Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just a fool
Oct 14, 2004
Well they call me the hunter, baby that's my name, they call me the hunter, that's how I got my fame.
I just checked that out and it doesn't look like it. My description is so vague that it could match dozens of those films from the 80's. No biggie, it isn't something that will change my life if I figure out what it is. It just annoys me sometimes that I can't find it, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

The Rover posted:

When I was young I watched this horror movie and I can only remember the beginning of it. IIRC, a few teenage kids break into this old ladies house and rob her of her belongings and I think they killed her. I remember a spirit (maybe hers?) attacking them and killing them, and I really don't remember anything else, I think that was just the opening of the film. Sorry it is so vague.

That sounds like it could be the opening of The Lamp:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091707/

Just a fool
Oct 14, 2004
Well they call me the hunter, baby that's my name, they call me the hunter, that's how I got my fame.

zombieman posted:

That sounds like it could be the opening of The Lamp:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091707/

poo poo, that sounds exactly like it. Now I can't find a video on youtube to confirm, lol. Thanks though!

Edit: Found it on youtube under "The Outing". Yes, that is definitely the movie. Thank you zombieman! :)

Just a fool fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 15, 2010

Pelikan
Sep 24, 2003
Trying to locate a movie (historical drama) that was made sometime between 1975-2005. I think I recall it being about a southern town struggling either during the civil war or later on against the mining companies, trying to form a union, etc.. The title is the name of the town, or battle, or struggle...one word - something like: "Watam" or "Nartham" (?)

I believe the filmmaker also made a movie about a poor black blues bar in the south whose owner invites a an impecunious virtuoso to play and stir up business (competing with the popular bar across the way). I'd appreciate the name of either of these flicks, if anyone knows them...this is really killing me.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Pelikan posted:

Trying to locate a movie (historical drama) that was made sometime between 1975-2005. I think I recall it being about a southern town struggling either during the civil war or later on against the mining companies, trying to form a union, etc.. The title is the name of the town, or battle, or struggle...one word - something like: "Watam" or "Nartham" (?)

Sounds like Harlan County USA.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Pelikan posted:

I believe the filmmaker also made a movie about a poor black blues bar in the south whose owner invites a an impecunious virtuoso to play and stir up business (competing with the popular bar across the way). I'd appreciate the name of either of these flicks, if anyone knows them...this is really killing me.

First one is Matewan. Looking at John Sayles' other films, it seems the second one is Honeydripper.

And if you like Matewan, you should also check out Harlan County USA.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Caught a bit of an old 60's or 70's martial arts movie, most likely Shaw Brothers, but I wasn't able to find out the title. The scene involved a training sequence for a guy who was being trained by an old man with grey hair and moustache. The guy was doing pushups with the old man, and various other stuff like that, using the old man's body as weight, carrying him, etc. It had a very Luke/Yoda dynamic to it.

Pelikan
Sep 24, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

First one is Matewan. Looking at John Sayles' other films, it seems the second one is Honeydripper.

And if you like Matewan, you should also check out Harlan County USA.

Bullseye! Beautiful. Thanks so very much, again, FFD. And yeah, Harlan County USA is one of my all-time favorite documentaries. I can't believe I could have forgotten that Sayles was responsible for all three.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Pelikan posted:

Bullseye! Beautiful. Thanks so very much, again, FFD. And yeah, Harlan County USA is one of my all-time favorite documentaries. I can't believe I could have forgotten that Sayles was responsible for all three.

Sayles didn't have anything to do with Harlan County, although he does show up on the DVD extras.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I'll crosspost this on behalf of somebody who was talking about it in an e/n thread. Any help appreciated!

Skutter posted:

There is one really, really bad film I saw at a friend's, but I can't remember the name of it. Basically there's a warlord guy who rolls around in a gold wheelchair because he's crippled by some horrible disease. There are two heroes, and one hero fights the warlord's minions in a Mortal Kombat-style tournament, and this whole thing is never mentioned again. The other hero tries to fight the warlord (for reasons never fully explained), loses and finds this sweet rear end crazy old monk to train him. The guy smokes eight joints/cigs (never explained which they were) at the same time, one between each finger, and after the hero asks him to help, the old dude, laughs and throws the butts into a cement wall so hard that they stick. The hero's training consists of trying to punch a vase through two swinging hoops that are on fire.

Eventually the two guys face the bad guy, and it's explained that his crippling disease is rabies. In a flashback it shows the guy as a young man trying to rape a woman. Her dog breaks off of it's leash and bites the dude's balls off and gives him rabies. Then the guy fights them using "Rabid Dog Style". They kill him and the movie ends. I really wish I could remember the name because I'd love to watch it again.

e: I should add that it's kung fu (as if that wasn't obvious :D) and is probably 70s-ish.

franco fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 15, 2010

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

franco posted:

I'll crosspost this on behalf of somebody who was talking about it in an e/n thread. Any help appreciated!

e: I should add that it's kung fu (as if that wasn't obvious :D) and is probably 70s-ish.

Dragon On Fire.

e: Better matching description: http://www.dighkmovies.com/v3/165/165.html

franco
Jan 3, 2003
You rock! You shall have the props of course :)

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

There was this movie I remember seeing when I was still in lower school, so it was probably at least 8 or so years ago. Maybe less, maybe more. Anyways, I remember it being about this young kid who had a grandpa, or his grandpa's rocking chair, or something. Every morning before school he would sit and rock in the rocking chair wearing a suit and tie, because the school he went to was some nice private school with that kind of uniform. He also had a best friend who at one point in the movie was pretty sick and possibly dying. I think I remember the main character walking in to his friend's house and finding him laying on the floor with blood coming out of his nose and crying. There may also have possibly been some element of a young kid romance in there, because I think I remember a young girl he also made friends with over the course of the movie. At one point, he's at a party and jumps in a pool despite not being dressed for it at all.

Sorry for the rambly nature of the description, but I just tried to throw as many elements of the movie in as I could. Can anyone identify it? It's possible that it was some sort of disney movie, and I'm not sure if it was ever released in theaters.

Edit: I just did a quick search, and it isn't a disney movie. It also isn't a straight-up comedy, although parts of it could have been funny. It was definitely drama of a sort.

zacpol fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 17, 2010

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

zacpol posted:

There was this movie I remember seeing when I was still in lower school, so it was probably at least 8 or so years ago. Maybe less, maybe more. Anyways, I remember it being about this young kid who had a grandpa, or his grandpa's rocking chair, or something. Every morning before school he would sit and rock in the rocking chair wearing a suit and tie, because the school he went to was some nice private school with that kind of uniform. He also had a best friend who at one point in the movie was pretty sick and possibly dying. I think I remember the main character walking in to his friend's house and finding him laying on the floor with blood coming out of his nose and crying. There may also have possibly been some element of a young kid romance in there, because I think I remember a young girl he also made friends with over the course of the movie. At one point, he's at a party and jumps in a pool despite not being dressed for it at all.

Sorry for the rambly nature of the description, but I just tried to throw as many elements of the movie in as I could. Can anyone identify it? It's possible that it was some sort of disney movie, and I'm not sure if it was ever released in theaters.

Edit: I just did a quick search, and it isn't a disney movie. It also isn't a straight-up comedy, although parts of it could have been funny. It was definitely drama of a sort.
Are you thinking of this kid from Rushmore?

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

It may have been that kid, but the movie definitely wasn't Rushmore. The main character was younger than Jason Schwartzman was as the main character in Rushmore.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Alright, I got one. I made a snide comment on Facebook about having to do research on disaster movies for my Masters thesis and somebody made the following comment:

a friend posted:

u should watch this one that was a Mini Series from this past summer about the Moon colliding with Earth, only watched an hour of it but it was pretty drat awful

Ring any bells?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jay Dub posted:

Alright, I got one. I made a snide comment on Facebook about having to do research on disaster movies for my Masters thesis and somebody made the following comment:

Ring any bells?

Sounds like Impact

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

morestuff posted:

Sounds like Impact

Ohhh yeah, I remember hearing about this one. Thanks!

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.
This might be difficult, but it's been bugging me for years now:

Watched This: on tv in the late 90's, possibly early 2000.
Genre: "Idealistic young teacher in a slum school"
Remember:
This was basically an italian version of that film with Gansta's Paradise on it's soundtrack. A young teacher comes to a terrible school and ends up with the most horrible students they have. Mostly I remember that one of the students was the kid brother of a mafia hitman, desperate to emulate his big bro and another was a transvestite hooker who tried to seduce the teacher.
Also a scene where one of the kids threatens the teacher with a gun, only to have the teacher take it away and then threaten to shoot himself instead.

In like Zinn fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 19, 2010

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
CGI movie about a bunch of British birds who re-enact various WWII British war movie tropes. Came out about ten years ago or so, I remember seeing ads for it, but I can't for the life of me remember more.

Anyone?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Armyman25 posted:

CGI movie about a bunch of British birds who re-enact various WWII British war movie tropes. Came out about ten years ago or so, I remember seeing ads for it, but I can't for the life of me remember more.

Anyone?

Chicken Run?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Armyman25 posted:

Anyone?

Valiant (2005)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

zacpol posted:

Wide Awake. M. Night Shyamalan before he had a major success and started creating crap left and right...

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

The Road Crew posted:

This might be difficult, but it's been bugging me for years now:

Watched This: on tv in the late 90's, possibly early 2000.
Genre: "Idealistic young teacher in a slum school"
Remember:
This was basically an italian version of that film with Gansta's Paradise on it's soundtrack. A young teacher comes to a terrible school and ends up with the most horrible students they have. Mostly I remember that one of the students was the kid brother of a mafia hitman, desperate to emulate his big bro and another was a transvestite hooker who tried to seduce the teacher.
Also a scene where one of the kids threatens the teacher with a gun, only to have the teacher take it away and then threaten to shoot himself instead.

I don't know if it will help you or not, but the American film you are thinking of is Dangerous Minds.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
A few details might be sketchy but its a Korean film about the Korean War, two squads from opposing sides both find themselves in a totally isolated village thats like a paradise away from the war, theres even an American soldier there.

They end up having to work together to fight to stop the war moving in on the village.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

spe posted:

A few details might be sketchy but its a Korean film about the Korean War, two squads from opposing sides both find themselves in a totally isolated village thats like a paradise away from the war, theres even an American soldier there.

They end up having to work together to fight to stop the war moving in on the village.

Welcome to Dongmakgol
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475783/

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Cheers! I couldn't remember its name for the life of me and I've been wanting to see it again. Its a lot newer than I thought, will of been brand new when I saw it.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
This is gonna sound odd, but when I was about 4 or 5, my parents rented a lot of documentaries from the local library. There was a lot of Nova films about brains, giving birth, etc. Anyway, one of the ones that was rented multiple times was one about how toilets are made and work. Only real specific parts I can remember are one scene where the have a cross section of a toilet and it shows red water in the bowl and blue water in the tank, and at the beginning you hear someone singing, "We're making a movie Charlie, you wanna be a star." If someone can find it so I can have a nice nostalgia trip, that would be awesome.

Arbor Day
Jun 24, 2004

vrooom vrooom crash
The only scene I remember is some kid taking this driving test on a computer, and failing it. When he fails, he yells "poo poo!" or something to that effect, and slams the keyboard, causing all the computers to crash. The instructors end up passing the whole class. It's found out later that he did in fact fail the test.

I remember nothing else about the movie, not even if I liked it or not.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Rice Sucks posted:

The only scene I remember is some kid taking this driving test on a computer, and failing it. When he fails, he yells "poo poo!" or something to that effect, and slams the keyboard, causing all the computers to crash. The instructors end up passing the whole class. It's found out later that he did in fact fail the test.

I remember nothing else about the movie, not even if I liked it or not.

Licence To Drive maybe?

Muley
Apr 20, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
there was a thread here not long ago about some african movie, possibly sci-fi. maybe from zimbabwe or nigeria. seemed like an art film, there was a picture of a black guy with antlers on a blue wall. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Arbor Day
Jun 24, 2004

vrooom vrooom crash

Slasherfan posted:

Licence To Drive maybe?

A look up on Wikipedia says yes. Thanks, Slasherfan!

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

Wide Awake. M. Night Shyamalan before he had a major success and started creating crap left and right...

You are my loving hero.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I'm not really sure if this was in a movie or not, but it sure as hell seems like it was. My friend was talking to me about music and mentioned how her boyfriend completely ruined the Habanera from Carmen for her by describing this scene:
A rapist (?) does kind of a dance to this song while unraveling duct tape and walking towards his victim. Was this in a movie, because it seems familiar as hell to me.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Cowman posted:

I'm not really sure if this was in a movie or not, but it sure as hell seems like it was. My friend was talking to me about music and mentioned how her boyfriend completely ruined the Habanera from Carmen for her by describing this scene:
A rapist (?) does kind of a dance to this song while unraveling duct tape and walking towards his victim. Was this in a movie, because it seems familiar as hell to me.

The only similar thing that comes to mind at the moment is Reservoir Dogs. Not a rapist, and not an opera, though.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

the Bunt posted:

The only similar thing that comes to mind at the moment is Reservoir Dogs. Not a rapist, and not an opera, though.

I might be confusing it with that. I know the scene you're talking about. It just sounds like it's a scene from a movie or TV Show or something to me.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Muley posted:

there was a thread here not long ago about some african movie, possibly sci-fi. maybe from zimbabwe or nigeria. seemed like an art film, there was a picture of a black guy with antlers on a blue wall. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I don't know what you're specifically talking about, but maybe it's in here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3243758

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Cowman posted:

"A Clockwork Orange" had a scene like this, but the music was "Singin' In The Rain", and yes, that particular piece of music was ruined for the husband of the rape victim and became a plot point later in the film.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I remember watching this movie on TV 6 or 7 years ago, it was some sort of Sci-fi I think. The most distinguishing thing about it I can remember is at the end of it the protagonist and all his friends go to the evil alien base to rescue the protagonists brother/sister. They fail, and then a narrator comes out of nowhere and says "well they saved him/her eventually, and the galaxy too!" It was...not what I was expecting the end of a movie to be. Other things I remember were the evil aliens being disguised as repair workers or something on the protagonists ship and there was some bandit/raider leader from the beginning who turned out to be a prince or some poo poo and he became a good guy at the end, joining forces with the protagonist. It wasn't a very good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modestopotamus
Aug 19, 2009
Saw this one pretty recently, a detective is hired to investigate the murders of various girls that sold lottery tickets (in Europe I'm pretty sure). The movie sounds pretty mundane, but it turns out to be set in some sort of dystopia, the cities were all filled/made of junk. I can't really remember a lot of it, but it was in Comcast's OnDemand under the free movies section pretty recently, as in a month or two ago.

modestopotamus fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 6, 2010