Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
I must say that despite the tap tempo thing, the mpd32 is a fantastic device and works great inside ableton. The 8 knobs in bank A automap to whatever device box is highlighted. The build quality also seems generally higher than the mpd24. Also I think the price difference is nil at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

squidgee posted:

Yup -- if you click on the "Slave" button below "Warp" it will swap to "Master," putting it in control of the master tempo. You can rename scene launch buttons to BPMs to have them change the tempo if you want, too.

EDIT: Wait, gently caress, for some reason the first one doesn't work. That's bloody peculiar. The second trick still works, though.
The slave button only appears/works in arrangement view. I take it that means there's no way to do it in session view? I want to have a clip that has intentional tempo changes playback with those tempo changes but still be able to sync other clips to it. It seems odd that they'd only add that functionality to arrangement view.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

So the MPK49 and APC40 play very well together, surprisingly. I was expecting to encounter some odd issues, but they both work really well. Sweet! I'm experimenting with using the MPK as a dedicated performance controller (i.e. MIDI mapping faders, switches and knobs to live-tweaky things) and the APC as the sequence / launch / mix controller - so far I dig it and I think the whole "3 banks of controls" situation might result in the ability to put together some pretty dynamic performances. Since I've also retrieved my PadKontrol, I'm considering experimenting further with mapping the pads on the MPK to one-shot clips &c. I love the faders on the MPK - they're just the right kind of heavy to push, very smooth, good amount of range.

At any rate, I'm already used to the keyboard action and really like it. It's quite sensitive and dynamic once your brain adjusts a bit. Hope the pad sensitivity kit helps the drumpads though.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Lewk posted:

Here's my settings, with it currently syncing to the keyboard with tap working (well, it works but you can't tap to set it off. so it's not ideal) Pretty sure I don't have anything extra set on the keyboard either.

Click here for the full 651x692 image.

Tried this with no success. At least the arpeggiator is slaved to Ableton's clock, though, and I can use the APC's Tap Tempo button.

Very odd (and somewhat troubling) that we're getting different results with the same config.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

sofullofhate posted:

Tried this with no success. At least the arpeggiator is slaved to Ableton's clock, though, and I can use the APC's Tap Tempo button.

Very odd (and somewhat troubling) that we're getting different results with the same config.

Is your MPK midi clock set to internal? are you on 1.05 software revision? That's the only other difference I can really think of.

Also the Tap tempo from the MPK doesn't output a midi signal, I don't think, which is why Live won't recognise it as a button. Stupid, if you ask me. Hopefully my sensitivity kit will be fit within the week, depending on international delivery. Though according to forums you can do it just as well with tape. But meh, I like bespoke stuff.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What the poo poo is going on here.

Live8, Win7, i7 860, 4GB RAM

I'm consistently getting the LIVE DONT HAVE ENOUGH MEMORY CLOSE YOUR SET NOW LOL message.

I'm doing a postproduction project, which has a boatload of clips (although most are tracks that are one audio file but have been cut into pieces -- master dialogue tracks). No crazyass plugins, resource-draining poo poo or the like. CPU meter is fine. Buffer size is normal. No clips are playing from RAM.

Does it matter that I'm not comping the dialogue tracks into hundreds of individual files? I'm just non-destructively slicing it apart (as usual), but it's turned into hundreds of clips with individual fade envelopes. Would smaller clips be better?

Also, my video playback seems to be lagging behind. When I render it it lines up perfectly (so I know the track just isn't out of alignment), but for some reason Live isn't playing it back like it should. I've used Live for years and there's nothing that should be bogging the project down from a memory/cpu standpoint. Live uses about 900 megs of RAM with the project loaded, and I have about 1.5 gigs free.

It's not even just playback that crashes it. Doing poo poo like SAVING or adjusting buffer size with the project open (and stopped) will trigger the message.

I've done a Live 6 postproduction project with more clips on a weaker machine and it was just fine. Is this a problem with 8?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 24, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Live isn't supported under Win 7 so it's anybody's guess.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Who here is in massachusetts because I'm going to be playing in worcester soon and all the goons should come out. Trust me it will be a delicious set.

Edit - wrong thread but I will probably be performing with ableton

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

thArf posted:

Who here is in massachusetts because I'm going to be playing in worcester soon and all the goons should come out. Trust me it will be a delicious set.

Edit - wrong thread but I will probably be performing with ableton

Where/when?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009

mezzir posted:

Where/when?

Amsterdam Lounge next sat probably, I was down there tonight I'll have a final date in the next day or two. I'll be playing there weekly starting mid march, as well as some other places in worcester.

As far as setlist, it will go from house to trance to dubstep with a little pop sprinkled in to keep everyone happy. I will be posting the sets online after so anyone who is interested can listen in.

I am talking with them about doing a dub/triphop/lounge night but I will have to scare up some definite followers for something like that.

For those who don't know Amsterdam Lounge is a hookah bar with a ton of couches and a nice atmosphere. Plus you can smoke (cigarettes/cigars) indoors on sundays (hookah any day).

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
This has been bugging me for a while, though not to the point where I research how to work it out, just to where I work around it. Ableton will only recognize my midi keyboards if they are on when live is opened initially. Is there any way, with live open, to plug in/turn on a keyboard and have it work without having to restart ableton?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm trying to send a Live 8 set to a friend, but he can't get it to open. He gets a 'The document was created by a more recent or incompatible version of Live' error. I'm on a Mac and he's on a PC. We're both on version 8.1.1. Is there a special way that I have to package up the save file for it to work on the PC version?

FWIW, I'm using a legit version but his is a warezed one. Would that make a difference?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

moron posted:

I'm trying to send a Live 8 set to a friend, but he can't get it to open. He gets a 'The document was created by a more recent or incompatible version of Live' error. I'm on a Mac and he's on a PC. We're both on version 8.1.1. Is there a special way that I have to package up the save file for it to work on the PC version?

FWIW, I'm using a legit version but his is a warezed one. Would that make a difference?

I don't know if that's the case here, but hacked copies of Live do all sorts of crazy poo poo sometimes.

Live sets are cross-platform.

mezzir posted:

This has been bugging me for a while, though not to the point where I research how to work it out, just to where I work around it. Ableton will only recognize my midi keyboards if they are on when live is opened initially. Is there any way, with live open, to plug in/turn on a keyboard and have it work without having to restart ableton?

I can hot-swap under OSX fine.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
In my experience, hot swapping MIDI works fine on OS X but on Windows they have to be on before Live is opened.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I think it's probably a general Windows thing, I've never seen a Windows app that would detect a USB controller unless it was already connected when the app is started.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

^^^ Another reason I absolutely ADORE my MBP, being able to plug in a MIDI controller while a set is playing and start using it without Live skipping a beat is awesome.

moron posted:

Seconding the "Pirated versions of Ableton are more trouble than they're worth" sentiment. For the record, I've always had a bought and paid for Live license when using it, however there was a short period where I'd had to reformat my laptop and it took Ableton forever to enable another license for me. While I was waiting I tried to use a pirated version of live, and immediately noticed that compared to my legit version it was very unstable and had file-keeping issues. When I got my license re-issued I immediately switched back, even though the pirated version included live Suite and at the time I only had regular live. The better stability was much more important.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
So i know I'm probably just missing something completely obvious, but as being so new to this stuff, i really don't know what I'm looking for. I did some of the starting tutorials, i know how to create the different instruments and record sections of them. But is there somewhere where i can stick these different, samples, i guess i would call them, so i can create a complete song? Don't know if this question is worded the best. But if someone knows what I'm talking about please help! Thanks in advance.

*edit* I found it, all i had to do was change the view from vertical to horizontal.

Loose Ifer fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 24, 2010

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

sTickHead posted:

So i know I'm probably just missing something completely obvious, but as being so new to this stuff, i really don't know what I'm looking for. I did some of the starting tutorials, i know how to create the different instruments and record sections of them. But is there somewhere where i can stick these different, samples, i guess i would call them, so i can create a complete song? Don't know if this question is worded the best. But if someone knows what I'm talking about please help! Thanks in advance.

Yup. Ableton has two views: the arrangement view and the clip view. The clip view is the one where tracks are vertical; the arrangement view is the one where the tracks are horizontal. Hit the "tab" key to switch between them.

If you want to arrange clips to create a song, there are two real methods to choose from:

(1) Record a performance where you launch clips and scenes, tweak knobs &c in real time, or
(2) Drag-and-drop clips into the arrangement view.

The first way is easy - press stop twice to return to song offset 0, the big "record arm" button on the transport, then play - then start launching clips and tweaking poo poo. Ableton will record every change you make (including tweaks to patches, levels, pans, sends, add / delete plug-ins, etc.) in the arrangement. When you're done, press stop and you're good to go.

The second way is also easy. Click on a clip and drag is slightly to the side to pick it up, hit tab to switch to arrangement view, and drop the clip into the arrangement where you want it.

You'll note that you can resize clips to extend or shorten loops, edit the notes and everything in arrangement view. Another neat note is that you can slice and dice audio or MIDI in whatever way you like in arrangement view, highlight a section, consolidate it, and then drag it into the clip view to create a new clip from it. Workflow this way is awesome.

Search for "ableton arrangement clip" on youtube and I bet you'll find a better explanation.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

sTickHead posted:

There are two main modes to Live -- Session View (which has a grid of clip slots, and channel faders/knobs at the bottom of each column), and Arrangement View (which is a more traditional timeline view used for building a song from start to finish) -- you can switch between the two with the tab key or by clicking the buttons in the upper right corner of the screen.

There are a number of approaches you can take, but a pretty common one is to start out by creating the building blocks of your song (a clip = drum loop or vocal verse or whatever) in Session View and then either record them as a live performance into Session View (using the record/play buttons at the top of the screen), or else copy & paste the clips into Arrangement View. Or you can record directly into Arrangement View if you want.

edit: beaten

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I found the view button right after i posted, ugh. This is really user friendly so far though, being a first time user.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

This video helped me a lot when I got started on Live last weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIUEyGG8wO0

...it's only ten mins long, and doesn't go into a great deal of depth, but it was useful as someone who was coming from Logic and didn't really understand the relationship between the session and arrangement views. His other Live tutorials are worth a watch too, especially if you're interested in writing trance.

I also watched the Live 8 videos from Macprovideo.com, but wasn't really very impressed. The guy presenting them did my head in after about 30 seconds, and the audio examples he used during the videos sounded like absolute poo poo.

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 24, 2010

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

moron posted:

This video helped me a lot when I got started on Live last weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIUEyGG8wO0

...it's only ten mins long, and doesn't go into a great deal of depth, but it was useful as someone who was coming from Logic and didn't really understand the relationship between the session and arrangement views. His other Live tutorials are worth a watch too, especially if you're interested in writing trance.

I also watched the Live 8 videos from Macprovideo.com, but wasn't really very impressed. The guy presenting them did my head in after about 30 seconds, and the audio examples he used during the videos sounded like absolute poo poo.

That video helped a lot. I think someone should put it in the OP even.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Another question for you live experts... I don't own an APC 40 or launchpad but I like the fact that they create a grid that you can move around to be able to launch clips. I'm picking up a 16 pad controller (korg padkontrol) and was wondering if I could set something similar up with this so that I wouldn't have to map each individual clip launch. I know that I can map buttons to scroll through different scenes, and then launch individual tracks, but is there anyway to create a setup where I'd have a 4x4 grid that I could move around in all directions, using my 16 pads to correspond to whatever 16 clips the grid was highlighting?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

SkandalousPanda posted:

Another question for you live experts... I don't own an APC 40 or launchpad but I like the fact that they create a grid that you can move around to be able to launch clips. I'm picking up a 16 pad controller (korg padkontrol) and was wondering if I could set something similar up with this so that I wouldn't have to map each individual clip launch. I know that I can map buttons to scroll through different scenes, and then launch individual tracks, but is there anyway to create a setup where I'd have a 4x4 grid that I could move around in all directions, using my 16 pads to correspond to whatever 16 clips the grid was highlighting?

Not without either (1) Max4Live or (2) Ableton's co-operation, which you won't have. Bear in mind that the PadKontrol has 16 scenes though, so you could set up a 4x4 grid of 4x4 grids of clips if you wanted, which is pretty decent depth. The PadKontrol is freaking awesome too. Good choice.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Oh ok, I had read about the 16 different scenes, but I didn't know they would all be separate notes that I could map. Looks like that should give me plenty of flexibility.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

SkandalousPanda posted:

Oh ok, I had read about the 16 different scenes, but I didn't know they would all be separate notes that I could map. Looks like that should give me plenty of flexibility.

Yeah, you can actually map any button from any scene on the PadKontrol to any MIDI channel + [note, cc or some NRPNs]. Very flexible editor.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Starting to build some sets and i need more instruments. What are some good Plug-ins (i think you guys call them VST's?)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

sTickHead posted:

Starting to build some sets and i need more instruments. What are some good Plug-ins (i think you guys call them VST's?)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256305 has some good recommendations.

Also http://kvraudio.com is basically the VST supersite if that's not enough to keep you busy.

h_double fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 26, 2010

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I got max for live! Can anyone tech me to use my midi controller with the step sequencer?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

From CDM today: a neat finger-drumming on pad controller tutorial. Worth watching.

pelswick
Jul 29, 2006

i dont care about report card
I ONLY CARE ABOUT GUITAR
when my friend and I plug both our keyboards into his laptop, both of our mod wheels are "linked" for some reason, even though all the knobs and stuff stay separate. Is there some setting I need to change to keep our mod wheels separate?

sofullofhate posted:

From CDM today: a neat finger-drumming on pad controller tutorial. Worth watching.

Thanks for posting this. I'm looking into getting a MPD32 soon so I can be all Fastfinger McSamples and this is an awesome video.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Just about to pull the trigger on an APC40, oh so excited.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Thanks to whoever recommended the book Ableton Live 8 Power. I've got it since last week and while I find the author a little overenthusiastic about the awesomeness of Live at times, I'm really impressed how accessibly it's written and how much stuff it covers.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

FLX posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended the book Ableton Live 8 Power. I've got it since last week and while I find the author a little overenthusiastic about the awesomeness of Live at times, I'm really impressed how accessibly it's written and how much stuff it covers.

Uh oh - non-True-Believer detected. Play with Live a bit more until you can breathlessly ramble for 40 minutes about how its features have changed your life, improved your workflow, helped you to find the g-spot and how everyone should use it, no matter what (even in situations that it clearly doesn't target or support well) - practice this spiel until it pours out of your mouth as naturally as vodka-redbull vomit after a particularly energetic digital DJ set at a club with a lovely sound system and then come back to the thread and tell us about Ableton again.

No, really. You're in violation of Live's user agreement if you don't. They'll find out and kill you, man! Didn't you ever wonder why so many Live users won't ever shut up about how awesome they think it is?

edit: this post is as much a parody of myself as it is of anyone else in this thread or in meatspace. If you are offended by it, please accept my apologies and remember that LIVE IS loving AWESOME AND THE ONE TRUE NONLINEAR SEQUENCER and carry on.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Live is pretty cool but I get more done in audacity.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
How do i make the changes i do in arrangement view reflect in the session view, and vice-versa?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

sTickHead posted:

How do i make the changes i do in arrangement view reflect in the session view, and vice-versa?

You don't really -- if you drag a clip from session view into arrangement, then edit the clip in session view, those changes do not carry over to arrangement view.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

FLX posted:

You're welcome. ; )

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
I also bought the book. It is awesome. Even though I felt like I knew what I was doing, i'm discovering new things and ideas through it. The guy who wrote it's daily tips are also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
How would you guys feel about doing a group track where we each take a couple days on a project then pass it along to the next guy who will add some stuff then repeat?

If hosting is a problem I can set up a public ftp with excellent transfer rates. (The file will surely be above 200 megs quickly.)

I think it would be fun and people who don't want to contribute can still download and dissect the liveset.

The only problem I see with this are the live 7 and standard level users (no operator etc).

Input!