Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

How comes the WWE News and Other Top Stories, The Insider Thread is never updated anymore?

We have no one willing to do it, the only people that do update it post boring financials, and ever since the WWE mole was fired a couple of years ago, there's hardly ever anything to discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

We have no one willing to do it, the only people that do update it post boring financials, and ever since the WWE mole was fired a couple of years ago, there's hardly ever anything to discuss.
WH2K had a mole, or The Observer did?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Also the thread got archived a while back so someone would have to start a new one. I feel like posting INSIDER NEWS in the appropriate general discussion threads kinda makes more sense anyway because why have two separate threads for news and the discussion of that news?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Cause it's much easier to read the news when it's by itself rather than having to sort through all the "cena has overcome the odds" comments.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

I hate the "beat the champion to get a title shot" booking that happens a lot. I feel like that's a relatively recent phenomenon (like, late-'90s). Did they actually do that a lot in the olden days and I just don't remember it?

I'm pretty sure it's something that came up in the days since Nitro.

Challengers and champions would rarely meet back in the day, to the best of my knowledge, but since top matches were being given away every week, something needs to be figured out to make things make sense.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

WH2K had a mole, or The Observer did?

There was a WWE writer who was constantly leaking stuff to Meltzer and whoever else, either plans for storylines, or info on who was in trouble backstage, etc. There would be a new pile of juicy tidbits to look through every other week.

Stephanie finally found him (after months, if not years of searching) by feeding him false information that only he had and then waiting for it to show up on the dirtsheets. That's the way I heard it, anyway.

quote:

Cause it's much easier to read the news when it's by itself rather than having to sort through all the "cena has overcome the odds" comments.

Comments outside of the news were banned in the thread. You just got news. This didn't stop someone from posting their witty reaction once every ten posts or so, despite there being a NEWS ONLY OR YOU WILL GET PROBATED line in the thread title.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 23, 2010

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Comments outside of the news were banned in the thread. You just got news. This didn't stop someone from posting their witty reaction once every ten posts or so, despite there being a NEWS ONLY OR YOU WILL GET PROBATED line in the thread title.
I'm not sure what your point is when the separate news only thread was still shitloads easier to read through (especially when you were behind on things) than the clusterfuck discussion threads are.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

I'm not sure what your point is when the separate news only thread was still shitloads easier to read through (especially when you were behind on things) than the clusterfuck discussion threads are.

Since the mole is gone from WWE, there really isn't a lot of real news coming out anyway.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

I liked the news thread, really. When it wasn't WWE financials that affect nothing we're interested in, or "Hulk Hogan went on Bubba the Love Sponge and talked complete bullshit for two hours."

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Since the mole is gone from WWE, there really isn't a lot of real news coming out anyway.

jillian is still there

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

jillian is still there

But her mole has been gone for even longer.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

But her mole has been gone for even longer.

i knew someone would waltz in to correct me and i knew it would be you so i am glad.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

I was reading a fluff piece about the biggest upsets in sports, and it got me thinking. What is the biggest upset in modern day wrestling (since Hogan won the WWF Title from the Iron Sheik)?
Didn't Shelton Benjamin get a win over HHH during Evolution?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

cletus42o posted:

Didn't Shelton Benjamin get a win over HHH during Evolution?
There are no upsets, only swerves.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Seeing Big Show stripping MVP was pretty upsetting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Minidust posted:

I hate the "beat the champion to get a title shot" booking that happens a lot. I feel like that's a relatively recent phenomenon (like, late-'90s). Did they actually do that a lot in the olden days and I just don't remember it?

No, it's a wrestling tradition, you just never saw it in WWE, since they always had a face champion. In territories like Mid-Atlantic/NWA, since they had dominant heel champions, one way to build up a challenger was to have the wrestler beat the champ in either a non-title match, or pin him in a tag team match. It would help build interest in the match, and make the number one contender look like a main eventer since he could beat the champ clean. The result was usually the same, though; it would either go to a time-limit draw, the heel would be DQ'd, or you'd have a Dusty finish.

In the WWF, since you had a face champ, they would usually earn their title shots by attacking the champ, and then the champ, wanting to right that injustice, would grant him a title shot to guarantee a match with him. And the result would have the face champ overcoming the odds (since he was at a disadvantage, be it "injury" or being outnumbered due to managers).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sionistic posted:

It was an upset that they went on to do absolutely nothing with, yet nash will bring up all the time. Something he learned from Hogan and Kidman.
He learned it over a year in the past? :psyduck:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bubba mention Nash/Rey in response to something when TNA was doing some promo thing on his show?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I vaguely remember Christopher Daniels appearing in one of the first giant clusterfuck matches they had when they brought in the Light Heavyweight title. Is there any reason he's never been tapped for OVW? Or AJ Styles, for that matter? He seems pretty decent and reliable, and I don't imagine the TNA paycheck is keeping them there.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

George Kaplan posted:

I vaguely remember Christopher Daniels appearing in one of the first giant clusterfuck matches they had when they brought in the Light Heavyweight title. Is there any reason he's never been tapped for OVW? Or AJ Styles, for that matter? He seems pretty decent and reliable, and I don't imagine the TNA paycheck is keeping them there.

I know AJ always said he was afraid of going to the WWE and being used horribly. I guess he does not want to be the next Nick Dismore.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

George Kaplan posted:

WWE probably won't ever hire Daniels since he's 38 now, but I don't know why they didn't bring him in years ago when they still had a belt for small guys.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I know AJ always said he was afraid of going to the WWE and being used horribly. I guess he does not want to be the next Nick Dismore.

In other news, AJ is staying in America because UK gun crime has been on the rise.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

He learned it over a year in the past? :psyduck:

I think he was trying to say that Nash learned from Hogan that you can keep bringing up a match like that to prove what a good guy you are.

George Kaplan posted:

I can't answer your question, but here's the fun match where Taka Michinoku defended the Light Heavyweight title against Daniels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O3tAocuB1I

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Someone once linked a video featuring a crazy Japanese battle royale that featured the two last guys wrestling in slow motion and having weird flashbacks. Can someone please re-link it?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Has anyone viewed the Guest Booker series and can give me a review on them? Any or all really.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Someone once linked a video featuring a crazy Japanese battle royale that featured the two last guys wrestling in slow motion and having weird flashbacks. Can someone please re-link it?

This it?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Why is it that whenever someone talks about how "Kimona Wanalaya DANCED ON TOP OF THE ECW ARENA" there is such emphasis on the sentence. It's there pretty much whenever I've heard it in speech (on podcasts or whatnot) or seen it in writing. Is someone being parodied or what?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Beeswax posted:

Why is it that whenever someone talks about how "Kimona Wanalaya DANCED ON TOP OF THE ECW ARENA" there is such emphasis on the sentence. It's there pretty much whenever I've heard it in speech (on podcasts or whatnot) or seen it in writing. Is someone being parodied or what?

Joey Styles announced everything for ECW so I assume he did the commercial spots too, so yes they are mimicking Joey "OH MY GOOOOOOD" Styles.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Beeswax posted:

They would show that clip relentlessly when they advertised ECW videos during the old syndicated show.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

They would show that clip relentlessly when they advertised ECW videos during the old syndicated show.

I remember when I finally saw the infamous dance, it was one of the biggest disappointments of my adolescent life.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Eight-Six posted:

This it?

Brilliant! Thanks!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What is, in your opinion, the best, most crystalline example of WWE's 'Face in peril' type tag match style? Are there other accepted tag match styles/formulas out there?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

What is, in your opinion, the best, most crystalline example of WWE's 'Face in peril' type tag match style? Are there other accepted tag match styles/formulas out there?

That's actually the Rock N Roll Express formula that WWE co-opted. This will be hard to answer because the face in peril style can go in a lot of different ways after the hot tag.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

WWE can't really take credit for it. All the best examples are Rock 'n' Roll Express matches in NWA/WCW where Ricky Morton did for "face in peril" what Mick Foley did for falling off poo poo in stupid ways.

The Allied Powers DVD apparently has Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. Ivan Koloff and Krusher Khrushchev; if it's the match I'm thinking of, it's an excellent example.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Does anyone know how the royalty deals work on WWE DVDs? FOr instance, does Bret Hart get like 25% of the sale for every one of his DVDs sold? Do superstars get a slice if their image is on a DVD, like does Austin get a small amount of money for every Hart DVD sold because hes in a match on it? And if so, does his cut depend on volume sold? And on a PPV DVD, do guys in earlier matches get less than the main-event guys?

Also, do people like Warrior or Savage get a cut of the DVD sold even though they refuse to work on it? Or does all royalties fall under WWE owning trademarks and the footage shot and thus owe nothing to past performers?

Thanks for any help and additional info because this has really got me wondering the last day or so.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm pretty sure they get some kind of royalties for appearances in stuff. This was a big deal for Jesse Ventura back in the day, he sued Vince and won etc..

If its anything like royalties in other entertainment mediums it would be individually worked out per performer and release and vary from product to product, performer to performer.

I'm also pretty sure its way, way, way, way, way less than 25%

Way.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

projecthalaxy posted:

Adrian Adonis and Dick Murdoch vs. Tatsumi Fujinami and Antonio Inoki from the 1984 MSG Tag League Round Robin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

projecthalaxy posted:

I don't know how many people remember this (or if I'm remembering it right) but there was a match involving I think Rock and Foley (possibly Al Snow and Foley?) where Foley was bitterly miserable with his tag partner because he thought he'd betrayed him and couldn't bring himself to get into the match. So he actually went and sat on the ring-steps with his back to the ring as his partner got the poo poo kicked out of him, every so often fighting the opponents of enough or making a break to try to get a tag from Foley who wouldn't pay attention to him. The crowd was going loving FRANTIC trying to convince Foley to turn around and make the hot tag, and at one point Foley DOES suddenly stand up and turn to stare at his partner who is locked in a submission hold stretching his arm out desperately for him. The place went BANANA because they thought Foley would make the tag, but in the end he chose not to.

Not a textbook example of the standard face in peril tag, but the one I remember as having the crowd most desperate to see the tag made.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know if Foley got up, but that's definitely Rock & Sock vs. the Hollys from a Smackdown in the fall of 99.

I can remember this but not anything for my History of Modern Europe midterm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Charisma posted:

I don't know if Foley got up, but that's definitely Rock & Sock vs. the Hollys from a Smackdown in the fall of 99.

That sounds about right, I distinctly remember Foley suddenly standing up and the whole place just lighting up with excitement.

Captain Charisma posted:

I can remember this but not anything for my History of Modern Europe midterm.

There were a couple of wars and then they all got married. England is the Mother-in-Law. There you go.