Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Finally got it all back together after the top end job, god drat shim under bucket bullshit takes too long. Got a high compression piston in there now. First race this season march 28th!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Put the front and rear suspension on the frame, also installed the wheels. Put the brakes on and promptly pushed the rear brake pedal while the reservoir was upside down, so now I have to bleed the brakes.

But still, if I get up early tomorrow, maybe I can get the engine together and in the frame!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
The ST's right side headlamp decided it didn't like me anymore on the way home this evening, so I grabbed a set of Silverstar Ultras and tossed them in. Huge improvement compared to the 7 year old OEM bulbs.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Shoveled the Ninja out and fixed it up/rode it. You know this whole mass centralization thing is cool and all, but pulling the gas tank off just to top off the coolant isn't. Today is oil and filter and fix squeaky brakes, tomorrow is pick up new tires.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Changed the oil in the DRZ and SV. Then got comfortable dragging knee on a motard for a few hours.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A few hundred miles exploring Washingtons winding coastal roads and random offshoots, along this general route (HW 112)

And maybe one or two of these. It's so nice to have the sun back.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Fffuuuuuuuuu

Sprayed the clear coat on my tank+rear seat cowl too much in some spots and in ran. Time to sand it back down and do it over :negative:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I bought it. Pictures to come. :D

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Recorded my first video on the GoPro HD, only to come back and realize that the camera was 2 inches too low and the dashboard cut off half of what was in front of me. 1 hour video of the sky and trees and powerlines. :bravo:

1080p powerlines though! :hawaaaafap:

schreibs fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 22, 2010

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Went for a 172 KM ride on my GSXR 750. Fan freaking tastic. Thanks everyone who told me to buy it, totally worth it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

And maybe one or two of these. It's so nice to have the sun back.

A familiar view for all of us SMC owners :D

Last week she got new oil, filters and a new cam chain tensioner. All running sweet again. Soon will be the SC Project exhaust and at some point this year, airbox/SAS removal (pod filter straight onto the throttle body).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

A familiar view for all of us SMC owners :D

Last week she got new oil, filters and a new cam chain tensioner. All running sweet again. Soon will be the SC Project exhaust and at some point this year, airbox/SAS removal (pod filter straight onto the throttle body).

This is the hotness for one reason: No more airbox means lots of delicious intake noise. :hawaaaafap:

Today I: Tightened down the countershaft sprocket on the g/f's new DRZ440, overfilled it with oil, drained some oil out, and rode my friend's DRZ up some awesome nasty paved roads.

Now I just need to buy a sumo for me :(

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

This is the hotness for one reason: No more airbox means lots of delicious intake noise. :hawaaaafap:

Indeed, it will also mean extensive remapping. Airbox removal with the 690 has the effect of shifting the whole power/torque curve about 500rpm lower down the rev range. Much more useful in my opinion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brought her home in the rain with a forecast for snow this week. :mad:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Brought her home in the rain with a forecast for snow this week. :mad:

Thinking about doing the same for a Triumph Daytona 675...oh god talk me out of going to the dealership

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Rode it to class. Should replace one of my spark plug coils and clean my air filter sometime soon. A valve check should be in check but can't gather the motivation for that.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Made the best of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZEtOco1ZI4

Can anyone recommend me better video editing software? I used Avid Media Composer and not only did it turn my 1080p video into a huge pile of dithered poo poo but it also kept it at 1.8GB in size after compression.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That angle makes it seem like you wheelie everywhere you go.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

blugu64 posted:

That angle makes it seem like you wheelie everywhere you go.

See post above...but, I wish that was the case!

schreibs fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 23, 2010

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I left it at home today, and drove the car to work for the first time in... well, in a while. =( It's been snowing fairly hard here at work now for the last hour.

After waking up this morning, I could hear the "tick, tick" of sleet on the windows and when I let the dog out it was raining fairly heavy with a lot of sleet mixed in. There was sleet visible on the driveway and it was already starting to pile up on my car's wiper blades.

Being that this is Austin Texas and the Weather Channel was calling for low 30* weather all day and snow in the early afternoon, I decided that putting myself and my bike at risk today in heavy traffic with sleet and snow just wasn't worth it. I want to ride in the snow, but I'm not interested in getting hit by someone.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

schreibs posted:

Made the best of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZEtOco1ZI4

Perfect song for a video of some clouds.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Insured and registered the new VFR. It's cheaper to insure than the SV was, and really, I need to lower my coverage since I really don't need full coverage on a 12 year old bike.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

schreibs posted:

Thinking about doing the same for a Triumph Daytona 675...oh god talk me out of going to the dealership
They've really got some pretty good deals going, even so much that I was considering a new S3 or Daytona. The daytona is zero down/interest/payments for 6 months, the S3 is 5.9% APR and $1500 in triumph goodies. I HAVE A BIKE I LOVE MY BIKE oh god

Schmitty
Aug 2, 2004

Schmitty posted:

Installed rear brake pads over the last 2 nights (needed anti-squeal cream). Next up: Zard exhaust. Scheduled arrival, 2/22.

I have my bike parked in the living room, which has white carpet. :downs:

Got exhaust installed, mostly. Going from shotgun style to high mounts means an aftermarket bracket that needs some adjusting. Sounds pretty drat good, makes my house smell like a gas station though. Needs less Illinois snow :(

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
A lot of prep work. Some painting. Got high off fumes.

I'm never painting my own plastics again.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Got a new set of tires mounted on the SF, got the suspension all tuned in for my weight/size, got various nuts and bolts replaced or tightened where they've made a run for freedom.

Talked at length about tuning possibilities of different ECU's and setups for my duc. Oh my. Probably shouldn't have had that conversation. Took out another streetfighter that had a really nice PC3 tune done to it, then went to the dyno and looked at about 3 dozen different tunes for SF's and 1098's and all the results.

That's gunna hurt the wallet in the future...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
WOO!

I rode two out of three of 'em. Not super far, but I was out for about a half hour on each of 'em. That SR250 I picked up a few weeks ago is just...hilariously fun.

OK, fine. So it's got a piddly 17 HP compared to the XS400's 34. It doesn't weigh anything, so it *feels* ridiculously fast in comparison. Me likey.

That blue $40 JoeRocket jacket I got from NewEnough fits *SO* much better than borrowing Jendywo's JR jacket. It's so comfortable it seriously feels like wearing nothing at all. Same for the new helmet. It fogged up just a little bit when I was stopped and changing bikes and didn't put the visor up, but as soon as I was moving at all it cleared right up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ordered tires for the DRZ, tried mounting a new rear on the SV (can't get the drat thing to seat), worked on low speed technique in the back yard with the KDX.

Hope to get the SV tire finished up tonight so I can go ride tomorrow. Room mate is picking up a battery for the DRZ either tonight or tomorrow morning. Either way I should have a street legal bike to ride.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Drove myself crazy trying to find the nuts that hold the motor and subframe on my bike. It should not be that hard to find an M10 nylon nut with a 1.25 pitch but jesus is it ever. I checked every parts store, hardware store and even Walmart. Nothing! I've got one more place to try tommorow, so heres hoping.

Other than that, the crankcases are back together and in the frame. I've currently got one piston soaking in some Seafoam to clean it up.

Edit: Guess which is dirty and which is clean, Win a prize!

Chairon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 28, 2010

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
I can't put into words how stressful today has been. Wait, yes I can.
FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK!

First, I just went out and bought oil for my bike since it's about that time and I wanted to put in my new oil filter. I undo the nut on the bottom and let the oil drain out and I take off the oil filter. No problem so far, but then I install the new filter and start pouring in my new oil. See the problem yet? I forgot to put the nut on the bottom back in so I poured 3.3 quarts of oil back into my bike before I realized this. That stuff was expensive too! poo poo!! I can't even get the oil again until Tuesday as the place is closed on Sunday and Monday.
Silver lining: I flushed out ALL the old oil so my bike will be nice and clean come the new oil.

Second, once again we jumped the gun on accident with my fairings and screwed up a piece again. We had to re-sand it and have to paint it again tomorrow. I'm about to take it to a body shop because I want to smash the drat thing to a million pieces.

Third, my dad installed some new button after my brother broke the starting button on his bike. Worked perfectly until an hour later when he showed my brother...realized he put glue in the wrong spot and the button got glued making it useless.
/rant

It's been a very bad day in my garage :(

Oh wait, the only successful thing today was changing the triple clamp from my old scratched up to a nice non scratched one!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Fantastipotamus posted:

Today I reinstalled my soldered gauges back on my Speed Triple, figuring it'd go one of three ways:

A) the gauges work fine, as does the bike
B) the gauges work the way they did before (busted buttons) and the bike works
C) something got soldered wrong, and bricked the gauges which gives me a 420lb paperweight.

I'm pleased to say that it was A).

After reinstalling everything, including the battery, I took it outside the storage unit to start it up (since it was 45 degrees) telling myself I was only going to start it. Then I started it.. and sat on it. 'BUT THATS IT' I told myself.. nope, couldn't help it. Sunglasses, jeans, sneakers and my alpinestars hoodie was my gear today, but I only went around for a few minutes, and hit no major roads. Man, it felt really good to get back out there, even for a few minutes. Now I just want winter gone. :(

I also took a few pics so I can figure out what the suspension is current set on, and I need to also check into when to read the coolant level, because it looked VERY low.

that is obscenely sexy! For my next bike I'm looking at a street triple myself, Ducati Monster or Agusta Brutale. Love the naked look but sports touring is looking like the way to go for long rides I wanna do...

Here's what I did to mine (I'm a complete noob), got brand new Gladius, removed shite silver fairings, replaced stupid drumstick pipe with IXIL GP-2 pipe (sounds awesome)

looking for new mirrors perhaps as well

Before cosmetic procedure

after cosmetic procedure

step 2: go for ride with an engineer :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

xkem posted:

that is obscenely sexy! For my next bike I'm looking at a street triple myself, Ducati Monster or Agusta Brutale. Love the naked look but sports touring is looking like the way to go for long rides I wanna do...

Here's what I did to mine (I'm a complete noob), got brand new Gladius, removed shite silver fairings, replaced stupid drumstick pipe with IXIL GP-2 pipe (sounds awesome)

looking for new mirrors perhaps as well
Thanks! I like the changes you made, funny how a small change like pulling that very small plastic fairing thing off can change how a bike looks. The exhaust is neat too, it looks like it'd be loud as hell..

I checked out an MV Brutale, and due to these 'wings' they put in the tank (which you're supposed to tuck your knees under), I couldn't fit on in comfortably. My legs were just long enough that they just didn't quite fit. So if you're in the 6+ foot height category (which it looks like you may be), you might find them a challenge, though you might be alright if you drop the pegs a bit. The triple proved to be everything I was looking for, and I guess I never really looked too seriously at the Duc's because the power was down from what I was trading (Buell XB12) and the maintenance on the older ones scared me off (I wasn't looking newer).

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I finally properly spliced enough wires to hook up the trailtech vapor I have on the ninjette to the wiring harness without doing very, very naughty things with wires.

Now the battery is charging, and assuming everything on it runs okay its going up on craigslist.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
It got up to 40 today so I wanted to go for a ride. I started to install the battery and I dropped the nut. 6 freaking hours later, I found it in the sprocket case.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Upside Potential posted:

It got up to 40 today so I wanted to go for a ride. I started to install the battery and I dropped the nut. 6 freaking hours later, I found it in the sprocket case.

That sounds awful. Did you at least have time to ride it after all that mess?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fantastipotamus posted:

Thanks! I like the changes you made, funny how a small change like pulling that very small plastic fairing thing off can change how a bike looks. The exhaust is neat too, it looks like it'd be loud as hell..

I'm seriously curious what those plastic things are for since just removing those improves the looks a ton. Plus, it would be more plastic for making Gladius Lifestyle Pants with.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.

schreibs posted:

That sounds awful. Did you at least have time to ride it after all that mess?

Nope it got cold and started snowing. THIS IS THE WINTER OF MY DISCONTENT.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Upside Potential posted:

Nope it got cold and started snowing. THIS IS THE WINTER OF MY DISCONTENT.

this was my reaction to your description/picture

"geesus loving christ"

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Woot. After two weeks sitting apart in my garage, my bike is finally put back together. I'll get a picture of it later once the clear coat is hard enough that I can polish it+apply the decals.
Also checked the spark plugs today and they were pretty loose so I guess it was a good thing I checked. going to have to replace them soon as they're pretty old. Do most shops like Kragens and what not stock motorcycle spark plugs or do I need to find a motorcycle specific shop to get some?

Whiteboy fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

I'm seriously curious what those plastic things are for since just removing those improves the looks a ton. Plus, it would be more plastic for making Gladius Lifestyle Pants with.

well there is a fair bit of wiring and stuff underneath and after a first attempt at taking them off and having a look, it looked kind of ugly and "too naked" (this was with the original faggy pipe, too) but then upon mounting the new pipe and having a second go at taking the plastic off, I was a lot happier with it and decided to keep it off. It turns quite a few heads, too.