Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Put it in your awesome poptab purse!
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-pop-tab-purse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fooley posted:

If you click the link in the pattern, it looks like the whole point of the pattern is to find a use for those awful plastic bootleg slinkies people love to put in goodie bags.

Sheesh, at least when it's a crappy slinky you can still play with it the way you're supposed to play with a slinky.

(I hate slinkies because one made me fall down the stairs as a kid, stupid thing...)

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
No, no you can't. The drat thing is maybe an inch tall and good luck trying to get it to go down LEGO stairs, let alone regular ones.

I am bitter.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Blue_monday posted:

wandering: what kind of cast on do you use to teach?

Long tail cast one. What I do is I make sure they have a nice, long tail and tell them to cast on until they run out of space or they run out of tail.

Then I tell them to frog it all. :v:

They hate me for it, but after that they can do the cast on blindfolded!

Shnooks posted:

In other news, what the gently caress is this pattern? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/free-ufo-pattern

What the hell ravelry?

Never before have I been happy over my lack of crochet skills.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I never knew people started learning with anything but a long-tail :shobon: Guess I should thank my lucky stars my aunt knew what she was doing

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

Charmmi posted:

I need to make this and save it for when I'm 82 years old and on my 5th cat.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Wandering Knitter posted:

Never before have I been happy over my lack of crochet skills.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/slinky-ball

Gee, thanks grandma

a slinky ball

super duper!

Actually, I'm forcing myself to learn to crochet but no, I will not make slinky balls. EVER.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ozma posted:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/slinky-ball

Gee, thanks grandma

a slinky ball

super duper!

Actually, I'm forcing myself to learn to crochet but no, I will not make slinky balls. EVER.

That's...very..

:psyduck:

Does the crochet thread know about this?

And is there something as equally batshit insane on the knitting side?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Charmmi posted:

Holy crap that made me laugh.

Who knew there were so many projects with slinkies.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Oh my lord. Sorry to link another, but:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/all-in-one-outfit-w-vest-for-american-girl-doll

...I wasn't a particularly girly girl but when I dreamed of having an american doll, that was NOT what I had in mind.

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

You have to save up one hundred and forty pop tabs to make that gem. That's a lot of aspartame, 'cause you know Donna drinks Diet.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Donna drinks Tab to make her tab purses. You loving know it.

Did you guys get the knitpicks today? Nice to see that hansi singh (sp)- maker of the loch ness, dumbo octopus, and anglerfish patterns- now has a book. Maybe that's old news to the rest of you, but I was pleasantly surprised.

It actually had some feasible patterns elsewhere this time around, which is unique for me. The felted fruit purses were cute and I enjoyed the sock patterns.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Cleaning out my room yesterday I found a severed knitted bear head with no eyes, so I stuffed him, gave him buttons and sewed him up with a pin back. He looks ashamed to be alive.

I still haven't got round to finishing the squid assembly. It feels like a waste of stuffing because I've done such a lovely job on the knitting and all its tentacles are "unique". :(

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I have to ask....why was there a severed bear head in your closet?

for content:

My wool from yarn.com should be coming soon. I'm going to do some nice fiddlehead mittens out of cascase 220 and robot mittens in malabrigo. I'm pretty excited. This will be the first time I've followed a colourwork pattern. I'm also going to actually make a gauge swatch!

My lace stole is coming along nicely. I'm almost done 1 ball of yarn, which means I'll have to buy a second one soon, and once thats finished the stole should be finished. I'm pretty excited!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Blue_monday posted:

I have to ask....why was there a severed bear head in your closet?

It's a traditional housewarming gift where I come from.

No really, I have no idea. I can only presume that at one point I was knitting a bear. A very small bear...

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

I'm digging the pin though!

I'm in a knitting rut I think. I dont really like the fiber I have here and I have been unable to find a pattern to match up with what I have. As it stands i'm just playing around with some of the cotton I have and different dish cloth patterns, and learning how to read charts. I've got some sport weight orange wool that I really want to find a project for but so far I've got nothing.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

madlilnerd posted:

It's a traditional housewarming gift where I come from.

No really, I have no idea. I can only presume that at one point I was knitting a bear. A very small bear...

Sell it on etsy as a voodoo ghost bear. I'm sure an asking price of $20.00 is perfectly reasonable.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Ozma posted:

Sell it on etsy as a voodoo ghost bear. I'm sure an asking price of $20.00 is perfectly reasonable.

I was thinking of making less shoddy, more appealing ones (maybe a panda...) and selling them for $3-$6 but now I don't want to :smith:

Although if I took your suggestion, it might end up on Regretsy and that's pretty much a guaranteed sale and $20. Hmmmm.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Just make sure to take a picture of it on a bright white background at an angle so you really can't see it clearly. Instant etsy money. :c00lbert:

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
Wow! I've been busy lately and havn't been checking this thread, so sorry for neglecting questions.

Glow in the dark yarn!?!?! :monocle: I must see this!

EVG posted:

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Any chance you have the pattern for a smaller size? I'd like to try this to use up 2 skeins of Vanna's Choice I bought on sale that it turns out I hate the feel of, but I'm pretty darn sure it's not enough. Also I have noooo idea where I'd put a squidly that big, but half the size is still large and perfect!

I'm still considering whether or not to post that, as it what I make for friends/potentially sell. I'll think about it.

madlilnerd posted:

SQUIIIIID UPDAAAAAAATE

The knitting is complete. The tentacles were a bit of a killer (you know second sock syndrome? Try fifth tentacle syndrome) and the end of the longer feeder tentacles is a bit of a wrestle, but they turn out really beautifully. My tentacles are all a unique and interesting length, due to my poor spacial awareness and inability to define an inch in my head.

I think I found a mistake in the pattern though :ohdear:. With the feeder tentacles, it says to decrease until you get 11sts and then KFB into every stitch so you have 24sts and then k1 KFB so you get 36sts. If you do it with 11sts, you get 22, not 24, so I missed that last decrease, leaving me with 12sts to increase into.

Anyway, I'm having so problems visualising how to attach it all together, can I get a photo of the bottom from underneath?

I'm loving the tentacle updates. Yeah, it definitely starts to drag around tentacle 5. The pattern mistake is probably due to the fact that I'm terrible at math. Sorry about that!

I'm also sorry about the vagueness of the last instructions there. I honestly had no clue how to describe what I did. But here's a pic if that will help. The best I can figure is I closed it like you would one of those bags that closes with a drawstring, then I knotted it really tightly. Maybe I should make a video or something while I close up the half-size one that I ought to be done with tomorrow evening.

Sensitive squidlings might want to look away...

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I can't wait to see finished squids!!!

Blackish Sheep fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 22, 2010

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

madlilnerd posted:

I was thinking of making less shoddy, more appealing ones (maybe a panda...) and selling them for $3-$6 but now I don't want to :smith:

Although if I took your suggestion, it might end up on Regretsy and that's pretty much a guaranteed sale and $20. Hmmmm.

Awww. :(

It is a guarantee for regretsy in that condition. But a well-made severed bear head might be kind of funny. I mean, I'd buy a PATTERN for it, maybe not the actual object. Do one of a panda with a pool of knitted blood and...

OK, I am into weird knits.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Ozma posted:

It is a guarantee for regretsy in that condition. But a well-made severed bear head might be kind of funny. I mean, I'd buy a PATTERN for it, maybe not the actual object. Do one of a panda with a pool of knitted blood and...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72906716@N00/sets/72057594095330901/

If only there were patterns for these. Of course, I'd probably never finish one, they look amazingly tedious.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
that tiger looks REALLY good, even without the wacky violence part.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.

Ozma posted:

We should be friends :3:

I have a whole collection of bizarre patterns and weird poo poo I've discovered online. Allow me to share some of my favorites:

Knitty: Housefrau

Knitted mustaches for every occasion

Various weird toys, including dandylions, a resistor, capacitor, grass, toilet paper, among other things. Super cute.

Adorable Wild Thing sweater!!!

And a couple things I've made:

caaaaaaaaaaake

Claude the lobster with a little scarf-thing

Slaughtermelon
Dec 24, 2007
The most metal fruit.

Long tail cast one. What I do is I make sure they have a nice, long tail and tell them to cast on until they run out of space or they run out of tail.

Then I tell them to frog it all. :v:

They hate me for it, but after that they can do the cast on blindfolded!

This is how I learned and I'm actually thankful for it. Knitting is a journey.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

I just bought the love bytes mitten pattern off of ravelry. It looks really simple and i've knitted some mittens before so I think i'll be alright. I've got the wool needed on the way (malabrigo) I forget which colours I chose right now but I think one of them was glazed carrot.

I cant wait till the yarn getrs here and I can start :3

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Blackish Sheep posted:

We should be friends :3:

I have a whole collection of bizarre patterns and weird poo poo I've discovered online. Allow me to share some of my favorites:

Knitty: Housefrau

Hey, one of my coworkers designed that!

Anyone else doing Ravelympics? I'm pretty sure the yarn gods REALLY don't want me getting mine done in time; I've had 2-3 yarn tangle situations so bad scissors were the only way to salvage anything, ripped the project 4-5 times before deciding to switch to a new pattern and finally after one more ripping have just completed the ribbing portion of the Razor Cami.

My boss, meanwhile just has to seam the Cowichan sweater she did in a knit-off against another girl at the store and still has ample time to do Sahara for her Olympics project.

At this rate I'll probably not even cast on my Central Park Hoodie before warmer temperatures make it obsolete. This is more or less okay, though, because I am adoring the patterns from Louisa Harding's new books Belle and Bijoux. They're just so unapologetically girly and the yarn is lovely and affordable!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Mochimochiland is great. I just did Hugs + Squoze, and I also bought the patterns for butterfull and sausage dogs.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Just, the groups. Search any goddamn topic in the world and there's a group of knitters devoted to it AND they have their own subforum. It's like a rabbit hole.
I don't knit, but my wife does, and this description is entertainingly ironic to me. Because I discovered this thread, just now, because she said 'I bet SA doesn't talk about knitting anywhere!' and I said 'Oh, I'll bet they do. I bet there's a thread.'

SA: Like a rabbit hole.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So I've got some mystery yarn here:

That's a size 5 DPN next to it for scale. It's way thinner than any other yarn I have and I've got 2-3 other balls of it (much larger than the ones in the picture) and I'd like to know: 1) How to identify it and 2) what to do with it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Roflex posted:

So I've got some mystery yarn here:

That's a size 5 DPN next to it for scale. It's way thinner than any other yarn I have and I've got 2-3 other balls of it (much larger than the ones in the picture) and I'd like to know: 1) How to identify it and 2) what to do with it.

Looks like fingering weight to me, but it's been a long time since I used any needle besides a 0 so I could be off. You can take a ruler and wrap the yarn around it to get the WPI (wraps per inch) and that will give you a good idea as to the weight. And once you know the weight you can search patterns on ravelry that are made with that weight!

You can also measure a few yards and weigh it to get an idea of how much a yard weighs and then weigh the whole thing to get an idea how many yards you have.

And if you want to know if it's wool or something else you could try burning a little of it or trying to felt a small bit of it.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Take a little bit and burn it. If it looks melty, it's probably synthetic. If it turns to ash then probably a natural fiber. If it smells like burning hair it's probably wool, if it smells like burning paper then probably cotton.

The felt test is good too, if it's an animal fiber it will felt easily, if cotton or acrylic then it will never felt.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Charmmi posted:

Take a little bit and burn it. If it looks melty, it's probably synthetic. If it turns to ash then probably a natural fiber. If it smells like burning hair it's probably wool, if it smells like burning paper then probably cotton.

The felt test is good too, if it's an animal fiber it will felt easily, if cotton or acrylic then it will never felt.

Unless it's superwash wool, possibly.

Also some wool that's been bleached to be bright white won't felt anymore. Obviously it's not wight but I don't know if maybe sometimes they bleach wool to lighten it before dying it a lighter color.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I only got into this business to make hippie hats, and hippie hats I shall make.

It was so much fun to make and I love the colors. I've been wearing it every day. And I finished it in one night, too! Ravelry link.

Speaking of strange patterns, I eat a lot of apples, yet something tells me I'll never need an apple cozy.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Hobo Camp posted:

Speaking of strange patterns, I eat a lot of apples, yet something tells me I'll never need an apple cozy.

But think of all those BRUISES!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Hobo Camp posted:

I'm pretty drat sure every object in existence has a knitted cozy for it.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

I'm pretty drat sure every object in existence has a knitted cozy for it.

Like stethoscopes. But at least the apple cozy is cute.

Edit: You know, I'm not all that surprised that there's a menstrual cup cozy either.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.
goddammit noro :swoon:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

hollaback grandma posted:

goddammit noro :swoon:

I'm going to marry noro when I grow up! :swoon:

Which reminds me, I have a ton of noro that I need to figure out something to do with it all. It can't all be scarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!
I have a confession about Noro. I hate working with it. Well, I hate working with Kureyon. Maybe when I get around to that Silk Garden I have in my stash box I'll be happier with it. Someone promise me I'll like it better.

I recently ended up with 5 skeins of Kureyon because I took an entrelac class at my local shop and my mom and her friends all decided they wanted to come too. So we get there and of course we have to buy the yarn for the class from the shop, so we all bought Kureyon because the colors are pretty (and it was the cheapest self-striping they had). Then when the class was over, they were all like "ok, this was fun but I'll never finish this and this yarn will go to waste, so here Fionnoulla, you take it." So I made an enlarged Booga bag out of it all. It came out beautiful and I love the bag, but I absolutely HATED actually knitting with Kureyon - knots and twisting and untwisting and sticks and leaves and poo poo just made it totally unpleasant. Plus, maybe I just got unlucky, but every single skein had at least 2 joins in it.