Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Agh, that's just sad that he made Teddy ring the bell. Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

I don't think it had anything to do with the Bret build. It seemed to be a storyline that was leading somewhere important and then just petered out. Doing such a weak rehash of Montreal 3 months before you are going to bring up the real thing is really really dumb, for their sakes I hope they didn't think Bret was likely to come in at the time.

I think the fact that they hinted that Vince was behind it and he denied it all the time yet everyone knew it was him and there was no comeuppance against him except for Bret getting name dropped seems like a possible build up. I'm pretty sure a couple of times when others brought it up to Vince about Bret and Taker's situations seeming similar Vince out right said he deserved to be screwed or Bret Screwed Bret, while Teddy, Armstrong, and Punk Screwed Taker.

vvvYeah that's what I assumed. It seemed like it was building up to someone big coming around and giving Vince his yearly rear end kicking.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 23, 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRayPer posted:

I don't think it had anything to do with the Bret build. It seemed to be a storyline that was leading somewhere important and then just petered out. Doing such a weak rehash of Montreal 3 months before you are going to bring up the real thing is really really dumb, for their sakes I hope they didn't think Bret was likely to come in at the time.

I think they were pushing an angle where Vince was basically an out of control egomaniac (big change in direction there!) lording it up over people - I recall at least two instances where his shenanigans caused somebody to want a match against him (Piper being one of them) and Vince laughed them of as not worthy of his attention.

My impression was that they were planting the seeds of a storyline leading into Mania that they HOPED would involve Bret Hart, but could also have easily involved somebody else like for example Hogan or Austin or hell, even Cena if it came down to it.

Pure conjecture though, it's just the impression I got.

Guzim
Nov 10, 2007

Take me away from this big bad world and agree to marry me. So we can start over again.
I was always under the impression that they were originally going for Taker-Vince at Wrestlemania.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Guzim posted:

I was always under the impression that they were originally going for Taker-Vince at Wrestlemania.

I felt like they were setting up a Punk as Vince's favorite storyline which seemed like it might be a part of a long term Punk vs Undertaker program, but it sure didn't play out that way!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I was reading a fluff piece about the biggest upsets in sports, and it got me thinking. What is the biggest upset in modern day wrestling (since Hogan won the WWF Title from the Iron Sheik)?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I was reading a fluff piece about the biggest upsets in sports, and it got me thinking. What is the biggest upset in modern day wrestling (since Hogan won the WWF Title from the Iron Sheik)?

Hart (an upper midcarder at best) beating Flair for the WWF title on a house show.

Either that or...

Russo or Arquette winning the WCW title.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Hart (an upper midcarder at best) beating Flair for the WWF title on a house show.

Either that or...

Russo or Arquette winning the WCW title.

I had been thinking the Lightning Kid beating Razor Ramon would probably be the biggest one, but that Hart title win came out of nowhere and you're right about his position at the time. Hart beating Flair in 1992 is like if The Miz or John Morrison beat Cena at a house show today.

I agree that both Russo and Arquette are undeserving champions, but at that point in WCW, that type of stuff was almost projected.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I had been thinking the Lightning Kid beating Razor Ramon would probably be the biggest one, but that Hart title win came out of nowhere and you're right about his position at the time. Hart beating Flair in 1992 is like if The Miz or John Morrison beat Cena at a house show today.

I agree that both Russo and Arquette are undeserving champions, but at that point in WCW, that type of stuff was almost projected.

More like if Ted DiBiase beat Triple H

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

What should they have done? Flair gave notice that he was leaving, Raw didn't exist back then, the next PPV was about 6 weeks away and Vince was being investigated for supplying steroids. I know a lot of people on this board hate Bret Hart but he was over with the crowd and they needed someone to step up.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

What should they have done? Flair gave notice that he was leaving, Raw didn't exist back then, the next PPV was about 6 weeks away and Vince was being investigated for supplying steroids. I know a lot of people on this board hate Bret Hart but he was over with the crowd and they needed someone to step up.

I don't think anyone was faulting them for doing it :confused:

The question was about the biggest upsets in history. Bret winning definitely qualifies as one just because he wasn't in the title picture at the time and no one would have expected him to win.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Flair left in January. I thought Flair dropped the belt because Flair had a potentially career-threatening inner-ear condition and Vince needed to get the belt off of him right away.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

What the gently caress? I'm not saying it was a bad idea. He asked what the biggest upset of all time is, and Bret Hart beating Ric Flair sure qualifies, especially on a house show when no one expected it. It was so unexpected that Dave Meltzer blew off the first few people who reported it to him, and only when wrestlers started calling him did he realize it was true.

Flair didn't give notice he was leaving. He was potentially retiring because of an inner ear condition that destroyed his equilibrium. He had to drop the belt and Bret was a good choice given the circumstances.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

You're mixing up three or four stories. Vince always intended to put the belt on Bret. It happened slightly earlier than expected because a blown Warrior suplex gave Flair vertigo and he needed time off, so he dropped the belt to Bret a couple days later and then flew to get treated.

Bret beat Flair in early October. Flair went on to compete at Survivor Series and Royal Rumble, and asked for his release in January. Vince granted it, with the famous condition that Flair lose the RAW Loser Leaves Town match to Perfect and finish all the house shows he'd been advertised for, which Flair had no problem doing.

EDIT: Or what the guys above me said.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

What the gently caress? I'm not saying it was a bad idea. He asked what the biggest upset of all time is, and Bret Hart beating Ric Flair sure qualifies, especially on a house show when no one expected it. It was so unexpected that Dave Meltzer blew off the first few people who reported it to him, and only when wrestlers started calling him did he realize it was true.

Flair didn't give notice he was leaving. He was potentially retiring because of an inner ear condition that destroyed his equilibrium. He had to drop the belt and Bret was a good choice given the circumstances.

Sorry, but you called him an upper mid-carder at best so I assumed you thought this was a bad idea.

Edit: Wouldn't Jericho beating both Austin and The Rock in the same night to unify the titles be the biggest upset ever?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Edit: Wouldn't Jericho beating both Austin and The Rock in the same night to unify the titles be the biggest upset ever?
I dunno, heels getting heelish wins are kind of in a different category I'd think.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

MassRayPer posted:

I think that was a few weeks after he dropped the title. The reason Hart got it was because Vince decided that he didn't want a heel champ and needed to switch it ASAP, but Hogan and Warrior were both gone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WeaselWeaz posted:

I think that was a few weeks after he dropped the title. The reason Hart got it was because Vince decided that he didn't want a heel champ and needed to switch it ASAP, but Hogan and Warrior were both gone.

No, Flair's ear injury was suffered at the hands of Warrior a few days before hand and was the reason the title change with Hart didn't feature him bumping around like a mad man.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Horowitz over Skip :downs:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Owen over Bret at WM10

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

aldo montoya over jerry lawler

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

dusty udder smoker posted:

aldo montoya over jerry lawler

Only an upset if it took place in Memphis.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
For those who know how was Wendi Richter screwed? I think I must have been a child or under 6 years old at that time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

For those who know how was Wendi Richter screwed? I think I must have been a child or under 6 years old at that time.

Hadn't signed a new deal so they put her in a match with a masked jobber. The jobber rolled her up and the ref counted the worst three-count ever (TNA included) to give the belt to the jobber who turned out to be Moolah.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Gatts posted:

Two or three people posted footage of it in the GDT but basically she was wrestling against "The Spider Lady" in a match, Spider Lady rolled her up in a small package, which she kicked out of, but the ref counted 3 anyways, and the Spider Lady won the title.

The Spider Lady was Moolah in a mask.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

The Kid over Razor Ramon

EDIT: That was posted already. Don't care :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This might actually be a bigger upset than Hart/Flair:

Misawa beating Jumbo in June of 1990 in his first Budokan main event. It launched Misawa's career to the stratusphere and wasn't decided upon until the day of the show. He had just dropped the Tiger Mask gimmick a month before.

While not close to that for historical signficance I remember being pretty shocked when Marufuji beat Akiyama for the GHC title in 2006.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Maybe not one of the biggest all time, but I don't think anyone thought Sheamus was going to win the title from Cena.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRayPer posted:

While not close to that for historical signficance I remember being pretty shocked when Marufuji beat Akiyama for the GHC title in 2006.

Wasn't this also shockingly quick, like 5 minutes?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wazzu posted:

Wasn't this also shockingly quick, like 5 minutes?

No, it was a full length NOAH main event. You might be thinking of when Morishima defended the ROH title in the Budokan against KENTA in like, 9 minutes.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
It was entirely meaningless to both their careers but I find it funny that Tito Santana beat The Undertaker.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

MassRayPer posted:

No, it was a full length NOAH main event. You might be thinking of when Morishima defended the ROH title in the Budokan against KENTA in like, 9 minutes.

That match was brutal and fast paced enough to understand, they couldn't go any longer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GOP posted:

That match was brutal and fast paced enough to understand, they couldn't go any longer.

Yeah, I didn't mind that either. It was like when Joe and AJ went 12 in AJ's last ROH match, or Joe and Angle went 12 in their first match. You can only throw bombs and kick out of moves for so long before it gets old.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

would Rey Jr beating Kevin Nash count as an upset, or was it booked too shittily for it to count as anything at all?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Speaking of Jericho unifying the world titles, how long did the champion carry the WCW and WWF title belts before they introduced the WWE Undisputed title?

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
It was an upset that they went on to do absolutely nothing with, yet nash will bring up all the time. Something he learned from Hogan and Kidman.

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Speaking of Jericho unifying the world titles, how long did the champion carry the WCW and WWF title belts before they introduced the WWE Undisputed title?

I remember HHH wearing both around his waist, but I'm pretty sure he was the first to use just one belt. I can't remember Hogan, Taker or Lesnar carrying two, but this is wild speculation on my part.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Trips won on March 17, Ric Flair debuted the new belt on April 1.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I hate the "beat the champion to get a title shot" booking that happens a lot. I feel like that's a relatively recent phenomenon (like, late-'90s). Did they actually do that a lot in the olden days and I just don't remember it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

How comes the WWE News and Other Top Stories, The Insider Thread is never updated anymore?