Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I did not have a tripod nor any idea of what I was doing, but I still ended up taking some pictures of Hawaii.

Here is the full set (there are more landscapes after the first page or two: http://photos.dunxphoto.com/Travel/Hawaii/

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
What's going on with the water to the right in all of your Lanikai shots? Looks like you put a GND on sideways.

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 29, 2010

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I don't know what that means.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_neutral_density_filter

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Ah.

I have no idea, it's not like that in all the pics, but I definitely see what you mean. I'm not really sure.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Love the thread everyone. Here's a few I took recently on a trip to Arkansas. Before these it'd been about 5 years since I did any landscape work (and that was a crappy P&S) so I'd appreciate any critic's on composure, etc. I'm personally very happy with the post processing, but would love any critics there as well.

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Always nice stuff in here.

Makin' trees look sexy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

It's snowy and I can't go do poo poo so you get another photo.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I, too, greatly enjoy shooting landscapes from airplanes.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

ConspicuousEvil posted:

This is just great.

mCpwnage
Dec 5, 2007

Motherfuckers, If it says 55 drive 55.
I just posted this on PAD, but I'm kind of curious what sort of reception it would get here.

the hassler
Nov 1, 2004

kiss me i'm todd it

mCpwnage posted:

I just posted this on PAD, but I'm kind of curious what sort of reception it would get here.

It's very pleasing on the eyes, however I feel the processing is a bit dark, and I'm having a mindfuck trying to figure out scale in the image. Composition and subject matter is pretty awesome though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I like the contrast a lot, reminds me of wet plate photography. Except you actually have a sky!

mCpwnage
Dec 5, 2007

the hassler posted:

It's very pleasing on the eyes, however I feel the processing is a bit dark, and I'm having a mindfuck trying to figure out scale in the image. Composition and subject matter is pretty awesome though.
Those are two people on the middle-right along with a staircase. I thought they would help give scale.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
This thread hasn't been updated in awhile so I thought I would toss up a couple I shot with my Hasselblad in San Francisco. These are your standard Golden Gate Bridge shots but I was trying to do something a little bit different with them.

This was taken on Ektar 100, but looked flat so I converted it to B&W.

Here's another I had posted in the Snapshot thread but intended to post here. Also Ektar 100 but the lighting and fog made it look too flat. Scanned on Epson V700. I don't care for the contrail in the shot but don't feel like trying to photoshop it out.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2753/4371099585_11a0b8141e.jpg][/img]

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

mCpwnage posted:

Your horizon is ever-so-slightly crooked, but I'll be damned if I'm not gonna favorite it! :v:

You could have gone B&W, or sepia, or whatever, but you chose this blue/yellow duotone. I can't think of another way to describe it than "comfortable".

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One more.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Here are a few from New Zealand, I've been there so many times and still want to take pictures there every day.

Lake Wanaka:

My office view (literally):

Milford Sound:

mCpwnage
Dec 5, 2007

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

big cheese posted:

My office view (literally):

gently caress you so much.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Nice shot Reichstag, I wish the perspective would literally just be top-down though.

fenner fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 1, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Pano from the weekend.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

mCpwnage posted:

This is great.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
What's the opinion on shooting at or near f/22? The web seems to be awash with discussion that this simply results in diffusion and softness. Yet browse a collection of the best landscapes, as I did not so long ago at the Landscape Photographer of the Year, and large portion, if not a majority, are at f/22.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

What's the opinion on shooting at or near f/22? The web seems to be awash with discussion that this simply results in diffusion and softness. Yet browse a collection of the best landscapes, as I did not so long ago at the Landscape Photographer of the Year, and large portion, if not a majority, are at f/22.

I'm not sure why f/22 would cause diffusion or softness. I'd say your best bet would be to shoot the same shot at multiple apertures and see for yourself. Shooting at f/22 gives you nearly infinite DOF, which is often times desired for landscape photography.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Shooting at f22 or something is comparable to shooting wide open (kind of) yes you will probably loose some quality to diffraction but unless it is a really terrible lens it probably will not cripple your image. Like dik-dik said it is often more important to have a large DOF, although if you are shooting wide then even at f10 you are going to have a pretty large DOF.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dik-dik posted:

I'm not sure why f/22 would cause diffusion or softness. I'd say your best bet would be to shoot the same shot at multiple apertures and see for yourself. Shooting at f/22 gives you nearly infinite DOF, which is often times desired for landscape photography.

No, you can't simply stop down infinitely and maintain sharpness.

Diffraction and Photography

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
Normally youŽll be shooting landscapes with a wide angle lens of some sort, so stopping down to f/22 is not only unneccessary but diffraction will reduce image quality, especially with a crop camera.

Focus at the hyperfocal distance for your given aperture and focal length and youŽll have the greatest amount of DOF possible.
IŽm using my tokina 11-16mm a lot for landscapes and at 11mm and f/5.6 (its sharpest aperture) the hyperfocal distance is 1.14m (3.73ft) giving you huge DOF.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

torgeaux posted:

No, you can't simply stop down infinitely and maintain sharpness.

Diffraction and Photography

Oh, right. Good old physics. I would still maintain, though, that the advice "I'd say your best bet would be to shoot the same shot at multiple apertures and see for yourself" still stands (although I admit it's sort of a cop out). That said, if you're going to be shooting at apertures that approach f/22, you probably do want to test your equipment and see where the diffraction starts to ruin your images, instead of just guessing.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 9, 2010

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm getting some good overall ideas here and wanted to ask what to look for specifically with a trip I'll be taking soon.

I've been invited to a conference in April in Scottsdale, AZ. I've been in Arizona twice as a kid and remember finding the area to be loving gorgeous. Here's what I'm planning to take:

Olympus E-410 Body
25mm f/2.8
14-54mm f/3.5-5.6
40-150mm f/3.5-4.5

I don't know if I'll have the space to pack a tripod (I doubt it), and the best I can hope for in terms of free time is maybe one afternoon/evening. Is there anything I could rig up while there to use for stability for some longer shots? I'm completely new to landscape shooting but I'll be damned if Scottsdale loving Arizona isn't a great place to at least try it out.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

DJExile posted:

I don't know if I'll have the space to pack a tripod (I doubt it), and the best I can hope for in terms of free time is maybe one afternoon/evening. Is there anything I could rig up while there to use for stability for some longer shots? I'm completely new to landscape shooting but I'll be damned if Scottsdale loving Arizona isn't a great place to at least try it out.

Scottsdale is urbanized and spread-out...really it isn't that great a place to take landscape photos. If you can get out of the Phoenix metro area, drive a couple hours north to Sedona or the Oak Creek Canyon area, closer to Flagstaff. If not, then within the area (ie. 30 minutes by car -- Phoenix is huge) we've got the Phoenix Mountain Preserve, which can be really pretty, especially around dawn when the light just starts to come over the mountains. If you have evenings free, well, Arizona's famous for its sunsets. It's just a problem getting out of this goddamn huge spread out urbanity :argh:

Then again, there are beautiful photos everywhere.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 10, 2010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

orange lime posted:

Scottsdale is urbanized and spread-out...really it isn't that great a place to take landscape photos. If you can get out of the Phoenix metro area, drive a couple hours north to Sedona or the Oak Creek Canyon area, closer to Flagstaff. If not, then within the area we've got the Phoenix Mountain Preserve, which can be really pretty (especially around dawn when the light just starts to come over the mountains). If you have evenings free, well, Arizona's famous for its sunsets. It's just a problem getting out of this goddamn huge spread out urbanity :argh:

Then again, there are beautiful photos everywhere.

I won't have a rental car :sigh: I'll see about the sunsets. If nothing else there should be something around the area, because the company is putting us up in the Westin Kierland :toot: I'd imagine somewhere around those golf courses and such are a couple good shots. Hope so anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

I'm getting some good overall ideas here and wanted to ask what to look for specifically with a trip I'll be taking soon.

I've been invited to a conference in April in Scottsdale, AZ. I've been in Arizona twice as a kid and remember finding the area to be loving gorgeous. Here's what I'm planning to take:

Olympus E-410 Body
25mm f/2.8
14-54mm f/3.5-5.6
40-150mm f/3.5-4.5

Comedy option: Buy a canon.

Real? If you cannot take a tripod, buy one when you get there. A $20 tripod that you throw away will be invaluable. If not, either pack or purchase on the other end, a bean bag support. One gallon ziplock almost filled with dry rice or beans, then inside another one gallon ziplock.