Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

xezton posted:

Have any movies come out recently that were mostly non-cg?
Paranormal Activity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

xezton posted:

I agree. But I worry that in this day and age doing something like that would be pretty difficult, given how used to CGI the industry has become.

Have any movies come out recently that were mostly non-cg?

(I guess the video I linked there is mostly just backdrops and stuff... but still.)

The Dark Knight used a lotta old school methods, such as models and sets, then fixed it up with CGI. I'm not totally against CGI, I just don't want the movie to look like The Mummy or something.

g3k
Oct 1, 2009

oh god, how did this get here i am not good with computer

YourEvilTw1n posted:

With you on this. I really hope they stick with the classic puppets and composites, using CGI to fill in the gaps and clean it up, rather than just CGI.

Exactly. The original Star Wars trilogy is a perfect example of the use of puppets and composites. Jurassic Park as well. Classic special effects with CGI clean up would by my ideal compromise. (Btw, I was watching the special features for Jurassic Park and it's really shown me how far we've come with special effects)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
LOTR has less CG in it than most people think. Pretty much only characters and animals are pure CG, buildings and structures are models touched up with a few CG bits here and there. Even the flooding of Isengard was largely done with models and the digital orcs and ents were composited in later.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

haveblue posted:

LOTR has less CG in it than most people think. Pretty much only characters and animals are pure CG, buildings and structures are models touched up with a few CG bits here and there. Even the flooding of Isengard was largely done with models and the digital orcs and ents were composited in later.

Fine with any of this. I just don't want Ghostbusters 3 to look like I Am Legend, iRobot, Legion, or any of the other summer filler movies with the same cartoonish CGI.

Cdishwalla
Dec 9, 2003
I'll Never Use it, REally!

YourEvilTw1n posted:

With you on this. I really hope they stick with the classic puppets and composites, using CGI to fill in the gaps and clean it up, rather than just CGI.

drat straight. But the way the industry is nowadays, it might just be cheaper to do everything on a computer and call it a day. Personally, I lost hope when Indy 4 came out. Spielberg swore up and down that they'd stick to "old school" stunts and camerawork, and use minimal CG. He obviously changed his mind once he started working on it.

My bastion of hope is Bill Murray. Considering his disappointment with Ghostbusters II, if he goes through with making this it must mean the script is funny enough, and doesn't go overboard with ridiculous special effects.

gregday
May 23, 2003

gently caress. Yes.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Just throwing this in here:

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalbyspook/4381639787/

vladimir
May 29, 2003

We're caught in a flat spin!

YourEvilTw1n posted:

I feel like I should understand this movie poster (??) way more than I actually do in reality.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

vladimir posted:

I feel like I should understand this movie poster (??) way more than I actually do in reality.

(look at the lights)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

YourEvilTw1n posted:

(look at the lights)

There...are...four...lights!

vladimir
May 29, 2003

We're caught in a flat spin!
Oh good Lord that was obscure. I don't feel so bad now, though I'm not sure I belong in the same ranks as obvious die-hards that picked up on that immediately. :ohdear:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

vladimir posted:

Oh good Lord that was obscure. I don't feel so bad now, though I'm not sure I belong in the same ranks as obvious die-hards that picked up on that immediately. :ohdear:
I recognized it only because you have to stare at those lights for 8 hours while you play the video game.

Cdishwalla
Dec 9, 2003
I don't know who else caught Bill Murray on Letterman tonight. I watched on the off chance that he'd get a Ghostbusters III question, and, well, http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44129

He confirms the whole idea of killing him off, and according to him they found a way to do it, but he still seems to doubt the thing will actually get made (he also doesn't seem the least bit enthused about it).

Judging by the way he talks about it (specifically the "crazy talk" comment), it also seems to confirm what I've kind of thought all along - that telling Aykroyd/Ramis/whoever that he'll come back if he was a ghost was his way of saying "I really don't want to do this", not because he seriously thought it was a good idea.

At this point, I really hope this thing doesn't collapse. My balls will be blue for a very long time.

Cdishwalla fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 2, 2010

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cdishwalla posted:

I don't know who else caught Bill Murray on Letterman tonight. I watched on the off chance that he'd get a Ghostbusters III question, and, well, http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44129

He confirms the whole idea of killing him off, and according to him they found a way to do it, but he still seems to doubt the thing will actually get made (he also doesn't seem the least bit enthused about it).

Judging by the way he talks about it (specifically the "crazy talk" comment), it also seems to confirm what I've kind of thought all along - that telling Aykroyd/Ramis/whoever that he'll come back if he was a ghost was his way of saying "I really don't want to do this", not because he seriously thought it was a good idea.

At this point, I really hope this thing doesn't collapse. My balls will be blue for a very long time.
I tried searching youtube for the full interview, and ended up finding out that Bill Murray was Lettermans first guest in 82. :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7US7PU6tidM

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Cdishwalla posted:

"There was a Ghostbusters 2, right?"
"Well... technically."

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I've always just thought that Murray told them that because he reasoned there was no way they'd ever actually do it. I mean maybe that idea could work, but I really can't think of a way to kill off Venkman without the film being a downer.

I'm sure if they turn in a genuinely good script then Murray will think "Oh ok that's cool I'll do it", but by all accounts he was burned so badly with GBII that it'll be a surprise to see him come back.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I've always just thought that Murray told them that because he reasoned there was no way they'd ever actually do it. I mean maybe that idea could work, but I really can't think of a way to kill off Venkman without the film being a downer.

I'm sure if they turn in a genuinely good script then Murray will think "Oh ok that's cool I'll do it", but by all accounts he was burned so badly with GBII that it'll be a surprise to see him come back.

Come on, the guy did Garfield 1 and 2! Can't he just suck it up?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

YourEvilTw1n posted:

Come on, the guy did Garfield 1 and 2! Can't he just suck it up?

Probably for the same reason he did the video game, easy money to do some voice work in the studio.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

What exactly happened during GB2 that left such a bad taste in Murray's mouth?

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...

Eyre Kneed posted:

He's just not happy with the final product. He still talks about the first 45 minutes of Ghostbusters being some of the best comedy ever produced. In his mind, the sequel got taken over the effects guys and lost the original fun. He has a quote somewhere saying he had "2 scenes" in the movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Eyre Kneed posted:

Apart from it being a completely unneeded retread of the first film Murray said that the special effects people got a say in the script, so the emphasis became effects over character and comedy etc. I imagine under those conditions there's a lack of freedom there which Murray probably found hard to work with.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
If GB3 does get made, they're just going to have to do it without Murray. He's either going to decline to be in it, or phone it in as a ghost. He has absolutely no faith in the project and is only working against its fruition. Explain away his absence by saying he got married to Dana and retired somewhere nice with her and Oscar.

I know a lot of fans would scream BLASPHEMY! at the mere suggestion that Aykroyd, Ramis and Hudson should go ahead with GB3 without Murray, but let's face it, it's not going to get made with him playing any kind of proper role.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yeah, I don't have very high hopes for Ghostbusters III, as much as I'd love to. At least the game was pretty awesome.

Cdishwalla
Dec 9, 2003

toxick posted:

He's either going to decline to be in it, or phone it in as a ghost.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

At least the game was pretty awesome.

He totally phoned it in for the game too, even though he says he enjoyed doing it. He actually sounds like he's nodding off to sleep at some points.

I remember Murray saying a while back (before talk of the all-CG movie, or the video game) that he would "appear" in a third movie, but he could only be on set for something like three days. That, of course would amount to little more than a cameo. If he doesn't want to play ball, they should just take him up on that. Have him living somewhere with Dana for most of the movie, then appear at the end to crack a few jokes and help save the day. Better than killing him off and/or having him as a ghost, and better than a completely Murray-less movie.

Cdishwalla fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 2, 2010

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Seriously, it was cool that they got Bill Murray to do the voice, but he was most definitely NOT playing Peter Venkman in the game. There were precisely zero instances of his 'COME ON' Bill Murray voice. Just him reading some lines and being passive-agressively a dick to the player.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

I think Venkman was always just Murray more-or-less playing himself, and the problem with his performance in the game is that he's still doing just that; you have the voice and personality of an almost-60-year-old man coming out of a digital representation of the same guy in his thirties. He probably didn't even re-watch Ghostbusters to get a feel for the character, because Venkman came so naturally to him back in the day.
Just comparing Bill's first appearance on Letterman to his more recent interviews shows how much more manic and lively he was in the '80s. More than anything I was shocked at how quiet his lines in the game were, but when I think about it that's how Murray sounds in a lot of his movies nowadays. He probably did enjoy the recording sessions but forgot that he was playing a younger version of himself.

Dan Aykroyd, on the other hand, judging by his Crystal Head Vodka promo videos and his 'Unplugged on UFOs' documentary, has only gotten more like Ray Stantz. It really would not surprise me if he actually opened an 'occult books' store.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ray Stantz always was Aykroyd.

YourEvilTw1n posted:

Not only is this a cool, understated graphic of the proton pack, but you could also look at it as Venkman/Murray burning just a bit brighter than the other three Ghostbusters.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Lobok posted:

Not only is this a cool, understated graphic of the proton pack, but you could also look at it as Venkman/Murray burning just a bit brighter than the other three Ghostbusters.

I was thinking that the four lights also represent the four 'Busters too. I love that poster so hard.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

YourEvilTw1n posted:

I was thinking that the four lights also represent the four 'Busters too. I love that poster so hard.

I've gone and sorted out a print of it from him too, because I love it MORE THAN THE REST OF YOU.

It will fill the void left by my old pack, anyway:

edit: apologies if I've posted that already, long thread.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

echoplex posted:

Goddamn I want a pack for next halloween. Mine is made outta styrofoam.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?

Rikolai posted:

I think Venkman was always just Murray more-or-less playing himself, and the problem with his performance in the game is that he's still doing just that; you have the voice and personality of an almost-60-year-old man coming out of a digital representation of the same guy in his thirties. He probably didn't even re-watch Ghostbusters to get a feel for the character, because Venkman came so naturally to him back in the day.
Just comparing Bill's first appearance on Letterman to his more recent interviews shows how much more manic and lively he was in the '80s. More than anything I was shocked at how quiet his lines in the game were, but when I think about it that's how Murray sounds in a lot of his movies nowadays. He probably did enjoy the recording sessions but forgot that he was playing a younger version of himself.

I'm pretty sure this has more to do with Bill Murray's cocaine levels and age than anything. Of course he isn't as energetic now that he's thirty years older. Few people are.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lobok posted:

Or one of the Ghostbusters having a little more color than the others.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

HalPhilipWalker posted:

Of course he isn't as energetic now that he's thirty years older. Few people are.

That was my point. Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis voiced their characters in the game with as much energy as they had 30 years ago. Bill Murray forgot to voice his character as if he were 30 years younger so Venkman ended up sounding quiet and listless. It's either that or he just phoned it in, but since he says he enjoyed the recording sessions I think my theory holds some weight.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

For the Michigoons: Ernie Hudson will be at the Motor City Comicon in May.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
He sounded slurred to me. Not drunk slurred, but a sort of mushmouth like maybe he'd just gotten a few shots of novacaine for dental work.

Given the sort of stance his character took in the game (sort of a "No, not this again, not doing it, no way, no how"), I'd rather just see him retire than die in the movie, no matter how they work the angle. It isn't like he didn't do it before in GB2, but the Venkman of the game really didn't seem like he gave two shits about anything until it was girl saving time.

It'd be easy for Venkman to retire, likely with Dana, and pop in for a few minutes of snarky conversation and provide the key bit of information or insight to solve the problem.

Better than killing him.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Bill Murray IS Ghostbusters. The first film wouldn't work without him as the anchor. I'd rather there just not be a Ghostbusters 3 than have one without Murray or with him in an extremely reduced/indifferent role.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Blast Fantasto posted:

Bill Murray IS Ghostbusters. The first film wouldn't work without him as the anchor. I'd rather there just not be a Ghostbusters 3 than have one without Murray or with him in an extremely reduced/indifferent role.

Not trying to be a dick here but why? In the old films if you remove Murray they aren't the same I'll totally give you that. But if they are looking to go in a new direction (which they should because a rehash of GB and GBII would not go over well with today's audiences) then it wouldn't be near the blow that some people are suggesting. They'd need the real scientists, Egon and Ray, to teach the new generation or whatever it was they had planned.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
They're never going to perfectly re-create the mood and energy that was in GB 1, so I like hearing that they might go in a slightly different direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ghostbusters Alignment chart...

http://nextround.net/upcoming/thumbs/2010/03/18/Ghostbusters-Alignment-Chart-full.jpg

• Locked thread