Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
That's a really cool looking instrument. Personally I'd probably change the pick guard to a different color, but I love the pattern on the body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLC
Feb 21, 2001

acousticbandit posted:

Can't stop buying stuff lately. I'm gonna have to sell some stuff now but this was really cool and I couldn't pass it up.

It's a custom guitar this guy made based off a Mustang template. Can't stop lookin' at it.

That looks loving hot.

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."
Hey, so I got my Axiom 25, mic/stand/screen etc basically everything I ordered except I got an Mbox2 instead of an Mbox 2 Mini. I also got charged for the mini. gently caress yeah!

HundredxNails
Jun 15, 2007
Answering every pregnancy with a Coathanger!

acousticbandit posted:

Can't stop buying stuff lately. I'm gonna have to sell some stuff now but this was really cool and I couldn't pass it up.

It's a custom guitar this guy made based off a Mustang template. Can't stop lookin' at it.

oh man! Its beautiful! How much did that go for and what kind of woods were used?

I just took pictures of my purchase yesterday, and I am so very much excited to share this with you guys!

Vox AC30CC2. I picked it up used, it came with a footswitch, the powercable, an extra set of tubes, and the seller also gave me a ATA road case all for $775. I don't even care if it only has the Wharfdale speakers, I can always swap those out for the Celestion Blues when I feel like it!

HundredxNails fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 23, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

HundredxNails posted:

Vox AC30CC2. I picked it up used, it came with a footswitch, the powercable, an extra set of tubes, and the seller also gave me a ATA road case all for $775. I don't even care if it only has the Wharfdale speakers, I can always swap those out for the Celestion Blues when I feel like it!
Nice, man. AC30s are tops.

I decided to buy that Gretsch I posted about earlier. It's a 1989 Jet Firebird, supposedly a "58 reissue" but it has little in common with a '58. In fact, it has '56-57 switching, '57 inlays, and '62+ gold hardware. The only thing '58 about it is the Filter'Tron pickups. Luckily, I don't really care about historical accuracy when it's as loving sexy as this:

It's also in beautiful condition for a 21 year-old guitar. Just two small dings on the back and a couple cracks in the pickup rings.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Carbohydrates posted:

It's also in beautiful condition for a 21 year-old guitar. Just two small dings on the back and a couple cracks in the pickup rings.

drat that's nice! What'd you pay for it if you don't mind divulging?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Oldstench posted:

I second that

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Oldstench posted:

$1,200 from a gent in Seattle from Craigslist

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

$1,200 from a gent in Seattle from Craigslist

Post audio or it didn't happen.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Oldstench posted:

Post audio or it didn't happen.
She's out for a couple days getting set up for 10s and my recording gear is pretty poo poo. :( I'll give it a shot when I get her back, though. Been dying to run this through my Vibrolux.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Okay, so over Christmas, I decided to start my piano-learning frenzy and found this guy on ebay:

Alesis QS8. I've skimmed the manual, and it looks like it can do a whole lot more than I need it for, but I got a good price on a full size, weighted keyboard, which was the goal.

The problem: I'd like to be able to output through an amp and have it not sound like poo poo. I'm confident that the reason it sounds like poo poo currently is because of an old peavy amp I was given when I was dicking about with a guitar.

Solution: goons! Is there a decent, inexpensive keyboard amp that any of you would recommend?

WEIRD BEER
Feb 26, 2005

HundredxNails posted:

oh man! Its beautiful! How much did that go for and what kind of woods were used?

I got it for $350. The woods are mahogany, ash, basswood, walnut, poplar, and teak. The guy who built it made a thread following the whole process if you want to check it out : http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32151&sid=b39df50184fc94504438d6110c81f86c

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Shipping confirmation received today. Should be here within a week.

HundredxNails
Jun 15, 2007
Answering every pregnancy with a Coathanger!

acousticbandit posted:

I got it for $350. The woods are mahogany, ash, basswood, walnut, poplar, and teak. The guy who built it made a thread following the whole process if you want to check it out : http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32151&sid=b39df50184fc94504438d6110c81f86c

it looks like a Cyclone with the pickup selector of a mustang. what pickups are in it? how heavy is it?

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001

bairfanx posted:

Solution: goons! Is there a decent, inexpensive keyboard amp that any of you would recommend?

When a coworker asked me the same question a few months ago, I told him to keep his eye out on Craigslist for anything in the Peavey KB line. I had found a kb-300 on the street a couple years ago and it serves this purpose well. I think he got a kb-100 for about 100 bucks, they get loud and sound great.

WEIRD BEER
Feb 26, 2005

HundredxNails posted:

it looks like a Cyclone with the pickup selector of a mustang. what pickups are in it? how heavy is it?

The pickups are DiMarzio BC1 and BC2 pickups. I've never played on any pickups like that so I'll have to see if I like them but it should be an easy swap if I don't. It's on it's way to me so I don't know exactly what the weight is like but UPS lists the package weight at 12 pounds. Hopefully it's a little less.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

glennnyc posted:

When a coworker asked me the same question a few months ago, I told him to keep his eye out on Craigslist for anything in the Peavey KB line. I had found a kb-300 on the street a couple years ago and it serves this purpose well. I think he got a kb-100 for about 100 bucks, they get loud and sound great.

Yeah, the Peavey's are really good amps for the money, and you often see them advertised on the 2nd hand market. I used to own a KB-300 too, and I loved it.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002
After playing electric for a while, I'm moving to doublebass. Finally got my Upton Bass. Standard Laminate. The matte finish is beautiful. Nice, nice instrument. When I got it home, my 5 year old was in awe.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, the Peavey's are really good amps for the money, and you often see them advertised on the 2nd hand market. I used to own a KB-300 too, and I loved it.

awesome, thanks so much guys!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

MolluskGoneBad posted:

After playing electric for a while, I'm moving to doublebass. Finally got my Upton Bass. Standard Laminate. The matte finish is beautiful. Nice, nice instrument. When I got it home, my 5 year old was in awe.

Oh man, sweet bass! I've been drooling over their hybrid for a while. How is it? It seems like Upton's definitely are the best value as far as uprights go...

How much bow stuff do you do? I had a laminate Englehart up until a few years ago that just sucked bow wise.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

warwick5s posted:

Oh man, sweet bass! I've been drooling over their hybrid for a while. How is it? It seems like Upton's definitely are the best value as far as uprights go...

How much bow stuff do you do? I had a laminate Englehart up until a few years ago that just sucked bow wise.
I'm just starting out on upright, really, but I'll give my bass teacher's take. It's a big bass. They advertise it as a "large 3/4 or a small 7/8." Bowing it's hard to say because they put on jazz-focused strings. B and G bow beautifully, there's a bit of growl in the A, and the E string is fine, but it's intentionally set up for mostly pizz playing and kind of low height because I'm a beginner. Very loud for a laminate, with really rich tone. The extra size makes it sound giant. After bitching for a minute that it seemed a little big (it's a bit tough to reach the extreme upper end of the fingerboard around the shoulder), my bass teacher said "This is the best sounding plywood bass I've heard." Build quality is nice (I could tell that myself) with no skimping on parts or finish, and the neck is really solid and a really nice width and a great feel.

The guy that was there with for a setup on a 1943 Kay expressed his jealousy after the luthier demoed the thing. I'm sure I'm still in the honeymoon period on new gear, but I couldn't be happier.

Oh, and even after my brief foray into the instrument, it makes my P-bass feel like a toy.

Do you live anywhere near either showroom? They're super friendly there and I'm sure you could test drive a few.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeeeeeeeaaaah.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Scarf posted:

Yeeeeeeeaaaah.

:gizz:

My shop is looking at becoming Lakland dealers... should I pull the trigger?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gramps posted:

:gizz:

My shop is looking at becoming Lakland dealers... should I pull the trigger?

Yes.*

*(please note I am an endorsing artist for lakland but even if I weren't I'd say yes ;) )

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
After years of pining for boutique amps, I've come to the conclusion that this is the greatest amp ever:

And it will be mine within the next month.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Scarf posted:

(please note I am an endorsing artist for lakland but even if I weren't I'd say yes ;))

How does one acquire such a position in life?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Edit: Oh hey, there's an effects pedal Q/A thread, nm sorry

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 27, 2010

Tommy Tighthole
Aug 19, 2008
I was browsing the pedal thread the other day when it made me finally say gently caress it and buy this bad boy:

I always wanted one, but was too much of a cheap rear end to shell out the dough. Post purchase, I don't feel an ounce of regret. Now get ready for some pentatonic scale abuse!

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

There it is, finally got my entire rig together. I'm amazed at how fantastic it sounds! Getting a better power supply for the pedal board this week, to cut the hum.

Also, my hosting....

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

DaFuente posted:

After years of pining for boutique amps, I've come to the conclusion that this is the greatest amp ever:

And it will be mine within the next month.

God dammit.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Welp, I returned the Spider IV 75 I bought last month. The effect pack they rolled out hosed up all the models, and while I was still iffy on it before, after the update it was just way too harsh and brittle sounding. Today was the last day I could return it, so I figured instead of seeing if they fix it I'd return it and look for something else.

So...what should I try next? I'm looking for a 112 that can shred without needing any pedals for under $600. Do I just suck it up and order the 6505+ 112? Anything cool used I should keep an eye out for?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

$345 on Amazon,, a full $100 cheaper than MF, and one of 3 left in stock.

God help me, it's a Floyd Rose.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

warwick5s posted:

Do I just suck it up and order the 6505+ 112?

Yes.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

warwick5s posted:

Yes.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

warwick5s posted:

No. Yes.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

warwick5s posted:

So...what should I try next? I'm looking for a 112 that can shred without needing any pedals for under $600. Do I just suck it up and order the 6505+ 112? Anything cool used I should keep an eye out for?
There's a Laney Pro-50 (50w 1x12) near me in near-perfect condition for $200 + tax. It's basically a JCM800, depending on what type of sound you're looking for.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Got a few goodies in the last few days:

Was on sale at GC (looks like it is at music123.com as well). Was gonna drop $20 on a guitar stand, figured may as well spend $50 and get this 3 guitar stand and save some space in my room.

and...

Picked this up on CL for $75. A version 3 model. Already got 1 noise complaint (only have a mesa rectifier 2x12 cab), need to buy/make a cable that goes from 1/4" to spade connectors so I can use the speaker in my fried Fender amp.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'm wondering what the general consensus on something like this is.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm wondering what the general consensus on something like this is.

Personally, I love Guitar Rig. I think it sounds amazing, is super easy to use, has awesome effects that would cost $1000's to get in pedal form and can do so much more.

<can of worms>
Of course there are going to be a good number of guitarists who say that it sounds obviously fake/nothing like a real amp/blah blah blah, but I think their full of poo poo. If you were to stick them is a control room and A/b a guitar amp mic'd up in the next room and Guitar Rig, they wouldn't be able to tell you which was which.
</can of worms>

Here is Gustavo Guerra rocking on GR3 - you can here for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRznxYzrMKY

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

Oldstench posted:

<can of worms>
Of course there are going to be a good number of guitarists who say that it sounds obviously fake/nothing like a real amp/blah blah blah, but I think their full of poo poo. If you were to stick them is a control room and A/b a guitar amp mic'd up in the next room and Guitar Rig, they wouldn't be able to tell you which was which.
</can of worms>

Has someone ever made a little web applet test with sound clips from which to determine if it's a modeler or a tube amp? I'd love take it and see the bell curve of everyone's results.

In my experience modelers are pretty useful for clean, low-gain settings. At higher gain with chords in particular they sound less accurate. By metal-level uberdistortion they start to sound more similar again.