Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprint
Feb 4, 2006
Looking for something that is kind of along the lines of American roots/bluegrass, but something I think is a bit more specific. What I'm looking for is typified in Vienna Teng's "Grandmother Song" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyoxMBQS9bM&feature=related ) and, to a slightly lesser extent, "I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow" from O Brother Where Art Thou?. It's got a bit of a soulful edge to it. All of my searchings in bluegrass have just turned up with things that sound too akin to country for my liking. Anyone know where I could go with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

coolbian57 posted:

Lately I've really been digging The Flaming Lips, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Shpongle, Yndi Halda, chill bands that are more poignant (well at least for me anyway) that I can listen to with other people and while tripping. This is strange because my true nature is in grindcore and death metal, so this concept of relaxed music is very foreign to me. I especially love the song Do You Realize?? By the lips, this is one of the coolest songs I have ever heard! If anyone has any recommendations for music similar to these bands (any of them, I realize the list I provided is somewhat erratic) it would be much appreciated. The rcommendation thread has never failed me you guys know what the gently caress is up haha!

This isn't terribly related to the Flaming Lips, but based on your interests (especially Yndi Halda) you may want to check out post-rock and shoegaze. Here are some albums you can start with:

Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
Daturah - Daturah
This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain (EP)
Hypatia Lake - ...and We Shall Call Him Joseph
The Vera Violets - The Last Kiss (EP)
Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde (Black metal meets shoegaze)

And speaking as a fan of metal (more black than death now), I'd say it's perfectly natural to want some contrast in music.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 19, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sprint posted:

Looking for something that is kind of along the lines of American roots/bluegrass, but something I think is a bit more specific. What I'm looking for is typified in Vienna Teng's "Grandmother Song" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyoxMBQS9bM&feature=related ) and, to a slightly lesser extent, "I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow" from O Brother Where Art Thou?. It's got a bit of a soulful edge to it. All of my searchings in bluegrass have just turned up with things that sound too akin to country for my liking. Anyone know where I could go with this?

William Elliott Whitmore is an amazing young folk singer with a very dark, soulful edge, kind of like "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" filtered through Tom Waits. He's not bluegrass at all, but definitely falls under the Americana/roots/folk umbrella.

Here's his song "Diggin' My Grave": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj5yGTUHFkQ

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"

coolbian57 posted:

Lately I've really been digging The Flaming Lips, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Shpongle, Yndi Halda, chill bands that are more poignant (well at least for me anyway) that I can listen to with other people and while tripping. This is strange because my true nature is in grindcore and death metal, so this concept of relaxed music is very foreign to me. I especially love the song Do You Realize?? By the lips, this is one of the coolest songs I have ever heard! If anyone has any recommendations for music similar to these bands (any of them, I realize the list I provided is somewhat erratic) it would be much appreciated. The rcommendation thread has never failed me you guys know what the gently caress is up haha!

I made a chilled out playlist the other day to listen and share with a few friends. A lot of it might be a long shot, but I encourage you to check it out. It mostly revolves around shoegaze and last years chillwave/glofi, whatever the hell you want to call it trend. Floaty and nostalgic.

I'd also like it if a few people could take a look at the playlist and recommend me some other music. Hopefully it's kosher for me to just link the playlist, it's a lot easier considering it's 20 tracks. I'm mostly looking for music with floaty/dreamy/nostalgic vibes.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0A0C8CE21D043052

Moonbloodsflow fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 19, 2010

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie
Looking for a funky disco electronic sound? This is a shameless self promotion, but let me know what you think.

http://www.myspace.com/mightmightmight

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
My DAD is looking for a good 80's alternative web radio that he could put on while he goes to sleep (I'm pretty much the same way, but with sleepbot or whatever) but things like last.fm or pandora shut off their stream after a while. He wants it to be on when he wakes up, so it has to be like something you can stick into foobar or whatever and just let it run.

Any ideas?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I guess I'm looking for more modern take on Classical music. Examples of things I love are JerryC's Canon Rock, or Vanessa Mae's Contradanza or Storm. Any others you can think of? I'm not saying just remade classical music, any instrumental music recommendations with a sort of rock or techno styling would be awesome.

Free Broken Glass!
Aug 3, 2009
I need some dark and evil jazz. I just downloaded the Midnight Crew album from MS Paint Adventures and I want something else in that vein.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
Hey goons, I'm looking for something very similar to the first 20 seconds or so of the live version of "What Else is There" from Royksopp's Night Out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kQUKUGRpaI

Something about the way the pulsing, echoing strings and synths just sends chills down my spine.

ghableska fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 23, 2010

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Free Broken Glass! posted:

I need some dark and evil jazz. I just downloaded the Midnight Crew album from MS Paint Adventures and I want something else in that vein.

Wow, thanks for this, buying now.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Free Broken Glass! posted:

I didn't click that link but Bohren and Der Club of Gore and Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation/Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble might be up your alley.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I dunno if theres much of a garage revival blues following here, but does anyone know of any bands to go along with the Soledad Brothers, the Greenhornes, Holly Golightly, and early White Stripes? Because this music is awesome and I want more more more

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Early White Stripes?
Try "The Black Keys",they´re also a duo.Get their latest record.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Mr Mojo Risin posted:

I dunno if theres much of a garage revival blues following here, but does anyone know of any bands to go along with the Soledad Brothers, the Greenhornes, Holly Golightly, and early White Stripes? Because this music is awesome and I want more more more
Bantam Rooster, Mr. Airplane Man, and Pearlene and Billy Childish's later stuff with the Blackhands will probably do nicely though you should also check out crunchier modern blues artists like T-Model Ford and RL Burnside

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
Yeah, a lot of Fat Possum's early blues offerings from their infancy were by guys who, from what I understand (I only started digging into their catalogue very recently), were around and playing since the '60s (if not earlier) but were "undiscovered" and did not get recorded until the '90s. It's especially interesting because a lot of them are from around Fat Possum's headquarters in Oxford, Mississippi. Along with R. L. Burnside and T-Model Ford, it would be worthwhile to check out Asie Payton, Junior Kimbrough, and Charles Caldwell as well as the George Mitchell field recordings which Fat Possum distributes exclusively.

Two-Face
Feb 22, 2010

WE'LL SEND HIM CHEESY MOVIES,
THE WORST I CAN FIND.
(Lalala)
edit: removed offending material.

Two-Face

Two-Face fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 9, 2010

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've been listening to the Philip Glass soundtrack to Schrader's Mishima movie a lot the past week while playing poker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiKKuM9rkeQ

It pretty much rules, but I would like some recommendations along the same lines. The music has to be interesting as poker is boring, but the music also can't be intrusive or something that demands attention (like Glass' opera) because poker also requires attention. Usually I just open the non-vocal chill station on Slacker but am looking for a little less bloop blort and some actual made-with-instruments music if possible.

Already have that Glass album with Days and Nights in Rocina on it.

No Iceland warblesinging please. Not that I don't like it, but it is pretty distracting.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

I've been listening to the Philip Glass soundtrack to Schrader's Mishima movie a lot the past week while playing poker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiKKuM9rkeQ

It pretty much rules, but I would like some recommendations along the same lines. The music has to be interesting as poker is boring, but the music also can't be intrusive or something that demands attention (like Glass' opera) because poker also requires attention. Usually I just open the non-vocal chill station on Slacker but am looking for a little less bloop blort and some actual made-with-instruments music if possible.

Already have that Glass album with Days and Nights in Rocina on it.

No Iceland warblesinging please. Not that I don't like it, but it is pretty distracting.

If you like Philip Glass and want something a little more substantial, I suggest the soundtrack he composed for The Hours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8-2XQbKfr8

Hadman
Jan 21, 2009
I'd like to get in to some stuff that I know literally nothing about but seem to have heard a lot before. What I'm looking for is some chilled out jazz/lounge stuff, but sung in French.

If you've seen An Education, there's a scene where the girl is listening to music when she should be studying. That's the kind of stuff I want.

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Kirby began to wonder if he shouldn't have just eaten the Nemesis, instead.
Kind of an odd request, but here goes - I'd like to find suggestions similar to the opening of this song (Young Atlantis by A.C. Newman, if you're already familiar):

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Young+Atlantis/2uxnvS

That is to say, I'd like something with that kind of - what is it, Celtic? - feel, especially something with a leading strings part. I think it'd be really great studying music.

Thanks!

Free Broken Glass!
Aug 3, 2009

slowdave posted:

I didn't click that link but Bohren and Der Club of Gore and Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation/Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble might be up your alley.

Nice, that's exactly the sort of jazz I was looking for. You might want to give the link a listen, you can hear every song for free and they all kick rear end.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Looking for string-heavy indie rock stuff, kind of like Beirut or Pale Young Gentlemen but maybe a little bit more klezmery, if that's not too vague?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Someone recommend me a good, interesting electronica album. To give you an idea of my tastes, I love really technical stuff like Squarepusher and Jaga Jazzist, and Aphex Twin's drukqs is one of my favorite albums of all time. I also love a lot of '70s electronic music, including Kraftwerk, Yellow Magic Orchestra, and Isao Tomita, though my absolute favorite has to be Tangerine Dream right around Ricochet.

I'm not too much in the mood for something extremely percussive and dissonant, like Autechre, or something purely ambient. Something melodic, with good ambience, that isn't too simplistic or formulaic would be great right now.

Tree Goat posted:

Looking for string-heavy indie rock stuff, kind of like Beirut or Pale Young Gentlemen but maybe a little bit more klezmery, if that's not too vague?

This is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but when I hear "indie rock" and "klezmer" mentioned in the same breath, I can only think of Charming Hostess.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 25, 2010

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

I'm not too much in the mood for something extremely percussive and dissonant, like Autechre, or something purely ambient. Something melodic, with good ambience, that isn't too simplistic or formulaic would be great right now.

Check out the Autechre albums that aren't Confield or Quaristice.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

slowdave posted:

Check out the Autechre albums that aren't Confield or Quaristice.

I have. I've got Tri Repetae, Chiastic Slide, Draft 7.30, and Untilted, and several EPs, in addition to Confield. Unless there's a drastically different album by them that I haven't heard yet, I'm more in the mood for someone else. Confield was awesome, though, and I've made a mental note to check out Quaristice when I'm wanting something more in that vein again.

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009

Hadman posted:

I'd like to get in to some stuff that I know literally nothing about but seem to have heard a lot before. What I'm looking for is some chilled out jazz/lounge stuff, but sung in French.
Like Carla Bruni?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf9SNrJu8Zo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flmoa2dVOSU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ZdFTYTdAY&feature=related

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I have. I've got Tri Repetae, Chiastic Slide, Draft 7.30, and Untilted, and several EPs, in addition to Confield. Unless there's a drastically different album by them that I haven't heard yet, I'm more in the mood for someone else. Confield was awesome, though, and I've made a mental note to check out Quaristice when I'm wanting something more in that vein again.

he (probably) meant Incunabula and Amber, which satisfy your original description and are unlike all their others

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
Looking for something similar to this:

Squad Five-O - Late News Breaking

It's glammy "rock and roll" that's really major with a lot of punk influence. Their two albums before this are really good too, but this one's a classic.

Looking around I couldn't find much. Last.fm wasn't helpful at ALL, Pandora sucked too but recommended the Black Halos who are pretty cool. The closest thing in my collection is probably the Heart Attacks or the River City Rebels.

Anyone have any ideas? I might cross-post to the punk megathread if that's appropriate.

Krakened
Dec 8, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I heard this song the other day in a podcast, and I really couldn't pass it up.

Ladies and gents, I present to you Skeletor and Beastman. It's been cracking me up all week. One of the members is Bam Margera, so it explains what kind of people came up with this stuff.

Just a quick note- it's very innapprorpiate for younger listeners, and is in pretty bad taste. The sound isn't all that crash hot, either. Only listen to it if you like absolutely rude stuff.

Toydogs for Toygod
Sep 20, 2009
?

Toydogs for Toygod fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 11, 2018

Toydogs for Toygod
Sep 20, 2009
?

Toydogs for Toygod fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 11, 2018

SMP
May 5, 2009

I don't know if theres a real genre name for this, but I'm looking for a particular style of hip hop. I'm looking for hip hop with a middle eastern/asian sound to it. I only know of a few examples of what I'm talking about

1. DJ Spooky - ?. This is the best example of what I'm looking for.
2. Perhaps the theme from GTA: Chinatown Wars.
3. The Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack was alright.

I really don't care for M.I.A. though.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

SMP posted:

I don't know if theres a real genre name for this, but I'm looking for a particular style of hip hop. I'm looking for hip hop with a middle eastern/asian sound to it. I only know of a few examples of what I'm talking about

1. DJ Spooky - ?. This is the best example of what I'm looking for.
2. Perhaps the theme from GTA: Chinatown Wars.
3. The Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack was alright.

I really don't care for M.I.A. though.

Two Stones Throw releases that are heavily based on Indian samples:
Oh No - Dr. No's Oxperiment
Madlib - Beat Konducta, Vol. 3-4: Beat Konducta in India

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

baberaham lincoln posted:

Oh No - Dr. No's Oxperiment

Oxperiment was pretty much all Turkish & Lebanese...

Both of Automator's (w/ Shadow) bombay albums are all good cutup Indian OST stuff. The Sitar Beat series of mixes are good if you're looking for Indian funk/mod.
Bombay The Hard Way: Guns, Cars And Sitars
Bombay the Hard Way, Vol. 2: Electric Vindaloo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOKGcXfhOCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awbk2QbW_DQ

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

JehovahsWetness posted:

Oxperiment was pretty much all Turkish & Lebanese...

Now guess which part of the U.S I was born in. Hint: we say 'y'all' there...

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

baberaham lincoln posted:

Now guess which part of the U.S I was born in. Hint: we say 'y'all' there...

Nah, that wasn't a dig at you. I just meant that if anyone wanted to get into the source music for this stuff that Oxpirement's Turkish stuff is big distinct different thing than Indian stuff. (and I'm from deep appalachia, holla holler. :respek:)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a real genre of music that takes the whole autotuned quotes/clips mixed with music thing but makes it more... well, professional? Symphony of Science is the closest i've seen, since the songs are actually really great.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
Building off the previous requests for African music, I'm interested in the opposite of what that poster wanted – something fused well with Western music.

The best example of what I'm interested in will probably make me seem like an uncultured swine, but Baba Yetu from the Civilisation IV soundtrack is pretty spot on. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlwVsUHahPw for those who have not heard it)

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Because I'm an idiot, cross posting this here because it is probably where it belongs:

I am trying to figure out what genre I am thinking of. Basically I am looking for ambient with some kind of drums in them. Like if Briano Eno had some kind of kick to it. Dayvan Cowboy is a decent example (Boards of Canada) but not ambient enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel K. Doe
Jan 25, 2010

by Ozma
Looking for more sad Sephardic/Hebrew/Arab music like this ("Yerushalayim Shel Zahav") http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRWI9CJO5o4