Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Urban Renewal posted:

At that price range you'll be able to get plenty of decent full-size wood boards with yunzi stones, like what Blendy linked. The game is much more enjoyable with full size stones, so enjoy.

I prefer the sound of double convex stones greatly over single convex stones greatly. I also find that the material and coating the goban has, affects if the stones move easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest

DeusIgnis posted:

I prefer the sound of double convex stones greatly over single convex stones greatly. I also find that the material and coating the goban has, affects if the stones move easily.

This is funny as hell to read out loud.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

you could tear up a bunch of hard drives to get stones that will never slide off the board again, but they won't be double-convex :(

domn
Nov 22, 2003

the multitude, in its will to be-against and its desire for liberation, must push through Empire to come out the other side
whats up ive been promoting go in lf :)

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
It's too bad they actually started talking about chess in that chess thread :/

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
i was commanded to bump this thread in the interests of promoting go. go, the only winning move is not to play. join us and perish

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

I started playing on KGS a few days ago. I think I've seen a few of you online in the SA room.

My experience so far has been painful as hell but losing over and over isn't really as frustrating as I had feared. I feel like I'm at least starting to recognize why I'm losing rather than just being frustrated over and over again.

The Strangest Finch fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 10, 2010

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

The Strangest Finch posted:

I started playing on KGS a few days ago. I think I've seen a few of you online in the SA room.

My experience so far has been painful as hell but losing over and over isn't really as frustrating as I had feared. I feel like I'm at least starting to recognize why I'm losing rather than just being frustrated over and over again.

you need some skin in the game before you can truly feel the go rage

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

Under 15 posted:

you need some skin in the game before you can truly feel the go rage

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

comaerror posted:

GCT. This is me. I look like that.

@The Strangest Finch, get access to the ITGO room through the SA room. Right now I'm the only other nubass so lets play some games :)

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Just one the Ishida Joseki 3 set off ebay. 30 bucks woot, though their supposed to be kinda beat up. Not that it really matters, these aren't really showin-off-books.

Point is is that I got an extra copy of volume 1 that I'm considering selling if anyone is interested.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I stopped by the Seattle Go Center yesterday and played a quick game. That place is really f'in nice, and teh guy running it was more than happy to teach my brother how to play while at the same time showing me all my terrible moves.

MagneticWombats
Aug 19, 2004
JUMP!
Are there any good Go ebooks because I literally hate Go books and flipping around pages. I imagine with ebooks I could look at four pages or four sets of diagrams at once.

dao Jones
Jul 17, 2009
Great to see there's a place for Go on SA! I was on the chess team in high school, but someone taught me to play Go in college and I've preferred it ever since, although I've never played all that much. But I have played long enough to have some little knowledge of the Go Rage.

I took two of the tests a page or two back: I got 124 out of 200 to be at European 5-kyu, but I don't think I am actually this strong at all. Supporting evidence: my playing style from the other test is "passive" which I think is accurate.

I've only recently started playing on KGS but it seems awesome and I will definitely hang out in the SA room (I'm 'stoltz'). I don't know if anyone has any desire to play correspondence style but I play at Dragon Go Server and I like it (also as 'stoltz').

I would stick to KGS unless you have some experience though: correspondence-style is too slow-paced to learn the basics effectively.

Due to a lot of my play being correspondence, my reading is a bit sluggish and I don't shine OTB (is it called that even if it's Over The Digital Board?). I've played some in Portland irl and been rather poor.

That said, I would love a game from anyone and would certainly be willing to try my hand at a teaching game for any beginners. Keep at it, and see you out there!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Ok, so I used to play go on kiseido a lot a few years ago and was 14k or so.

My account is gone now so I registered again and it's pretty much impossible to get into a game unless you have a rank... and you need to play games to get ranked.

This sucks balls.

edit: vvvvv thanks for the tip!

Buffis fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 18, 2010

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Buffis posted:

Ok, so I used to play go on kiseido a lot a few years ago and was 14k or so.

My account is gone now so I registered again and it's pretty much impossible to get into a game unless you have a rank... and you need to play games to get ranked.

This sucks balls.

Try the automatch under the "Play GO" menu up top. It seems to work pretty well. Just set the preferences based on your estimated rating and you might end up with some handicap games, but you'll be able to get a rating this way at least.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
I haven't played in a long while, but I seem to be pretty decent at drunken Go. I had a very close match going with an 18k until I royally screwed up in the endgame. :toot:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

just got the kgs android app, pretty awesome to play online go anywhere. I need to start atudying though. For the last few years, I've played and mildly studied go for a week or two, then stopped for a few months. Maybe being able to play anywhere will prevent long streaks of not playing. (I am around 12k atm)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There wasn't a KGS Android app last I went looking, what's it called? Does it work on 1.5?

Edit: is this it? Oh god 15 dollars I'm a poor Filipino that's slightly expensive for me :(

Edit 2: It seems I'm not even allowed to buy apps if I live in this country, fffff

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 24, 2010

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

The price includes KGS+ for some amount of time, I forget. If you already have KGS plus it's cheaper.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Yeah, it's $15, I'd get it even without KGS really (not even sure what's in it other than the lectures). IMO it's definitely worth it.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Anyone know if toxygen is down for good or just moved?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I think it's gone forever. I've never had any trouble finding poo poo on scribd though

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I have been playing this stupid game all weekend and I love it

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 6, 2010

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Somebody tell me where I can play this online immediately!

MagneticWombats
Aug 19, 2004
JUMP!
Is it white vs black vs colors? It seems like there's more black than white but why use the colors then if you more white stones oh god im confused

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

four player go is pretty lame, it kind of ruins things

one color go, now that's where it's at

EDIT: man that board is narrow as gently caress

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

MagneticWombats posted:

Is it white vs black vs colors? It seems like there's more black than white but why use the colors then if you more white stones oh god im confused

Yeah, I actually stopped to think about it and it sucks. Three colours could be interesting but 6? argh

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Yeah, I actually stopped to think about it and it sucks. Three colours could be interesting but 6? argh

There's one bowl with all the colors; it looks like it's white vs. black vs. "colors", so that it is indeed a three-player game.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

helopticor posted:

There's one bowl with all the colors; it looks like it's white vs. black vs. "colors", so that it is indeed a three-player game.

Yeah, that would also explain why all the colours have much fewer stones on the board than white and black

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I stopped playing about a year ago and it looks like my account got erased. I'm bummed. :(

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I'm trying to figure out how ranking works and according to the site it's based on wins/losses but also takes into consideration the level of people you beat, and gets more accurate over time.

So if your account was deleted due to inactivity, it doesn't matter, your rank on a new account should settle to your playing level after 5-10 games...

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Yeah, that would also explain why all the colours have much fewer stones on the board than white and black

I'm confused, the colored and black groups have roughly the same number of stones. white has like half.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Senor P. posted:

I'm confused, the colored and black groups have roughly the same number of stones. white has like half.

Maybe white sucks? (And Jeb was referring to each color individually)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Question: on KGS, I've had a lot of people ask for undos due to misclick. I deny them every time, and they get in a huff and in some cases walk off if the game is tight. Am I being a dick for saying "nope, sorry, you better learn to not misclick"? I don't seem to have this problem when I play with more experienced players, but there might be some kind of etiquette involved.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Question: on KGS, I've had a lot of people ask for undos due to misclick. I deny them every time, and they get in a huff and in some cases walk off if the game is tight. Am I being a dick for saying "nope, sorry, you better learn to not misclick"?

Yeah. You can at least allow them the first time they ask. Unless they waited an entire minute to do so.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Question: on KGS, I've had a lot of people ask for undos due to misclick. I deny them every time, and they get in a huff and in some cases walk off if the game is tight. Am I being a dick for saying "nope, sorry, you better learn to not misclick"? I don't seem to have this problem when I play with more experienced players, but there might be some kind of etiquette involved.

If it's an clear misclick (they move one off from the obvious move) I'll generally allow the undo, but if they try to do it after an important move I make then I probably won't.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Misclicks generally do happen. I've had my mouse shift suddenly or my hand accidentally touches the thumb pad which causes a misclick. Generally I state it was a misclick right away, before asking for an undo. Half the time I just roll with it, because I just want to see what happens. But in a serious game I'll sometimes ask for a undo. Saying no doesn't really make you a dick, it's you call and you're not able to know if it really was a misclick or not. But if you ever misclick and get upset when you don't get an undo then you're a dick.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

Misclicks generally do happen. I've had my mouse shift suddenly or my hand accidentally touches the thumb pad which causes a misclick. Generally I state it was a misclick right away, before asking for an undo. Half the time I just roll with it, because I just want to see what happens. But in a serious game I'll sometimes ask for a undo. Saying no doesn't really make you a dick, it's you call and you're not able to know if it really was a misclick or not. But if you ever misclick and get upset when you don't get an undo then you're a dick.

Misclicks get increasingly rare as ranks go up, so most of the time I'm inclined to grant them, as long as it's clearly wrong and they ask immediately. If there's more than about a second pause between the move and the undo then it's obviously not a misclick and they can go eat a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
If they ask for it quickly, rarely, and especially if it's before you responded, who cares if it's even really a misclick or not? Would you throw a fit if you were playing in real life and someone put a stone on the board, held it there for a second, and then picked it back up? If it slipped out of their fingers would you be like "NO YOU STOPPED TOUCHING IT YOU CAN'T TAKE IT BACK NOW ITS NOT MY FAULT YOU'RE CLUMSY!!"

Sometimes people play on those lovely touchpads that click when they're trying to move. Sometimes beginners don't notice something until they see their stone on the board. A lot of times I accidentally play on the edge when I'm trying to click back to the game window. Who cares why they want to undo? Is winning so important to you that you're willing to ruin the game for the other person to do it? If so, why do you care if they get flustered and storm off, as long as you win right.

I don't think I've ever asked for an undo, but I don't think I've ever denied one either. If you're playing in a tournament or something, it's your call, but in a casual game, yes, you're probably just being a dick.