Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Need your help guys! My '03 Wrangler needs a hard top. I've been driving it with the top down for about 5 years now and I'm going to have to make the jump to a hard top to appease my special lady (I secretly want one as well).

Looking around online I haven't found poo poo, or I've found a lot of sites that look like poo poo depending on how you look at it. Any recommendations for a reliable site or method to get a serviceable hard top at a good price? I'm definitely wanting a used one if possible for the savings but would love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I'm going to look at an '02 Grand Cherokee Overland tonight, and have a question. Is there a way to tell if it does in fact have the Upcountry Suspension, or if it had the Quadra-Coil suspension "added". I know that it was sometimes added as a free option, thinking all the free options are better options.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Bought car or pick-up from shady pawn shop, cash. Life goal number 691 complete.

Pretty much your standard 1989 Cherokee Lardasso, with vacuum front axle hubs I guess, power everything, I-6, 5 speed, with mis-matched tires. Awesome chrome plated plastic everything inside, and sunroof. Oh yeah, has tow hitch and noisy fuel pump.

Didn't really care, I know poo poo will have to be fixed, and it was thousands less than some of the other things I've seen lately. Going to need to get some tires for it, any idea of what's a good set of new shoes? Not really looking to take it off roading, yet, but I do live in the snow zone and when I visit people, most of them live down dirt roads.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
BFG All-terrains work well for that sort of driving.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Veeb0rg posted:

You can't go wrong with using these under the conditions mentioned.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Veeb0rg posted:

Just put a set of these on my WJ and I love them!

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Treadwright.com

I have a set of the Goodyear MTR copies and they are awesome and cheap. Also I have not been flipped end over end in a fiery death ball of exploding retread tires.

I will recommend them to EVERYONE.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Veeb0rg posted:

Yes, the BFG AT-KO or the newer BFG MT/AT KM2 [more agressive tread, same ride quality]. Nice all around tire, not the best in deep mud but I never had issues with them in water, snow, sand, and rocks.

BFG's [especially larger sizes] blow the doors off of Goodyear for balancing and being .. you know.. round from the factory :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They also seem to last a ridiculously long time from what some people report.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
I'm thinking of selling or trading in my 2001 VW GTI (the VR6 model) for a Wrangler maybe towards the end of the summer. Is there any year to be avoided or anything I should look out for? I know I want a manual trans and the 6-cyl.

Reason is that i'm doing more outdoors kind of things and the rifle range I go to is off a mile long dirt road and it can be troublesome for my VW. I love the VW and I'd like to keep it so unless I find a decent jeep for 2 grand or something, I'm going to have to trade her in or sell her.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/jeep/1002_4wd_2006_jeep_wrangler_tj_diesel/index.html

2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited - '06 TJ Unlimited Diesel

GODDAMN WHY WON'T THEY DO THIS?!

I Drink Stove Oil
Apr 4, 2009

SWOLE PATROL
Quick question on my 1999 XJ:

What the hell is the seal around the windows called or it's parts number? Weather strip? Window strip? Weather molding? Window seal? I lost the black rubber on the exterior part of my driver side door so there's a gap there now between the glass and door. I can't figure out the name having looked on various parts websites and I'm 250 miles from the nearest Jeep dealership so going to ask them isn't an option. I gotta take care of this before it snows or rains next. Any help is appreciated.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

I Drink Stove Oil posted:

Quick question on my 1999 XJ:

What the hell is the seal around the windows called or it's parts number? Weather strip? Window strip? Weather molding? Window seal? I lost the black rubber on the exterior part of my driver side door so there's a gap there now between the glass and door. I can't figure out the name having looked on various parts websites and I'm 250 miles from the nearest Jeep dealership so going to ask them isn't an option. I gotta take care of this before it snows or rains next. Any help is appreciated.

I don't own a jeep so bear with me. Is the '99 model considered a "TJ" rather than an "XJ"?

Here's an exploded diagram which may help you out.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-doors/replacement-door-parts/wrangler-tj.htm

Maybe it's this part? Outer glass door weather strip (driver's side) http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=55176565AC

I Drink Stove Oil
Apr 4, 2009

SWOLE PATROL

wav3form posted:

I don't own a jeep so bear with me. Is the '99 model considered a "TJ" rather than an "XJ"?

Here's an exploded diagram which may help you out.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-doors/replacement-door-parts/wrangler-tj.htm

Maybe it's this part? Outer glass door weather strip (driver's side) http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=55176565AC

Thank you! It's an XJ (Cherokee), so I just went through the Jeep4x4center site you linked and made my way here: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-door-parts/cherokee-xj-weatherstrips.htm It's part #1 for passenger side. I seriously spent four hours looking and could not find what you put up in like 10 minutes. Part has been ordered!

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

I Drink Stove Oil posted:

Thank you! It's an XJ (Cherokee), so I just went through the Jeep4x4center site you linked and made my way here: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-door-parts/cherokee-xj-weatherstrips.htm It's part #1 for passenger side. I seriously spent four hours looking and could not find what you put up in like 10 minutes. Part has been ordered!

Cool, glad I could help. :D

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
That site is awesome. I need approximately 300 little moulding and body parts for my aging '95 YJ. I thought finding them all was going to be a nightmare.

I'm still having a little trouble finding the plastic piece that sits between the soft upper door and the windshield. Mine is cracked so the window pushes it out of place before violently snapping back into place with a deafening pop, scaring the poo poo out of my passenger.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
This?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11033_99.htm

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 24, 2010

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
Do any of you guys use these things?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-cherokee/jet/performance-chip.htm

What's the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2? School me Jeep goons.

TraumaMonkey
Dec 7, 2009

fordham posted:

Looks like :20bux:. These things don't give you any power unless you're revving the poo poo out of your engine, and then its something like 10hp for the 4.0. Not worth the cost of the chip and then having to run premium gas.

Edit: I should mention that the previous owner of my TJ had a stage 2 chip in with the 180 degree thermostat; when I removed the chip and put in a 195 degree thermostat (stock temperature), there was no noticeable difference in fuel consumption or power and the engine actually has a normal idle now. The chip had it idling at just under 1000 rpm, now it drops to ~700.

TraumaMonkey fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 24, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Does anyone know a good way of hooking up an iPod to a default Wrangler radio? I know it has the AUX jack but I was wondering if there was some way of setting it up so I could control it from the system itself. I tried one of the lighter plug things and it broke in like two weeks.

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

fordham posted:

The "jeep guy I trust" told me that these are a Bad Idea when going offroading, as you want your idling speed to be as low as possible, and you don't want a throttle that leaps when you nudge it, unless you like buying new driveshafts & axles.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

FAROESE WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I tried one of the lighter plug things and it broke in like two weeks.

You're lucky, I've never actually gotten one to work for longer than about an hour.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Does anyone know a good way of hooking up an iPod to a default Wrangler radio?

What year Wrangler? There are Mopar iPod kits available for some of the TJ and most of the JK Wranglers.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

What year Wrangler? There are Mopar iPod kits available for some of the TJ and most of the JK Wranglers.

Three weeks old. :v:

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Might wanna spend some more time looking at your new JK then. In the center console, or on the radio itself will be an aux input to plug your ipod into. No fancy poo poo required, except maybe an ipod charger.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

sw0cb posted:

Might wanna spend some more time looking at your new JK then. In the center console, or on the radio itself will be an aux input to plug your ipod into. No fancy poo poo required, except maybe an ipod charger.

Might want to read his original post..

As far as I know there isn't an adapter to do it. You would probably have to go to an after market head unit if you wanted Ipod control.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Unzip and Attack posted:

Need your help guys! My '03 Wrangler needs a hard top. I've been driving it with the top down for about 5 years now and I'm going to have to make the jump to a hard top to appease my special lady (I secretly want one as well).

Looking around online I haven't found poo poo, or I've found a lot of sites that look like poo poo depending on how you look at it. Any recommendations for a reliable site or method to get a serviceable hard top at a good price? I'm definitely wanting a used one if possible for the savings but would love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

Now is a great time to cruise craigslist for a hardtop. Got mine last spring for $500, had been stored since new and looked like it. Unfortunately this seems to be the exception and most people want closer to a grand, but some do pop up for less. Don't worry about the color, the top is easy to paint with rattlecans. Soft or hard doors will work.

If the top has broken glass, forget it. It's not cheap unless you have a glass hookup.

Also, check to see if your jeep is already wired for a top. If you have a plug coming out of the carpet at the left rear door hatch area, or if you already have the hard top switches in the console, you're set. Otherwise the OEM kit is around $200 and you'll either need an adapter to fit incompatible top years (they switched the connector several times) or you'll have to splice it yourself into the top. You must buy the kit for your vehicle year - any adaptations are made at the top end.

Jeepsareus.com has the kits

I just wired mine up with a cheap rocker switch to control the wiper and a switch for the hardtop dome light so I can turn it on from the cargo area. I don't give a poo poo about the defrost or fluid squirter - they aren't easily done. Let me know if you want a rundown on the wiring when you get a top.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 26, 2010

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

You need, at a minimum, something from this page.

Which radio you have influences how painful it gets from there. At the bottom-right of the radio is a three-letter radio code.

If you have a base RES radio without UConnect buttons (this should not be you), you'd need a whole new radio.

If you have a base RES radio with UConnect buttons, or the REQ 6-disc, you need the $37 integration harness. If you have the buttons but not factory UConnect, you'll also need a Mopar UConnect upgrade kit. List price is $257, but you can find it much cheaper. If you somehow have factory UConnect but no iPod cable, it's actually a different harness you'd need for around the same price of $37.

If you have the RER MyGig, you should need the $87 harness and nothing else.

This was way easier before Chrysler started having several variants of every radio, so if you've got any questions, have a parts guy check the accessories catalog against your VIN to be sure.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 26, 2010

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also don't forget that the ipod harness is sold out, semi-illegal and catches on fire very often.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

sw0cb posted:

That'd be awesome if it was possible to use with an iPod Touch. I mean, you literally can use it, but could luck skipping songs without hitting anything.

Molten Llama posted:

If you have a base RES radio with UConnect buttons, or the REQ 6-disc, you need the $37 integration harness. If you have the buttons but not factory UConnect, you'll also need a Mopar UConnect upgrade kit. List price is $257, but you can find it much cheaper. If you somehow have factory UConnect but no iPod cable, it's actually a different harness you'd need for around the same price of $37.

I have the UConnect buttons but I believe I don't have factory UConnect.

jonathan posted:

Also don't forget that the ipod harness is sold out, semi-illegal and catches on fire very often.

Yeah some more details in posts like this would be great.

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

I have the UConnect buttons but I believe I don't have factory UConnect.

You most definitely don't have the UConnect. RES/REQ radios do have the buttons, and can (apparently) be upgraded, but I'll know more when I complete my saga of woe at the dealer. If I'm not mistaken, your radio code is silkscreened onto the faceplate, lower-right corner. I've seen this on RES/REQ radios firsthand, I'd assume the others are done the same.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

You need, at a minimum, something from this page.

Where can you find it cheaper than $257? That alone seems pretty cheap from what Ive checked at dealerships.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
used glass, lots of sealer later:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
What did it start as, a crater?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

used glass, lots of sealer later:

Is that the one that got rolled a page back? Hell, spray it matte black and turn it into a ZOMBIE RESPONSE VEHICLE.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Speaking of wrecked XJs, I was thinking it would be fun to build a trailer for my CJ, starting with an XJ. It would be similar to the pic below only cut off between the front and rear seats. I think open would be better, cutting it just below the window line. The hatch would be transformed to a proper tail gate. A little too crazy?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

giundy posted:

Speaking of wrecked XJs, I was thinking it would be fun to build a trailer for my CJ, starting with an XJ. It would be similar to the pic below only cut off between the front and rear seats. I think open would be better, cutting it just below the window line. The hatch would be transformed to a proper tail gate. A little too crazy?

there was a build a while back where a guy turned an XJ into a camper trailer. The problem with using an XJ like that is tongue weight as the axle is a bit far back.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
If he just used it for camping trips or whatever, where the only stuff in the trailer was tents, sleeping bags, clothes, that sort of thing, where none of it is particularly heavy, he could get away with loading it fully and only having a few hundred pounds tongue-weight, which should be plenty light enough. Alternately he could ballast the back-end of the trailer with the heaviest part of the load to lighten it a bit.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Installed 3.5" lift, chopped the fenders, put on 35" tires and 15" wheels.

Now I just need my winch, onboard air and superchips programmer

The tires (Procomp xtreme mt) were used and cheap. Once these wear out I think I will regear and run a 37, as these 35's look barely larger than a 33.

Day 1:

Day 30:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

jonathan posted:

Installed 3.5" lift, chopped the fenders, put on 35" tires and 15" wheels.

Now I just need my winch, onboard air and superchips programmer

The tires (Procomp xtreme mt) were used and cheap. Once these wear out I think I will regear and run a 37, as these 35's look barely larger than a 33.

Day 1:

Day 30:

Would you need to do any drivetrain/steering upgrades to handle a 37?