Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's cool dude, my reply probably reads as snarkier than I intended.

Jesus I scrolled past pointy-fist sergeant and his eyes are driving me insane. I have got to fix those this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
So:

Some basing tips/ideas printed out on a page or two

off white static grass
med green static grass
dead greyish static grass
light green clump turf
medium green clump turf
dark green clump turf
3 different colors of that thrush looking stuff
cork sheeting
my SWEETASS CUSTOM BALLAST
soft flake snow

these things could all be yours!

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Alright so in light of the Deffrolla clarifications I absolutely MUST buy a Monster Truck kit to Orkify into a Battlewagon and call it Da Krusha. Anyone know where I can find one that is a vaguely correct scale with massive wheels?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just get one of those 1/8 scale Power Wheels one and let your kid drive it around on the table

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Fyrbrand I really love your bases. The snow looks all powdery and great. But salamanders on a snow planet? Ski holiday?

I actually intend to do this too. Fire and ice, buddy. :respek:

Anphrax posted:

Space tits.

:dogout:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fyrbrand posted:

This captain and mine captain must :respek:

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 25, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

IT HAPPENED

:frogsiren: Buy my basing materials. They are cheap as gently caress and you get way more than THUNDERFORCE 10 or whatever

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271910

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 25, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So... am I greenstuffing wrong? I wet my fingers and my sculpting tool, but that poo poo sticks to everything I don't want it to, regardless.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So... am I greenstuffing wrong? I wet my fingers and my sculpting tool, but that poo poo sticks to everything I don't want it to, regardless.

I usually have a good water puddle going on the surface I'm working on. It should help.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

How long before you started to sculpt detail?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

GS is kind of a bitch. Some people use light oils, try that instead of water I guess

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Another Greenstuff tip: don't be like me; make sure you greenstuff the right model

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Another Greenstuff tip: don't be like me; make sure you greenstuff the right model

I want to hear the story behind this one.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I just grabbed the wrong body and added a big strap. I was somehow oblivious to the fact until I was done.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

You didn't notice until after it dried? Or did you manage to scrape it off before it cured?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I liked the job I did so I'm just going to have to do something different for the dude who was going to get the strap. It's just annoying that my plan didn't work out for such a dumb reason.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Call it a happy accident: no regrets!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

IT HAPPENED

:frogsiren: Buy my basing materials. They are cheap as gently caress and you get way more than THUNDERFORCE 10 or whatever

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271910

You should add this information to the OP, PV.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
I use vaseline for sculpting. Just be careful you don't get it on the areas you need to stick, and wipe it off before you prime. It does work very well though.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
crosspost from oath thread, wip fire dragon, im working on with layered blending on the helmet. it's a bit more pronounced to brighter colour extremes in real life, still havent gotten daylight bulbs and side walls for a lightbox

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Yog-Sothoth posted:

crosspost from oath thread, wip fire dragon, im working on with layered blending on the helmet. it's a bit more pronounced to brighter colour extremes in real life, still havent gotten daylight bulbs and side walls for a lightbox

Wow, thats amazingly well done. If it photographs that smoothly it must be beautiful in real life.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Some people lightly grease their tools + gs with vaseline which I found helped

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Your blend is smooth as silk well done. Out of curiosity, did you use any extra agents in your paint? Or just water?

I couldn't get a blend with just water, and have been experimenting with matte medium and flow retarder. Just wondered what you used?

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
Holy poo poo the blending on that fire dragon is perfect, and the gems are popping.

woo finished my oath =)

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Yog-Sothoth posted:

When did the Eldar start sporting sexy Flanders pants?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

CyberLord XP posted:

When did the Eldar start sporting sexy Flanders pants?

stupid sexy eldar

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Combaticus posted:

Holy poo poo the blending on that fire dragon is perfect, and the gems are popping.

woo finished my oath =)

holy fukkkkkk more pics

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

How long before you started to sculpt detail?

I haven't even gotten that far. This was just me shoving gs into five slottabases for some Witch Elves. That poo poo stuck to me, stuck to the tool, but refused to stick to the base or the model.

I drat near broke out my tube of putty, but it finally worked; I think I was dinking around so long it wound up setting enough or something.

I guess my GS sculpting test will be when my Doombull arrives.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I haven't even gotten that far. This was just me shoving gs into five slottabases for some Witch Elves. That poo poo stuck to me, stuck to the tool, but refused to stick to the base or the model.

I drat near broke out my tube of putty, but it finally worked; I think I was dinking around so long it wound up setting enough or something.

I guess my GS sculpting test will be when my Doombull arrives.
What was your mix ratio like? That sounds like you had more yellow in there than needed, which makes it much softer and stickier. If you're just plugging gaps in the base, you can go heavier on the blue in the mix, which makes it stiffer and less gooey.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

PaintVagrant posted:

holy fukkkkkk more pics

Here you go

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

So I have a bunch of plasticard in all different textures but I need to grab some girders, tubes, rods and that sort of stuff.

Im missing the modelling shop in my old town, there is nothing here outside of a basic GW. Anyone got any recommendations on internet sources?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Plastruct seems to have pretty much everything I can imagine needing. Sometimes I want to build stuff just for an excuse to order crazy construction pieces from them.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Plastruct seems to have pretty much everything I can imagine needing. Sometimes I want to build stuff just for an excuse to order crazy construction pieces from them.

Yeah! Thats the stuff I have remnants of, that they sell in my old store. I didnt think to check for the name. :downs:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

plastruct owns

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I am going here today

http://www.michtoy.com/

:awesome:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

PaintVagrant posted:

I am going here today

http://www.michtoy.com/

:awesome:

I loving love that store. They're where I go for all my 54mm scale Napoleonics. Speaking of which, PV I would love to see you take a crack at a large-scale redcoat or French Guard cavalryman.

R.S. Gumby posted:

Nice warhound.

Working on one of those myself, and have more or less finished the legs, waist and weapons. The main hull is built, but not detailed.

Here's the Vulcan megabolter I just finished:

I'd like to requote this to let you know that your megabolter has inspired me to go back and do more detail work on mine. I had originally planned on leaving it, as I wasn't really happy with the design at all, but I borrowed some of the design elements you've used to make my megabolter far less ugly. I've gotten quite a bit of work on the titan done, so I should have some photo updates soon.

EDIT: I also got a little hot under the collar last night and started plugging away at a Knight Paladin/Lancer in 28mm scale for shits and grins.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 25, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

maybe one day, i havent tried much 54mm scale stuff

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

PaintVagrant posted:

maybe one day, i havent tried much 54mm scale stuff

I find that it's a really nice diversion from 28mm. Andrea, Historex and even Airfix have some really nice models that I like in that scale and it's really fun working on something that size... though really it's not that different from working on a wraithlord, or some other tall model with vaguely human proportions.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive got an eldar ranger inquisitor model, but I havent even considered trying to do it justice yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Fearless posted:

I'd like to requote this to let you know that your megabolter has inspired me to go back and do more detail work on mine. I had originally planned on leaving it, as I wasn't really happy with the design at all, but I borrowed some of the design elements you've used to make my megabolter far less ugly. I've gotten quite a bit of work on the titan done, so I should have some photo updates soon.

Well, I really liked your use of the land raider engine bit in the back, and am stealing that idea, if I can just find one. I'm also seriously considering rebuilding the feet on mine, seeing how good yours look. Mine are much simpler and without hydraulics. It'll probably be a week or two before I do any more work on it. drat you, real life for interfering with my hobbies.

• Locked thread