Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Dubs posted:

In a totally rad 45min plastic welding class i had to take(eng degree prerequisite) the guy showed us how to do this on fairings. Scrape some plastic off the inside, hit it with some chems to goo it up and then filled some scratches with it. Better than body filler i suppose?

ABS cement, available at any home improvement store. It does bond better than bondo but it doesn't seem to sand as well. That's strictly my opinion, and it wouldn't hurt anyone to try it for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Dubs posted:

Yeeeahp.

FCR carb

Got this installed and running.. kinda. The loving vacuum attachment broke as i was putting it in, luckily i could back it out easily as its make of butter, but it started up on prime first go. ( Suzuki part atleast )

It started cold with the choke in and out (airbox cover was off still), so its a little bit lean maybe?, I need a cold morning to find out because its hot at the moment.

Actually questions,

1. Is there an easy way to attach throttle cables that i don't know? I got big rear end hand and tiny fingers to start with, then add tiny spaces and im hosed.

I thought my car oil filter was bad. (tiny JAPPPPPPSSSSS :argh:)

2. ... Questions thread.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I helped a friend change the throttle cable on his bike and the trick was that one of us pulled the carb into throttle wide open position which allowed the other to get the cable up in there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

I'm 99% sure he's running a push/pull setup. But honestly, what are the chances of that happening? All of the flatslides I've ever dealt with have really, really serious closing springs. My racebike didn't run pull cables, but you are talking about 2 smaller cylinders.

The chances are slim, but it does happen. Usually its in conjunction with a sticky slide, and the little things add up to make it happen.

Of course you can hit the kill switch or pull the clutch, but depending on what you're doing, just a half second or so of extra full throttle when you arent expecting it can throw you off your game. Happened to me on my CB750, and I drat near wadded the thing up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dubs posted:

1. Is there an easy way to attach throttle cables that i don't know? I got big rear end hand and tiny fingers to start with, then add tiny spaces and im hosed.

Install cables, then install carbs. That's how I do it.

Phat_Albert posted:

The chances are slim, but it does happen. Usually its in conjunction with a sticky slide, and the little things add up to make it happen.

Of course you can hit the kill switch or pull the clutch, but depending on what you're doing, just a half second or so of extra full throttle when you arent expecting it can throw you off your game. Happened to me on my CB750, and I drat near wadded the thing up.

Alright, yeah...I'll keep that in mind. I think the concern is a lot lower on the CVK40 that my g/f's bike runs because it's just a standard CV carb, but...eh.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hmmm, check out this ebay user

He's got a fuckton of used, "as new" TomTom Rider 2s for as little as $149. Any reason to suspect tomtomfoolery? Also he is a dick that won't ship out of the states, would anyone receive and reship for me? I need to look into mail forwarding anyway.

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 23, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

He's got a fuckton of used, "as new" TomTom Rider 2s for as little as $149. Any reason to suspect tomtomfoolery? Also he is a dick that won't ship out of the states, would anyone receive and reship for me? I need to look into mail forwarding anyway.

You can send it to me, and I'll test it and then reship it for you :haw:

I've shipped a bunch of stuff for goons and with the exception of one minor issue where it disappeared into the bowels of customs for a month and a half, everything's gone smoothly :)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Anyone got a good breakdown (or link thereof) for the basic UJM traditional bikes?

I'm looking to get a basic UJM, ideally under 400lbs and with at least 40hp (450-550cc?), so something nimble enough to be a fun city bike in DC but with enough move to be able to hold 70mph on the highway without straining. I don't have any need to go faster than that except brief bursts for passing.

Thing is, such bikes are a maze of two-letter prefixes for Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki.

Does the following cover most such bikes?

-Honda: CB (CB450, CB500, etc)
-Suzuki: GS
-Yamaha: XS
-Kawasaki: KZ

Of such bikes, if I get one in running condition from mid-70s to mid-80s, will I generally do fine, or are there certain "OMG do not get an XS from 1978-1981 since the electrical is almost assuredly shot and impossible to re-harness."?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Install cables, then install carbs. That's how I do it.

Alright, yeah...I'll keep that in mind. I think the concern is a lot lower on the CVK40 that my g/f's bike runs because it's just a standard CV carb, but...eh.

Yeah the concern is nill on the CVK since the slide sticking makes no difference if the butterfly still works.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

You can send it to me, and I'll test it and then reship it for you :haw:

I've shipped a bunch of stuff for goons and with the exception of one minor issue where it disappeared into the bowels of customs for a month and a half, everything's gone smoothly :)

Thanks, but I just found out he sells some refurbished units with Euro maps and shipping to Norway. $160 for a Tomtom Rider 2 has got to be good right? It doesn't come with the RAM mount, although he has some units listed for $260 which does. I have a RAM mount anyway, worst case I need a new adapter and that's like $10 from the UK. Hovering over Buy It Now, if anyone knows some reasons not to buy Tomtom please let me know.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
My friend's birthday is this weekend and I want to get him something motorcycle related. He just got new gloves boots and pants though, so I'm not too sure what to get. He rides an '07 675 Daytona. Anyone have an idea of any vaguely motorcycle related gifts under $100 for him? Thanks!

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Ola posted:

I'd be amazed if those didn't "fall off a truck" but thats really his problem (and whoever owned the truck). If I needed a GPS I'd be jumping on one immediately.

Edit: Gets popcorn. :f5:
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 23, 2010

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

King of all Machines Operate posted:

My friend's birthday is this weekend and I want to get him something motorcycle related. He just got new gloves boots and pants though, so I'm not too sure what to get. He rides an '07 675 Daytona. Anyone have an idea of any vaguely motorcycle related gifts under $100 for him? Thanks!

Get him these. The stock headlights are weak as gently caress.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...id=390139996551

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pr0zac posted:

If I needed a GPS I'd be jumping on one immediately.

I'm guessing these are bulk purchased warranty/return units from Tomtom, a lot of big ebayers work like that. But drat these impulse purchases. I have a non-bike Garmin Nuvi which works just fine, although there's some wonkiness with the USB charger. If the problem is in the unit, fair nuff I might need a replacement but if it's in the charger, the replacement is really cheap. I'll figure that out properly before I spend what could otherwise be a new rear tire.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Ola posted:

I looked up some reviews of the Rider 2 online and there's at least some very vocal people who hate it. I see claims of it not being very legible in the daylight, having a shoddy mount, and having ancient software compared to the likes of Garmin. Proceed with caution.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TomTom is the bottom rung of the GPS ladder as far as I'm concerned. Equivalent Garmin units have always been much nicer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phew, the impulse purchase jitters have passed and I might make it to the next paycheck without being completely broke.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

fyi if you're getting a RAM mount for anything, coat every fastener with light oil and keep it oiled or do something because it will rust to gently caress exposed to the elements.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Minor?! For you maybe. :mad:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

Minor?! For you maybe. :mad:

I'm firmly blaming your customs for that. American shipping can do no wrong :smug:

No seriously, I have no idea how that poo poo ended up happening. Maybe I'm on double secret shipping probation and they triple scan anything I send outside of the US :tinfoil:

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Did you forget to pack it in coffee beans?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

Did you forget to pack it in coffee beans?

I thought I was supposed to pack it in carpet fresh cut with rat poison :ohdear:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I bought an old school Minolta lens on ebay in late December. It was sold from the US and spent a month in El Salvador before finally coming to Norway.

I've managed to stifle the impulse purchases on Tomtoms and GoPros, but just ordered some red rim tape. Gonna black out those rims and tape them up while changing tires.

By the way, if anyone is upgrading to a GoPro HD from a 3 megapixel version, I'll be interested in purchasing the old one.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Well, my warranty expire in November 2009. My coworker figured out that the screw is #23 on this diagram:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m18233sch597715
JB Welding time this weekend, it looks like.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Anyone have any comments on dealing with motorcycle dealers? What can you get away with at this point in the year? What fees are bullshit, what fees are not? Any good strategies?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Negotiate on OTD price only. You can get away with a lot, so try for a free Shoei while you're at it.

Motorcycle "financing" is basically a credit card with a promotional rate. That rate will skyrocket in 2 or 3 years, so plan your payoff accordingly.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ola posted:

I bought an old school Minolta lens on ebay in late December. It was sold from the US and spent a month in El Salvador before finally coming to Norway.

I sent something to Romania once. When the Post Office clerk rang it up at the last moment I noticed that the screen said GREAT BRITAIN.

I said, "No, it's going to Romania." and she said, "That's not in England?" :ughh:

I understand why poo poo like that happens now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's snowing like a motherfucker right now and the news hinted that there could be snow on the ground until April. :smith: I can't remember being as depressed as I am now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I got an e-mail from bike bandit today about my 2002 Suzuki GSX-R750 K2 and products they recommended for me:

I really don't know what the rain suit is for.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Any guesses what this wrecked SV650 is worth? It seems like a fun project, but I have no idea about value or parts pricing.

quote:

I have a 2004 Suzuki SV 650 with about 12,000 miles on it that I crashed 2 years ago. I hit a deer going around a slow speed corner (30 mph or so) and the bike took a pretty good tumble. My frame sliders protected the most important parts, but there was still a good bit of damage. The good news- Motor is perfect, frame is straight, forks are straight, wheels are straight, tires are good. The bad news- the speedo cluster is totally shot, the handlebars bent beyond recognition, throttle housing destroyed, headlight housing damaged, but probably salvageable, Yoshimura muffler has a hole in it, maybe patchable, tail plastic and light is destroyed, but I have nice replacements for both already.

My plan was to turn it into a streetfighter style over the winter, but I was way too busy starting my business, and just haven't had the time or drive to get started since. Before the wreck, this bike ran beautifully and very strong, it was maintained with great care and never abused (until I ran it directly into a deer of course). I'm not sure what this bike is worth given it's current condition, but I'm not sure it would take too much work to get it back into working order. I would entertain both cash and/or trade offers. As for a trade offer, I would love to have a dual sport or a dirt bike that I could make street legal, but I would possibly consider any working motorcycle, just give me a shout. Also interested in pro-quality woodworking tools. I will entertain all offers, but I ask that you don't give a ridiculous offer, I could part this thing out and make some excellent cash, I just don't have the time or desire.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd say approximately a grand. He could part it and make more money than that, but Gen 2 SVs are starting to get down into the 3k range for a decent one, and if you figure there's a grand in assorted parts plus your time to get it nice, that comes out to a reasonable price. You get a discount for your time and investment, and he gets out of it without having to deal with parting the bike.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Z3n posted:

I got an e-mail from bike bandit today about my 2002 Suzuki GSX-R750 K2 and products they recommended for me:

I really don't know what the rain suit is for.

the beanie helmet made me giggle

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wheelies II: Wheelierest

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wheelies II covers how to wheelie in large groups across Bay Area bridges. The rain suit is for waiting for the tow truck to pick up your wrecked bike on that bridge.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Some website flogging Ducati poo poo posted:

You'll look like a member of the Ducati Marlboro team wearing this shirt at the track. The stripes along the sleeves, the corse shield above the heart and the classic red and black Ducati colors will have you looking like an official member of the Ducati team! What a great way to show your passion on or off your bike.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Ola posted:

It's snowing like a motherfucker right now and the news hinted that there could be snow on the ground until April. :smith: I can't remember being as depressed as I am now.

Same here, I discovered the bad news that it was gonna snow all week here in New York til next Monday when sun comes in without snow. Cue constant checking of Yahoo! weather every day, hoping for earlier receding of the snowstorms. Today the forecast for next week is changed, saying that it'll be snowing well into next week.

What the. :(

It didn't snow much in January, why the hell did it have to snow so much now? :(

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
E: I'm dumb

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Ola posted:

I'll bet you don't want to hear that I put 200 miles on the bike last weekend, in Alaska....

We foolishly squandered our snow on highway closing avalanches.

I went skiing the week before that

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gnomad posted:

The roads are clear!

The main roads are clear in town and I've gone out riding the last couple of days. The best part was the triple-take from the cop going around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

I'll bet you don't want to hear that I put 200 miles on the bike last weekend, in Alaska....

We foolishly squandered our snow on highway closing avalanches.

I went skiing the week before that

God that last picture is great.

Are you still running studded tires?