Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runningbored
Jun 20, 2007
My new to me 09 KLR650 , this is my first dual sport and I'm loving it .

Had the doohickey spring adjusted by my local Kawasaki dealer and it now runs beautifully , there was a slight knocking in take off acceleration before I had this done but it seems to have solved it for now , am ordering the shorter spring from Eagle Mike to get installed when it arrives in the next few weeks hopefully , as I am in OZ.

Some pics -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

runningbored posted:

My new to me 09 KLR650 , this is my first dual sport and I'm loving it .

Had the doohickey spring adjusted by my local Kawasaki dealer and it now runs beautifully , there was a slight knocking in take off acceleration before I had this done but it seems to have solved it for now , am ordering the shorter spring from Eagle Mike to get installed when it arrives in the next few weeks hopefully , as I am in OZ.
You will be putting in the new stainless milled doohickey with the shorter spring right? The new doohickey should come with an assortment of springs. Judging from the pictures your KLR probably has low miles and the original doohickey spring is nowhere near running out of adjustment yet, but you might as well do it sooner than later.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
I finished creating my DR-Zebra!

The stripes reflect white at night.

It's pretty much the funnest thing ever. :D

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's loving awesome!

I have a white DRZ so I may steal your idea, but it probably won't end up nearly as good.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Those zebra stripes are great, very good idea. drat my yellow DRZ

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I almost want to keep mine just do that now. Awesome.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

NitroSpazzz posted:

Mine was yellow.

Click here for the full 800x1120 image.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Gnomad posted:

See, even the sign tells me I need a chain, not a shaft.

I like how the bike even has a "uhm...." expression.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Becktastic posted:

Mine was yellow.

Now that makes it even better.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Beckgyver it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Becktastic posted:

The stripes reflect white at night.

:hfive:
that is kickass.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Turn it into a Tiger, then it would be better than the Zebra. Maybe even a Leopard so you can chase down and kill the Zebra?

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Becktastic posted:

Mine was yellow.

My GF just got a DR-Z400SM and plans to add some hot pink to the black but we couldn't find a Fusion color to match the, uh... hatbox.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

cheesebot posted:

My GF just got a DR-Z400SM and plans to add some hot pink to the black but we couldn't find a Fusion color to match the, uh... hatbox.

I've heard you can use the Fusion Plastics base coat and then paint any other kind on top of it. I would try to get an outdoor paint at least, so it wouldn't fade too fast. I bet that neon marking paint they use for parking lots and stuff would work perfect.

Even the Fusion scratches off fairly easily. I have little yellow scratch marks here and there, so it's not going to look super great for a super long time...but so what, it's an effing dirt bike!

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I've seen a similar bike here in Aus that is painted up like a cow, its known as the .. moootard.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
A Wild Pig approaches!

Bought an '01 XR650L and just got it home from a 35 mile freeway ride. Runs great so far, and thankfully the bike has been fully uncorked, rejetted, and has a bunch of nifty little mods like the 12v outlet. Included was the stock tank, stock sprocket, extra chain, extra tubes, etc. I'm still a little uneasy on the high(ish) miles, especially for a big thumper, but I couldn't really resist considering its price and condition. $1800.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Chill_Bebop posted:

A Wild Pig approaches!

Bought an '01 XR650L and just got it home from a 35 mile freeway ride. Runs great so far, and thankfully the bike has been fully uncorked, rejetted, and has a bunch of nifty little mods like the 12v outlet. Included was the stock tank, stock sprocket, extra chain, extra tubes, etc. I'm still a little uneasy on the high(ish) miles, especially for a big thumper, but I couldn't really resist considering its price and condition. $1800.

That thing is immaculate. Congrats!

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Scrapez posted:

That thing is immaculate. Congrats!

Thanks. I think the pictures don't show the little scrapes and normal wear, its not exactly 100% but it'll do, I'm sure.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Chill_Bebop posted:

I'm still a little uneasy on the high(ish) miles, especially for a big thumper, but I couldn't really resist considering its price and condition. $1800.
It appears to have 13k, that's high miles? What specifically are you worried will break?

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

SuperSlant6 posted:

It appears to have 13k, that's high miles? What specifically are you worried will break?

13k isnt really bad by any means, I am just a mileage queen. Thumpers beat themselves up after awhile but are pretty easy to service.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

runningbored posted:

Chill_Bebop posted:

Congrats on the new dual sports you guys!

Couple of great looking bikes...now go scratch the poo poo out of them and cover them in mud!

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.
Picked this up today. First bike ever.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Yeticopter posted:

Man, that taillight stalk thing just looks absurd. Pretty tidy looking bike though, I dig that color.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Is this the one you crashed already?

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

niethan posted:

Is this the one you crashed already?

Yeah, you can kind of tell the left turn signals are bent in, and the headlight casing is a little hosed as well. It all works though so I'm not complaining.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Yeticopter posted:

I love you, because I love all Honda CBs. What year? Hows the condition? Might I ask how much you got it for?

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

It's a '72 CB350 twin with 12k miles, there's a few patches of rust in the frame, and the starter motor doesn't work (kickstarts are cooler anyway), I guess one of the cylinders isn't firing as strong as the other, but it rides and accelerates fine to me.

$500 and the guy drove it to my apartment in his minivan. (about a 23 mile trip)

Drache
Aug 26, 2000
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Slippery Tilde
My first motorcycle was an old Honda...CR250 I think; I basically rode it until I killed the poor thing, but man was it a blast. After a hiatus I decided I wanted a street bike, searched around a bit and picked up an 05 Katana 600. God, I loved that bike. It was my first street bike, I bought it new, and I pretty much learned everything about street riding (after taking the MSF of course) on it. I don't have many pictures of it, but here's a decent one with bonus tail section of a buddies ZX-12.

Recently I started looking into picking up something else and, while I would have loved to keep the Kat, I just don't have the space/money to house or justify multiple bikes. So after a lot of thought I sold the Kat and picked this up last week:

Excuse the lovely pictures, but all I have for a camera at the moment is my phone. But anyway, it's an 06 1000RR and, my god, is it so much fun to ride. While I was on the way home I was loving freezing but I had the biggest poo poo eating grin on my face the entire way. I can't wait until the weather warms up and I can get out on it full time. And, despite what some friends have suggested, I plan on keeping the Woody Woodpecker decals on there because I find them hilariously awesome.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

npn posted:

My 1979 Honda SS50.

It's got racing stripes, it must be fast right?

I grew up riding a 1966 honda s90 and miss that thing more than my daughter when she's out of town.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Picking this up Wednesday if I can plow through the GIANT loving PILES OF SNOW to get to the bike shop. I don't know if I can take another month of this poo poo.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

elsanto posted:

Picking this up Wednesday if I can plow through the GIANT loving PILES OF SNOW to get to the bike shop. I don't know if I can take another month of this poo poo.

FZ6s make me feel funny in the pants, especially in that color

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

redscare posted:

FZ6s make me feel funny in the pants, especially in that color

Blue IS the fastest color.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

elsanto posted:

Blue IS the fastest color.

Blue is Yamaha's signature color so this statement is incorrect.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Drache posted:

Excuse the lovely pictures, but all I have for a camera at the moment is my phone. But anyway, it's an 06 1000RR and, my god, is it so much fun to ride. While I was on the way home I was loving freezing but I had the biggest poo poo eating grin on my face the entire way. I can't wait until the weather warms up and I can get out on it full time. And, despite what some friends have suggested, I plan on keeping the Woody Woodpecker decals on there because I find them hilariously awesome.

What's up Katana then literbike buddy :hfive:. I kept both though. Nice bike.

Drache
Aug 26, 2000
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Slippery Tilde

Oakey posted:

What's up Katana then literbike buddy :hfive:. I kept both though. Nice bike.

:cheers:

I thought long and hard about keeping the Kat, mainly so I'd have something to buzz around on when I didn't feel like achieving low Earth orbit everytime I twisted my wrist, but in the end I just couldn't do it. And speaking of Kats, did you ever post over at KatRiders?

Drache fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 23, 2010

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Nah, I pretty much only post here and at AF1 occasionally now. The Kat's a tank, and the Haynes manual makes it pretty easy to do almost anything to the bike. I consult here more for diagnosis than directions. Never really needed any info over there.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Well I bought it. 2001 CBR 929. Walked away for $2500. Probably a bit high, but the bike is in amazingly good shape and I'm a horrible negotiator so I'm happy I talked him down a couple hundred. Has a few go fast bits including a Power Commander and a Yoshi pipe on it thats surprisingly quiet, though my standards might be screwed up because of my DRZ's ridiculous exhaust. The discolored stuff on the tank that I initially thought was a dent repair is one of the POs trying to paint over the original yellow "wings" rather badly.

Dude had a complete set of OEM fairings for another $700 that I'm sort of considering. Leaning towards leaving it in beater bike form and just making a few changes to make it more comfortable like Risers, lower rear sets, etc. This is officially my "commuter bike".

Ride home was hilarious. Couldn't get into my storage unit this morning so I had to take the gear I had lying around the apartment, meaning my dirtbike-style helmet. Its been pouring rain here and the ride home was 45 minutes in traffic, including the bay bridge with high winds, so I got completely soaked. Didn't get to have much fun because of the weather. Seriously, rain hitting your face at 100mph hurts like a motherfucker. On the plus side, I'm also sick as hell and having my face soaking wet meant I couldn't tell when my nose was running so I never got that annoying need to rub my nose but can't because of a helmet feeling.

Sorry about the fuzzy picture, iPhone + shivering hands does not the best photo make.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 24, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
IMO, you shouldn't bother with the newer plastics. Just do the comfort mods and ride it. I still have a repair manual for one of those on my shelf if you want it :)

And congrats on making it home alive, haha. Wait till you get a chance to open it up properly :D

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

pr0zac posted:

pouring rain...45 minutes in traffic...high winds...completely soaked...100mph...motherfucker.

100mph traffic in the rain!? California, what will you do next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zool posted:

100mph traffic in the rain!? California, what will you do next?

What about that is confusing to you? Ooooooh you must not have seen the post I made about what happened to my last CBR.