings predates flash but plenty of copycat games would have been made, I'm sure.

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

cmndstab posted:

This sounds like a Lemmings clone to me. Lemmings predates flash but plenty of copycat games would have been made, I'm sure.

Thank you! Yes, the one I was looking for was pretty much like that, but Lemmings looks even better.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Major Ryan posted:

Earthsiege? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaltech:_Earthsiege

I vaguely remember the first level and/or the demo being desert-y with watchtowers.

Yeah, holy poo poo. It's some incarnation of that for sure. :3:

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

My wife just brought this one to me today. See if you can sort this one out:

Bart Fargo's Wife posted:

It had to be somewhere in the late 80s or very early 90s. I remember playing it off of a giant 5 1/2" floppy. You were a detective/police officer/sheriff-person hired to stop the villain from turning all the people into little fuzzy creatures. (By fuzzy, I mean a blob of what looked like television static.) And if they touched you, you turned into one, too. You were given some diamonds, which was the only way to convert the transformed people back. In order to get more, you had to "plant" them and let them multiply, but other people would run up and steal them while you were waiting for them to grow, so you could lose all of your weapons if not careful.

The entire game took place within just a few screens of various train stations. You had a map/train schedule that you looked at to see where the villain was and how many people at each place had been transformed. Then you had to see when the next train left for that place and pay close attention to the time, because trains were constantly coming and going to different places. Sometimes you had to take a train to a larger city to catch one to the place you needed to go. But you ran the risk of missing the villain as he moved around infecting people.

You lost the game if all the people at all the stations were transformed before you caught up with and defeated the villain. I wish for the life of me I could at least remember what he was called!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Bart Fargo posted:

My wife just brought this one to me today. See if you can sort this one out:

Agent USA

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
PC game. Indie. First person. You begin the game getting off an elevator. Game ends maybe 30 minutes later by you being shot in the face. At some point you kill parrots/birds in cages, I think. I believe there is a rooftop chase.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

PC game. Indie. First person. You begin the game getting off an elevator. Game ends maybe 30 minutes later by you being shot in the face. At some point you kill parrots/birds in cages, I think. I believe there is a rooftop chase.

Gravity Bone.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Grawl posted:

Gravity Bone.
i wish i could vote your post 5

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
1) A 2D platformer from early 90s for PC in which the screen doesn't scroll and instead you move from one screen to next. The main character is some stubby secret agent with sunglasses and a brown hat. There was possibly some alien invasion the player was trying to stop. I also remember that in the intro there was this brown hat falling down slowly, maybe some lightning strikes or UFOs and the agent himself. I think most if not all maps took place at night. The graphics were something like in the first Duke Nukem games (the platformers).

2) Also from early 90s and for PC. Some sort of top-down shooter in which you control a space ship that has to stay within platforms that float in space. The platforms had differences in height I think. Here's a crappy pic I made:

And yeah, it had that horrible CGA palette.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

These Loving Eyes posted:

1) A 2D platformer from early 90s for PC in which the screen doesn't scroll and instead you move from one screen to next. The main character is some stubby secret agent with sunglasses and a brown hat. There was possibly some alien invasion the player was trying to stop. I also remember that in the intro there was this brown hat falling down slowly, maybe some lightning strikes or UFOs and the agent himself. I think most if not all maps took place at night. The graphics were something like in the first Duke Nukem games (the platformers).

Secret Agent appropriately enough.

2) Also from early 90s and for PC. Some sort of top-down shooter in which you control a space ship that has to stay within platforms that float in space. The platforms had differences in height I think. Here's a crappy pic I made:

Wild guess, but it sounds vaguely like Space Goose.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Sounds like Secret Agent or Dangerous Rick.

quote:

That's must be SkyRoads. edit: sorry, that's not top-down.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Cidrick posted:

Secret Agent appropriately enough.

Grawl posted:

Sounds like Secret Agent or Dangerous Rick.

Neither one of these. The guy looked a lot like Dangerous Rick though but the graphics may've been crappier. The thing about aliens, night and the hat flying around in the wind are the most distinctive features. You also shot with a laser pistol, maybe with limited ammo.

EDIT: Ah, it was Rick Dangerous 2! Could only find a C64 version of the intro I tried to describe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpPYklF_XOQ&feature=related

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 4, 2010

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Lowen SoDium posted:

Agent USA

Got it in one! Thank you kindly!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

That is the best drawing I have ever seen someone call "a crappy drawing I made" in one of these threads.

Not quite top down, but maybe Zaxxon?

edit : Except Zaxxon is quite a bit older... It does sound and look a lot like SkyRoads though...

Hal Incandenza fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 4, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Hal Incandenza posted:

That is the best drawing I have ever seen someone call "a crappy drawing I made" in one of these threads.

Not quite top down, but maybe Zaxxon?

edit : Except Zaxxon is quite a bit older... It does sound and look a lot like SkyRoads though...

I remember vividly that you had to shoot stuff and that the ship didn't move by itself (the map may have scrolled really slowly though). You just floated on the surface destroying turrets and whatnot. It definitely wasn't Zaxxon nor SkyRoads.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 4, 2010

Pvt. Benedetto
Jul 1, 2007

Bikes!
I'm looking for an old (I believe) DOS PC game that I played a couple times when I was younger.

It took place in an Arabian palace type setting with lots of booby-traps and cool items.

It wasn't just a side scroller (thus I know it wasn't Prince of Persia), and you could sorta move in three dimensions.

One scene I remember, which makes the game sounds insane, involved entering this room with an eye over the door, and throwing down some sort of glowing dust so you could see footprints on the ground which you had to follow as not to get shot by the eye. In the next room, after flipping or not flipping a switch, a cannonball fell on you and you died (I was not very good at this game.)

Another scene involved knocking a vase off a windowsill and hearing it crash down on someone as it fell outside.

Thank you for the help!

Sewer Shark
Jul 5, 2007

SHOOT THE TUBES, DOG MEAT!
I'm trying to remember this Gamecube that was kind of like Monster Hunters in that all you did was defeat monsters but they came in progressively harder waves. I can recall that one of the levels was essentially a large pit that got deeper each time you beat a wave of monsters.

That's about all I can remember (besides it being kind of pointlessly fun).

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
Does anyone remember the interactive fiction that came out a few years ago about solving puzzles by 'knock'ing letters out of words, placing them into a bag, and then placing them in other words to change the reality of the game? I can't remember the title, but I think it had two titles, one being the first title with a letter missing or added...

Searching the for knock and bag on an interactive fiction site is useless because those words are so damned common. Any ideas?

edit: VVV Thats definitely it, thanks a lot! VVV

bullets cure cops fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 13, 2010

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

My mom is a slut posted:

Does anyone remember the interactive fiction that came out a few years ago about solving puzzles by 'knock'ing letters out of words, placing them into a bag, and then placing them in other words to change the reality of the game?

Earl Grey I guess?

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
I am looking for a relatively old game (not that old I guess 97-2005?) where the player is in charge of running a videogame company. It's in windows and as far as I can remember all text, and the player can develop games (game engines and then games) and the hardware itself for the games. Kind of like Game Tycoon buy better, and with more text instead of graphics. It's done buy a small company/individual guy or something, probably only available to purchase on the internet.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pvt. Benedetto posted:

I'm looking for an old (I believe) DOS PC game that I played a couple times when I was younger.

It took place in an Arabian palace type setting with lots of booby-traps and cool items.

It wasn't just a side scroller (thus I know it wasn't Prince of Persia), and you could sorta move in three dimensions.

One scene I remember, which makes the game sounds insane, involved entering this room with an eye over the door, and throwing down some sort of glowing dust so you could see footprints on the ground which you had to follow as not to get shot by the eye. In the next room, after flipping or not flipping a switch, a cannonball fell on you and you died (I was not very good at this game.)

Another scene involved knocking a vase off a windowsill and hearing it crash down on someone as it fell outside.

Thank you for the help!

This sounds like something from Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/al-qadim-the-genies-curse/screenshots