Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

These are some shots from a series I'm doing of people at work. I've put them small here for the sake of everyone's scrolling, but please click the links and look at them bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
I like the one of the side profile of the BMW the best, though I wish he wasn't smiling right at the camera. I think the shot would be improved a lot if the car was a little more lit as well.

I would honestly just balance the ambient a little more in these. Kick down your flashes a little bit and you can still have emphasis on your subjects without it looking so jarring and 'strobist-pool'-ish.

edit: the best thing I ever did for my environmental portraiture was to learn and love my grids. They're cheap to buy and/or easy to make, and they're absolutely invaluable.

Hot Cops fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 11, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ric posted:

These are some shots from a series I'm doing of people at work. I've put them small here for the sake of everyone's scrolling, but please click the links and look at them bigger.

You somehow made the most mundane jobs look epic.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

HPL posted:

That is a good observation. That was the general feel I got, so perhaps it is worth focusing on. For example

This picture:

Has alot of qualities that this picture

Doesn't, in terms of making the person/subject seem otherworldly and special. Keep up the series!

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

These are from a company party. How do they look?

I'd suggest trying to get more light into their faces-- it's really a bit dark as it is, which can be really unflattering.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Jahoodie posted:

This looks like a lady with a beard to me.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

TsarAleksi posted:

I'd suggest trying to get more light into their faces-- it's really a bit dark as it is, which can be really unflattering.

I wasn't using my omnibounce for once because I thought it would just spill light every which way and overpower the ambient. I was just letting the bare bulb it bounce off the ceiling.

Do you think either an 80/20 or a Gary Fong yogurt tub would've been a better application here?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Do you think either an 80/20 or a Gary Fong yogurt tub would've been a better application here?

I hate to sound like a Demb shill because I promote his products enough here, but situations like that are where it shines because you can adjust the balance of light easily and exactly since it pivots.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

HPL posted:

I hate to sound like a Demb shill because I promote his products enough here, but situations like that are where it shines because you can adjust the balance of light easily and exactly since it pivots.

werd, which model do you you have? does that mega size become a pain at all?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

werd, which model do you you have? does that mega size become a pain at all?

I have an older one from before they redesigned everything. It's between the Photojournalist and the Big. It's no bigger than any other flash bouncer and is lighter than a lot of them. What's nice is that when you're not using it, you can fold it back so it's not sticking up. I've been using it at concerts for about a year and it has held up well, even in mosh pits and with beer flying around.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Ric posted:

Easily my fav :) Where you did place the lights?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

HPL posted:

Thanks, that's the effect I was going for with the wide shot and the counter shot.

Jahoodie posted:

That is a good observation. That was the general feel I got, so perhaps it is worth focusing on. For example

This picture:

Has alot of qualities that this picture

Doesn't, in terms of making the person/subject seem otherworldly and special. Keep up the series!
I picked the processing to fit the subject/area. The shop had very bright colours and expanses of shiny surface that lent it to bold lighting, while the restaurant was a much tighter, duller space so I lit to emulate a large window. I felt my choice was quite limited, but I'm quite happy with the two shots there nevertheless.

Cyberbob posted:

Easily my fav :) Where you did place the lights?
I used a 60cm softbox either side of the subject, angled slightly backwards to light both him and the background, and a ring flash on low power for fill to avoid a shadow down his middle.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I'll echo in that I like all of those, with the caveat that the highlights are a little bright in a few. Good ideas and composition.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Ric posted:

I picked the processing to fit the subject/area. The shop had very bright colours and expanses of shiny surface that lent it to bold lighting, while the restaurant was a much tighter, duller space so I lit to emulate a large window. I felt my choice was quite limited, but I'm quite happy with the two shots there nevertheless.

My comment was aimed at if this is a series, the treatment of the subjects seems very different and tells me very different things about the subject. Both good pictures on their own, but picking at the little stuff like that is what makes a series of "cool pics of people at work" different from a series that makes a statement. I can be right or wrong, it's up to your vision to sculpt it! Take more then worry about editing it down to be cohesive.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Jahoodie posted:

My comment was aimed at if this is a series, the treatment of the subjects seems very different and tells me very different things about the subject. Both good pictures on their own, but picking at the little stuff like that is what makes a series of "cool pics of people at work" different from a series that makes a statement. I can be right or wrong, it's up to your vision to sculpt it! Take more then worry about editing it down to be cohesive.
You're right that I have a vision for what I want for each subject/location rather than an overarching one. At the moment, I'm letting it be shaped by who agrees to pose for me (I only know one of the three people posted before); I may edit down the collection based on the proportion of shots that have each feel.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

took a picture of an actor friend of mine. Flash fired in reflecting umbrella at 1/16th power. It's so much easier taking pictures of actors, they actually listen to what you say and everything!

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies

Penpal posted:

took a picture of an actor friend of mine. Flash fired in reflecting umbrella at 1/16th power. It's so much easier taking pictures of actors, they actually listen to what you say and everything!

I am completely drawn to his eyes. The way the green stands out and the catch light reflected in them. Bam, that is right where I want to look. Well done.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Thanks a bunch, dude! I know a bunch of people have different ways of dealing with eyes, and some of them are hosed. Like making them look like dolls hosed.

I just dodge, saturate, and sharpen as much as necessary. Even with this one I thought I had kind of went a little overboard, but he's an actor, he needs people to instantly look at this and get snared by the drat eyes like a trap

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Alright fellas, rip this crap apart. I want to learn how to shoot people.

I'm not sure I get portraits.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TomR posted:

Last one is the best. The model doesn't fill the frame or stand out enough in the first two. Be mindful of cropping appendages.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
The first one is great; it's shot wide enough that you could crop it in closer in a few different ways to make it more compelling, and I'd like to see it exposed to highlight his face better. The second one could be improved similarly but is also dark and the color is too cold. He also looks rather detached in both as if he wasn't ready for you to start photographing him.
The third one has none of those issues but I think I'd have cropped it with more tree on the left instead of the right.

miasma blues
May 18, 2008

There fly those who didn't survive the winter.
It's going to be spring soon.

TomR posted:

Having read through the portrait posing guide recently, I noticed that he's in the masculine pose ('C-shape', head looking in the same direction that the body is turned to) in all of those pictures. Which is good. The way you photographed him from below coupled with his aloof/confident expressions makes him interesting and seem a bit detached in a good way.

First picture is a tad warm, it gives him kind of a yellow skin. Second one is a bit too cold, so the snow gets a blue touch. You might want to play a bit with the colour curves too.

I really like the composition of the first and third as is (except for the cut off hand in the third). The space to the left of the tree and the ice on the right hand side in the first give the scene room. In the third, the branches create sort of a window he's posed against.

He's missing his shins and feet in the second though, so I'm not quite sure how I'd crop it to make it seem on purpose, put more attention on him and also still make his leaning pose look right.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
That is some impressive facial hair.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Here's an old one but I'm curious about opinions on the posing. These guys were going to the police and fire games.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Whitezombi posted:

The first shot says to me "Is that a haggis over there?"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I like all three of those a lot, particularly the first one.

Well done.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

TsarAleksi posted:

Here's an old one but I'm curious about opinions on the posing. These guys were going to the police and fire games.
I think the poses are just fine, but man the distortion is really showing on that front guy. His head's all funny looking and stretched.

Whitezombi posted:

I think they're all well done, but this third one is fairly badass.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Thanks guys.

It was a horrible shoot. I'm was (still am) sick and I had a 100 temp and my new flash died right as I got everything set up perfect. The only thing that kept me going was 10 Years Old, Cask Strength Laphroaig (Scotch).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

scotch chat

Now I like the photos even more. That fellow looks like he would appreciate a nice Laphroaig, too.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Interrupting Moss posted:

scotch chat

Now I like the photos even more. That fellow looks like he would appreciate a nice Laphroaig, too.

He did. He tried to drink the cask strength without adding water - the look on his face was priceless. If you like Laphroaig you really need to try the cask strength & the quarter cask. The latter is my favorite.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Whitezombi posted:

He did. He tried to drink the cask strength without adding water - the look on his face was priceless. If you like Laphroaig you really need to try the cask strength & the quarter cask. The latter is my favorite.

I'll still to my beers and wines thank you, whiskey burns.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

fronkpies posted:

I'll still to my beers and wines thank you, whiskey burns.

It burns oh so good.

Few more pics from the shoot.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

It burns oh so good.

Few more pics from the shoot.

I like this one the best, the others are okay.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I only like the last one. Perhaps because I was conditioned by the first set, but I don't think the smiling goes with the low angle, focal length, B&W, etc.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Interrupting Moss posted:

I only like the last one. Perhaps because I was conditioned by the first set, but I don't think the smiling goes with the low angle, focal length, B&W, etc.

Yeah - the 1st set is definitely my favorite and best of the night. I tried a quick color version of this one.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

Good stuff.

Got speaking to this old lady at the bus stop, got about four shots in the end, nice woman.

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
Very nice! Did you use flash at all in that shot? If not, the lighting was pretty drat perfect :)

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

teamgod posted:

Very nice! Did you use flash at all in that shot? If not, the lighting was pretty drat perfect :)

No flash, was a pretty overcast day so was surprised to see it turn out that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

fronkpies posted:

Good stuff.

Got speaking to this old lady at the bus stop, got about four shots in the end, nice woman.

I love this, but I wanted to see it in black and white, so I did a quick conversion in cs4.