Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
All the old guys wouldn't ever shut up about it when I was taking my extra exam a few years ago. Not building it from the kit I take it?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 28, 2019

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Just for a laugh and to alleviate some boredom, and found a few interesting items.

The FCC denied a license to a kiddy diddler because the "applicant lacks the traits of reliability and/or truthfulness necessary to be a licensee." There's another one out there whose application for renewal was put on hold for the same reason. His call sign is still showing active, so I guess that he had his day in court and won.

The other oddball ones that I got a kick out of were this guy and this guy, both of whom tried to get licensed through identity theft. They looked on the callsign roster for people with the same names as them and filed with the FCC for address changes. Of course, after they were busted for it they tried to get licensed the correct way and were busted down under the same honesty clause as the pedo.

The vast majority of the letters sent were to hams that were being threatened with license revocation because they kept ignoring requests from repeater owners to stop using them since they couldn't follow the club rules. Maybe the ARRL should start a :10bux: policy for these guys. It keeps Lowtax in mangosteen juice, after all.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Jose Pointero posted:

Well, I'm afraid I went a bit crazy.

In celebration of tax return, solar cycle picking up, wife's car being paid off, and a massive selloff of all my electronics/video game/excess radio junk on ebay and craigslist...I placed an order for a K3.
code:
You may check your order status by writing to: [email]sales2@elecraft.com[/email]
-----------------Individual Item Breakdown-----------------

Item Ref.      Qty.  Description

K3/100-F         1     K3 100W Xcvr. (Assembled)
KFL3A-250        1     K3 250 Hz, 8 pole filter
KTCXO3-1         1     K3 TCXO (1ppm)
KXV3A            1     K3 RX Ant, IF Out & Xvrtr Intf.
PR6              1     Low Noise 6M Preamp
ProSet-K2        1     Heil Boom Headset
Was pricey, but I figured after running/maintaining old 70's/80's rigs for a couple years, might as well step up to a modern rig with supposedly godlike specs and be done with it. Plus I've already paid 90% of it on the card though selling all that poo poo along with my FT-1000D, and with a few more items ending soon on ebay I'll have the card paid off possibly as soon as next week. And in the end it's still a shitload cheaper than the latest Yaesu FTDX91000MPMKVIII CONTEST or Icom IC-OneBajillion. If it sucks I'll just sell it too and get probably most of the money back, but I don't think it'll suck since everyone can't shut up about it. If I like it I'll order some more options and trick it out later. Also they have an awesome looking bandscope/waterfall display coming out for it soon.

Gotta say, not a bad way to spend three grand. Enjoy the hell out of that thing.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Jose Pointero posted:

Well, I'm afraid I went a bit crazy.

Awesome, have fun with that. You're right, people won't shut up about the K3. Between the Elecraft guys and the "Flexers" you'd think those were the only two radios anyone could possibly want.

A lot of guys who get at the top of the DXCC honor roll have gotten bored and built those K2 QRP rigs to try to get another DXCC with 10 watts.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new rig too but I'm going to be in a townhouse for the foreseeable future so I'm wanting more of a HF+VHF+UHF job. Don't want to plop down $2,500+ on a rig that I won't get as much out of, since I probably won't be on a band lower than 20 meters due to antenna restrictions.

I really like the Yaesu FT-950 but it lacks 2m. I like 2m sideband a lot and there are a lot of active VHF people in my area. I was also looking at the IC-746 Pro but it is now discontinued and everyone seems to have problems with it.

So I'm thinking Yaesu FT-897. Does anyone have an experience with this rig?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 28, 2019

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
Anyone down to try a contact right now? I've got ready access to a great rig.

Let me know.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Phuzion posted:

PS, who's going to Dayton this year?

I went last year and will probably go again this year. Last year I went a bit over my budget and bought a new VX-7R rather than the used FT-60 I was looking for, so hopefully the shiny effect doesn't strike again this year. I'm hoping to land a decent base/mobile trunk scanner this time, as well as maybe find the 2600 guys who I missed last year. If I don't have my General by then I'll probably take a whack at it too.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
Passed my technician test last Saturday and got my call sign today, KDØKLS Kansas City.

Just picked up a VX-8R from Associated Radio and I have a lot of work ahead of me learning how to use this thing. I also picked up a Diamond 2m/70cm radialless mobile antenna. I've already heard some chatter on repeaters around KC but haven't made a contact yet, still charging the radio. The guys at the store said overall it's unfavorable to talk while it's plugged in so I'll wait for a full charge to start talking.

Prince of Dicks fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 24, 2010

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
Congrats on the license!

Sometime, you'll have to say how you like the vx-8r as a new ham. (if i recall correctly, they won't broadcast at 5w except on battery power)

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 28, 2019

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Prince of Dicks posted:

Just picked up a VX-8R from Associate Radio and I have a lot of work ahead of me learning how to use this thing.
I'd highly recommend getting the programming cable (if one didn't come with the radio) and doing the bulk of the programming on your computer. I would have thrown my VX-5R through the wall if I had tried to set all the memories by punching them in the tiny keyboard.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

nmfree posted:

I'd highly recommend getting the programming cable (if one didn't come with the radio) and doing the bulk of the programming on your computer. I would have thrown my VX-5R through the wall if I had tried to set all the memories by punching them in the tiny keyboard.

This. I purchased some random dude-made program for my FT-60r and it was so worth the effort getting the fucker to run on Windows Vista and 7.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Dijkstra posted:

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new rig too but I'm going to be in a townhouse for the foreseeable future so I'm wanting more of a HF+VHF+UHF job.

Have you considered the Icom IC-7000? I really like mine. With the sunspot cycle on the upswing I should set it up again and see what's what.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
The radio shop gave me a list of local repeaters, and I've been trying to use them without any luck. I think I don't have the CTCSS tones set up properly. I'd love to be able to program this on my computer though, I can already tell using the tiny buttons is going to be a real pain in the rear end.

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW
Yeah the PL tones on those are confusing. ICR exactly how to do it, but I do remember that you not only have to set the tone but activate it as well. Also, be careful not to turn on receive PL (may be called tone squelch on those, I don't know) until you're sure that the repeater is encoding a tone on its output.

I learned that one the hard way when I just assumed that all repeaters that require PL to access also encode PL on the output. It's true in the Part 90 world, but not so much in the hammy world (which is annoying).

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Eccles posted:

Have you considered the Icom IC-7000? I really like mine. With the sunspot cycle on the upswing I should set it up again and see what's what.

Yeah, it's a bit pricey but I've looked at it. Is the receiver all it's cracked up to be? I'm an Icom guy usually but I have been looking at the Yaesu's because they are less expensive and seem to not give up much performance.

I've also heard the IC-7000 runs very warm. Not too big of a deal since I won't be using it mobile but still kind of annoying.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

Prince of Dicks posted:

Passed my technician test last Saturday and got my call sign today, KDØKLS Kansas City.

Just picked up a VX-8R from Associated Radio and I have a lot of work ahead of me learning how to use this thing. I also picked up a Diamond 2m/70cm radialless mobile antenna. I've already heard some chatter on repeaters around KC but haven't made a contact yet, still charging the radio. The guys at the store said overall it's unfavorable to talk while it's plugged in so I'll wait for a full charge to start talking.

I'd be interested in hearing about this radio from a new ham. I got my license a few months ago, but I haven't picked up a radio. I was thinking of getting an 8R but I thought I would wait until I had heard a bit more feedback about it.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

nmfree posted:

I programmed my VX-5R by hand so yes buy the programming cable! :argh:

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Dijkstra posted:

Yeah, it's a bit pricey but I've looked at it. Is the receiver all it's cracked up to be? I'm an Icom guy usually but I have been looking at the Yaesu's because they are less expensive and seem to not give up much performance.

I've also heard the IC-7000 runs very warm. Not too big of a deal since I won't be using it mobile but still kind of annoying.

The IC-7000 is the only radio I've used, so I can't speak to the quality of the receiver. I can say that the DSP IF filters are amazing. As far as running warm, yeah, the heat sinks on the back can get very hot to the touch. As I hardly ever turn the output power past 5 watts (I primarily run PSK) it doesn't bother me.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
Good news, I made my first contact. I had tried using repeaters all over the metro area but despite an external antenna I just couldn't reach out with 5 watts. However, I was scanning around and heard two guys talking on a repeater so I waited for a break and gave my call. The repeater is only about a mile and a half away, so I was able to talk fine for hours with both of them. It was really a lot of fun! It happened to be owned by a ham club for my area I didn't even know about, so I'll try to get to their next meeting which is just right down the road for me. A little patience paid off!

Scottw330 posted:

I'd be interested in hearing about this radio from a new ham. I got my license a few months ago, but I haven't picked up a radio. I was thinking of getting an 8R but I thought I would wait until I had heard a bit more feedback about it.

I know I'm really green but so far I love it and I can tell I'm going to get my money out of it. Feels really solid and has tons of options. I think I'll get more use out of it with a programming cable as well.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Radio Nowhere posted:

I programmed my VX-5R by hand so yes buy the programming cable! :argh:
:argh::hf::( programmed a VX-5R entirely by hand buddies

For me, at least, the best part is to have different memory lists saved as profiles in the computer software; when I travel, I can just choose the profile I've already put together for the geographic area I'm going to be in, upload to the radio, and be on my way out the door.

Also, if you're looking to get a programming cable for any radio, not just handhelds, the first place to look is KAWAMALL on eBay-- high quality at very low prices (US$10 shipped for VX-5R cable, US$24 shipped for VX-8R)

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers

nmfree posted:

:argh::hf::( programmed a VX-5R entirely by hand buddies

For me, at least, the best part is to have different memory lists saved as profiles in the computer software; when I travel, I can just choose the profile I've already put together for the geographic area I'm going to be in, upload to the radio, and be on my way out the door.

Also, if you're looking to get a programming cable for any radio, not just handhelds, the first place to look is KAWAMALL on eBay-- high quality at very low prices (US$10 shipped for VX-5R cable, US$24 shipped for VX-8R)

I'll look for it, where do you get the programming software though?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Prince of Dicks posted:

I'll look for it, where do you get the programming software though?

Everyone raves about VX Commander. I'm getting my FT-60R today (hopefully) and plan to compare the stock Yaesu programming software with it to see which one I like better.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Phuzion posted:

PS, who's going to Dayton this year?

I have my hotel room reserved, although I may still decide not to go as we get closer.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

BigHustle posted:

Everyone raves about VX Commander. I'm getting my FT-60R today (hopefully) and plan to compare the stock Yaesu programming software with it to see which one I like better.
Don't even waste your time with the Yaesu software, VX Commander is the way to go.

EVE is the other big third-party software program; I don't use it much, but it does have the ability to set certain firmware flags that IIRC VX Commander can't do.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
Does VX Commander work on the 8R?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Prince of Dicks posted:

Does VX Commander work on the 8R?
I don't believe so.

As an aside, reading through the Commander website, I learned that the guy who designed the Valentine 1 radar detector is a ham. Interesting.

edit: vvv :v:

nmfree fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 25, 2010

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I've been camped out at the ULS website for a few days now waiting for my call sign, and read the recent order allowing ReconRobotics' new Recon Scout robot to operate in the 440 MHz band. The folks at the QRZ forums are up in arms over it, but I have a hard time taking some of them seriously.

From what I've read, I'm assuming that the request was made by ReconRobotics because they were trying to save a buck by using the same stuff they already engineered since they make these things for the military using those frequencies already. Judging from the wording in the order, I'm guessing that the FCC allowed the waiver since they don't expect RR to sell a ton of units across the US. The 'they put in the book that they have to accept all interference' line isn't going to do anything if an operator gets identified and arrested for disrupting a life and death situation, whether it was intentional or not. However, I don't think this is going to be as big a deal as a lot of the QRZ folks are making it sound.

What do you guys and gals think?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Eccles posted:

The IC-7000 is the only radio I've used, so I can't speak to the quality of the receiver. I can say that the DSP IF filters are amazing. As far as running warm, yeah, the heat sinks on the back can get very hot to the touch. As I hardly ever turn the output power past 5 watts (I primarily run PSK) it doesn't bother me.

Yeah I hear quite a bit about the DSP in the IC-7000. Supposed to be pretty tight. I'm a big PSK user too so I will take that into account. Thanks for the info.

Jose Pointero posted:

Well to be fair, hams are secondary users in that part of the spectrum. But still it's bullshit. Would it have really killed them to move their frequency a tad up or down? I'd really like to see their reasoning as to why they just loving had to park themselves right in the middle of our 440 band and it can't be moved.
I agree, and this thing is particularly egregious because it uses 3 6mhz video channels. What if you like working SSB/CW on 440 and live near a base where these things are being tested? The secondary and tertiary operating ranges bleed all over the agreed satellite and weak-signal sub-bands.

"Hey buddy spent $3000 on your EME setup? Might as well trade all that stuff in because it's worthless now."

I know people make fun of it but honestly, I'm glad that most hams start barking like junkyard dogs and threatening to march on Washington when there is any kind of threat to our spectrum. Otherwise stuff like this would be more commonplace.

Jose Pointero posted:

Also I saw this and had a laugh. Shows that the thread title does in fact have some truth to it:

Click here for the full 938x421 image.

Do you use LOTW? You should join some of the email reflectors for it. It's full of old diabetics complaining about having to upgrade to windows XP and the ARRL in general. It's pretty funny. For a group of people who pride themselves on having untold amounts of technical knowledge, they sure are mystified by computers.

To be fair though it's impossible to get any real support for the TQSL software from the ARRL short of "Read this helpful FAQ."

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Jose Pointero posted:

Well to be fair, hams are secondary users in that part of the spectrum. But still it's bullshit. Would it have really killed them to move their frequency a tad up or down? I'd really like to see their reasoning as to why they just loving had to park themselves right in the middle of our 440 band and it can't be moved.

It's simple... They already had them made for the military and didn't feel like revamping them for the domestic consumer. Less changes = less money in development = higher ROI. Also, 9/11! THIS CAN SAVE LIVES! THAT MAKES IT ABOVE THE LAW!

quote:

Also I saw this and had a laugh. Shows that the thread title does in fact have some truth to it:

Click here for the full 938x421 image.

This guy has my favorite avatar/sig combo ever. I've never seen someone so obviously butt hurt over advancing technology before.

Click here for the full 1225x327 image.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
Man there is nothing going on in KC on 2 meters, I have yeat to try the 440 band or others the ZX-8R can cover but I'm shocked at how dull it is

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Prince of Dicks posted:

Man there is nothing going on in KC on 2 meters, I have yeat to try the 440 band or others the ZX-8R can cover but I'm shocked at how dull it is

Join the club, same deal here in the Cleveland area. I've had my ticket for over a year and made less than 10 contacts in that time. My radio's constantly tuned to the local 2m repeater on main and 146.52 on secondary and is usually on if I'm not on the phone or busy, but there just isn't anyone out there. As far as I can tell I can't get out far enough to reach the one local repeater in the 440 band, so aside from a few attempts at the repeater I've never really used anything but the 2m band on my 7R.

I intend on putting up a base station with a nice antenna once I get out of my apartment lease and move to a house, but based on my experience so far I don't expect it to be good for much more than getting on Echolink from my HT through my PC. The local 2m group that runs the repeater I'm tuned to is pretty much four greybeards who don't seem to be too interested in a young geek with ties to the VoIP world joining their discussions.

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
I live exactly halfway between kc and cleveland. I don't envy my chances, you may have just convinced me to not go with an HT.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Well, it looks like the feds finally hooked a brother up.

KC2WTL checking into the net, no traffic.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

wolrah posted:

Join the club, same deal here in the Cleveland area. I've had my ticket for over a year and made less than 10 contacts in that time. My radio's constantly tuned to the local 2m repeater on main and 146.52 on secondary and is usually on if I'm not on the phone or busy, but there just isn't anyone out there.
Not to be a prick about it, I have a really hard time believing that it's that dead; it's not even like that in my city of 30k. If nothing else, the old farts at AES are probably bored out of their minds most of the day and can probably be found on a repeater somewhere.

wolrah posted:

As far as I can tell I can't get out far enough to reach the one local repeater in the 440 band, so aside from a few attempts at the repeater I've never really used anything but the 2m band on my 7R.
I'm too lazy to look to see if you posted this already, but if you're using the stock duck antenna it's worth it to get a third party whip; even my cheap Nagoya that I got off of eBay kicks the rear end of the stock duck on my VX-5.

wolrah posted:

The local 2m group that runs the repeater I'm tuned to is pretty much four greybeards who don't seem to be too interested in a young geek with ties to the VoIP world joining their discussions.
Have you tried to check into a net? I've noticed that the average age tends to go down a little.

Jose Pointero posted:

My station is down at the moment, but those of you with HF capability should look and listen for the response to this earthquake. Even though amateur radio is kinda a joke in this day and age, you might just hear how relevant it can be.
Jesus, 8.8, I hadn't even heard about that yet.

And, you're right about monitoring HF, of course. Best times are probably around both twilights (North-South propogation is often best in the grayline).

nmfree fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 27, 2010