Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

reality_groove posted:

Ah, I remember back in the days when you could show a grown man assaulting a child in front of his parents to sell a soft drink.

Holy poo poo, how did they get away with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

TL posted:

Holy poo poo, how did they get away with that?

Boobs hadn't slipped out in super bowls and I guess its "cartoon" violence.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Commercials were just plain better in the 90's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0n0Dq_AqgI

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pneub posted:

Commercials were just plain better in the 90's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0n0Dq_AqgI

This reminds of when Super Bowl commercials were still funny.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This reminds of when Super Bowl commercials were still funny.

Like this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qEMOi-zr8o

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Carlton Banks posted:

I don't know if I'd say he was very over. People would laugh at the Big Wiggle and sometimes when he screamed, but didnt care about his wrestling or interviews

He was as popular as a guy WCW booked as a complete comedy jobber could be. The loving guy became a side show to Ralphus and never got to show off that he has a lot of charisma and was a good worker once he got over. Instead they ran the joke further and further into the ground.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I couldn't sleep tonight and I was up flipping throught the channels and I ended up watching about an hour and a half of AAA from Mexico. Most of what I saw was pretty good with the exception of an eight-man garbage match. Even Judas Mesias, who I hated in TNA, was pretty cool. I think they may have actually killed a couple of wrestlers though.:psyduck:

Question: Is there anywhere I can watch that with englich commentary so I can figure out what's going on?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

89 posted:

When's the last time Scott Hall has had a good match?

I've really been trying to think of the last one as I was thinking....when's the last time Scott Hall has been in ring shape? Well, WWE in 2002, but wait.....when's the last time he's even had a GOOD match??

At least this entire DECADE he's been no more than a drunk that's always getting fired.

Despite a decade being a drunk that's always getting fired, he still managed to get a WWC world title reign in Puerto Rico in 2007. In a match featuring Carlito!

Then he no-showed and forfeited the title.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I couldn't sleep tonight and I was up flipping throught the channels and I ended up watching about an hour and a half of AAA from Mexico. Most of what I saw was pretty good with the exception of an eight-man garbage match. Even Judas Mesias, who I hated in TNA, was pretty cool. I think they may have actually killed a couple of wrestlers though.:psyduck:

Question: Is there anywhere I can watch that with englich commentary so I can figure out what's going on?

We had a thread a while back, and I believe the consensus was that there was no commentary or subtitles, and they wouldn't help if they existed.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
How common is it for a WWE PPV to go head-to-head with a UFC PPV?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

DannoMack posted:

How common is it for a WWE PPV to go head-to-head with a UFC PPV?

I think never. WWE is always on Sunday, and UFC is usually on Saturday. If you mean head-to-head on the same weekend, then fairly common. UFCs 104, 107, 110 were all on the same weekend as WWE events recently.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What is Paul Heyman doing these days?

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

What is Paul Heyman doing these days?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/2857429/Hulk-Hogan-has-announced-he-will-wrestle-for-TNA.html

Holy poo poo, look at Hulk.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Looks loving terrible.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Hogan's belly looks like someone got a hotdog pregnant

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

You think that's bad look at fat Ric Flair laying on the mat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

This is so on the money.

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004
I've been re-reading the Observer Quotes from the FAQ because it's the funniest poo poo ever. I didn't watch much WCW at the time, so a lot of the moments I read about I'm trying to find online. However it seems like the dates don't match up.

For example, according to the quotes, the december 15, 1997 Nitro featured a dummy dropping down, only to be revealed as actually Sting who then fights the NWO while ridiculously hampered by the hooks that dropped him down.

A youtube search shows the show from that date featuring a Sting dummy dropping from the rafters only to be beaten by Hogan after they fake shoot that it was the real Sting and he's hurt. While equally stupid, I really want to see the moment described but can't find it.

Equally so the alleged moment later that month where Sting is supposed to do a run-in and beat up the NWO, but so many fans are trying to get in the ring that they run out of time, and Bischoff, unaware that he's still miced, swears loudly as he realizes the segment is badly hosed and buries his head in his hands.

And one more thing to sway people to re-read that thread:

"Nick Patrick still acted like a heel even though he kissed Gene Okerlund" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 02, 1998

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A lot of those quotes are just flat-out wrong. Still funny as poo poo, though.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

inconsequential posted:

For example, according to the quotes, the december 15, 1997 Nitro featured a dummy dropping down, only to be revealed as actually Sting who then fights the NWO while ridiculously hampered by the hooks that dropped him down.

A youtube search shows the show from that date featuring a Sting dummy dropping from the rafters only to be beaten by Hogan after they fake shoot that it was the real Sting and he's hurt. While equally stupid, I really want to see the moment described but can't find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wfaszgQlO0

I think the story was that the nWo "fooled everyone" with the dummy one week, then Sting pulled this the next week, but I can't be sure.

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004

Captain Strange posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wfaszgQlO0

I think the story was that the nWo "fooled everyone" with the dummy one week, then Sting pulled this the next week, but I can't be sure.

Ok, this answered all my questions. Meltzer was embellishing poo poo, but as LL said, still funny as poo poo. Thanks for the clip though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

A lot of those quotes are just flat-out wrong. Still funny as poo poo, though.

You post this a lot but never post any evidence. Most of the best Observer quotes are from his TV recaps. Was Dave just making up what happened on Nitro and hoping no one called him out? You recently said he made up a story about an ad in the USA Today. Did Dave just decide "Ok time to make up a story and hope no one reads the USA Today!"

inconsequential posted:

Ok, this answered all my questions. Meltzer was embellishing poo poo, but as LL said, still funny as poo poo. Thanks for the clip though.

How is he embellishing? It is insanely obvious it isn't a dummy after the wig falls off, but Hogan still has to pretend it is, and then Sting takes forever trying to get the gear off while the nWo just stands around, and then fights them all off while hooked up to it and it looks really hokey.

Here's the quote from the thread:

"A Sting mannequin sped down from the ceiling. When they went to beat the doll up, it was a real life human they dragged to the ropes that pretended to be the doll. As Hogan made fun of the dummy, the dummy unmasked, revealing real Sting, and unable to unhook himself while beating up the NWO (he) looked ridiculous" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15,

That is what happens. Sometimes the guy who transcribes this stuff doesn't transcribe the whole quote and takes it a bit out of context, but that is exactly what happens.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 22, 2010

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

You post this a lot but never post any evidence. Most of the best Observer quotes are from his TV recaps.
I don't want to go down this road again, but taken out of context, as they are in that posting list, they're wrong. Taken in the context of the joking tone he'd taken with WCW, many of them were right. Basically he's using hyperbole a lot and people take it literally. Other than that, basically in those quotes and in the Death of WCW book, there are a lot of things that I remember differently than it happened. After checking some of my old Nitro VHS tapes (and accompanying awful motor oil commercials), it turns out I was right many of the times.

I'm not saying they're all horseshit or anything, just that a lot of them are supposed to be jokes and more than a few of them are just slightly off and a couple of them are just wholly inaccurate.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

How is he embellishing? It is insanely obvious it isn't a dummy after the wig falls off, but Hogan still has to pretend it is, and then Sting takes forever trying to get the gear off while the nWo just stands around, and then fights them all off while hooked up to it and it looks really hokey.

I think the real problem with the segment is Hogan's awful acting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I think the real problem with the segment is Hogan's awful acting.

I think Hogan is perfect up until his reaction. He was AWFUL at reactions, especially in the month leading up to Starrcade 97. But the way he delivers his puns is tremendous, exactly how a tremendous self important douchebag would deliver them.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MassRayPer posted:

I think Hogan is perfect up until his reaction. He was AWFUL at reactions, especially in the month leading up to Starrcade 97. But the way he delivers his puns is tremendous, exactly how a tremendous self important douchebag would deliver them.

I don't think that you can say that Hogan behaving like a tremendous self important douchebag is acting in really any definition of the term. Kind of like how Zach Gowen didn't have to act like he only had one leg.

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

You post this a lot but never post any evidence. Most of the best Observer quotes are from his TV recaps. Was Dave just making up what happened on Nitro and hoping no one called him out? You recently said he made up a story about an ad in the USA Today. Did Dave just decide "Ok time to make up a story and hope no one reads the USA Today!"

Here's the quote from the thread:

"A Sting mannequin sped down from the ceiling. When they went to beat the doll up, it was a real life human they dragged to the ropes that pretended to be the doll. As Hogan made fun of the dummy, the dummy unmasked, revealing real Sting, and unable to unhook himself while beating up the NWO (he) looked ridiculous" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15,

That is what happens. Sometimes the guy who transcribes this stuff doesn't transcribe the whole quote and takes it a bit out of context, but that is exactly what happens.

Okay, factually it's correct, but I don't think he looked ridiculous still hooked in. He was perfectly mobile and only struggled for like a second to get it off before ignoring it and laying waste to everyone. Kind of embellished in it's alleged "ridiculousness".

You're right about reactions, I watched the episode where Hogan gets the Hogan head in wrapped up in a present and he has the most stupid look of horror I've ever seen. (That quote was a little embellished too as he made it out like Hart was laughing and it made the segment kind of weird when really Hart just stood there doing nothing.)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKVm3Jbd0NE

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
"Get an ambulance over here!"

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh
After RAW went live, it's been taped a few times. Why was it ever taped?

Especially want to know why the episode where Foley won the belt was taped.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

GOP posted:

I believe they tape the Tribe to the Troops one just because of scheduling issues. And there was also one from London that was taped. I guess its just out of the country RAWs that must be taped due to time and/or schedule restrictions.

As for the Foley one, they still taped every other week, so it just happened on a taped episode.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GOP posted:

When it is taped these days it is because the WWE is going on an overseas tour and doesn't want the expense of bringing their TV gear with them.

It was taped to cut down on expenses. It is much more expensive to run live TV than taped. It also didn't have a huge impact on ratings during the Monday Night Wars, taped shows didn't do that much worse than live shows. Raw is also taped on UK tours but that is due to the time difference.

In the case of when Foley won the belt, that was more a case where WWE used to take more time off during the holiday season than they do now so they did a taped Raw.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 22, 2010

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
If I remember correctly, they did a live Raw on Monday, then taped the following week's RAW on Tuesday. In late '99 they started using the Tuesday taping slot for Smackdown instead, and switched to doing all the Raws live.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't think I ever saw this but what's the story behind CM Punk making the Undertaker tap out?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gatts posted:

I don't think I ever saw this but what's the story behind CM Punk making the Undertaker tap out?

Punk put him in the Anaconda Vise, he instantly tapped out, before he even fully had it applied!

In no way was it a screwjob ending.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Burrito posted:

Punk put him in the Anaconda Vise, he instantly tapped out, before he even fully had it applied!

In no way was it a screwjob ending.

I don't even know to believe you but to make Taker tap out is kind of like having a long title reign. It's meaningful. drat if it was clean.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gatts posted:

I don't even know to believe you but to make Taker tap out is kind of like having a long title reign. It's meaningful. drat if it was clean.

Basically Punk put Taker into the Vice and Teddy made Armstrong call for the bell, with Vince the shadowy figure causing all of this to happen but putting all the blame on Teddy who was on Super Quadruple Secret Probation at the time.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gatts posted:

It was a rehash of the Montreal Screwjob at breaking point, all organized by Vince McMahon through a reluctant Teddy Long. It was the start of the build up to bring Bret Hart back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

It was a rehash of the Montreal Screwjob at breaking point, all organized by Vince McMahon through a reluctant Teddy Long. It was the start of the build up to bring Bret Hart back.

I don't think it had anything to do with the Bret build. It seemed to be a storyline that was leading somewhere important and then just petered out. Doing such a weak rehash of Montreal 3 months before you are going to bring up the real thing is really really dumb, for their sakes I hope they didn't think Bret was likely to come in at the time.