Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

brian encino man posted:

Quick question to everyone: I'm tempted to make my own Bioshock/2 style character model but can't decide if I want to make my own splicer or big daddy. Anyone have any thoughts?
With a splicer you could really go to town on literally writing the story of the character all over them. Big business CEO guy, snooty aristocrat bitch, mobster, Actors, Artists, Doctors, Sports pros. As well as that, you could have a lot of fun disfiguring the gently caress out of the body and it's a character that would benefit from a lot of period research too.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Awesome idea. Thanks that's a good way to do it. I'm thinking something on the lines of steel worker at the moment. I could do a normal one and then a disfigured one maybe!

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Alright, my turn to post work. WW2 German Fallschirmjäger model and accessories with a 6k limit.

Currently stands at 5492 triangles with the rest left for the FG42 rifle and any alterations people recommend I need to add. I'd like to get the mesh sorted out and clean before I start rigging or normal mapping so fire away.

Click here for the full 1417x598 image.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Looking good so far but you have a lot of polys in there not doing anything. If you weld some up and visibly cannot see a difference then they don't need to be there. Its typical you get them because they are a bi-product of shift-dragging out the line, but you need to tidy him up a bit. Also, observe how a man stands, this isn't not just left up to rigging, even the mesh should have weight to it.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good point, the body weight distribution, spine and leg bones makes a very distinctive curve when seen from the side

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

brian encino man posted:

Also, observe how a man stands, this isn't not just left up to rigging, even the mesh should have weight to it.

Can't say I agree with this, your modeling should aid the rigging primarily if it's to be rigged. Which does mean slightly bent limbs in neutral positions (not hyper-extended or extremely abducted/contracted). What I suppose you're referring to is this, but just to be clear, don't model the character in a "pose" to begin with, it will bias the rigging/other poses towards it substantially.

From his model, I'd say bend the legs so they're not dead straight, and bend the arms a bit more, relax the fingers to be slightly curled and not so dead straight. The arms at 45 degrees is good, but make sure the legs are straight from the front, otherwise he'll be bow-legged when he's rigged and standing in another pose. He is wearing a jacket so the curve of the spine would be hidden anyway, but it does usually follow more of an S-curve to it, which I tend to follow with the spine rig.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987
So I need to make a fairly realistic looking water splash for a package I'm working on. Something that sort of looks like this:

Now, I can pretty much put something together via photoshop with some duplication and stock images, but since I'm also learning Max I thought I'd try the 3D route. So my question is this, is there a fairly easy way of modelling a splash like this? The material side of things I understand (a nice water shader, displacement, etc), it's the actual model that has me stumped. Any tutorials you could recommend?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Here's where we are now. I think I'll try to bake a normal map out of this. I'm having a hell of a time unwrapping my head with the pelt thing. I'm thinking now of breaking it up into several different objects or maybe just selecting faces will do the same job... hmmmm...

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Zbrush just turned into the program EVERY company will need to be taken seriously...

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=082643

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Odddzy posted:

Zbrush just turned into the program EVERY company will need to be taken seriously...

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=082643

But every other application already has pelt mapping :confused:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

tuna posted:

I have to agree. UVlayout or Roadkill does this stuff anyways.

EDIT: Painting areas where you do and don't want seams is pretty genius. Roadkill is pretty quick and dirty for most small stuff though. UV layout handles more advanced stuff better. Regardless, this will be a great addition to Zbrush's toolset.

Has anyone heard of this site http://www.moofe.com/ ?

Seems to be a good site for HDRs.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 24, 2010

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
A disaster at the bakery.
Here is the low polygon:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

and here it is with the baked normal map after following the Ben Mathis tutorial.

The nose came out great. but I'm getting weird effects around the eyes a and ear. Is this because-
A: I made the low poly first so it doesn't exactly conform to the high poly?
B: The cage is not set up good?
C: Something about the UVW unwrapping (which I sort of figured out)?

I have a feeling it's A.... If so, I guess the workflow starts at making some kind of rudimentary mesh shape in 3ds, zbrushing the high poly AND THEN modeling the low poly?

Alternatively, this is a good result? :downs: If you squint from far away he looks OK.

Edit: Option D: overlapping vertices (though I did "select overlapping faces" and corrected those)in the UVW or something called "flipped normals"?

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 24, 2010

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Usually, it's B. Tweak you cage some more.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Usually, it's B. Tweak you cage some more.

Right on the nose! Thank you very much!
In the end it was a combination of A and mostly B. I couldn't figure out how to get the cage set up where there were creases in the model, on the next one I'll save those for the high poly. It turns out I could have unwrapped it better, I wound up with a very narrow area on the center line and not a lot of space for details on the map. Also, it seems very difficult to get the cage setup really good, lots of tiny tweaks, asymmetrical, only vertex manipulation. I guess this is where you profit from having the least amount of detail on a low polygon model. It's funny because I thought that having a relatively detailed low poly count model would help for a better end result.

Low polygon model; Normal + diffuse/occlusion:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I tried integrating flash video in websites today and uploaded two of my current WIP animations as a test. So, since they're online I thought I'd post them here for some feedback as well: Link

I'm making those, as well as others, for my very first demo reel and hope that they're alright "quality-wise", so I can go and apply for jobs as an allround 3D/Motion-Graphics freelancer. The animations are still not 100% finished and also need proper audio, but I think you already get a good idea where I'm heading and I'd love to hear some comments from you guys :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
New job!
It's that weekend one I took on. Ended up doing an extra couple of hours on tue & tonight.
He kept asking me to make it look more and more dramatic, haha. I love this client, he's game for anything. :)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 24, 2010

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

tuna posted:

But every other application does it in a way that is kind of a pain in the rear end to use compared to this?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Unexpected EOF posted:

But every other application does it in a way that is kind of a pain in the rear end to use compared to this?

They've essentially built what we've all been using for years, except it is different because of the limitations of ZB itself (no component selecting). You're losing direct control of the UVs over "map painted" areas where you want ZB to decide seams, stretching, etc. all for you. This might speed up the initial steps, however you're going to struggle when the computer doesn't recognize that you need something a certain way and you just cant get in and change it.

All in all, it isn't anywhere near as groundbreaking as Odddzy said. And UVs can still be a pain in the arse no matter what magical hyped solution there is.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

tuna posted:

They've essentially built what we've all been using for years, except it is different because of the limitations of ZB itself (no component selecting). You're losing direct control of the UVs over "map painted" areas where you want ZB to decide seams, stretching, etc. all for you. This might speed up the initial steps, however you're going to struggle when the computer doesn't recognize that you need something a certain way and you just cant get in and change it.

All in all, it isn't anywhere near as groundbreaking as Odddzy said. And UVs can still be a pain in the arse no matter what magical hyped solution there is.

For everything I want to use zbrush for this is honestly a lifesaver and will keep me from going bald by 26.

I'm 25.

My birthday is in June.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

tuna: You are right in that the limitations of zbrush are obvious here. Not being able to move or add edges or even pick them becomes a problem when making UV seams.
However I agree with Unexpected EOF in that this is a welcome addition and seems to be implemented pretty well. It looks like zbrush shows you a preview of exactly where the seams will be in orange before unwrapping.

Georg LeBoui: I think most people use Realflow for that kind of stuff. You can probably do it Houdini, or with Maya fluids but I am not sure how you would do something like that in Max without a plugin.

cubicle gangster: That is pretty dramatic, and very cool. :)

FLX: Sorry, but TinyURL is blocked where I work. Will try to get you some feedback when I can.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 24, 2010

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987

sigma 6 posted:

Georg LeBoui: I think most people use Realflow for that kind of stuff. You can probably do it Houdini, or with Maya fluids but I am not sure how you would do something like that in Max without a plugin.

Thanks, after checking out some vids of it in action I think RealFlow is the way to go here.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

sigma 6 posted:

tuna: You are right in that the limitations of zbrush are obvious here. Not being able to move or add edges or even pick them becomes a problem when making UV seams.
However I agree with Unexpected EOF in that this is a welcome addition and seems to be implemented pretty well.

Sure, I just wanted to point out that the hype surrounding this isn't so warranted. ZB now has UV tools, and that's great, but this from CGTalk:

quote:

I feel so mother$%&* ing powerful! I feel like modeling is finally catching up to my imagination. Unlimited Power!

And Odddzy's.. odd.. comment was all adding up to be very :rolleye:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Georg LeBoui posted:

Thanks, after checking out some vids of it in action I think RealFlow is the way to go here.

If you have to use Max, there is the book "Deconstructing The Elements" with Max. Chapters 10-14 deal with liquids using PFlow etc.

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!
Since people usually wonder about target tri counts, here are some numbers from a few games in the last few years, as taken directly from them using 3D Ripper DX.

Crysis

Psycho, 3rd person: 17,200 tris
FN SCAR, 1st person, base: 5,647 tris
With arms: 12,143 tris
With arms and attachments: 15,857 tris
FY71, 1st person, base: 4,825 tris
With arms: 11,727 tris
With arms and attachments: 15,441 tris
Shotgun, 1st person, base: 5,132 tris
With arms: 12,034 tris
With arms and attachments: 14,282 tris

Texture sizes are all 1024x1024 for the weapon itself (extra for arms).

Typical tris per frame: ~1,000,000. This includes multi-texturing, so the actual number is probably somewhere between 500,000 and 1,000,000.

Fallout 3

Chinese Assault Rifle: 5,392 tris
With arms: 11,518 tris
Combat Shotgun: 4,187 tris
With arms: 10,313 tris
Hunting Rifle: 3,265 tris
With arms: 9,391 tris
Small shack: 2,122 tris (textures are 1 x 1024x1024 + 1 x 512x512)
Large shack: 4,686 tris (textures are 1 x 1024x1024 + 1 x 512x512)
Damaged road or bridge segment: 1,084-2,117 tris (about 10-20ft segments, modular, texture 1 x 1024x1024)
Big wall o' used tires: 7,353 tris (texture 1 x 512x512)
Random rubble pile, about 20'x10': 481 tris (textures are 3 x 512x512, but very generic / reusable)

Texture sizes are 1024x1024 for weapons. Arms use a large number of smaller textures (256x256 to 512x512) because of the changeable outfits within the game, and the use of 3rd person view during VATS.

Call of Duty 4

M249, 1st person: 2,267 tris
With arms: 6,631 tris
AK47 w/Launcher: 2,014 tris
With arms: 6,546
Dragunov: 1,863 tris
With arms: 6,395

Texture sizes are 512x512 (pistols) to 1024x1024 (rifle, MG) for the 1st person weapons. Arms are 1024x512.

Typical tris per frame: ~500,000. Again, multi-texturing brings this to somewhere between 250,000 and 500,000.

Dead Space

Main character, 3rd person: 19,406 tris
Pulse Rifle, 3rd person: 2,058 tris
Plasma Cutter, 3rd person: 2,014 tris

Half-Life 2

Crossbow: 2,234 tris
With arms: 3,222 tris
SMG: 1,301 tris
With arms: 2,824 tris

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Georg LeBoui posted:

So I need to make a fairly realistic looking water splash for a package I'm working on. Something that sort of looks like this:

Now, I can pretty much put something together via photoshop with some duplication and stock images, but since I'm also learning Max I thought I'd try the 3D route. So my question is this, is there a fairly easy way of modelling a splash like this? The material side of things I understand (a nice water shader, displacement, etc), it's the actual model that has me stumped. Any tutorials you could recommend?

Ahoy hoy, if it's a still that you have to use, you can probably get away with modeling it by hand, it's not that difficult to model with some geometry, sculpting fluids to get a shape like that can be quite tricky.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ratmann posted:

Ahoy hoy, if it's a still that you have to use, you can probably get away with modeling it by hand, it's not that difficult to model with some geometry, sculpting fluids to get a shape like that can be quite tricky.

Houdini would be great for that.. particles and meta balls :3:

Had to do a ton of that on Happy Feet.

Georg can download Houdini apprentice for free from sidefx.com and check it out. Learning curve can be a little steep though.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 26, 2010

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

tuna posted:

Sure, I just wanted to point out that the hype surrounding this isn't so warranted. ZB now has UV tools, and that's great, but this from CGTalk:

And Odddzy's.. odd.. comment was all adding up to be very :rolleye:

Pelt mapping can be ridiculous at times and I'm used to polypaint, so that addition is really useful, and not just to me, but to a whole spectrum of users.

I didn't try to sound like a hyped douche from youtube but it does cut nearly all the time that's necessary to unwrap (unless it works like crap). We'll see when i'll be writing ''gently caress this poo poo, i'm goin' to ILM wit my hot skillz!''. :)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Not sure if it's fitting for this thread, since I guess it's not specifically 3D...

Being between jobs and a lot of free time I figured I'd make a new demo reel. I'm just stuck at what to do for music. I know I don't want some irritating techno. I don't know how to procure what I want though? Should I try to make it myself, or grab some licensed(?) work from somewhere?

My focus is on modeling and mostly arch viz, so it's not like there is any audio in the pieces like there would be for something more animation focused.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

Not sure if it's fitting for this thread, since I guess it's not specifically 3D...

Being between jobs and a lot of free time I figured I'd make a new demo reel. I'm just stuck at what to do for music.

Most people just blatantly use a track that they like from somewhere and never bother about getting rights for it. Should be fine unless you put it on youtube. Chances are anyone watching it with a view to hire you will have the sound down and if they don't they probably won't care about the music.

There are a few places on the net where you can get creative commons stuff for free. But I can't remember them right now :(

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

The Merkinman posted:

Being between jobs and a lot of free time I figured I'd make a new demo reel. I'm just stuck at what to do for music. I know I don't want some irritating techno. I don't know how to procure what I want though? Should I try to make it myself, or grab some licensed(?) work from somewhere?

My focus is on modeling and mostly arch viz, so it's not like there is any audio in the pieces like there would be for something more animation focused.

If you want some classical the US Air Force Band are public domain recordings as far as I know. The French Impressions section might have some reel worthy songs. They often sound soundtracky.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Dont use any epic poo poo, and dont try to make it yourself unless you've already got an album out. Just pick something good.

Instrumental hip hop (underground, not club tracks) works well. BOC/that kind of poo poo too.
EL-P has released of lot of his instrumentals which may be worth a dig.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

cubicle gangster posted:

Dont use any epic poo poo, .

Oh come on, chrome robots, anime chicks and dinosaurs set to Blade Runner music is awesome.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Watching reels with a track from the artist's favourite band was the best and funniest part of my last job. Lots of Rammstein for some reason.

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!
I keep wanting to use Atlas Plug - Truth Be Known, but it also seems like a terrible idea. DJ Shadow is a good ol' standby.

Regardless of what you use, I always mix in all audio at -20dB, because I feel it's better to come in too quietly than DESTROYING SOMEONE'S SPEAKERS. Maybe that's horrible advice! Opinions, EoinCannon or anyone else who's looked at demo reels for hours at a time?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that atlas plug track is a little epic sounding, probably not great for a reel.
I'd still rather watch a reel with some music on it, it can add to the impact.

I started a horse today for a project a friend of mine is working on, it's supposed to be super muscled up and a bit stylised. At the moment it's more of an anatomy study because I've never really studied horses before.

Base Mesh

Level 1

Some sculpting

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 27, 2010

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

The Merkinman posted:

Muzak

Previously I picked something really ambient that was just nice background music. But for the last reel I didn't bother to put any in at all... I mean what's the point, people are hiring me for making moving pictures, it's got nothing to do with sound. So I'm not going to pretend to give a drat.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Okay so the consensus is pick something non-intrusive, low volume and don't stress about the license.

In the meantime, I have to figure out why my irradiance map isn't rendering. It's all black and a mere 88bytes.

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

Kickass looking sculpt EoinCannon

Here's something relatively old school, i did a diffuse texture (1024x 1024) for this Goblin SDK that was released in Polycount. The awesome model and UV's were done by MoP
(http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=69806)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah I remember when he shown the Goblin. It's so awesome when polycounters decide to throw up an SDK for users to have some handpainted fun with. One of these days I'll work on one.

Nice texture though, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!

EoinCannon posted:

Yeah that atlas plug track is a little epic sounding, probably not great for a reel.
I'd still rather watch a reel with some music on it, it can add to the impact.

I started a horse today for a project a friend of mine is working on, it's supposed to be super muscled up and a bit stylised. At the moment it's more of an anatomy study because I've never really studied horses before.

1. Been a while since I've done a quadruped (or looked at the anatomy for one), but I remember this being area being a big problem during deformation, and you've got a bunch of vertices pinching together. It's right at the convergence of the clavicle and upper arm, so it moves quite a bit during a gallop.
2. This looks really thin, even with exaggerated proportions. Looks good on the high-poly sculpt, though.
3. Tail looks pretty dense. Is this meant for a game engine? If not, never mind!