Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
So, just played half a game of MonPoc today, I tried out some Martian Menace.

I'll admit up front it was a joke list, running 5 saucers, 3 power pods, and 3 nullifier pods. So basically, a lot of units, and not a lot of attacks. I ran Ares Mother Ship and her Ultra.

The first thing I noticed is that the Martians are a resource hungry army. So much of their stuff needs to synergize with the rest of it, and so much requires action dice, that you've got to be choosy about what you go after.

Elite Shadow Hunters are worth the resources, even at three.

Saucers are good for laying down Nullifier pods and as support for the Mother Ship, being able to abduct units so you can focus your big guns for other things is a pretty nice set up.

Oh, and Power Dice is definitely something you will never need to worry about. Between the Marauders and the Powerpods you should be producing enough power dice to keep the power attacks coming. Unfortunately, Ares isn't really built for power attacks and is more efficient at keeping the opponent from using them.

First thoughts there.

Oh, RE: Mega Zor Maxim: God he's a punk rear end. I underestimated Beat Back on Blast and paid the game for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I would play the holy poo poo out of mon poc if it was a proper minis game (even if they were pre-painted) instead of being collectible

I hate collectible games

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

S.J. posted:

I would play the holy poo poo out of mon poc if it was a proper minis game (even if they were pre-painted) instead of being collectible

I hate collectible games

Yeah same here. Although at least when the privateer whores at our store play it, the stuff is painted (I swear to god nobody that plays warmachine here has a painted army).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Im probably going to do with monpoc what I did with MTG...buy a ton of common/uncommons on ebay and have fun games with those against my gf/friends and not worry about collecting the MEGA RARE GAMEBREAKERS RARARAR)A(FU)ASFA

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Also I just want to add like a shade or highlight to all of the monpoc figures...the base airbrushing its pretty decent on alot of them, they just lack the pop of good shading

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Im probably going to do with monpoc what I did with MTG...buy a ton of common/uncommons on ebay and have fun games with those against my gf/friends and not worry about collecting the MEGA RARE GAMEBREAKERS RARARAR)A(FU)ASFA

Yeah this's the best way to do things really, and it seems like the sets they release aren't so loving huge that you need to buy like 6 cases to get the poo poo you'd like

Plus if everyone you know picks a diff faction and you all buy stuff you can just trade around for things you want

And it's definitely got huge fuckoff monsters throwing other huge fuckoff monsters into nuclear reactors which is always a big plus for me

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

yeah Im going to buy the gently caress out of that starter box

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

yeah Im going to buy the gently caress out of that starter box

The new one? Imma have to look that up, I dunno what's in it. I thought the original one sucked though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I dunno, I just saw a box set pic a few pages back and assumed it was new and not out yet, but I could be completely wrong

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

S.J. posted:

Yeah this's the best way to do things really, and it seems like the sets they release aren't so loving huge that you need to buy like 6 cases to get the poo poo you'd like

Plus if everyone you know picks a diff faction and you all buy stuff you can just trade around for things you want

And it's definitely got huge fuckoff monsters throwing other huge fuckoff monsters into nuclear reactors which is always a big plus for me

The buy in on Monpoc is ridiculously small for a collectible minis game.

Seriously, I bought like six unit boosters in the first set, and had or traded for everythign I needed. I'd still like some specific models, but they're not 'OMG use or die.'

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Serotonin posted:

This looks good too...

Rumoured to include 24 units, 2 monsters and 6 buildings as well as dice, map etc.

this

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Was lookin' around on MonPocs website, didn't realize there were two factions for each Agenda now. The monkey with the howitzer is loving awesome. And one flies around on a jetpack holding a bomb with his feet! Hells yes.

And the Lords of Cthul have their own buildings with stuff growing on them? Garrrr this looks so awesome now

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

S.J. posted:

Was lookin' around on MonPocs website, didn't realize there were two factions for each Agenda now. The monkey with the howitzer is loving awesome. And one flies around on a jetpack holding a bomb with his feet! Hells yes.

And the Lords of Cthul have their own buildings with stuff growing on them? Garrrr this looks so awesome now

That's the Tower of Corruption. It can ATTACK, and any unit it kills is transformed into one of your cthulu units. And running 5 of them is absolutely deadly. Oh yeah, and motherfucking VOLTRON is coming out soon. Stop hating and get on the bandwagon, son. :smug:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

holy poo poo one of my roommates wants to start up firestorm armada also

ffffff

my money

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

That's the Tower of Corruption. It can ATTACK, and any unit it kills is transformed into one of your cthulu units. And running 5 of them is absolutely deadly. Oh yeah, and motherfucking VOLTRON is coming out soon. Stop hating and get on the bandwagon, son. :smug:

poo poo, the Towers have Manufacture? Metal.

I honestly wasn't impressed with the Martian base, though the GUARD one rocks.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

lighttigersoul posted:

poo poo, the Towers have Manufacture? Metal.

I honestly wasn't impressed with the Martian base, though the GUARD one rocks.

Guard is pretty drat good. I like the SSS one a lot. Shuffle, teleport, and great red abilities. Hell yea. :cool:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I now have two good sied MonPoc forces and have never boguht a booster pack. Ebay is your friend.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Can someone tell me more about how the different Malifaux factions play? Are there rules for the minis in the big rulebook?

Word of mouth and the D6Generation review have sold me on the game but I don't want to end up buying a faction that doesn't play like I like.

For example, Sheamus looks cool because he is literally an undead pimp, but I hear playing the Resurrectionists is like playing a separate, more complicated version of the game.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

FirstCongoWar posted:

Can someone tell me more about how the different Malifaux factions play? Are there rules for the minis in the big rulebook?

Word of mouth and the D6Generation review have sold me on the game but I don't want to end up buying a faction that doesn't play like I like.

For example, Sheamus looks cool because he is literally an undead pimp, but I hear playing the Resurrectionists is like playing a separate, more complicated version of the game.

All of the models have rules in the main book so you can proxy to your heart's content. There's a fair number of minis that have not been released yet across all of the factions. As far as their differing playstyles:

Guild

In my opinion, the most straight forward of the factions: you can shoot, pummel or blast your opponent in as direct a manner as possible. No real trickery. Lady Justice = anti-undead, primarily beat-stickery. The Ortegas = anti-demon, primarily shooty. Sonia Criid = anti-magic, blasty with combined arms.

Resurrectionists

Quite varied in their approach. Seamus = agility and board control. Nicodem = swarm army (think zombie horde). McMourning = similar to Nicodem, but more on the beat-stick side of things.

Neverborn

Again, pretty varied. I have little experience against them as no one around here plays them yet. Lilith = beatstick. Zoraida = good minion control. Pandora = sneaky with abilities that make opposing crews hurt themselves.

Arcanists

The Arcanist crews I've run across tend to mix and match more than other factions. Marcus = adaptability and beat-stickery. Ramos = constantly regenerating swarm. Rasputina = direct damage with a strong melee component.

Outcasts

The mercs of Malifaux. Their "faction" is quite varied, but the thing to remember here is that the masters have no soulstone cache (which you can get by running your crw with fewer models). There are only 2 boxes. So'mer Teeth Jones = swarm army with lots of "comedy" rules. Viktorias = awesome beatsticks, but needs some supplementing with ranged mercs.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Im watching godzilla final wars on netflix in anticipation of playing monpoc soon

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Im watching godzilla final wars on netflix in anticipation of playing monpoc soon

Hell to the yizeah. :hfive:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

It has like every single godzilla monster in it, and a pretty much indecipherable plot :3:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
godzilla movies have a plot?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

Rocking. Sneaking in a post at work, things looking good, so we should be fine for 10.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

lighttigersoul posted:

Rocking. Sneaking in a post at work, things looking good, so we should be fine for 10.

:hellyeah:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

gently caress yes, got another dude who wants to go in on Firestorm Armada... hopefully I can recruit a 4th dude

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Explanation of Monpoc factions, since someone requested it and drat if I'm able to find what I previously posted...

PROTECTORS:
Guard: Guard are shooters. They have really good long range attack. They have a good mix of slow, heavy defense and quick, weak defense. A really strong faction. Their monsters are also good at healing themselves.

Elemental Champions: Elemental champions are pretty well rounded at the moment. The best part about them is they can 'summon' a lot of their units on the board, effectively making EVERY unit in their whole army cost a mere 1 dice.

COLLABORATORS:
Shadow Sun Syndicate: Many consider these guys the best faction in the game. Super fast units, really great attack from long range, and high defense. What more do you want? The only 'drawback' to them is maybe their a bit expensive, but that rarely seems to hinder them. Also their monters really have no way to heal.

UCI: A really bizzare faction that's kind of all over the map. They have good brawling and shooting, but their mostly about their monsters. Their monsters are pretty well rounded but generally lean towards a hard offense. Their monsters are good at healing themselves.

INVADERS:
Martian Menance: Glass cannons. Super fast fliers, hit hard, die super easily. They are the best faction at gaining power dice.

Tritons: These guys have some of the toughest to kill units in the game. Their monsters are really good, with strong powers, but their defenses are low.

DESTROYERS:
Planet Eaters: Before the release of NOW, they were considered the weakest in the set. Their units are hit or miss, but their monsters are AWESOME. Their monsters buff up all their units, and have a good mix of shooting and brawling.

Savage Swarm: A army with lots of utility units. They have shooters, brawlers, and good support units. The monster you pick really decides your strategy of attack.

RADICALS:
Terrasaurs: Mainly a brawling force, but are competant shooters. Their monsters are SLOW, but have a strong defense. They are pretty good at healing themselves.

Empire of Apes: Brawlers! And monkeys! Their monsters are the BEST IN THE GAME at killing buildings. Kill buildings, kill buildings, and kill buildings. The ultimate harrasser force, and they do a lot of damage too.

FIENDS:
Cthulu: Really soft defenses, but really strong abilities and powers. Kind of think of them like wizards. They sacrifice their own units to boost their monsters. Difficult to play, but really powerful.

Subterran Uprising: Brawlers so good it makes the radicals blush. These guys are awesome at ganging up on a target, and pummeling it to death in a single attack.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 26, 2010

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Forgive the double post, but Voltron Two Player Set is up for pre-order on Team Covenant's store. Not gonna lie... I'm pretty tempted. :ohdear:

http://teamcovenant.com/store/voltron-defender-of-the-universe-battle-miniatures-game-july-release.html

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

oh shittttttt 35 bux

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

welp, I just bought some monpoc stuff :3:

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

:cool::respek::cool:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Welcome to the club. :hfive:

What'd you get?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Not had a chance to play yet, but reading through the Firestorm Armada rulebook - this game is awesome. It's like they took everything that's awesome about space combat and put it into a miniature game. I can't wait to play.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Welcome to the club. :hfive:

What'd you get?

a series 1 starter (the store didnt have a NOW starter, and we wanted to try to play this weekend)
a few boosters

and I ordered a few more boosters online and a NOW starter.

So far I got mostly martian stuff. Im playing the necrons of monpoc, :lol:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Speaking of FSA, Im hocking my painted dindrenzi and terran starter fleets. I like the game a lot, but no one locally plays it and I just got my boardgame friend into monpoc, which he likes way more than FSA...sooo.

Anyone who wants to get into FSA, Ill sell you both painted fleets (the dindrenzi battleship isnt painted, just primed) and the book and the deck for $100+shipping.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

a series 1 starter (the store didnt have a NOW starter, and we wanted to try to play this weekend)
a few boosters

and I ordered a few more boosters online and a NOW starter.

So far I got mostly martian stuff. Im playing the necrons of monpoc, :lol:

I have an extra mothership ares for trade too... :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Speaking of FSA, Im hocking my painted dindrenzi and terran starter fleets. I like the game a lot, but no one locally plays it and I just got my boardgame friend into monpoc, which he likes way more than FSA...sooo.

Anyone who wants to get into FSA, Ill sell you both painted fleets (the dindrenzi battleship isnt painted, just primed) and the book and the deck for $100+shipping.

I might go in on this with a buddy, I'll PM you once I know for sure

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

S.J. posted:

I might go in on this with a buddy, I'll PM you once I know for sure

actually, the dude who runs spartan games wants them. If that falls through for some reason though, Ill make em available to you.

Also, they dont want the rulebook and cards (for obvious reasons) so those will be available regardless

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

actually, the dude who runs spartan games wants them. If that falls through for some reason though, Ill make em available to you.

Also, they dont want the rulebook and cards (for obvious reasons) so those will be available regardless

Huh, fair enough. How much for just the rules/cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

S.J. posted:

Huh, fair enough. How much for just the rules/cards?

I dunno, like 20 shipped?