Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the general opinion on 'green' hard drives, especially for server use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What's the general opinion on 'green' hard drives, especially for server use?
They're slow for anything like database work. Randoms suck, sequentials are alright. If all you're doing is serving large files, like a media server, they're fine.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

BorderPatrol posted:

Please clarify. Do you have 2 paritions, 1 OS and 1 Data, or just 1 partition with your OS and info all in one? Do you just want to make your bootable OS drive into a secondary data drive or something?

I currently have just 1 partition with OS and data together and I want to make it into just a secondary data drive.

Fake edit:After a little thought this isn't too much of a hardware question, my bad.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BorderPatrol posted:

Double check that the plug is connected all the way in and that it's in the right port?

Did this, everything is plugged in and 100% volume. My other headphones are much louder, but I want to use the headset so I can use VOIP with games.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I currently have just 1 partition with OS and data together and I want to make it into just a secondary data drive.

Fake edit:After a little thought this isn't too much of a hardware question, my bad.

Then you don't need to do anything really. Just plug it in as a seconday drive and make sure your BIOS is set to boot off your new primary drive. Your data should still be accessible.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

BorderPatrol posted:

Then you don't need to do anything really. Just plug it in as a seconday drive and make sure your BIOS is set to boot off your new primary drive. Your data should still be accessible.

That's what I'd figured, I just worry that read/write permissions will get messy when going into /my documents or something.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just installed two extra gigs of ram on top of my previous two. I changed absolutely nothing else. The next time I booted up, my resource meter shows that my memory is constantly at 33% to 35% use.

What gives?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Danger Mahoney posted:

I just installed two extra gigs of ram on top of my previous two. I changed absolutely nothing else. The next time I booted up, my resource meter shows that my memory is constantly at 33% to 35% use.

What gives?

Disk cache is your friend. The operating system is simply making better use of your RAM now that you have more of it. Don't worry, it will free itself up once a program actually needs to have resources committed to it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Danger Mahoney posted:

The next time I booted up, my resource meter shows that my memory is constantly at 33% to 35% use.

What gives?
RAM is meant to be used. Stop wanting the % to go down.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, okay. So in this case, it was actually worse for my ram to be at nearly-zero use when I only had 2 gigs?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

That's what I'd figured, I just worry that read/write permissions will get messy when going into /my documents or something.

There is a possibility, but usually you can just reset the permission and access the folders again.

You might want to set file/folder sharing on your C: drive before disconnecting it though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've determined that the wireless NIC in my laptop is lovely, I'm sure due to lovely drivers. I'm using one that doesn't suck in my Cardbus slot, but I'd like to replace the internal one. It is a Mini PCI Type IIIB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI#Mini_PCI - picture on the right.

Any suggestions for one? Wireless G is all I need, anything above that is a bonus, so is Bluetooth. The lovely one is a Broadcom 4318.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Quick question about usb wifi adapters: Do the ones with an antenna get better range, or is it pretty much equal to one that has the antenna built inside the usb case?

This is for a computer in the basement, and the router is two floors up. Just wanted to know before I make a mistake and buy one without an antenna and get poor performance.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Is there a printer thread? I need one and it seems like they all suck in various ways.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

LorneReams posted:

Is there a printer thread? I need one and it seems like they all suck in various ways.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3194023&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Here at work, we have some HP P4515xs that print important stuff. They have APC Smart UPS SU2200XLs powering them.

Even with only 1 printer on 1 of these UPS, this is a really dumb idea if they think it will power it for longer than a couple of seconds during a power outage right?

If I convince them of this folly (including a disaster test where we send a print job then turn the power to the UPS off) and we decide to go with a quality line conditioner/surge protector instead, what would you guys recommend?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

d3rt posted:

Here at work, we have some HP P4515xs that print important stuff. They have APC Smart UPS SU2200XLs powering them.

Even with only 1 printer on 1 of these UPS, this is a really dumb idea if they think it will power it for longer than a couple of seconds during a power outage right?

If I convince them of this folly (including a disaster test where we send a print job then turn the power to the UPS off) and we decide to go with a quality line conditioner/surge protector instead, what would you guys recommend?

Would a print spool clear if the printer lost power? I thought it would just fail and you could restart it from the server.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Is there a way to get Speedfan to remember my settings and to start minimized, so I don't have to set my fan speed down from 100, then press minimize whenever I reboot?

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
I picked up a 2 TB WD green drive for media storage (will be going in my media server once I finish it). When I added it via disk management, it was asking me which partition style to use, MBR or GPT, and said that GPT should be used for drives over 2 TB. So I chose MBR since it isn't that big. Whats the difference and which is better for this?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Good explination from Tom's Hardware

quote:

MBR is the standard partitioning scheme that's been used on hard disks since the PC first came out. It supports 4 primary partitions per hard drive, and a maximum partition size of 2TB.

GPT disks are new, and are readable only by Windows Server 2003 SP1, Windows Vista (all versions), and Windows XP x64 Edition. The GPT disk itself can support a volume up to 2^64 blocks in length. (For 512-byte blocks, this is 9.44 ZB - zettabytes. 1 ZB is 1 billion terabytes). It can also support theoretically unlimited partitions.

Windows restricts these limits further to 256 TB for a single partition (NTFS limit), and 128 partitions.

Only Itanium systems running Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista systems with an EFI BIOS can boot from a GPT disk. The other operating systems mentioned earlier can use GPT disks as data disks but not boot disks.

Since it's partition mapping scheme, there should be no performance difference. GPT is really to make transition to >2tb discs possible without having to partition the disc into multiple segments.

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
I just bought a video card but I completely forgot power requirements. I have a 430w power supply and the box says it needs 450w. Will this work or am I forced to upgrade? Thanks.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Alright I looked around and didn't see anything, so if I missed it please forgive me and point me in the right direction. The FAQ says this:

quote:

Q: What sound card should I buy? Should I use my old one?

A: None and no. Onboard sound is now very good - good enough for all but people doing audio-work and crazy audiophiles.

The bolded part is me. My machine doesn't have on-board audio anyway. I need a new sound card because the Soundblaster x-Fi I currently have is a crappy piece of poo poo under Windows7. It's a shame, really, cause it's a nice card.

The native SB Win7 "compatible" drivers have tons of noise when it even works at all. I found a 3rd party driver that at lest gets it running, but doesn't support turning on "what you hear" recording - a common problem with SB drivers in Win7.

So, I'd like to ditch Soundblaster cards entirely, since I've read that all the SB drivers are crap under Win7 right now. (I have heard some bad things about something like the soundblaster x-fi titanium under Win7, but if that's incorrect, then I can try that.)

My requirements:
- I do live streaming audio.
- I need to have something that will do duplexing or whatever the gently caress you call it so I can record and play sound simultaneously.
- It needs to have good Win7 support and be able to record "what you hear"
- Be fast enough to be able to encode live voice and music on the fly without getting choppy to poo poo.

I don't care about hooking up external sound equipment or anything like that, although as long as it meets the above I don't mind extra features. I don't need a 7 speaker surround set-up, but again, if it comes with something that meets the other poo poo I need, that's okay. I don't mind going SB again as long as the drivers are 100% under win 7.

Oh, it can be PCI or PCIe.

Any ideas?

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 26, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Toothy posted:

I just bought a video card but I completely forgot power requirements. I have a 430w power supply and the box says it needs 450w. Will this work or am I forced to upgrade? Thanks.
What video card? What power supply? What other components?

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
Sorry, the new card is an EVGA 9800 GTX and my current PSU is a Thermaltake TR2 430W.

Other specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB
ASUS P5N-E SLI mobo

edit: gah, I don't think mine is gonna cut it.. the card also wants 24 amps on the 12v rail

Toothy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 26, 2010

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
It'll be fine. GPU power requirements are usually overstated.

I've got also got a 430w thermaltake PSU (rebadged 350w) and I've got an E6600 and a GTX260.

DeeBye
Aug 24, 2003

For he goes birling down a-down the white water
I have never owned a webcam, but now I need one. What webcams are good?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

DeeBye posted:

I have never owned a webcam, but now I need one. What webcams are good?

This fed into this.

Just joking, but I am in the market too and I want to know the answer to this too. The last couple webcams i bought over the last couple years all turned out to be the same junk. Is there anything out there that can do real 640x480 that doesnt look like staticky blurry 320x240 blown up? (At a reasonable price point..)

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
Microsoft Lifecam Cinema does 720p and is $49.99 on Amazon.
Looking at youtube videos, it's comparable to the Quickcam Pro 9000, and it's $40 less.

edit: Here's someone's comparison of the two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI66xQeXMjk

lazydog fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 27, 2010

DeeBye
Aug 24, 2003

For he goes birling down a-down the white water

lazydog posted:

Microsoft Lifecam Cinema does 720p and is $49.99 on Amazon.
Looking at youtube videos, it's comparable to the Quickcam Pro 9000, and it's $40 less.

edit: Here's someone's comparison of the two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI66xQeXMjk

I want to punch that guy in the face and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the haircut.

So I guess it's down to Microsoft vs Logitech? Which one has the least lovely software?

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)

bigperm posted:

I have two SATA hard drives, and my computer won't boot with either of them plugged in. Can I boot the computer and then plug them in? Or is that just retarded?

Kind of a similar problem to this guy on the last page:

Up until 3 days ago I was using Windows XP on a 250GB Seagate SATA drive.
When my Samsung f3 500GB came in the mail, I plugged it in and installed windows 7 on it.

At this point during post it looked like this (running in "native IDE" whatever the gently caress that means)

IDE 0 Master: HP DVD Writer
IDE 0 Slave: None
IDE 1 Master: 250GB Seagate
IDE 1 Slave: 500GB Samsung

Everything was running fine until I took out the old 250GB Seagate and swapped the Samsung into the IDE 1 Master slot, so it looked like this:

IDE 0 Master: HP DVD Writer
IDE 0 Slave: None
IDE 1 Master: 500GB Samsung
IDE 1 Slave: None

At this point it would only boot from the dvd drive, although it was obviously reading the Samsung.

Then, I put the Seagate back:

IDE 1 Master: 500GB Samsung
IDE 1 Slave: 250GB Seagate

And now it works.

-------

What I don't understand is why the Seagate is necessary for the machine to boot at all. With both in I can get into my Samsung drive (and Windows 7) just fine. I feel like I am missing something fundamental here.

And while I'm on the subject, should I be running in native IDE? There are also options for RAID and AHCI, and I've been having difficulty getting anywhere with google researching.

thaw0ut
Aug 26, 2004
my question: I have a prolimatech megashadow/megahalem heatsink cooling an i7 920 and corsair dominator 1600 ram with the heatspreaders on top. I was going to have a push/pull setup, but I can't fit the 'push' fan correctly on the heatsink because the heatspreaders are too high. I can fit one single 'pull' fan on the otherside. Will this be affective as having a single push fan blowing air through the heatsink? thanks.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

What I don't understand is why the Seagate is necessary for the machine to boot at all. With both in I can get into my Samsung drive (and Windows 7) just fine. I feel like I am missing something fundamental here.

I'm guessing Windows 7 installed the master boot record on your old hard drive and it's needing it to boot. Try taking out the Seagate and booting the Windows 7 install disc and attempt a startup repair.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

thaw0ut posted:

my question: I have a prolimatech megashadow/megahalem heatsink cooling an i7 920 and corsair dominator 1600 ram with the heatspreaders on top. I was going to have a push/pull setup, but I can't fit the 'push' fan correctly on the heatsink because the heatspreaders are too high. I can fit one single 'pull' fan on the otherside. Will this be affective as having a single push fan blowing air through the heatsink? thanks.

It should be just as effective, perhaps more so depending on the shape of the fins.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Im going to buy my Mum in the UK a PC. Where is the best place to buy a premade PC in England? Is it just down to Dell?

(I would build her one but I'm in the US so if it goes wrong... She wants a warranty basically.)

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)

Zorilla posted:

I'm guessing Windows 7 installed the master boot record on your old hard drive and it's needing it to boot. Try taking out the Seagate and booting the Windows 7 install disc and attempt a startup repair.

It wasn't that simple (had to mess with command line options and "diskpart"), but it put me in the right direction. Thanks.

In case anyone else experiences a similar bootloader problem, following this article would be a good place to start.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
I figure this is the best place to ask this rather than starting a new thread. I found myself wondering last night if there are any mouse devices that fall somewhere between a trackball and a joystick. Something that would work basically like a big analog stick instead of having to slide it across a surface. Sorry if Im not conveying what I mean very well. If I could do any better I probably would have found one myself or know that they dont exist for certain.

Edit: sort of like the logitech cyberman http://incolor.com/bill_r/logitech_cyberman.htm except without the suck.

TheOriginalEd fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 28, 2010

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Just got a Samsung HX-MU064DA/G22 external HDD a couple weeks ago. Suddenly, it has this tendency to "pop" in and out of a connected state for no apparent reason, preventing me from using it and making a loving annoying noise all the while. Despite my trying two different USB cables and three different ports, a permanent fix eludes me. Oh, and the product isn't even listed on Samsung's website. What is this I don't even

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I guess this would fit better in the Haus, but this shouldn't take more than one reply: I've had my WD Passport Ex-HD for a while, but the last time I tried to connect it to my computer it sort of clicked inside, and didn't connect. I tried it with another USB cable, and it worked.

It works with the cable I'm using right now, but the clicks I heard earlier worry me. Should I replace it? I've had it for about three-four years now, and the Seagate FreeAgent Pros are on sale right now anyways.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Jetfire posted:

I guess this would fit better in the Haus, but this shouldn't take more than one reply: I've had my WD Passport Ex-HD for a while, but the last time I tried to connect it to my computer it sort of clicked inside, and didn't connect. I tried it with another USB cable, and it worked.

It works with the cable I'm using right now, but the clicks I heard earlier worry me. Should I replace it? I've had it for about three-four years now, and the Seagate FreeAgent Pros are on sale right now anyways.

In my experience, those noises happen if they aren't getting sufficient power through USB. It's powering down and up when it does that. My home desktop PC seems to be the only machine I use that can't run 2.5" USB hard drives off one USB port reliably, so I have to connect both connectors on the daisy-chain cable it came with.

In your case, perhaps something happened to the cable which is causing similar power issues. I wouldn't worry about the condition of the hard drive.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

TheOriginalEd posted:

I figure this is the best place to ask this rather than starting a new thread. I found myself wondering last night if there are any mouse devices that fall somewhere between a trackball and a joystick. Something that would work basically like a big analog stick instead of having to slide it across a surface. Sorry if Im not conveying what I mean very well. If I could do any better I probably would have found one myself or know that they dont exist for certain.

Edit: sort of like the logitech cyberman http://incolor.com/bill_r/logitech_cyberman.htm except without the suck.

They exist. The most common you'll find is probably the "nipple mouse" embedded in some laptop keyboards - it's a tiny little joystick that works about as you described. Before touchpads, they were the best thing going in laptop mice; some people still prefer them. I believe Lenovo offers a USB Thinkpad keyboard with one integrated. If you're looking for a solution because of limited space, this is probably your best option.

If you want a big stick, you can get software that lets you use a joystick as a mouse. This tends to fall into two categories: somebody's little project that they've released as freeware (may be buggy and have limited compatability) and accessibility software designed for people with disabilities (which is priced like a medical device rather than a simple little piece of software). However, if you want flexibility on the exact nature of the input device, you can't beat it.

Finally, there is a device that works exactly as you describe. It's called a spaceball (no, seriously). However, they typically don't work as a mouse; instead, they're specialized input devices for CAD applications, 3D content creation, and other stuff that requires quick, accurate navigation with six degrees of freedom (free movement along, and rotation about, all three axes). If you're looking for something to help manipulate models in Autocad, CATIA, 3DS Max, or similar software, they're fantastic. They're also a ridiculous amount of fun in Google Earth. If you're looking for a mouse replacement, though, you're not going to get much use out of it. While they offer some non-3D functionality, like scrolling and zooming in Photoshop or IE, they won't move your cursor on the screen.

• Locked thread