Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macheath
Jun 14, 2000

I am hope.
I was happier with Berserk before people started turning it into Neon Genesis Evangelion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nondeviant
Mar 14, 2005

Life's not fair, but at least it has a sense of humor.

Macheath posted:

I was happier with Berserk before people started turning it into Neon Genesis Evangelion

In Eva, Man came after God (who was never shown manifest); in Berserk, Man came before God (from what we've seen of the cosmology thus far). The cosmology of both stories have their main protagonist as the one who's going to metaphorically prick the bubble that is "reality/existence/divinity/whatever," but the interesting difference is one's doing it from the inside and the other is doing it from the outside.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

nondeviant posted:

In Eva, Man came after God (who was never shown manifest); in Berserk, Man came before God (from what we've seen of the cosmology thus far). The cosmology of both stories have their main protagonist as the one who's going to metaphorically prick the bubble that is "reality/existence/divinity/whatever," but the interesting difference is one's doing it from the inside and the other is doing it from the outside.

Also Guts is not a complete pussy protagonist. :colbert:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Diabetic posted:

Also Guts is not a complete pussy protagonist. :colbert:

Luckily the new movies seem to be taking a note from the manga and giving shinji a progressively larger backbone :D

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

nondeviant posted:

Man might've come before "The Idea of Evil", but I get the impression that elemental spirits certain gods...who might be, let's say...old...existed long before.

Speaking of which, raws for 312 is out. Droppy spends more time with the crazy girl who's name is Isma (DUN DUN DUN) while Schierke goes to investigate the island's connection to the Old Gods, and Guts and the other grown ups hang out in a crummy tavern filled with fish people (but they don't know they're fish people yet). Speaking of fish people, it turns out that Isma might be some kinda supernatural thing cuz Schierke sees a bunch of spectral fish flying around her head through her astral vision.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Diabetic posted:

I think he is saying that not everything from the astral realm is wanting to rape, eat, and kill people.

That's a given *tips hat at Puck*

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I suppose it's still worth questioning whether (indirect lost chapter spoilers) the human subconscious has given birth to anything besides The Idea of Evil. Like, say, something with a vested interest in free will. I don't think this would necessarily be a good direction for the story to take - a little too August Derleth in all likelihood - but you never know.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 23, 2010

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Anyone else predicting that Ishidoro will fall for the new girl, she'll die when Guts kills Cthulu as she's part of it, and he'll grow from the experience?

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

No new chapter date again. 3 chapters within a month or two and then an indefinite break has been Miura's pattern for the last few years. Only question now is whether this will be a shorter break than previous ones or longer.

Seeing as the chapter per year count has steadily fell for the last 5 years, I sadly don't see us getting more than 6 chapters this year. Including the 3 we have.

Maybe 7 if we're lucky. :v:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

What are the odds on how many chapters we get of Gutts fighting the Esoteric Order of Dagon before we're back to double-page spreads of Griffith?

Do you think Kentaro Miura is inspired by H.P Lovecraft in anyway? Not as much as by the recent showing of fish-people but more along the lines of the Vagina-Monsters (I'm fairly sure one Lovecraft Expert pretty much summarised that Howard's ultimate view of Cthulhu/Azathoth was a "space-vagina with tentacles") and the way there are no loving-gods and such.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wager there's not much double spreading left in Griffith's future. He'll get his coronation, and then maybe the reveal of the dark side to him being the "savior" (if there is one) and then nothing until his next confrontation with Guts.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Zorak posted:

That's a given *tips hat at Puck*

At least something more useful than Puck is anyway, if all the astral good guys were little elves that healed wounds and blew dandelions at people, it'd be no wonder the demons are more dominant.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Seeing the return of all those reaction shots in the chapter before current reminded me that the idea of Guts handing out pamphlets to cut down on all the awestruck gaping is still a good one

The Dalai Alana
Sep 28, 2001
If it weren't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments

bhsman posted:

Anyone else predicting that Ishidoro will fall for the new girl, she'll die when Guts kills Cthulu as she's part of it, and he'll grow from the experience?

No, I predict that she will become the newest member of their little group. They already have the Wind and Fire users after all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

The Dalai Alana posted:

No, I predict that she will become the newest member of their little group. They already have the Wind and Fire users after all.
Haha, this brings to mind a great combination scene...

WIND!

FIRE!

WATER!

...SWORD!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sindai posted:

Haha, this brings to mind a great combination scene...

WIND!

FIRE!

WATER!

...SWORD!

Didn't they say Guts killed so many demons already that his sword became attuned to the element of darkness?

"Wind! Fire! Water! Evil!" is more like it.

Calling that the girl is the Sea God

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 27, 2010

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
Wasn't the weapon Guts was going to receive Earth element? And didn't the new captain dude get that weapon or am I imagining that? It's been a while since I read that far back.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

canned_fruit posted:

Wasn't the weapon Guts was going to receive Earth element? And didn't the new captain dude get that weapon or am I imagining that? It's been a while since I read that far back.

No it was a fire axe I'm pretty sure. Of course, Guts has quite possibly the best weapon for fighting Apostles, so it's understandable why you wouldn't want to settle for second best.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I recall it being an earth axe, and I think they just left it there.

Ipava
Jan 21, 2004

Finally we're back to the old formula: go someplace, discover ancient evil, everyone fights, big boss comes out, Guts fights, Guts can't possibly win, Guts wins.

liquidus696
Dec 25, 2007

"DO NOT PRAY! If you pray, your hands will close together, and you won't be able to fight!"

Ipava posted:

Finally we're back to the old formula: go someplace, discover ancient evil, everyone fights, big boss comes out, Guts fights, Guts can't possibly win, Guts wins.

LoL that formula is tried and true, don't fix that which isn't broken!

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Algid posted:

I recall it being an earth axe, and I think they just left it there.

She never explained what it's powers were. She got cut off when she said "And finally for Guts." It was most likely magical of some nature but we were never told of what variety. As he walks away she takes a glimpse of his sword and realizes it's nature.

Captain Controversy
Jan 25, 2007
eXCeSS bought me this account because I am a whiny BITCH!
I had to laugh when Miura went so blatantly for the fanservice with the tentacles.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Oh god Isma is soooo :downs: and happy!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I just thought of something, the whole point of Guts quest right now is to cure Caska's insanity, well what's to say she doesn't go nutso again when she finds out what's been going on, how she pooped out a ghost baby and still has no way to defend herself against the Apostles, and Godhand?

I also realize that Guts asked this very same question, but it is still gonna be a while for it to be answered.

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 1, 2010

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Diabetic posted:

I just thought of something, the whole point of Guts quest right now is to cure Caska's insanity, well what's to say she doesn't go nutso again when she finds out what's been going on, how she pooped out a ghost baby and still has no way to defend herself against the Apostles, and Godhand?

I also realize that Guts asked this very same question, but it is still gonna be a while for it to be answered.

The Skull Knight already came to the conclusion that Caska doesn't want to be sane. Hence why he keeps saying "What you want may not be what she wants." Gutz wants Caska to be normal more than anything in the world. The entire time we've been misled because he wanted to kill Griffith so badly.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

That is so depressing, especially if you consider the Dreamcast game canon. :( I would like Guts to have something worth fighting for, and if he doesn't have Caska..well I think the ending is going to be sooner rather than later when he just goes out in a blaze of glory stabbing Griffy-poo in the face.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Caska said that if she didn't have the Hawks, she would disappear. So Caska has died in a sense. She never knew how to be a regular lady so without the brotherhood of Hawks and a place with Griffith, she has no identity. In my mind, she reverted back to a girl state. She has to rediscover herself. But will that include Guts? And seeing how Guts has treated her, can you blame her actions?

I think Guts realizes that he and she will never be the same. He's the hard rear end realist so he should know better than any other. I think Guts trying to stay not for his gain but her sake. He is sorta paying his penitence for abandoning her in the past. He realizes he rather suffer with her than suffer without. It is very similar to how Caska wanted to stay with Griffith. He is acting the way he probably wished he would have and finally understanding why the Hawks were the way there were. The illusions are gone.

I think Guts has done some bad things, particularly abandoning the Hawks, but the reader is sympathetic towards him. The reader knows him better than any other character. But he really isn't as tragedic as he comes off. He is just learning lessons and life doesn't have to be fair in that regard. If anything, and this why I like Berserk so much, is that Guts is learning emotional strength to couple his physical strength. His battles at this point are very internal and can't be won with a sword. That's some real storytelling.

temple fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2010

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

temple posted:

Caska said that if she didn't have the Hawks, she would disappear. So Caska has died in a sense. She never knew how to be a regular lady so without the brotherhood of Hawks and a place with Griffith, she has no identity. In my mind, she reverted back to a girl state. She has to rediscover herself. But will that include Guts? And seeing how Guts has treated her, can you blame her actions?

You do realize that she was raped by the man she loved while the man she loves was forced to watch.

Oh, and said ex-loveintrest killed all of her friends.

I think that has more to do with it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

temple posted:

It is very similar to how Caska wanted to stay with Griffith.
You mean at the field of swords? I'm pretty sure that that was because she could tell that it was her kid.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'm telling you guys, Caska still loves Griffith, and she'll try to rejoin him if she ever gets cured.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The first thing Caska is going to say if she regains her sanity is "Griffith was way better than you".

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Mr. Deathy posted:

The first thing Caska is going to say if she regains her sanity is "Griffith was way better than you".

"You gently caress like someone dysfunctional. Now that there is a knight in shining armor."
[2-page naked spread of Griffith posing with a sunflare over his junk]

The end.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm telling you guys, Caska still loves Griffith, and she'll try to rejoin him if she ever gets cured.

Nothing like taking a girl who has a crush on you, raping her, and having all of her (adoptive) family eaten by demons before her unbelieving eyes to really hammer home the idea that loving you is better than the alternative.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Yeah that site that hosts Berserk online. I don't trust it anymore. I picked up some LOVELY av.exe virus that decided it wanted to repeatedly to fake scan my computer. That was a bastard to get rid of. Guess it's my own fault really.

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007
Hey systematically marginalized groups, stop acting like victims!

Zexerous posted:

Yeah that site that hosts Berserk online. I don't trust it anymore. I picked up some LOVELY av.exe virus that decided it wanted to repeatedly to fake scan my computer. That was a bastard to get rid of. Guess it's my own fault really.

Are you running with firefox and noscript plugin? (If not then you should.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Alternatively, get American-unreleased scans directly from the fan translators' site and buy / borrow everything else.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

badOrigo posted:

Are you running with firefox and noscript plugin? (If not then you should.)

Firefox yes, noscript plugin, no. I'll check into it. Thanks.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Alternatively, get American-unreleased scans directly from the fan translators' site and buy / borrow everything else.

You are right and I really need to quit being so blazingly lazy and start picking up the releases.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Algid posted:

You mean at the field of swords? I'm pretty sure that that was because she could tell that it was her kid.
No, I mean when Griffith was crippled. Caska decided not to leave with Guts and stay with Griffith and said that Guts couldn't understand. Caska then is Guts now, except Caska is the one who is crippled.

Which, when they first met, Guts was crippled by Griffith. Which lead to Caska laying with him. This whole story is one big loving circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I wonder how it'll explain the situation: "Oh I turned into a dog demon and nearly raped you too."

Awkward.