Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Does your other cat have an energy level that can keep up with a 4 month old kitten? If not, then this is a big part of your problem. Kittens need a lot of physical exercise and stimulation. This is why we always suggest getting kittens in pairs. They wear each other out.

As for what you can do, the best thing would be to get him a friend with a similar energy level. If that's not doable, you're going to need to start dedicating time before bed to playing with Franklin until he's worn out. With our kitten Luna, we had to play with her for about an hour before bed to get her to this state (she's now a year old and thankfully doesn't need this anymore). And when I say play, I mean, getting her rear end off the ground. Luna's favorite toy is Da Bird, and most cat do well with stick-with-thing-on-it toys. You can get some great acrobatics out of them. Make sure to let him catch it sometimes though, so he doesn't just get frustrated. If he starts panting, let him rest for a couple of minutes, then see if he's game for more. After a while, you'll have exhausted him enough for him to actually want to sleep when you guys are sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Fire In The Disco posted:

Does your other cat have an energy level that can keep up with a 4 month old kitten? If not, then this is a big part of your problem. Kittens need a lot of physical exercise and stimulation. This is why we always suggest getting kittens in pairs. They wear each other out.

As for what you can do, the best thing would be to get him a friend with a similar energy level. If that's not doable, you're going to need to start dedicating time before bed to playing with Franklin until he's worn out. With our kitten Luna, we had to play with her for about an hour before bed to get her to this state (she's now a year old and thankfully doesn't need this anymore). And when I say play, I mean, getting her rear end off the ground. Luna's favorite toy is Da Bird, and most cat do well with stick-with-thing-on-it toys. You can get some great acrobatics out of them. Make sure to let him catch it sometimes though, so he doesn't just get frustrated. If he starts panting, let him rest for a couple of minutes, then see if he's game for more. After a while, you'll have exhausted him enough for him to actually want to sleep when you guys are sleeping.

I do try to play with him some before bed, sometimes I cant though because we're both pretty busy with school. Our other cat is just barely a year old and they rip around the house all day and night. I'll definitely look into getting one of those toy-on-a-sticks and letting him freak out over it for a bit while I'm studying!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Mandrill posted:

I'd basically just be happy if we could stop him clawing at the door at night and coming in and keeping us up, he's pretty awesome other than that. Do Sss cats work?

You can also try putting tin foil on the door or putting an upside-down plastic office mat under the door (so the tiny nubbins are pointed up).

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Mandrill posted:

I do try to play with him some before bed, sometimes I cant though because we're both pretty busy with school. Our other cat is just barely a year old and they rip around the house all day and night. I'll definitely look into getting one of those toy-on-a-sticks and letting him freak out over it for a bit while I'm studying!

We've got this guy. It works pretty well, except that my cats actually like us to be involved with their playing. Still, it might work well for your beastie!

And, if you're going to buy anything, please, also buy Da Bird. This toy is just mindblowing. It brings out the hunter instinct in every cat I've tried it with.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

And, if you're going to buy anything, please, also buy Da Bird. This toy is just mindblowing. It brings out the hunter instinct in every cat I've tried it with.

Managed to leave my drawer where I keep this open a bit, I come home and find that my cat had completely ripped it bare. She loves her feathers I guess.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Chin Strap posted:

Managed to leave my drawer where I keep this open a bit, I come home and find that my cat had completely ripped it bare. She loves her feathers I guess.

If mine hear my office closet door open, they bolt in like their tails were on fire and their asses were catching. They know I hide Da Bird in there and they want to kill it so bad.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My cats have grown weary of Da Bird :( Now she wants me to play with her in the Ikea cat tunnel but I don't fit very well...

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

My parents have six cats and Da Bird but they don't use it all that much. Whenever I visit, a couple of the cats run over to where it's kept and stare at me, because they know I'll play with them. and make them do jumps and flips all over the living room. :3:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Laser pointers? I haven't met a cat that won't chase them.

Also, Da Bird's toy is removable. This is mostly so you can buy a new Bird when your cats shred the old one, but you can also attach different toys. At my local pet store, they sell these little fuzzy mice that can attach to it. Our cats like those a bit more, I assume since they are smaller and harder to see.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Mine doesn't give a poo poo about lasers :(

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
My dog always tries to catch da bird. He's chewed it up pretty bad.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

If your cat is super food-oriented, there are toys that you can fill with kibble or treats. The food will fall out of holes as the cat plays with the toy. We have this one. It works pretty well and the difficulty is really adjustable. Of course you need to be careful with this conflicting with your cat's feeding unless you want a lardocat.

Tiko
May 27, 2008
I just got Da Bird and was playing with my cat, and after a while he started panting. I just figured he was getting worn out, so I stopped, but he still wanted to play, even though he continued to pant. It wasn't continuous, he'd do it for a few seconds then stop, and then do it again and stop. Is this something I should be worried about or is it just him trying to cool off/catch his breath?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I see my cats do it the most when they are a) out of breath and b) playing with something they're really into, like Da Bird. I just let them catch their breath for a few minute and then go again. With Luna, the 1 year old, it takes a couple of rounds to completely wear her out. The others go more quickly. :)

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
The first time Oreo went for DA Bird, he jumped in the air over and over and over again in a frenzy and got out of breath and was going to to keep jumping, I just put it down until he calmed down. Tigger, the fatty, tried his best to jump and tired himself out too. It's a shame that I accidentally let him catch it a few too many times. I laughed so hard everytime he'd catch it, put it in his mouth and then run like the wind with it.

I need to get some refills for it, it's seriously the best toy ever. I wish it was way more durable though, he ripped it apart in a week or two because he'd jump high enough to catch it sometimes and when he did it was his.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Tiko posted:

I just got Da Bird and was playing with my cat, and after a while he started panting. I just figured he was getting worn out, so I stopped, but he still wanted to play, even though he continued to pant. It wasn't continuous, he'd do it for a few seconds then stop, and then do it again and stop. Is this something I should be worried about or is it just him trying to cool off/catch his breath?

Yeah, a little panting is nothing to worry about. My cats will not only pant but their noses and ears will get bright red. Then they'll melt into fuzzpuddles on the nice cool linoleum for awhile.

Tiko
May 27, 2008
thanks for the replies! It really is a great toy...almost too great. Roger spends all of his waking time sitting by the closet where it is stored crying to play with it, he's lost all interest in his other toys. He never wants to take a break from playing with it, he'll jump on the bed and his tree while panting to try and get it from me. It so strange to see him like this cause otherwise he's a very relaxed cat and never shows this amount of desperation for anything else. Its not a bad thing at all, its hilarious to watch...but damnit cat i need to get some work done!

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
We're thinking of getting a kitten for our 2 year old cat to play with. She's been with us for a year and has the run of our household. What can we do ahead of time to prepare her for a kitten?
Cat: Panzer :3:
Sex: Female
Spayed
Food: Taste of the wild and one can of wet food a week as a treat
Last vet visit: When we adopted her a year ago
Indoors cat
One litter box with Feline Pine

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dancingthroughlife posted:

We're thinking of getting a kitten for our 2 year old cat to play with. She's been with us for a year and has the run of our household. What can we do ahead of time to prepare her for a kitten?
Cat: Panzer :3:

I think you might have better luck introducing a 1-2 year old instead of a small kitten, just because of the difference in energy levels and requirements - kind of like how a toddler isn't a good playmate for a six-year old. You can also find cats with a known personality that would be a good match for your household, like one that's particularly playful or one that's a complete lap cat.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Engineer Lenk posted:

I think you might have better luck introducing a 1-2 year old instead of a small kitten, just because of the difference in energy levels and requirements - kind of like how a toddler isn't a good playmate for a six-year old. You can also find cats with a known personality that would be a good match for your household, like one that's particularly playful or one that's a complete lap cat.

I don't have much experience with this but I've heard that sometimes more territorial females do better with a kitten than an adult (especially another female adult). It probably just depends on the cat though. Anyone out there have any experiences similar to Dancing's?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I'd suggest a 1-2 year old neutered male. A kitten may be too much for a cat who's already 2 to handle, and neutered males tend to be easier to introduce to households, and easier for the more territorial female to accept.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Hey guys! So I just got a cat. He's a 3 year-old male - I was originally going for a kitten, but this guy called out to me, was much more chill and sweet than a kitten would be, and was on the chopping block at the shelter.

He's been home for about a day, and has hidden under the bed the entire time (which is to be expected). HOWEVER, he has a cold, and the vet at the shelter took a look at him before releasing him and gave me anti-biotics. He won't get out from under the bed and his sneeze/cough is getting worse. I'm worried about him, but I also don't want to force anything. I've tried giving him his medication in wet food, but he's not having it.

Should I force him out later tonight for his anti-biotics? Or should I let him be to come out on his own time? I can't decide which is better or worse, strong-arming him for his own good but possibly really freaking him out, or letting things progress naturally at the risk of his illness getting worse...

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Personally I would force him to take the medication. I know it's going to be a bit traumatic for him, since he has to deal with a brand new environment, new person, AND he doesn't feel well, but in the long run the medicine is better for him. It might set him back a bit on feeling comfortable in the house, but he's going to be there for a good long time and will adjust to the place eventually. But if he gets sicker, that's not going to be good for anyone.

On another note, I'm having litter box issues. About a month ago I moved back home with my folks, and so far Professor and Smudge have adjusted pretty well to it. They spend most of their time in my room, but I do give them field trips outside to explore the house and they're doing pretty good. But on Friday Smudge had surgery to remove a giant bladder stone (he's doing just fine now) and since then Professor hasn't wanted to poop in the litter box. Pee yes, poop no. They have to share a single box now, since there's no space in my room for two boxes, but I scoop the litter once a day and do a full change out every two weeks, and until Smudge had his surgery there weren't any issues using the box at all - even on the first day when he was all freaked out by the sounds of new people, new dogs, and new smells he used the box with no issues, but now he'll only poop just outside the box and leave me to pick it up and put it back in. I'm not entirely sure what his deal is, is this just a temporary thing that will go away once Smudge heals up better, or is this the sign of a bigger problem?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Should I force him out later tonight for his anti-biotics? Or should I let him be to come out on his own time? I can't decide which is better or worse, strong-arming him for his own good but possibly really freaking him out, or letting things progress naturally at the risk of his illness getting worse...

I'd strongarm him, pill him, leave him in a small room with the stinkiest wet cat food available for about twenty minutes (to try and associate this with a net positive, though he may decide not to go for it), then let him go off and hide again.

Women's Rights? posted:

On another note, I'm having litter box issues. About a month ago I moved back home with my folks, and so far Professor and Smudge have adjusted pretty well to it. They spend most of their time in my room, but I do give them field trips outside to explore the house and they're doing pretty good. But on Friday Smudge had surgery to remove a giant bladder stone (he's doing just fine now) and since then Professor hasn't wanted to poop in the litter box. Pee yes, poop no. They have to share a single box now, since there's no space in my room for two boxes, but I scoop the litter once a day and do a full change out every two weeks, and until Smudge had his surgery there weren't any issues using the box at all - even on the first day when he was all freaked out by the sounds of new people, new dogs, and new smells he used the box with no issues, but now he'll only poop just outside the box and leave me to pick it up and put it back in. I'm not entirely sure what his deal is, is this just a temporary thing that will go away once Smudge heals up better, or is this the sign of a bigger problem?

Best not to give it the chance to turn into a habit. Is the current box a standard size, or do you have a converted Sterilite? I'd think a second box (or a larger single box) is the best first approach to this, in conjunction or followed by using some Cat Attract litter.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 21, 2010

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
/\/\/\

Thanks guys! Yeah, I think I'm gonna force him. He's not gonna be happy, and I have to do this every day for ten days! Kitty is gonna hate me by the end of this. Oh well. Get better, kitty!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

/\/\/\

Thanks guys! Yeah, I think I'm gonna force him. He's not gonna be happy, and I have to do this every day for ten days! Kitty is gonna hate me by the end of this. Oh well. Get better, kitty!

He'll come around. I know how hard it is. My cat gets so far into the back corner of the bed and can't comprehend why I'm holding her eyes open when they already hurt. It really is the worst. The trick is to get through it as fast and mechanical as possible. When I got my cats from the rescue they both had eye infections. It was not how I imagined our first weeks together but the pay off has been worth it. cats can be amazingly forgiving and he will be more apt to bond when he doesn't feel sick any more.

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Oreo, my kitten, is coming up on a year old but he's built a habit of clawing at cardboard boxes. I'm thinking a nice scratching post would make him happier and less likely to tear into cardboard.

What's the best inexpensive scratching post? I'd like something that wasn't too much money, but nice enough it'd last and keep him happy.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
The cheapest option is to build your own.

If you want to invest more (under $200), you can get an amazing tree from Armarkat. They are really worth every penny, and are vastly, vastly cheaper than what you find at pet stores. We have this one for our cats, and there's basically never a time when it's not in use, whether it's being slept on or being scratched.

Also Oreo needs a friend you name Chips (as in Ahoy) or possibly one named Milk. :3:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Xerin posted:

Oreo, my kitten, is coming up on a year old but he's built a habit of clawing at cardboard boxes. I'm thinking a nice scratching post would make him happier and less likely to tear into cardboard.

What's the best inexpensive scratching post? I'd like something that wasn't too much money, but nice enough it'd last and keep him happy.

What about cardboard cat scratchers? The doublewide ones are about $8 at Trader Joe's.

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Engineer Lenk posted:

What about cardboard cat scratchers? The doublewide ones are about $8 at Trader Joe's.

That sounds right up his ally, how sturdy at they usually? If they last awhile before he can tear them all the way up then that's perfect, but he gets pretty aggressive on his cardboard and $100 wouldn't be a bad investment if it lasted for years.

If you were to build your own, what would be best for the scratchy part (like a certain kind of carpet or something)? I can grasp the basic concept of building it with the wood and it might be an interesting project.

Also Oreo's only friend is Tigger, an old fat cat who just wants to cuddle while Oreo wants to take socks, scrunchies, hair bands, and all of his toy mouses and put them in his cat house (this cardboard box he WILL NOT tear at).

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
In my house the cardboard ones don't last too long, like a couple of weeks. That's why the Armarkat tree has been an awesome, solid investment.

There are at least a few PI goons who have made their own trees; they might be able to give you more info on that end of things. Typically I believe 2x4's, sisal rope and carpet are used.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
They've lasted for over a year in my house so far, but I have big fat lazy cats who still occasionally decide the carpet is the right place to scratch rather than the cardboard scratchers or scratching post.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

An easy, tough and cheap scratcher is nailing a log to a piece of carpeted wood. The bark does make a bit of a mess as they tear it off though.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

In my house the cardboard ones don't last too long, like a couple of weeks. That's why the Armarkat tree has been an awesome, solid investment.

There are at least a few PI goons who have made their own trees; they might be able to give you more info on that end of things. Typically I believe 2x4's, sisal rope and carpet are used.

Yes, but I used 2x4's and mine's a bit wobbly. 4x4's would be a better choice, I think. Plywood is also involved for making platforms, and a staple gun is way easy for putting on carpet.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

Victor Nightingale fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 26, 2012

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

ChairmanMeow posted:

He'll come around. I know how hard it is. My cat gets so far into the back corner of the bed and can't comprehend why I'm holding her eyes open when they already hurt. It really is the worst.

He's gotten a lot more chill, and even slept in our bed last night and today (I'm home with a cold as well, hah). However, he doesn't seem to be eating as much today. I'm gonna give him a little more time - he finally ate his wet food around 6pm or so last night. But if he hasn't shown any signs of eating by later tonight, what should I do to make sure he gets some sustenance? I don't want him to not eat -> get weak from not eating, which would just cause him to huddle under the bed even more and then fall really ill.

Would Pedialyte be good?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
If he has a head cold it probably just doesn't smell good to him. try stinkier food or even warming it up a little. Do you know what he ate at the shelter? Sometimes they really prefer crap and you have to transition the food a bit at a time.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
He ate Science diet. They gave me a little "cat kit" and so he's got it as dry food free access right now. He's not touching it too much. I have a better food and I was going to transition him over to when he was no longer sick, by mixing the two (to minimize tummy upset). I'm gonna try warming wet food up...

EDIT: No dice. He just sniffed it and stared at me. It's possible he's been eating some of the dry food without me noticing - I've been trying to give him some alone time for adjustment, so maybe he's eaten and I just haven't seen it, although I hesitate to assume. I've made the vet aware of what's going on, but I won't be able to be around tomorrow to keep an eye on him (urgent work matters). I can rush him to the vet Wed morning if he still hasn't eaten, but I might have to try and force feed him something tomorrow night. Any advice on that?

EDIT 2: Vet just e-mailed and confirmed that I should syringe feed him tomorrow night, if he hasn't eaten. Hooray.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 23, 2010

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
If you and the cat are both stuffed up, run a hot shower in your bathroom and go in there and breathe the steam for 10-20 minutes. Then try stinky food immediately after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
/\/\/\ I'll try that later tonight. We have a humidifier going for him, but maybe the steamy shower will help more. I'm picking up some feeding syringes on the way home, because at this point he hasn't eaten, pooped, or peed for an entire day. Scheduling a vet visit for Wed morning. Agh.

This is all super-stressful because both myself and my bf are horribly sick too, AND I think our rabbit may have caught the virus from the cat. I just want to rest up but I end up staying up late taking care of these guy and not getting sleep due to loud kitty sneezes/coughs and general anxiety about animal health.